Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When I increase the resolution on my PC games, the amount of STUFF I can see increases (this is what "fov" is, right?), like, I can see a wider amount of the map.

The FOV doesn't change in my XB1 games when I toggle between 720 and 1080P.

Seems like the XbonX is just going to make it so I can buy a 4K TV and not worry about my games actually looking worse?

FOV has nothing to do with resolution. It is essentially the viewing cone. And it will remain the same through resolution changes.

By default, a lot of console games stick with a lower FOV since the theory is you sit farther away from your TV then you would your computer monitor. Not many console games that I'm aware of let you change it either. They develop for one specific FOV and that is what you are stuck with.

This can actually be a real problem for those who get motion sick from games(like me), as oftentimes one of the critical factors that causes it is a too low FOV.

Resolution increases should be increasing the detail/quality of what you do see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

The Xbox One S doesn't have the proprietary connector the Kinect uses, you would also need the USB adapter for it and that's something like 75 bucks with no real avenues to get cheap.

I guess I don't know where you live/what currency you are talking about, but looks like 40 bucks to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Kinect-Adapter-One-Windows-10/dp/B01GVE4YB4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Still seems excessive to me. But not AS excessive.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

barren_sky posted:

Oh shiiiiit. Should've done more research I guess. Surely that could be patched in though, right?

It can.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/25/dolby-vision-hdr-in-software/

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cojawfee posted:

So it literally doesn't matter?

There was a time when Dolby Vision was thought of as chip only, so it's possible the people talking about it thought that was still the case. Then it would kinda maybe matter, if it really does become the go to.

But yeah, it totally doesn't matter.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Has anyone else had a bunch of randoms sending chat messages on XBL recently, I've had 3 in as many days with 0 achievement points and no friends in common that I could see.

Yeah it's super annoying.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ori is really really good.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Pre-orders are up btw.

https://smile.amazon.com/Xbox-One-X-1TB-Console/dp/B01GW8VG7O/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1503262163&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one+x

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/xbox-one-x

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I have multiple controllers and I don't really get the creakiness thing.

Can you post a video of it or something? I'm super curious.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's like that one guy in here with the crazy grip that was breaking his controllers.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

(although it sounds like Microsoft has something brewing for this, cautiously optimistic it turns out to be effective)

What's this?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

The exact specifics aren't fully public yet but in the OS development pipeline they've made it so content types can be selectively installed/deleted. Hypothetically once this is correctly implemented it would mean you could do things like say you only want to install single player, or only want to install multiplayer, things like that.

Right now the distribution of a game's size content can get super-weird and messy, especially in Europe where a game can include like 7 or 8 audio languages (Watch Dogs on PC from Europe is 22 gigs. If you delete the audio language assets for languages you're NOT using and only keep one, the game's size drops to 15 gigs with zero change in terms of playthrough. The game's options menu even handles this transparently, the "audio language" menu just auto-lists which languages are available and doesn't list languages which aren't). You also have games like DOOM and Halo 5 where they have giant patches (30ish gigs and 51.9 gigs, respectively) for online multiplayer content. I mean it's nice there's that much free content (and good thing it's free now for DOOM, since in the season pass days vanilla users had a 30 gig "gently caress you" patch they couldn't opt out of), but since it's a mandatory patch you can't opt out of installing it short of taking the console entirely offline, and lose out on any of the tweaks and fixes applied to the single player mode which would have been a much smaller patch by themselves.

See, if this works out the way it looks like it will, this almost completely solves the issue I'm talking about. If Microsoft couples this with a better QA process post-firing-everyone-in-QA so they stop accidentally pushing dev builds that force a total game re-download (and then another total redownload when it's fixed) then we'll be in business.

Oh, this is super cool.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

This is me:

http://windowsreport.com/xbox-one-x-black-screen/

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Second Xbox One X has also decided it doesn't want to live(freezing/black screen/Error E202).

Will I try for a third or just give up, tune in next time to find out!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Is this happening during or after setup? Because it might be something messing up during the update.

If it's happening after maybe you can try updating it offline if you reset?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-updates-solution

It's a progression actually. The first one worked just fine for about a day. Then it froze up. After a hard reboot it came back up with error e202. Couldn't move the icon to do a reset at that point so did the full power off download to a USB offline reset thing. That got it going again for half a day or so before it black screened and wouldn't power back up.

Leaving it unplugged for awhile got me back to the error e202 at which point I reset it to factory and returned it.

Second one was pretty much the same just different order of events. Started with black screen, didn't have problems resetting to factory the normal way, but otherwise the same.

Basically they work for awhile before encountering some kind of bad update or something and failing short of a factory reset.

Store didn't have any more so just going to go back to my regular xbone and maybe try again in a few months.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Xbox One X #3 seems to work just fine. Yay.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Beastie posted:

Rejoice! No Man’s Sky hits Xbox this summer, will be X enhanced.

https://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-is-finally-coming-to-xbox-this-summer-1824162733

Did they ever add FOV adjustment to the PS4 version to make it playable for people who get motion sick?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Real hurthling! posted:

Would you buy it anyway?

Maybe some day.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Beastie posted:

They did! I'll probably trade my PS4 copy and get the Xbox version. One X should make it worth it.

Nice!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I stopped playing like 1/3 of the way in, but it was because I'm a completionist and the extra quests get so repetitive, pretty much exactly the same on every planet.

I've been meaning to go back and finish and stick to just the main quests, which I was fine with.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sony still has the occasional exclusive I'm sad about. Like I want to play the new Spider Man.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Why lol. Miss the days of infamous and prototype lol?

I mean, sort of? Spider Man themed prototype would be great.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Seems to not be a horrible deal.

All in, you save money on the base prices of the xbox + plans.

I mean, theoretically you could get all of the things cheaper on sale, but you are also getting to spread your money out over two years at no extra cost, so I think that is a wash.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Neat, can finally try Quantum Break without buying it. Also some of the other stuff looks interesting.

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah off-and-on is how you do GamePass. Do those $1 months, pay sticker for a month if an exclusive ever comes out on it, turn it off when you're done. It's a good deal when you do it like that.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of 4 months of game pass which I will have paid 2 dollars for. At this price, it is really amazing. I'm still not sure I'd ever want to consistently pay 10 a month for it. But I think I'd be in consistently for discounted prices, just like I do with gold. Looks like the 6 month code has dropped to 30 dollars before on Amazon. That seems fine.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BrownieVK posted:

Am I the only person who pays for gamepass and Xbox live at retail price and have it set up for auto renew and literally never think about it?
All access is a really good deal especially for people grabbing the 1S. I have a buddy who still plays Ps2 and Ps3 and is going to do the all access deal and he seems plenty excited? He gets a new console and literally doesn't have to buy a single game, there is so much on gamepass for him to catch up on.

It's like the price of going out to eat once or twice or seeing two movies (before food) I literally don't understand why everyone is so mad?

Yes you can save money by waiting for deals and fronting the console price up front but some people don't give a poo poo and just want to game.
I think everyone needs to chill and play some games.

I figured there were plenty of folks like you out there, that is who I was thinking the new thing worked out great for.

If I never managed to find a good deal on these things I'd maybe consider it. But it is super easy for me to just have alerts set on something like camelcamelcamel, and once in awhile the price drops, I buy it and enter the code and I'm good for another year. I mean, when talking xbox live specifically, if you paid 10 dollars a month for that rather then the not on sale 60 dollars a year for buying 12 months at a time, you are throwing a new game worth of money away every year.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BrownieVK posted:

I do the $60 a year renewal. I've been paying for Xbox live literally since it came out back on the mechassault and Halo 2 days. I only have internet service (which my job pays) and have Hulu and Netflix so paying for gamepass doesn't bother me.
Maybe I'm just so conditioned for paying subscriptions lol?

Yeah, I think it is just the availability of easy discounts that makes me do it that way. Its not like I get discounts on Netflix, Prime or HBO.

But I think as more and more subscription services exist that I might be interested in, it certainly makes me question their worth a lot more. Like HBO is very much not worth the extra money I pay for it vs Netflix. It is always on the cusp of being cancelled. If I just had Prime for TV content, they still aren't there yet either, but that one stays a no brainer just because of how much we order from there/etc.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm enjoying the once every week or two I've played Sea of Thieves since getting game pass. I've only played with other people though. It would be awful solo.

But, it certainly isn't a 60 dollar game.

I think for the amount of content it has/etc, it is more like a 20 dollar game.

It is very pretty though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

Yeah, Apple hands-down has handled migrating to 4K the best out of all providers. For all of Apple's bullshit they are bizarrely pro-consumer when it comes to media purchases with iTunes, being the first people to strong-arm the music industry into ditching DRM on legal purchases, as well as forcing free 4K upgrades (except for Disney who are still withholding 4K from iTunes entirely). As much as people say you "own it" when you have a movie on physical media like DVD or Blu-ray that gets undone with future special edition/remastered reissues and format upgrades, not to mention discs getting damaged or lost. And the movie loving starts immediately when you hit play, none of this unskippable "FBI warning, trailers, you wouldn't download an Xbox game pay no attention to the music for this ad that we literally stole" bullshit.

I thought I heard recently they delisted things off the service that people had purchased though(unlike on xbox where you still have access to it, they remove it for everyone). That makes them decidedly less pro consumer if you can't rely on your library staying intact.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I don't buy games on disc and don't even buy movies on disc anymore, but I still use my console's disc drive to play the blu rays/dvds I already owned before I stopped buying them. And with backcompat, some of the old games. I would miss a disc drive if it went away for that reason.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

DrNutt posted:

I dunno I thought they might have some motivation to keep their like, seven or so remaining fans happy, but I guess they already took a ton of my money so probably not. In any case it was a massive pain in the rear end and I'm fortunate to have fast internet and no data cap.

From what I could tell with that stuff, it wasn't on Harmonix for all the problems recognizing the library. It was the way xbox licenses/indexes the content on the drives. Like for some reason it would take days for it all to be recognized if you just moved a hard drive to a new xbox.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

DrNutt posted:

Oh well, it's finally worked out and I never had to resort to calling support or anything so extremely #firstworldproblems I guess. Now I just wish there were still people that played because my friend leaderboards are an extremely lonely place.

Feel free to friend me, xbox name same as SA.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

More game pass games:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1068145197974867968

https://majornelson.com/2018/11/29/xbox-game-pass-the-gardens-between-mutant-year-zero-and-strange-brigade-coming-soon/

Was planning on buying Mutant Year Zero, so that's cool.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 29, 2018

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My son wants a god game to play. Are there any on Xbox that I am just forgetting? The only one that comes to mind is Reus.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Viva Pinata is great, and I'll try to get him into that. But it isn't really a god game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Barudak posted:

Congrats? Get Gamepass

Absolutely this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BisterdDave posted:

Is there a way to see and/or manage my cloud saves?

I don't believe so.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Finster Dexter posted:

Couldn't you do this on 360? I remember copying saves back and forth to cloud in the 360 dash for some of my bc games.

Yeah you could on 360. The only method of doing anything you have on the one is deleting them from the games individual manage game section.

Not sure if this was a deliberate decision to prevent people messing with their saves or what.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SUNKOS posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Subnautica?

It is fantastic if you like that style of game. Basically a mostly underwater survival/building game. Lots of exploration and you can explore more and more over time as you can build more gear/etc. Has an actual story driving you at least a little bit as well, so it isn't just pure sandbox.

It got really great reviews across the board and it is for good reason.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I like my Xbox, and plan on getting the new one, to put this in context:

I agree, today's stuff was pretty meh.

Even the stuff that should have been right up my alley like the Vampire RPG footage, just turned me off. Might be the grimness of our present, but I really didn't need to see that opening.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

HZD and Spiderman are the two things I wish I had on Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How many people in this thread are gonna pre-order? I'll out myself.

Getting a ps5 too though probably. What I get first might come down to what I can actually find stock for.

I'll be getting the X.

I keep thinking I'll eventually get a PS as well. But didn't end up getting one last time around. I just have more than enough to play between the xbox and the switch. If I do, it will be after HZD2 comes out.