Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imagine buying an Xbox One X with the expectation that it would sell well enough that third party ports would cater to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You don't buy the Xbox One X for the specs, you buy it for the license to bitch online about how third parties are disrespecting your powerful console with subpar ports, and how anyone who thinks the ports look fine aren't Gamers of Virtue capable of perceiving true Performance and Resolution

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Beastie posted:

I like mine. It plays games and it makes them look great.

You must not have seen this yet. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's not even a cryptocurrency, it's not decentralized. It's funbux TA gives you when you earn achievements that you can spend on "deals" they push to you. Smart way to get idiots excited about a lovely rewards program though

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

It's blockchain based, so it is a cryptocurrency, in the strictest sense. Just because it's not mined doesn't mean it's not a cryptocurrency. Like XRP.

I have no doubt they said all the necessary magic words to get the attention of crypto fetishists. Can I contribute to that blockchain? If not then it's not really a cryptocurrency. If a credit card processor decided for some reason to use a private blockchain as their processing backend, that would not turn USD into a cryptocurrency. XRP has a distributed ledger that I can run my own node on and help process transactions. TA is going to be the sole issuer *and* redeemer of von coin. They give you the coin in exchange for your achievements, and you can only spend the coin on their catalog of deals. These are goddamn Marlboro points.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Auron posted:

It has nothing to do with processing power, it doesn't take much processing power to read and send an image to a display. Its just different encoding (h.264/h.265)
h.265 is a more complicated codec than h.264, and it is harder work to decode it. The reason devices that support h.265 can decode it easily is because they have built-in hardware that's tailored for decoding h.265. A device that does not have that specialized hardware, and does not have a reasonably fast (meaning roughly faster than a recent-generation Intel i5) CPU, will not be able to decode 4K h.265. Even if it can decode 1080p h.264.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

SSDs aren't flash memory though.

I have no doubt next gen systems will ship with SSDs, but you're taking the cheapest component of the system and swapping it out with probably the most expensive. The next round of consoles are going to be considerably more expensive because of it.

Unless they try some fusion drive trickery but honestly with the install size of games these days that seems a bit daunting to get working properly.

Yeah a fusion drive or cache drive situation sounds too complicated to work well, it'd have weird compromises that both devs and players need to put up with. My bet is consoles will ship with the largest SSD they can include for under $100 at launch, probably just 512 GB, and they'll be easy to upgrade so people can take advantage of cheaper SSDs as prices come down. Seems smarter for a console with a long lifespan to plan for cheaper SSDs rather than burden it with a complex cache system that won't make economic sense in a few years.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I honestly think what happened to hl3, was that the FPS genre evolved so fast because of hl2, that by the time they had it together to actually start making it it was already being trounced by the far more complex and intricate FPS/RPG-lite games flooding the market and evolving the genre further. Hl3 would’ve been seen as “generic” and too simple. Gabe saw this and worried it would fail and it never went forward.

What happened to HL3 is that Valve stopped making games because Steam is way more profitable

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

A year or so before HL2 came out, I was joking that Valve would never make it. It had been a long time since HL1 and there was absolutely no news on a sequel. Then they surprised everyone by announcing it right before it came out. My memory might be a little fuzzy on the specifics but it was something like that. Anyways, I had hoped that they would do the same for HL3 but it's been 15 years and they got rid of everyone that worked on the Half-life series by now so it'll probably never happen.

??? HL2 was announced at E3 (May) in 2003, and was released November 2004. I recall it clearly because between those two dates a chunk of an early build of the game leaked in a somewhat-playable form and gaming internet was full of screenshots and reports from people bragging about having it and getting it to run. There was a year of hype fueled by people mining that leak.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

PC gamers are inherently more toxic than console gamers is a new and refreshing opinion.

Yeah it's a little more nuanced than that. The toxicity ranking is Switch > PC > PS4

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I refuse to use a mouse since they're great at inflicting RSI's, which heavily outweighs the control advantages for me. If you're gonna call one control method objectively better than another, it's probably worth considering long-term health impact. Controllers and trackpads are so much better for your wrist. Stay safe gamers

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The original games had more exploration than DOOM 2016, they had the keycards and tons of well hidden secrets, some of which would take you to entire secret levels. DOOM 3 put its emphasis on exploration and surprise monster closets, DOOM 2016 goes the other direction and emphasizes combat arenas. Both games draw from stuff that's in the originals while playing down other elements.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BonoMan posted:

They confirmed it can lay on it's side at least

I'm still not certain it would fit in my media center lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My launch Pro is also loud :( It overheated to the point of crashing in the same conditions as my regular PS4, I had to rearrange my setup to give it more room to breathe. I think Sony really did muck something up with that first batch.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Series X is almost as big as my receiver lol. I use a credenza as an entertainment center, it has space for that receiver and two normal sized consoles. No way the Series X goes inside, it would have to sit on top or on the floor.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stux posted:

thats... not why pc cases are shaped the way they are... is this a bit? also is your claim that something with a form factor similar to the original xbox one cant fit sufficient cooling? the original xbox one model doesnt exactly have an anemic heatsink and fan combo, its far bigger than what was used in the launch ps4 and close to high end PC air coolers.

PC cases are shaped as they are for several reasons, but one of them is definitely cooling. A big box with lots of internal volume and big fans isn't pretty, but it's great for pushing air around.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Where do you put your speakers? Where do you put your subwoofer? Where do you put your receiver?

Floor except for the center speaker which sits underneath the TV, floor, in the one spot in my media cabinet that can fit either a reciever or an Xbox Series X

acksplode
May 17, 2004

uvar posted:

It does seem a bit silly that a modern game console (plus space for air flow) should be expected to match the approximate dimensions of a 1980s VHS player. I know lots of people might still have furniture designed for them but we have to move on eventually.

Moore's law would lead me to expect that newer consoles do not need to become bigger in order to be more powerful, and I'd expect a fully integrated console to be smaller than its PC equivalent since it doesn't need a modular design.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

Moore's law stopped being a thing like 10 years ago.
It's only now starting to falter as we're beginning to hit limits on reducing manufacturing process size. But for now we're still cramming exponentially more transistors into chips every year. It was about a decade and a half ago that we hit a ceiling on clock rate which limits single-thread performance, so now gains from moore's law are reflected in multi-core performance, which is harder for software to take advantage of. But this isn't as applicable to game consoles since graphics rendering tends to be highly parallel, and not bottlenecked by your CPU's clock rate. In any case, Moore's Law hasn't stalled to the point where it's unreasonable to expect that a new generation of consoles should be able to deliver much better performance without being huge.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

If the PS4 Pro is any indication the current state of thermals in high performance consoles is already too ambitious. Consoles could stand to be a little airier. Although I'm not going to argue that the Series X isn't a cartoonish swing in the opposite direction I also don't care enough to complain about it.

Yeah my pro has been a headache wrt heat, I would not complain if it were a little bigger and cooler/quieter. But its excuse is that it's still fundamentally a console designed in 2012. It shouldn't be a huge challenge to make a console in 2020 that's significantly more powerful without being significantly bigger or warmer.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There was a bit of a scandal after the last Macbook Pro release, where it throttled the CPU a ridiculous amount, and some guy demonstrated that he could only get the expected benchmark performance if his Macbook Pro was inside a freezer. But that turned out to be a bug and Apple fixed it with a patch.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

New Macbook Pros suck, but you will have to take my 2015 Macbook Pro from my cold dead hands >:(

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Playstation doesn't have any exclusives

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tencent invested, didn't buy outright, though no one is saying how large the investment is. Platinum says they're gonna use the cash to start publishing their own stuff.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hey at least I got a $10 check for that one

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah the source for that 100 games thing was a tech-focused presentation from Mark Cerny that was originally intended for GDC before it got cancelled. What he said was that they've tested the top 100 most-played PS4 games according to Sony's metrics on PS5 and gotten really encouraging results. But Sony still hasn't said how far BC support will officially extend.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Remember when they demonstrated letting people take over your games and play on your system? It seemed like it would be useful for stuff like if you get stuck on a really annoying boss but if you know someone that can stomp it you can just let them take over your console and grab some popcorn. Am I wrong and they actually kept that in as part of the OS? Seriously, I thought they dropped that and if it's actually been a feature this whole time then welp. Would have been useful for so many things.

Yeah it's called Share Play, added with a system update in 2014

acksplode
May 17, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

This was more a comment on why people seem to have a hard time picking between the two and not just getting both.

Pretty sure the last time I saw someone express difficulty choosing between PS4 and Xbone was 2013

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What is the political leanings of Ouya gamers?
Howard Schultz for president

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

I just thought of this yesterday, but does anyone remember the Xbox 360 design first being leaked in full, on this very forum?
https://web.archive.org/web/20050424034548/http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000293041091
(archive.org link as the story on Engadget itself doesn't seem to include images anymore).

The first version of that image came from here. You can scroll down in the comments and see a couple of references.

Now there was something a bit different about the first image posted here, and from what I remember was in the image first posted by Engadget before they quickly were able to source an unchanged version of the image.

Anyone else remember what that was?

I can't believe I remember this, but I'm 99% sure that the image from here had a massive watermark across the entire thing that said "MY GIRLFRIEND". It was a games meme at the time iirc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

univbee posted:

This isn't confusing at all.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I really don't understand why the streaming services position themselves as bad replacements rather than good supplements for whatever gaming hardware you already have. Streaming makes way more sense if there's a good library of latency-insensitive games and they're running on more powerful hardware than what you probably have at home. Yet Xcloud is running on One S's and Stadia is offering you Serious Sam and Doom Eternal, I just don't get it. Maybe the set of games that aren't twitchy and could benefit from beefy hardware isn't large, but if you're MS then you're already a publisher, you could fix that.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Just for fun, another quote from that interview

F2P CoD introduces 10 second Coke ads that you have to watch before every respawn, my KD immediately jumps from 0.1 to 0.5

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'll never forgive Konami for taking what that game could have been from us.

Another year in the oven and it would've been perfect. It'll never stop hurting

acksplode
May 17, 2004

univbee posted:

It's like the 24fps gives you a constant "this is a fantasy" effect that your brain expects with movies, while when you get into 48+ territory it starts to look too real and almost feels more like you're watching a play.

That was exactly my impression from seeing the Hobbit in a theater. For some reason the high frame rate made me notice how fake the sets and costumes looked, and that the people wearing armor and carrying weapons weren't moving like they were encumbered with a bunch of heavy metal.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Using MS's cloud services at a discount probably helps Gamestop reduce operating costs, which is useful for a struggling business, maybe it saves a few more locations from the chopping block. A few extra Xboxes can be worth a lot to MS if they intend to perpetually milk them for subscription revenue. And I think they'll sell more than a few, Gamestop is in decline but it still does a lot of business.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've been plugging all my media sources into a receiver for years and haven't had any latency problems, and I play lots of action games and the occasional rhythm game. I'm also trying ARC out for the first time since I don't have a HDMI 2.1 compatible receiver, and I haven't noticed any latency while mousing around a Windows desktop and playing videos. I'd guess any problems would come down to something specific to your TV or receiver or source, rather than something inherent to either approach.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is the point of ARC just to use an HDMI cable as an audio cable? I've noticed that some receivers and soundbars will have a pass through so you can go from a device, through the receiver to the TV and then also send audio back to the soundbar from other devices on the TV. But anything affordable only has on HDMI port for ARC so you have to waste on HDMI port on the TV to use as just an audio cable. It seems like an interesting concept that device manufacturers aren't sure how to use.

I think the idea is that the ARC port should be bidirectional, you shouldn't have to dedicate it just to audio output. I have a LG C9 with one HDMI port that supports ARC and two that don't, and the way it works is that the ARC port behaves as a video input or audio output automatically depending on whether the source I'm watching is plugged into the TV or the receiver. This may be working due to some HDMI CEC magic that I barely understand, idk.

The advantages are that it's nice to reuse the cable rather than adding another, and optical is an aging standard that has less bandwidth and supports fewer audio codecs than HDMI. That last bit is meaningful if you use devices that need to pass encoded audio to the receiver because they don't have the ability to decode it, like if you're using a Chromecast or your TV's Plex app to play media with e.g. Atmos surround sound.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

WD2 had some cool ideas that got smothered by boring design and low difficulty that puts no pressure on you to engage with the gameplay. Sounds like Legion is similar, that's a bummer. Being able to recruit a wide variety of characters could've been a really cool hook in the right hands. If switching characters had a more meaningful impact on the game then it could've been something like an open world Hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Death Stranding said gently caress it sun's always in the same position and no one cared