Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Starfield: finally you can be faaaaaat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Now I understand why they are making this game pass and arent going to try to sell it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kinda telling that Redfall got introduced as 'by the guys who made Dishonored and Prey' because drat is Deathloop getting memory holed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think you can make an Isolation sequel - it is already exactly as long as 'the game where you hide from the alien' can be without outstaying its welcome. I think you can maybe make an Isolation sequel that's more of a slow-paced horror version of Colonial Marines but I don't know who that game is being made for.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm betting that given they're not actually saying anything about Scorn's gameplay that it's a glorified walking simulator and the imagery is all there is to it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There was literally a 10 year gap between Fallout releases and it didn't matter.

The thing about these vast moddable games Bethesda makes is that each game has to be a spectacular that moves the dial or people will stop buying them. Ping ponging between Sci-fi and Fantasy settings while iterating on core mechanics is a good move for them.

(As everyone knows they really need a fundamental game engine change but thats a huge leap to make when money is being made right now)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Criss-cross posted:

They also had an outsourced Episode 4 in the works, alongside Episode 3 that was in the works internally.

Steam means Valve doesn't have to develop games, and developing games has less potential return than improving anything for Stream.

Half Life is also just a million miles away from where the FPS genre is today. If they try to make a sequel either people will complain that it plays like a 15 year old game, or they'll complain that it doesn't feel like Half Life.

Thats why the last game was Alyx: Valve are capable of doing more half life if it means doing something new and interesting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with 5 is that its just 4 with a less interesting map, story, and the new mechanics were all bad and annoying. Also Ubi tipping their toes into 'what if every game we make is co-op by design?'

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The new format for AC was to make the games even more repetitive and boring though.

The gameplay absolutely needed a reboot (Syndicate is in hindsight a very strong game, its just everyone was exhausted of the formula by the time it came out). Origins was fresh, Odyssey fun for Tutorial Island, Valhalla very much less so.

Ubisoft are currently silent on the next steps for all their top open-world lineups so hopefully they're reevaluating their plan to make everything bland and identical.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

Shrug I overall had quite a bit of fun with Fallen Order, dropping into a mob of stormtroopers, having one yell 'big mistake Jedi' and then having them start yelling 'oh.. oh no.. run!' as you lightsaber murder them never got old. There's a lot they could improve on in the next game though for sure.

Those bits of the game are fun, but also why they shouldn't have tried to make a Souls-esque game and instead should have focused on being a mix of Jedi Knight and Uncharted.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

I tried a Shadowrun game, it made me want to continue my Wasteland 3 game. Not saying I didn't like it, I just forgot about my Wasteland 3 game.

Returns is so-so but Dragonfall and Hong Kong are two of the best modern RPGs made.

Also I don't understand people who like Wasteland.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

I'm playing Returns whenever I can get away from ESO and it is the most jam of all my jams. If the others are better I'm thrilled.

Returns took me from 'I have no idea what Shadowrun is' to 'Oh wow this is some really great storytelling in a really engaging setting' but then when you play Dragonfall you will realise within about 60 seconds 'oh the actual gameplay of Returns was actually pretty crap wasn't it?'

It turns out cover mechanics are quite important in a turn based shooty RPG

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

It’s very funny

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Enemy Territory was good and there's a gap right now between Battlefield 'realistic' style open map objective games and Overwatch style zaney power FPS's.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

looks like the X is still the best value

It kinda depends. If you are comparing all possible options then the X is fantastic value (particularly if you try to spec up a gaming PC that would perform similarly). But for the same price you can get an S and about 3 years of Game Pass - which more and more will include game streaming options. If you really need to minimise your spend then the S is a strong choice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Huh, in the UK the expansion SSD is 35% off.

I'm still not buying one I'll delete games I'm not playing for free.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MoHAA was the testbed for the 'we're gonna put the player in a scene from a war film they just watched' and then COD1 took that and dialled it all the way up to 10.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

You don't play Fallout or TES games because you want to have an FPS experience, you doofus. You just don't GET Bethesda, man.

Yeah you play Fallout 4 to find out what 1st person Sims is like (it's not good).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There is nothing in FO3 as remotely as bad as Tutorial temple. There, I said it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My problem is I play this kind of game for the combat and on that basis there just isn't much of a reason to look at those games twice when Arkham Knight and Shadow of War exist. If you want a fun action combat game, it's Shadow of War. If you like the Predator sections and Riddler puzzles then play Batman.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zat posted:

Watch Dogs 2 on Game Pass is a nice surprise. I tried it years ago but got distracted.

I know Ubisoft have tipped their toes in before but that plus AC: Origins plus Far Cry 5 does indicate a pattern of 'gently caress it lets put the penultimate game of each earies on Game Pass, nobody buys our Ubi+ package anyway.'

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wildlands was interesting and fun as long as you
1) play coop, not single player
2) set yourselves the goal of trying hard not to raise alarms
3) don't do dumb stuff like get a helicopter, land on the target, shoot them and fly away to instantly beat every mission.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

lmao what's wrong with console executives. the games splash screens can't mention the other big companies, even though you buy them and the games from a store which is nothing but advertising for the big 3

There are a distressing number of people in the world who's opinions and behaviour are strongly influenced by the last thing they saw. Advertising and branding execs understand this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Finally got around to playing Two Point Campus. What a fun game! It's really the same as Two Point Hospital but the setting is much nicer.

Thank you for reminding me it's out!

They've really captured that tongue-in-cheek 90's fun factor that the original Theme Hospital had with these games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay I've mucked about with Two Point Campus and I really like it - it seems to solve the core problem of Hospital in that the trick to that game was to ignore amenities and comfort and all of that in favour of establishing the most optimal diagnosis-to-treatment conveyor belt possible. The fact that you get students at the start of the year and they are around for the academic year no matter what means you do have to work the scenario puzzle.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do, it's very easy it'll connect to both just by hitting the connect button (although I connect to my PC via usb and I don't actually use it with the xbox - I think the regular new controllers are perfectly good and have a similar hold.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with franchises isn't that they outstay their welcome, it's that a franchise business model incentivises publishers to insist that studios put out a game every two years like clockwork (or even every year if you are a sports game). That leads to creative burnout as there's time for long term thinking about gameplay and even less time to experiment and implement changes, so the franchise gets stale.

Anyone who can avoid this trap can keep their franchise running forever, see Rockstar and Bethesda who have the success and credibility to insist on taking 5 years per release.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh poo poo, sudden Expeditions: Rome.

I still need to play my way through Conquistadors and Vikings but this is def on my list.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve been eyeing both Batman and Shadow of Mordor to play next off game pass. Is Mordor the obvious choice?

They're both great games and Mordor takes the Batman combat mechanics to do its own thing. Batman is all bespoke content and story, and tries to pace between combat, stealth, puzzle and car sections. Mordor is just out and out hunting procgen orc leaders and then doing things like having 4 of your warlords gang up on the bodyguard of the fort leader and then take his place and then stab the fort leader in the back when you attack.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I will never forgive Volition for not making Freespace 3.

e: yes I know its not their fault

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So, Midnight Fight Express. It's a game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Can't work out if Immortality is really good or if Sam Barlow just invented the jigsaw and everyone is too afraid to admit it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Its difficult to consider much Immortality discussion a spoiler unless you are talking about the literal character ends because someone could spend hours and never see it or stumble into it in the first click.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lammasu posted:

How scary is Immortal? Is it something I should play during the daytime?

It depends how scared you are of boobs

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the annoying thing about Immortality is that on the one hand I'm kinda done with it because I've kinda got enough of the story to understand what happened and the mechanics gimmick just doesn't grip me, but on the other hand my compulsive desire to 100% stuff before I fully move on is holding me back from deleting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FYI ubisoft are offering free 1 month trials of ubi+ which I am taking as effectively free Far Cry

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeRabsitch posted:

After Valheim, Hardspace, and now Dyson Sphere Program I don't think I'm going to buy any of the early access PC darlings anymore since they always seem to come to Game Pass. Xbox say winning

I'm grumpy that Total Warhammer doesn't read my Steam purchases so I can't immortal empires it up, but otherwise this is a pretty great eand of year run they're on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

404notfound posted:

You're not remembering wrong. In the first series Lee gets bitten on his arm and you have to decide whether to self-amputate or not

And that wasn't gratuitous at all, the game is asking you under time pressure do you have hope Lee is going to survive the game or not

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prey is just System Shock without an antagonist or viably fun combat gameplay so who played it got a nostalgia rush and then everyone stopped talking about it shortly afterwards because it doesn't really do anything new.

The moral of the story is maybe don't make the unique selling point of your game be that the gimmick of the weakest and most common enemy is that they're incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It is starting to feel a little bit like GTA is the game Rockstar make to make several billion dollars, which then gives them space to spend years making Red Dead to show off that they have real artistic talent.

Also GTA is fun and good which is why it's the biggest game ever.