Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Barudak posted:

Frame rate, locking to 1080p, doing both while super sampling. Note this will vary depending on the non-series x enabled title (for series x titles just enjoy 60fps all the time)

Basically you're going to get the majority of the bennies of the system.

I have a similar (bunch of) question(s), and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but hell, I'll ask anyway.

I will be restricted to 1080p for the foreseeable future, if I get a Series X and play games in 'fidelity' mode or 'quality' mode or what-have-you, will I get the benefits of this mode (re. ray-tracing, better effects, etc, etc) but at a higher frame-rate due to it not being output at 4k, or will I be stuck at 30fps regardless? ( I assume the latter).

Also... is the statement "the Series S offers precisely the same gaming experience as the Series X, just at 1080p resolution" a true one?

Ultimately I wanna know whether I should opt for $29 a month for an S or $39 for X. I'll probably go for the S because its just going to be a casual game-pass box for on the couch gaming while I play fancy games on my PC, but if there is a significant difference between the two even at 1080p I might be swayed toward the X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

1 Vs. 100 seems like an idea whose time has come, I'd bloody love for it to come back.

I'm having fun with San Andreas, I think it looks alright but in my memory it had a constant orange filter and heat-haze effect, both of which are gone now.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite in the span of 1 week is a pretty crazy release plan.

Good for my wallet, bad for my paltry SSD :(

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Apparently Cultic is coming out on the Xbox in 2022, but its December and theres been no news. I really wanna play that game (on my couch)!

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

My kids put 30 hours into Minecraft so I dont know what my most-played game is. I suspect its......bloody hell I dont know...a bunch of cool 10 hour games that I ploughed through.

Favorite was probably Norco though.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like I kinda know what "a Pentiment-level game" means but I also kinda don't? Is that a scale/scope thing?

I'm squinting at the wording and taking it to mean Tango are doing a 'wouldnt be possible without gamepass' little auteur project.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Starfield owns, I fell off it in the process of clambering back on the Diablo 4 wagon and because Talos Principle 2 came out, but reading this thread actually has me kind of jazzed to boot it up and go into a Bethesda fugue state for while where levels go up and quests resolve themselves while I bunnyhop around

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Gonna grab Tetris Effect and maybe Control.

When the hell is Disco Elysium going to go on sale?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

It's $10 on GOG until 4 hours after this post!

Dang. I already have it on PC, but I want to sit my arse down on the couch and play it

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I just want 1 vs 100 back

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

This is a nightmare, when am I going to wake up?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

The Series X is loving cool, and it is just the right size and weight to cradle like a baby

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

played a bit of Starfield last night and had a surprisingly decent time. it could be really good!

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Ruffian Price posted:

AAAA is the term for Destiny clones (at least when it comes to all the cruft around the main game loop, which can differ). They're supposed to be once in a generation titles that completely monopolize the attention of the entire gaming public, so of course everybody is now making ten of them in an industry version of Masayoshi Son's Vision Fund - you only need to hit the jackpot once.

Destiny clones? I dunno if those are AAAA games. AAAA games absolutely exist, and they are once in a generation and they do monopolize attention, but I think the category just represents a qualitatively different level of ambition and scope and attention to detail from AAA games. They are kinda by definition singular events.

The only company that makes them is Rockstar.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Got'em

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Figured (and hoped) that they'd dip their toe in the AKB/GP thing with small stuff like Tony Hawk and that Blizzard collection.

Still, Diablo IV on gamepass in March is pretty awesome.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Was in a bit of a gaming funk, XBox digging me out of it with Boltgun and now Control hell yeah

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Been waiting to cheap out on Katana Zero and get it on sale and I probably shouldnt have waited because it owns so loving much.

Also, Control is absolutely Remedy's best game; i.e. the only Remedy game I didnt bounce off of within the first five hours.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 17, 2024

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Patching in options that make the game look worse with no real framerate benefit to placate the babies, smh

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Volte posted:

30 fps is essentially unplayable on a 120Hz+ display for me. I see it as a fast moving slideshow and I get a headache real quick because my eyes keep focusing and unfocusing. It wasn't that way on older displays with slower response times. I used to gladly lock the fps to 30 fps if I wasn't getting a solid 60, now I need a minimum of like 40 fps before I can really see it as fluid motion.

Going on a vision quest with Master Chief, eyes focusing and unfocusing 30 times a second.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

on my lunchbreak today it struck me that Bethesda kinda own.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Norco was my favorite game of the year for whatever year it came out in and I've been desperately searching for anything like it since.

The music is wonderful, the game is beautiful, the story is sad and magical and the graphics are like if someone made a game of the first season of True Detective on the SCUMM engine. I loving love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

I have The Cave installed since forever because I'm a big Ron Gilbert fan, and I don't know why I still haven't started it up.

So thanks for the reminder.

Same but for that new monkey island game. I'm just not the gamer I was when I got Monkey 2 for my birthday back in 1993