Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

Sucks to see a dynasty fall so quickly. 3Alphas will live forever in our hearts.

perhaps three is indeed too many alphas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
alright spurs, let's loving go!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Signing derrick rose is like step 2 of the downfall of a franchise. Step 1 was signing LMA

fuckin a

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
hmm, i just had a thought about all the danny green/lma trade rumors

cp3 and blake opted out of their contracts and people are saying the clippers won't want to pay redick.

my guess is cp3 resigns for the SUPERmax but griffin might be outta there along with jj

that leaves a big hole in the PF and SG positions and the cap space to absorb danny and lma and not have to go full rebuild which might scare off cp3

does this all make sense and can it work?

edit: maybe a sign and trade with cp3? but that goes against the whole "no rebuild" argument and the spurs need big men, especially if aldridge leaves

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 24, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's done this everywhere he's been from high school on. I think he's got a problem.

yeah, he's a total bitch

i'm fine with him staying since he'll have to put up numbers anyway considering its a contract year for him, but i'd be happier with him leaving

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Spurs fans insistence on blowing up a real good team for no reason is perplexing.

no one deletes a tweet about the spurs

he drew first blood

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Edit:
If DRose lands on the Spurs for multiple years, Pop will ensure he gets to the hall of fame.

i don't understand all the rumors with guards and the spurs

the spurs need bigs. their front court is abysmal right now

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Libertine posted:

If he was I never heard about it. Would help explain his performance more anyways.

Who is Adam Hanga by the way I heard about him errantly a few times in these threads and once on the draft cast. Is he a guy the Spurs have been stashing?

long time spurs stash who just won euroleague dpoy.

limited offense, good defense, very athletic. plays wing

ChickenMedium posted:

They need to get Boris Diaw back. If Spursness was a person, it would be Boris Diaw.

umm, spursiness is a person and his name is tim duncan

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
interesting move for the rockets. not sure how to feel about it. sure, chris paul is always a good addition, but the harden PG experiment seemed to be working really well and even though CP3 shoots 3s well, isn't he just replacing other players that did the same?

i looked up his stats and he's definitely an improvement. he shot like 41% from 3 last year and giving harden some relief in handling the ball will do wonders. he's not patrick beverly, but his defense is still really good. plus not being the focus of the offense all game might relieve some of his injury tendencies.

basically, i wasn't sold on this deal but now i am. good move for the rockets.

but gently caress the warriors. now we have playoff teams blowing up all over the drat place. they're loving ruining the league and there are going to be like 4 super teams that dominate all the competition for like 2 more seasons. boring as gently caress

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
it'll be interesting to see if the rockets try to fit paul into morey-ball

he has a great mid range game, but lol if he's not "allowed" to use it

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

People were saying KD on the Warriors wouldn't mesh well because of egos or whatever. There will always be doubters

this is pretty much how i've been thinking about the rocket's pick up

normally i'd be one to say "that'll never work!" but reality has superseded delusion and it can and will indeed work excellently

on a different note, with millsap considering a sign and trade, what are the chances that spurs east and spurs west will swap power forwards? would spurs want milllsap: is he at least equivalent to lma, have i heard injury rumors, would he want to sign with the spurs?

would the hawks want lma? they get a really good power forward and the shroder p+r plan doesn't seem to be panning out

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
can the cavs participate in a sign a trade since they're so far over the cap or is it only for the signing team?

edit: aren't sign+trades also 1 player exclusive, can't package other players in the trade?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 30, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
when's midnight?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mixed feelings on this one

achilles injury is bad. but the man has a rep for scoring and the spurs need that.

can he play defense? and he play post-injury at all?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Or Popovich will retire after the season since he only promised to stick around until Aldridge expired

he'll coach until at least 2020 since he's the Team USA coach. he's gotta stay relevant. might even stay until 2024 if he gets a second chance and loved the first one

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

what did it say

rudy gay on verge of signing with the spurs

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

i'm not really sure on him signing with the spurs.

he probably wants money and spurs probably thought they could get a discount since he's coming off a serious injury

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, I'd say I'm disappointed but deep down I'm pretty sure I expected this.
Maybe we'll still be able to unload LMA but if not on the bright side even if we go into training camp w/him maybe he'll understand his lowered value/absorb the nearly widespread media criticism, and realize he's in a contract year? You better play hard mafucka

At this point I don't even want us to take a shot at d rose or any PGs since with what's left I'd rather just give Dejounte more minutes. Maybe we'll still be able to sign Simmons and grab one of the good to decent free agent bigs no one cares about

spurs don't need guards anymore. they've got like 7 or something silly.

spurs need bigs desperately. currently only have Gasol, LMA, and Bertans.

i think they're watching the market to see if they can get another deal on Dedmon, or potentially bring over Milutinov who would be a probably be a project

haven't heard anything about Lee, but i liked him last year, so the spurs are probably also wait to see what kind of offers he'd get.

remember, spurs don't have much wiggle room at all and if they can keep the current roster as is then that's still a ~60 win, WCF team that will have another year of playing in the system together. considering there were like 7 new players last year, another year of seasoning will do a world of good. spurs would still have the absolute best wing defense in the league and the probable MVP. perhaps murray has a break out year, that would be exciting.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/editor_dan/status/881332808714788864

It's time to have a serious discussion: Does Kawhi Leonard own any clothes that weren't given to him by his basketball team

yes, this one shirt:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Durant can go gently caress himself that's my take

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Clearly as a Spurs fan I can empathize. Why isn't anyone insulting RC Buford? We still have our openly unhappy second fiddle aging PF who as far as I can tell still hasn't come back from the devastating move of unfollowing Spurs social media. I mean, we haven't done anything of value! Just (mostly) resigned a 61 win 2nd place team that was beating the best team in history before Georgian warcrimes.
I'm actually half unironic since the Western arms race of the last X weeks means standing pat is going backwards.

to answer the unironic part of you, i'm half expecting PATFO to clean up in a very spursy way after most other teams cap themselves out of existence (not that we're not capped out too). there are plenty of serviceable players just sitting on the open market. our biggest shortage is bigs and someone posted early a large list of bigs that are still available and no one is talking about. i can see this insane market creating a bevy of decent-qualty players on incredibly friendly contracts. even george hill couldn't find a (long term) home.

we'll see, obviously bringing back the same team will have its benefits. but man, DJ may have much further to go than I thought after tonights uninspired summer league display (-15 or something like that). 82 games is a lot of seasoning, and having a real team around him would help, but man he and the whole team just looked awful.

other than that, i'm expecting some random players to be signed later and having them turn in to moderately successful role players.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/882285899723177984

Well

Someone took the money the Kings have been throwing out begging for people to come to them.

well georgie, you could have played for the spurs for cheaper, but you would have been competitive. instead you're going to one of the worst front offices in the NBA. wonder how you feel about that (probably happy considering he got paid $57 million)?

gonna be weird to see zbo off the grizz after all this time. he was part of a core that did some real cool poo poo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The B_36 posted:

Someone post that Where Amazing Happens video of Zach Randolph with the Knicks clumsily dribbling the ball all around the court before haplessly jacking up a 30' three pointer that catches nothing but air. That's probably the Zach Randolph the Kings are gettting. I can't see him being all that engaged with a lovely team with a lovely culture that has a snowball's chance in hell of winning more than 25 games in the Murder Conference.

lol, i looked that up and its pretty funny.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
don't leave, marc gasol!

its already bad enough zbo's gone.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
rudy gay, huh? cool

good to have someone who can come in and fill up kawhi's rest minutes. plus, if he fits in well he'll probably make for a fine small ball 4

spurs need scorers, especially with tony out. maybe rudy will fit in well and actually score some points. that'd do the spurs plenty of good and if it all works out their post-season form could actually be pretty great.

edit: or of course the achilles tear could have him completely cooked

wonder how simmons fits in to all of this

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

If Tony Parker isn't healthy to start the season I could see the Spurs doing some dumb poo poo like grabbing him

poo poo, i'd grab him for a minimum contract

if DJ, White, or Forbes don't work out then there are much worse things than having a vet min derrick rose as a fallback

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
dejounte murray has been hot trash in just about every summer league game. the guy dribbles it up to his shoulders and losses the ball on drives frequently, that is, when he's not just getting it stolen outright

the spurs' plan of throwing murray into the fire might turn into a complete disaster

on the other hand, bryn forbes looks amazing out there so maybe not all is lost, or maybe summer league isn't always the best indicator of success

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

The vibe I got was Murray wasn't exactly happy about playing with Forbes.

what do you mean? didn't notice anything like that myself, would like to hear what you think

i think forbes is going to steal his spot this season. just a little bit more consistency and the guy is patty mills 2.0

either way, they were both playing combo guard, taking turns taking the ball up. murray just couldn't make anything happen all game, while bryn seemed pretty comfortable out there. seemed to have pretty good chemistry with bertans too

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
rockets seemed to have put together a really solid roster.

i hate to say it, but i think they've jumped the spurs this offseason

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lmao at kevin durant

i'm ready for basketball to start

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

isme posted:

Compared to the other team owners, the Buss family does rely on the team as their main source income. At least the ad is very subtle compared to the others.

i thought the advertising money went directly to the players as a means of keeping them onboard with the practice.

granted, its surely a long con since after the trial period i'm sure the money and its access will be expanded.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

That's gonna take someone's eye out.

reminds me of jeremy lin's faux-hawk that was like a blade pointing forward from last season(?). in a game he stabbed someone in the face with it and shortly thereafter had a new hair cut.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah, but he's worth more than that. I think the Grizz ownership situation is a bit weird right now.

they probably know they have to pay gasol and bring in someone else if they want to do anything other than tank. so saving money seems reasonable.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

its definitely a bummer

but actually pop made it sound better than the people from reddit. pop made it sound like he'll be ready to go for the season, despite him specifically mentioning no time table.

plus kyle anderson played well today and once Gay is back in nba shape he's a starting caliber 3 if poo poo gets bad for kawhi.

not perfect, but not bad.

danny missed the beginning of last season and we did alright (not that danny=kawhi, but still)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

He said it's from last year. If you have a problem that got worse over the offseason that's a disaster heading into the season.

yeah, but he didn't say it got worse, just that it didn't heal up as quickly as they thought/hoped it would

i'm with you that its definitely not good, but i'm trying to say more hopeful

yes, everyone else, i know its bashez

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
anyone else loving this jersey ad talk during the game?

loving

fascinating

:suicide:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
does anyone know if you can upgrade from team to league pass

my auto went through for team but this year we'd probably rather have league

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I think if you contact support they'd probably do it for you.

thanks. that was the plan but they're super clogged up right now.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AggressivelyStupid posted:

There's upgrade option if you go to your account. I'm thinking about going to the premium one that includes the in arena cam. It says no commercials, does that mean no commercials period?

thanks, i think i just figured it out

with the premium, i think it just doesn't cut away to those hilariously narrated "top 10s" or the music with the leaderboards.

instead, i assume, it just stays in the arena and you see the acts and cheerleaders and stuff.

i don't know for sure though

i've never seen an actual "commercial" while using league pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ray's Top 5 Things For the Upcoming Season:

5) How the new Super Teams pan out

4) How Rudy Gay and the other new players fit on the Spurs

3) Will LaMarcus have a redemption year

2) Competition in the West

1) Kawhi winning the MVP

Honorable Mention: Just having NBA basketball back. Feels like its been forever.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 1, 2017

• Locked thread