Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The latest Ryzen mobile parts are pretty impressive. How practical would a 4c/8t Zen 2 APU with graphics power roughly equivalent to an Xbox One S be in a handheld form factor? Is it something that could conceivably exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

No idea but apparently Nintendo has a more powerful Switch that they'll be launching this year?

A high-end Switch is still going to need dedicated ports and is unlikely to stray far from the current architecture of which Nvidia has barely iterated on. A portable XBOX using Ryzen parts would make porting games virtually effortless due to the shared architecture, maybe even completely transparent. It's not something I've seen done since the 90s, when Sega turned the Genesis into a portable (admittedly a disaster). It just seems like the circumstances are lining up for it to happen, while there will undoubtedly be some Series X exclusives the vast majority of games aren't going to need the intense graphical and CPU horsepower of the more powerful consoles to run a game at 720/1080p at around 30-60fps. A portable console that could hit those performance targets, with cross play, cross saves and a massive library at launch would be absolutely awesome.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 11, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's the ■■■■■■■■■■■ plug, for connecting to your ■■■■■■■■■■■

e: just eyeballing but it does look about as wide as an M.2 SSD PCB. A bit wider, maybe for a caddy? Just a wild guess though.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 22, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is there any solid information on it being a debug port, like from developers who have the thing and have used it or is just more guesses? The console is going to need some kind of expandable storage and USB won't cut it, that hole is the only thing that one could fit some kind of high speed solid state storage device into.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

They'll likely let you store games in a usb drive and force you to swap it to the console to play if it needs the ssd but get this...no games will need a ssd on xbox because of old skus and pc support

There's a good chance game assets will be larger when running on the newer consoles, the extra bandwidth and the use of the SSD as cache would be useful streaming those in. They won't be able to take full advantage of it without dropping support for the older models, but they'll be doing that eventually.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was right about that mysterious "debug" port being for storage bitchez :cool:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess cartridges are back.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

American McGay posted:

I don't think it's actually 5 minutes. I can test it here in a sec.

e; 3 minutes 40 seconds, so while a bit less than 5 minutes you definitely won't be able to swap back and forth for a quick game on a whim.

Not much worse than loading a AAA game last gen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It'd be funny if xbox got ps3 backwards compatibility before ps5 did via an RPCS3 port

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 25, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is it still verboten to talk about archive.org just asking

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barudak posted:

Doom's original framerate cap is an inexplicable 35

Not really inexplicable. OG Doom uses mode 13h which runs at 320x200@70hz. Half that, 35.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Agreed, Quake 2 fuckin' sucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It sucks poo poo on console, it's pretty good on PC because mods, specifically the ones that fix enemy scaling.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

better xbox 360 games than oblivion:

jurassic: the hunted
two worlds
sneak king
hannah montana: the movie: the game
that broken terrible phone port of gta san andreas that was missing most of the music and had multiple game-breaking mission bugs

worse xbox 360 games than oblivion:
mass effect 3
army of two: the devils cartel, the worst game of its console generation

that doesn't fix the unbelievably, indescribably boring and generic fantasy world it takes place in, which was its actual biggest flaw. it also doesn't fix the obviously copy + pasted dungeons which was its second biggest flaw.

Haha, yeah, but at least it makes navigating those worlds somewhat bearable. Shivering Isles is cool tho.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Your gamer soul is broken if you don’t enjoy having 140/100 acrobatics and jumping half-way across Anvil

You needed mods to uncap skill caps properly in Oblivion. With Morrowind you could go right up to 65535 and run across a continent by holding forward for a few seconds, the lack of sanity checks in it's systems is a big part of the fun.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The PSVR version was DS4 only which limits the kinds of wacky stuff you can do compared to when you have full control over your hands.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ErrEff posted:

There won't be any unlockable Spider-Man in the 2026 Xbox exclusive Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Forever.

The indefinite Spiderman/Sony deal only applies to movies, Marvel/Disney still holds ultimate control of game rights.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

They named the fifth Scream movie “Scream”

That's more a meta joke on horror reboot naming schemes than an unironic use of it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

acksplode posted:

Other way around I'm sure. Hey writers this is the meta horror franchise, make sure you include a fourth wall breaky joke about how we didn't put a number at the end because we want to mass market this thing.

What about The Scream.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There is a future for VR as long as they can downsize the goggles into glasses without compromising power/fov/resolution/tracking. Even something as weak as the Quest 2 hardware in a pair of Oakleys has the potential to be an iPhone-level shift in the market, but to get there products like Quest 2 in Uncomfortable Goggle Form have to exist so there is a platform to iterate the software stack upon.

Anyone who doesn't see this is a loving idiot.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

VR works really well for stationary simulators like flight and racing games.

I tried out my buddies setup on his race sim and it was the most immersive setup I'd every played a racing game on.

I've tried a quest(?) with all its tech demo things and it was kinda fun but just a tech demo.

Semi related - MS has killed HoloLens.
Quest is the best selling headset and has brought in the most store revenue compared to any other headset. It has almost no simulators (at least not in the traditional cockpit sense), people are buying and playing the tech demos. Developers are making sequels to those tech demos. In that ecosystem where VR is retaining the most users, VR sims are more a niche.

Microsoft's AR/VR failures are self inflicted, every choice they've made has been the wrong one. Their PCVR headsets were minimal effort, bottom of the barrel garbage and only continue to be useful thanks to their SteamVR support as Microsoft's own VR software ecosystem was DOA. Optical passthrough AR isn't technologically good enough to be useful yet, Facebook made the right choice focusing on high resolution, high FOV but bulky HMDs at relative low cost and experimenting with AR ambitions using camera pass-through. Approaching it from that direction makes for a fun toy, rather than bearing the baggage of needing to be serious equipment for work like Hololens and Magic Leap.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

I just dont see VR getting wide spread use in video games outside of first person experiences that do not rely on the players virtual persona moving. you aren't playing COD with a VR setup in a loungeroom, probably ever, with true immersive movement and controls. why would you want to?

i guess the answer to that becomes 'mech FPS games' which i could get behind.
I played COD in VR with stick movement and VR controls since 4 years ago, Pavlov is one of PCVR/Quests biggest hits and has retained a huge (relative to the size of the platform) player base. Alyx and RE4 both demonstrated that it's possible to translate games with traversal to VR with both teleport and stick movement options. You don't see it because you don't look.

Vox Machina is fun.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

all i know is every form of 3d display, either psuedo-depth or stereooptical, has given be a searing headache after about 20 minutes. i haven't tried a vr headset but you can see why I don't want to buy one

VR fixes most of the problems of traditional stereoscopy, except for eye convergence which can cause some weird artifacts from always being at a fixed distance. Not an unfixable problem, varifocal lenses are a thing in R&D labs, but its a sickness trigger for some and remains a barrier.

VR isn't about stereo anyway. Its nice to have because we have two eyes and generally expect the both of them to work, but if you're blind in one eye VR works just as well in every way that counts.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lammasu posted:

So what you're saying is pirates can enjoy VR.

There's still some accessibility issues. Peg legs would be OK but hook hands make it difficult to hold the controller.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

Eye patch renders VR pretty moot

If you close one eye it doesn't make reality less immersive, you're just down some FOV and one of many depth cues. Perspective and parallax are massively more important to how VR works than stereoscopy, in 6DOF anyway. 3DOF like GearVR, Go, Cardboard etc weren't the real thing and worked more like a 360 degree 3D movie.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I personally tried stick movement on Alyx and really quickly wanted to barf tho
It's unfortunate that stick movement is a sickness trigger, I got it a little to start with but it faded eventually. It's good that lots of games provide the option for teleport, admittedly not many competitive shooters do.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Live At Five! posted:

I've tried VR once and it was ok, but my problem is as a glasses wearer those goggles are not comfortable.

You can get prescription inserts, there's 4 or 5 manufacturers at this point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wrote a big screed/rant in the VR thread about Quest being the only practical road for Microsoft to support VR on the Xbox, being a near-perfect technical fit and mutually beneficial for both parties as their respective software libraries are largely complementary. Still, unlikely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Push a software update enable desktop mode, you cowards. Let people run the Steam version of Spider-Man on their Xbox. Why not?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hi first post on something awful dot com xbox, right? sheesh

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

webmeister posted:

Pretty sure everyone who can will buy GTA VI on console and then again a year later when it comes out for pc

Surely the potential market for a PC port is actually larger than for Xbox, if not at this point then definitely in a year. T2's commitment to this bit is just kind of silly at this point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

American McGay posted:

Ah yes, the bit of developing your extremely ambitious game for an exact set of hardware and then only when you’ve got that development complete do you bother with sorting out all the various PC compatibility issues.

Hilarious bit. Those guys at Rockstar are real jokesters.

They have unlimited money and everyone else seems to manage to do it with less.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my hot prediction is that Xbox as a distinct platform will end and that future Xbox consoles will be steam machine-esque miniature PC's running windows with Xbox essentially acting as a TV and controller friendly UI

Same. Maybe they'll do a little more and leverage the sandboxing/VM stuff they developed for console and apply it to the PC side, but for a while now I've felt Xbox's destiny was to be merged back into PC. That's where it came from, it's like poetry it rhymes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Piracy solves this problem. Piracy is the best.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Hasn't Minecraft changed pretty significantly while under Microsoft? I am just glad the original creator is no longer associated with it because he is an incel nazi.

It's still the same general thing, just with more stuff.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RTGI (including anything that uses Lumen) and full blown path tracing are great, everything else is mostly a waste of time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Not sure, but to me it seems more likely to serve as more of a cross-buy feature. Like you can buy/play a game on Xbox with Epic but also you own it via epic so you can play it on PC too. But if you play it on Xbox MS takes a %.

Notice it doesn't mention Steam. If they made the exact same announcement with Steam instead of Epic people would have gones nuts. But it's epic lol.
The main draw of getting Epic's catalog is Sony's games. Sony isn't going to port jack poo poo specifically for Xbox, so to play them an Xbox would have to run the win32 binaries.

Perhaps they'll keep it locked down in some ways, but once they start allowing the running of standard windows applications on the Xbox I think it's fair to say it's basically a PC.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So Microsoft expects Epic and other third party stores to port their software to the Xbox? Maybe, but that's a lot of extra money, work and would leave a bunch of gaps where publishers refuse, like anything by Sony. It doesn't really fix anything, it doesn't stop the fleeing of publishers from the ecosystem to PC or solve the inbalance between the PS/XB libraries.

Granted, half-measures are Microsoft's thing so you're probably right.

If I Did It, third party stores would be given their own VM sandbox and limited Windows environment isolated from the Xbox side. Game libraries and store could be brought over relatively easily, while keeping the security of the Xbox intact (though being able to run arbitrary software, even in a VM, is admittedly an attack vector). Microsoft still has control over the stores and can enforce rules, take percentages or whatever. That way, the Xbox can play Spider-Man.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 27, 2024

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ColdPie posted:

I don't know but I sure am excited to spend the next 20 pages building a whole alternate reality universe based on one poorly worded tweet from some idiot.

Timdog was right.

There's quotes in the article from Phil Spencer openly questioning the continued relevance of the console sales and marketing model. Once they get rid of that, things get pretty weird and it's fun to speculate how.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

What I was saying is that it's probably only going to work with games that already have Xbox ports. Unless it actually has a mode that runs windows (seems unlikely imo) they are probably just working out a deal where you can own a game on both Xbox and Epic by only buying it once. I doubt any sort of porting will be going on especially with Sony games lol.

What problem does that solve for Microsoft? They get nothing from it. EGS users from PC? Lmao, lol, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

acksplode posted:

This is covered in the interview w/ Phil that started this whole discussion: https://www.polygon.com/24108670/xbox-epic-games-store-phil-spencer-interview It solves the problem that MS thinks the traditional console model, cheap hardware subsidized by the manufacturer collecting tolls on software sales, doesn't have any room for growth. Whereas they think PC's more open model does have room for growth, and that they can successfully compete in that environment.

I know and I agree, I just think that going with half measures like veni veni veni suggests doesn't do anything to spur growth, but rather creates facade storefronts that sit in front of the Microsoft storefront. It's a minor win for people who got a bunch of free games on EGS over the years, many of which have Xbox versions, but I struggle to see how it achieves Microsoft (apparent) goals of unification.