Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zapplez posted:

In the salary cap era, I'd be suprised if they win more than 1 of the next few years. We've already seen Cavs beat them before. Their big 4 (5?)or whatever can't last.

That was pre Durant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

4 best postseasons of all time by WS/48
1) michael jordan
2) birdman
3) michael jordan
4) javale mcgee
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

More evidence for why WS>WS/48.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TBeats posted:

They have five titles.

BAA titles don't count and titles won in other cities shouldn't really be counted either. Three is still excellent though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TBeats posted:

The NBA draft for next year is before the MVP announcement for this year lol

Why did they do it like this?

Probably so they can have rookies at the event to market bad teams as well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Buddy Hield, looks like you made it

My first thought when looking at the picture.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Brolander posted:

so who yall got for Most Valuable Poster? i'll probably just mash that Bashez again this year

Easily Kibner, I sent him money on paypal for my all star game ticket before meeting him and got the ticket instead of just losing money to a stranger online.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Man, I wonder what European Blake Griffin is up to these days.

Getting ready for another NBA pay day. This time as a center.

"The Brooklyn Nets, Philadelphia 76ers, and Dallas Mavericks have expressed interest in bringing Jan Vesely back to the NBA, league sources told Basketball Insiders...Fenerbahce advanced to the 2015 EuroLeague Final Four for the first time in team history...Vesely was an All-EuroLeague First Team member in 2016, including EuroLeague MVP for the month of January. Vesely averaged 12 points, 6.8 rebounds and one block per game in EuroLeague competition.

A few weeks ago, Vesely and Fenerbahce won the EuroLeague championship under coach Zeljko Obradovic, a nine-time EuroLeague champion and one of the most famous coaches overseas. Vesely had a 20.3 PER and shot a career-high 62 percent from the field while averaging 10.1 points per game in 63 combined EuroLeague and BSL games."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/jan-vesely-returning-to-the-nba/

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 14, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Guess they are drafting a fake Dirk.

edit:
or comedy option trading the pick.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 14, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wish the NBA could help teams like the Knicks and Bulls get competent owners. (or at least competent people making the basketball decisions.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Paul George is a better player than Kevin Love. He can guard the best wing which won't wear Lebron out as much. He makes their defense immensely better (which was their biggest issue).

Lebron has to play the 4 against Golden State anyways who is the only team that matters to Cleveland. That team with George matches up much better.

Wouldn't this give them a big rebounding issue?

Tae posted:

I'm going to be kinda really annoyed if Paul George gets way less than Cousins in a trade

Trading for George is riskier because all of the he is just going to leave for the Lakers if he gets traded rumors.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Clippers would be more fun but a Kobe/PG13/young Lakers would be kind of fun. They'd need a new center. It'd be fun to see the Kobe fans that hate LeBron have to cheer him on.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Niwrad posted:

How would the Clippers even make that work? Heat would be kind of interesting although they'd need some shooters.

Blake and CP3 take pay cuts. Wouldn't it work if CP3/Blake/LeBron each take about $20 million?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

The other owners are probably actually really pissed at Ballmer right now.

Probably. I'm sure we can all agree gently caress them for robbing the tax payers. Billionaires should have to pay for stadiums for their teams.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rick posted:

I don't blame you for not following the Lakers but Zubac is pretty good.

For some weird reason the Lakers were one of my most watched non-Mavs teams. This season I watched significantly non-Mavs games compared to past years. However, Zubac didn't play a lot of the games when I watched them, including when I went to the Dirk 30k game. I just haven't seen enough of him to judge his talent.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Pretty sure the Clippers era is ending and it will be best summarized by that clip of Crisp Haul having a seizure yelling at DJ to put the loving ball in the hoop the game isn't over

Lol at DJ if it ends.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

If he's building a whole new arena why doesn't he move the team to Seattle? Was there something in the contract about not moving it when he bought the team?

Also I agree with the Clippers feeling like the most soulless corporate team in the league w/r/t design and overall presentation

A bad team in LA would be more valuable to own than a good team in Seattle. The population difference is too great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The very first NBA game I attended was a Hornets/Magic game in the 90s.

Years before that the first NBA player I learned about was Magic Johnson. This is easily my earliest memory of any NBA player. The offseason is the perfect time to share this sweet video. I had no idea who this guy was but his name was Magic and he was friends with Pee Wee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HIyMLBg2NA

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 15, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zoux posted:

What did Jerry West do for the Warriors exactly?

Helped with roster construction, most importantly was a factor in getting Durant. (Though the official story of Durant coming to the Warriors has changed a few times now.)

Here is some spicy old NBA gossip. Someone I know from college knows Norm Nixon very well. He is so bitter he got booted from the Lakers that he still tells people in private Magic is gay and that's how he got aids.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Hmm lively culture, gorgeous landscapes and a near perfect climate vs shrimps and God's rear end in a top hat of a climate

Gosh I wonder why folks want to live in SF so much

If you don't think Louisiana has lively culture, you don't know what you're talking about.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Shrimps, kudzu, racism and a delight in humidity is not culture

Stop sniffing your own farts and travel around the country more.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I think Jerry West going to the Clippers gives them slightly more of a chance to land LeBron. (from 5% to 25%) It's hard to imagine players giving up large sums of money but Super Team guys gain the ability to get more sponsors. I hope this is an interesting offseason.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

2011 Mavs had injury issues during the regular season that were mostly resolved by the end of the year (RIP Caron Butler). SRS is going to make them look way worse than that Finals team actually was.

This. Caron was the #2 on the team until he got hurt. However, it moved Marion to the starting lineup and Marion played the best d in LeBron out of anyone in the Finals.

Ghost Dog posted:

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

which is hilarious and also made me look up the srs of the teams lebron and mj had played in the finals. The average srs of the teams lebron has faced is 8.201. The average srs that mj faced is 6.84. Mj didnt face a single team with as high of an srs as lebrons average.

imo Jordan played in a weaker era. Count how many hall of famers he went up against in the Finals vs how many future Hall of Famers LeBron went up against. Also, there were a ton of expansion teams. Jordan is still the GOAT shooting guard and it's hard to compare across eras. Really we should just label a small amount of players GOAT tier and understand it will never be settled.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Monta Ellis have it all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dokmo posted:

Summer League is gonna be so loving good this year.

This is going to be the summer league that makes me think Brussino has become a better player than he is.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dexo posted:

Rip his trade value

Announcing that really hurts the Pacers. I hope he gets traded on draft day.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder how much more grateful Melo is about his no-trade clause today. Without that, he might be on his way to the Pacers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/876541528101068801
I hope this ends with Tyson Chandler getting waived and going to a team he likes. Lol if he ended up on the Warriors. (I know he isn't the same player but it would still be cool to see him on a contender)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lol at Lebron possibly getting the best player from Wade's team. It's too bad Wade would never (and he shouldn't) take a massive paycut to join this Cavs team.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

We had better get another DeAndre Jordan situation, that was the best NBA offseason incident of all time

The DeAndre situation might get retroactively funnier this offseason. Imagine if Blake and CP3 leave after getting him to sign a long term deal with the Clippers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zogo posted:

LBJ was bestowed with kingly honors before even stepping onto an NBA court. Imagine the pressure.

This is easily one of the craziest aspects of his career. I remember him being hyped up as a potential all time great when he was in high school. That would crush most people.

Zogo posted:

That's true for many. But I take referee manipulation into account as well (favoring the underdog team). LBJ is so versatile that he has a big advantage there in that he can change his game on the fly like nobody else in NBA history. It can be very advantageous in close games. e.g. Imagine IT or Fultz doing G7 chase down blocks. Imagine IT or Fultz shutting down 99.9% of players on the court (excluding KD). It's pure fiction.

Most here knew (in the last off-season poll) what was destined to happen:

[code]

Because the notion that one can combine good players like an alchemist and defeat LBJ (or another elite player with a cohesive unit) is not always true.

This team beat the USA team:
Carlos Delfino
Gabriel Fernández
Emanuel Ginóbili
Leonardo Gutiérrez
Walter Herrmann
Alejandro Montecchia
Andrés Nocioni
Fabricio Oberto
Juan Ignacio Sánchez
Luis Scola
Hugo Sconochini
Rubén Wolkowyski

This team finished better than the USA team:
Roberto Chiacig
Luca Garri
Denis Marconato
Giacomo Galanda
Nikola Radulović
Alex Righetti
Matteo Soragna
Gianluca Basile
Massimo Bulleri
Gianmarco Pozzecco
Michele Mian
Rodolfo Rombaldoni

Throwing random players together doesn't always work:
Allen Iverson
Stephon Marbury
Dwyane Wade
Carlos Boozer
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Emeka Okafor
Shawn Marion
Amar'e Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Lamar Odom
Richard Jefferson

It does seem pretty weak.

Yes, the population pool to draw from is so large now that the NBA could expand if it wanted to.

Shows the value of a coach that isn't dumb enough to try to make statements by taking minutes away from some of the better players on the team. Shades of Butch Van Breda Kolff.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

LeBron should start trading Cavs future picks to a team he plans on joining in a few years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lol at Dan Gilbert. LeBron now has an excuse to leave when most of the day had Butler to Cleveland rumors. Lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

In a perfect world Dallas finds a way to get King Zing. They need a fake Dirk soon, it would be perfect.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It's going to be great when they go back on their word in a few years and only sell jerseys with ads.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lol that guy wasn't even a full-time basketball player in college, he also played football.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

what odds will yall give me on the spurs' jersey sponsor being HEB

I could also see Whataburger going for it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

bulls should've gone all in to reunite the Lopez Brothers and change the name of the United Center to Elbowtown USA.

I am 100% ready for the Elbowtime Lakers era.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I hope Kobe is sitting at home eating handfuls of PEDs so he can be the Lakers super 6th man in 18-19. The Lakers are almost baby.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

I'm a huge LeBron fan. Got to watch him play up close and personal a decade and a half ago when he roasted my lovely HS team when he played for Akron St V's. Hell I even saw him play football.

But he isn't immortal, he's getting older, and the thought of the Lakers chasing him with their hosed roster is almost too stupid to believe.

Jason Kidd was still a very effective player as an old man. I imagine mid-30s LeBron will still be good enough to be an all star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

For maximum hilarity we need the 18-19 Lakers to get really lucky in the playoffs due to other team injury issues, then have Lonzo steal Finals MVP from LeBron. Imagine LaVar's reaction.

• Locked thread