Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

univbee posted:

You're going to be so jealous of my rocket horse.

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.

Finding a 1080p 32" TV in 2018 is a proper hunt. The manufacturers obviously know that only people who don't know any better (so they get the HD Ready crap) or people with space constraints (who will begrudgingly pay a premium - the model I got for my parents cost more than the 43" 4K alternative) want them at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

So does this come with a digital version of 13? Because that never got a digital version.

Ill rebuy it, the best Final Fantasy

You can buy a used 360 disc and entering it into the console will automatically start downloading the X1X enhanced version. You still need the disc as DRM, though.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Have you noticed that 15 is pretty much the inverse of 13, map-wise? Giant open area with sidequests and stuff to gently caress around with followed by a 20-hour corridor, instead of a 20-hour corridor followed by a giant open area with sidequests and stuff to gently caress around with.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I buy physical for the box

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

StabMasterArson posted:

I upgraded my OG Xbone for the S since I got a 4k TV this week and finding out that it doesnt play 4k games despite the official website saying it fully supports 4k is really cool thanks MS
What do you mean? It outputs 4K, supports HDMI 2.1 and is, I think, still the cheapest 4K Bluray player on the market. You've got exactly what was advertised, some games even run in native 4K on the S (it has an unlocked framebuffer like the X, just not the raw power to handle AAA titles)nothing matters and our pursuit of luxury will kill us.

I have my TV locked to 1080p anyway, framerate is king.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got an Xbox one X and I just plugged in my new headphone mic setup to the controller, and there's a lot of static if the jack gets moved at all. the plug seems to fit in there very loosely. I tried two sets of headphones and it's the same thing. Can I just get the controller replaced and how do I go about doing this?
The audio outputs on the controllers are pretty poo poo, even with low-impedance headphones. The Elite controller has the same issue. Sucks that it's the only way to get binaural Atmos out of your console, the noise floor is horrible.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 22, 2018

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

gently caress me, you're right. I was going after the DF tech interview:

quote:

Digital Foundry: Obviously we can't expect native 4K triple-A gaming, but simpler titles and 2D games could potentially work well - plus existing Xbox One owners would get 2x super-sampling.

Albert Penello: If they want to, they can. As you said, if a developer had a game that could use it we are enabling 4K framebuffers, but only on Xbox One S consoles.
I thought surely indie devs would've had taken advantage of this, but I haven't found a single title. Gonna edit the post.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Laserface posted:

Get a USB 3.0 enclosure and a 1tb ssd and it'll be much faster.
Careful with the required amperage on the SSD, I burned myself once putting a 1.5A drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure, it was constantly dropping connection. It's in the PS4 now :shobon:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

AlternateAttack posted:

So I set up the Bone X last night while my wife was at work (GUI kinda sucks but whatever), and in the settings app it says my TV is compatible with Dolby Vision but not with HDR10. I know that this is wrong - is there some other software update or something that needs to happen for the Xbox to correctly see that my TV can do HDR10? It says that because the TV is incompatible with HDR10, it won't play games in HDR....which is kind of the reason I bought the drat thing in the first place.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to actually try any games, and I've since wrapped the whole thing up to avoid any temptation of trying it again before I give it as a gift, but what gives?

Have you tried turning off Allow Dolby Vision and restarting the console? My HDR10 output was glitching out periodically until I disabled that option (I don't have an AVR so the built-in Netflix app in the TV is just fine until we get actual DV games), hopefully this will be fixed in a system update

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

For a walking simulator, that is some great loving combat.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The voiceovers are doing the binaural ASMR bullshit for the most part and it only made me roll my eyes, wouldn't say it's the strongest element of the experience.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sextro posted:

I won an xboxonex on eBay in accident. What's the prettiest things I can play on my oled.

E: I already am planning to get gamepass

Forza Horizon 4 looks absolutely fantastic on the C8 and almost made me sacrifice framerate for dat draw distance in 4K. It's on gamepass tho. Maybe get FFXV Royal Edition if it goes on sale? Square's HDR implementation is really an afterthought (there's no peak luminance control so it looks good only on the higher end OLEDs) but still makes places like Altissia positively jaw-dropping.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oh right, Rise of the Tomb Raider has a 1080p30 mode on the X that's basically PC quality without the NVIDIA-specific enhancements. They didn't include this for Shadow though :(

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

enigmahfc posted:

where is this app? I've heard of it but never really looked for it.

Log in to your Microsoft account through a US proxy at least once and it'll get assigned to you.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DrNutt posted:

Man I don't know if it's my new weed habit or rising levels of lead in my water supply but I am playing FF13 since it's Xbonx enhanced and uh, I'm finding it a lot easier to follow and not as bad as the many times I've bounced off of it? I mean I know the first ten hours are tutorial but it looks nice and the music is some of the series' best.

I've been wondering about picking those up used. The PC ports kinda pissed me off with their laziness ("Don't turn off your PLAYSTATION®3" messages are left in and you need external tools to make pads work) but I did not have a bad time with the games themselves

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That's still nothing compared to the PS4 Pro's (AFAIK the Slim doesn't have this problem) ability to completely monopolize any Wi-Fi network it's in. Once it starts downloading any update in the background, all other devices are effectively cut off from the Internet (I'm not talking reduced bandwidth, just no access whatsoever). In my last apartment I had no Ethernet access and another guy with a Pro - we had to both get cheap routers, install DD-WRT on them set in repeater mode and connect wired to the consoles so they wouldn't gently caress up the connection for everyone else.

..so I generally consider the Xbox to be loving stellar in this regard.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I don't like how Rocksteady is openly pissing on Origins, I liked it :saddowns:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The only thing good about Shadow Warrior 2 is the kickass main theme.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

slidebite posted:

Hail Sony Pro I guess.
For what it's worth I've never had any of the problems mentioned in the last few pages and generally consider the X to be a fantastic piece of hardware (it's so loving quiet!) with no games (it's a Forza machine for me at this point) and the Pro to be a piece of poo poo hardware (you can periodically hear loud clicking from the cheap chassis as the plastic settles between thermal points) with fantastic exclusives (having SO MUCH fun with Spider-Man right now). I also prefer the OS of the X1 to the point where I'd rather switch consoles to watch Netflix on it, because even though they're the same performance-wise, the general feel of the Xbone gives me that placebo effect of expecting higher stability.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I just use a VPN, you can play them anywhere once they're on your account

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

enigmahfc posted:

Ori and The Blind Forest is fun as balls so far, but that beginning threw me for a loop. That was some Artex dying in the swamp poo poo. I thought this was just a light-hearted game about a kitty cat made of light.

Ori surprised me the opposite way - the beginning was exactly what I expected, but from the production values I assumed the rest would be some artsy walk-right simulator, when it's actually a really well-designed platformer! A classic, even. Had around 400 deaths in my first playthrough and loved every second.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gotta love that "let's grab EVERY AUDIENCE" triple-A poo poo. Do they expect people buy CoD because they want to play PUBG and Rainbow Six: Siege? These games' fanbase already got their game!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can set the emulator to prefer performance instead of resolution (I think it just forces 1080p output and unlocks the framerate, so won't work for all games), it's in the Xbox One X Settings menu in the emulated 360 dashboard (Select+Start)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah tomb raider owns and it being free is cool.
I thought something was wrong with my copy after, like, the third story dungeon in a row that was all puzzles and no shooting, but no, they made the game like this. Heard it goes straight back to machine gun Lara for the last stretch, so enjoying what I have right now

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

No longer has the "1080p30 with higher level of detail" mode Rise had though, which is a shame.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Motherfucker you had me going for a while

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I assume it's because the 360 and PS4 can encode surround sound over two channels while the Switch has to take up eight to send 6-channel PCM. This wouldn't be a problem with a hardware passthrough, but since it was meant to be used with set-top boxes with the OneGuide added on top, support for different ways to divide the signal might be limited.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Laserface posted:

Could be bad enclosure. It's a Crucial SSD that I only got a few months ago.

Check out the required amperage on the drive, I thought "cheapest SSD I can find + some Chinese enclosure" would be a viable option for an external X1 drive only for it to drop connection like crazy when I started copying stuff/doing anything intensive. Turned out the SSD was rated for 1.7A when for a USB-powered external you'd ideally want 0.9 or lower. What pisses me off is that it's hard to find out that spec before buying, online stores either don't show a drive picture with the label visible, or the label is there but blanked out, with required amps not in the spec list. Used drive auctions are better for this but I ended up just getting a prepackaged M.2 external that presumably had all that poo poo figured out.

e: aw poo poo I didn't catch that yours was working fine for months before. could be something different then, in my case this was happening immediately with a freshly bought unit

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 13, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

on the Horizon end of things they have this weird tendency to make terrible location choices like the UK.

Maybe they're putting off Japan till the fifth installment so they can call it Forza Horizon Go

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They should have made a version that was just the player and no Xbox instead.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah the Xbox app is just the new GFWL and everybody I know is confused about it, assuming it's meant solely for communicating with the console when it's more Microsoft's answer to Steam. I like that it tracks other PC games in your shared Xbox Live history (even from GOG), don't expect gamerscore of course

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

loudog999 posted:

I already own a PS4 Pro and am just interested in the BC the Xbox has and maybe Gamepass.

There's a remarkable improvement in multiplatform games, keep the Pro for exclusives and VR of course

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Elite Controller's 8-way plate is fantastic for fighting games and you can always swap it for the regular dpad that comes in the case

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Groups are great though, use 'em

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Fly Ricky posted:

Said "gently caress it" and bought an online code. Of course they can''t be redeemed for Xbox 360 games. :argh:

Try making one payment through a US VPN. For some reason I need to do this periodically when redeeming 360 Games with Gold, otherwise I start getting "payment can't be completed at this time" after a while

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Depends on what it is. is it like the last one where it was just Hawaii? They showed off a bunch of different environments, but with the level of detail it makes me think it can't be the whole world. If you can't jump in and fly for six hours, flight sim nerds will pass. if there's no VR, other sim nerds will pass.

If it's anything like the last proper title (and drat, it's been a while), you get the world in below-Google-Earth quality and several showcase areas rendered in high detail. The trailer claimed the game's using the power of Azure (to generate environments from satellite data perhaps?) so there might be more of those.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Wait a console that’s actually focused on gaming and not espn and cable boxes? More than 32mb of ram?

Did they accidentally read from Sonys e3 notes?
That's a little bit unfair since the X already exists but hell yeah they're gonna be apologizing for that 2013 conference for another 5 years at least

American McGay posted:

nothing at all about teaming up with Nintendo to :fuckoff: Sony.
Well, they're also teaming up with Sony to :fuckoff: Google, PSNow is going to be Azure-based

owls or something posted:

I have like at least 6 automatically installed apps from Microsoft that all have Xbox in the name installed on Windows 10.
It's GFWL with a new coat of paint. Treat it like Microsoft's Steam (or Microsoft's GOG Galaxy, judging from that new interface?).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I hope in the era of 8k30/4k60 we'll still have a choice of 1080p120 :getin:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

AndrewP posted:

e: nevermind I guess they lock it down because it's a subscription

They lock it down because it's UWP, the binaries are wrapped. The new version of the Xbox app/PC Game Pass is supposed to work with regular executables though

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hell yeah Inside was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

also the game has "and then Talion hosed around with the Nemesis System for years" as part of the plot