Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
LeBron James may well be the best basketball player I have ever seen. His play in the 4th was incredible.

Blake Griffin, JaMychal Green and Alan Williams will all sign with the New Yark Knecks.

What's up with Teodosic being on that Free Agent list? I thought he was never leaving Europe? He's been a superstar there forever he'd be a bench dude over here.

Is Donatas Motiejunas' body all hosed up forever now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The team that signs Kyle Lowry is going to regret at least two years of the contract they give him, yeah?

I'm also somewhat convinced that Danilo is a secretly flawed player who doesn't help your team that much. A real Kyle Korver type.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

seriously though someone tell me why KD said today that this never happened (immediately after telling a different weird lie about how he Never Watches The Finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c0_2msk6pk&t=373s
why would any of these people lie this is supposed to be sports not politics essing my dh in confusion

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
4 best postseasons of all time by WS/48
1) michael jordan
2) birdman
3) michael jordan
4) javale mcgee
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

More evidence for why WS>WS/48.

straight WS is flawed because Tim Duncan cheated his way to the top of the list by playing more games than all the other guys on the list.
http://www.basketball-reference.com...1.0&order_by=ws
Check out LeBron and Jordan at #5 and #6 with 14 and 17 games tho

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Actually, Lockback, I think if you look into you'll find that every move by Golden State was deliberate. Joe Lacob has it all under control. The man is a genius and the team is light years ahead because of their adoption of unique disruptive strategies.

ex post facho posted:

yo the nuggets have never even made a finals lol

oh and they're owned by the kroenkes

genuinely sorry fr your team walmart owner who thinks he knows what the gently caress he's doing and will find a way to blow it once things start going good :[

https://vine.co/v/OWuFmidQqzW

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Joe Lacob gave Mark Jackson strict orders not to faith heal Curry's ankles until the contract and draft picks were all behind them.

collusion and wage fixing, straight out of the Google/Apple/Adobe/Intel playbook :cool: https://pando.com/2014/03/22/revealed-apple-and-googles-wage-fixing-cartel-involved-dozens-more-companies-over-one-million-employees/
(I believe the settlement was around $415m dollars and everyone blamed it on Steve Jobs [conveniently dead] "wow we were totally unaware of our own hiring practices" say remaining CEOs)

genius strategies from Silicon Valley can't fail to succeed, gotta love it

edit: hah just thinking about how often you CEOs saying to the public "for legal reasons I was totally unaware of the highly unethical and exploitative practices going on in my own company, but despite my willful ignorance I am still the most fit person on the planet to run the place, which is why I deserve these obscene piles of dragon-gold that would be unachievable to even our most highly salaried employee in a lifetime of work"

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 13, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

Do you put a games limit on this but not a minutes limit on this just to Leave out Kawhi?!?!

Dude seriously put up one of the best playoff runs in NBA history and I don't think anyone is going to remember by next year.

It was for 16 games for 16-0 meme reasons, which wasn't a great idea in retrospect because I forgot that there used to fewer games until relatively recently.

Going by minute does look more like the list of GOATs, just for you:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48
1) LeBron age 24
2) Mikan
3) Jordan
4) Kareem
5) Wilt
6) Frank Ramsey
7) Kawhi

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

as far as I'm concerned Stunning Steve Austin of the Hollywood Blonds borrowed all his entrance bits from Sandman of the ECW

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He's not willing to play any position full time. He'll sit out most defensive possessions.

TBeats posted:

The great ones tell lung cancer "not today"

cigar smoke doesn't go into the lungs! Mouth and throat cancer only!! Your joke is invalid!!!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Libertine posted:

A cat from the cat center could coach GSW to a title.

Mark Jackson is the only creature on the planet who couldn't coach that team to a title

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

the warriors now here you go:

this iconography is confusing and I don't accept it as canon

freakin' database tech company logo elevated above all men, glowing in the heavenly sphere

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

isnt someone supposed to be stepping on the constitution?

hah it really does have that Bad Political Cartoon art style to it, don't it?

Let's toss in some extra nonsense to round the whole thing out. Draw Trump's hair on Giannis and have his long arms stretching out to pickpocket a wallet labeled TAX CUTS from the asspocket of a Jeremy Corbyn cartoon who is making out with a bald eagle puppet labeled Angela Merkel being worked by a dark-skinned hand arm protruding from a white-robed KKK figure labeled ISIS, toss an oil derrick on the Oracle dome and have it pumping blood onto Isaiah Thomas drowning in a kiddie pool balanced on top of a pile of guns.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

entire nation misjudging steph because they categorically refuse to be seen walking a mile in his shoes

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hayward played for Stevens at Butler, yeah?

Smuckles you will not be able to find an accurate assessment of Hayward's abilities because he is White+American, a condition which gives the viewer basketball cataracts. Kevin Love had the first 30/30 game in three decades, he's got a ring, he's been the second best player on a team that's gone to the finals three years in a row and we still have no idea whether or not he's poo poo.

But Hayward did really well and beat LeBron that one game which is better than anything anyone on the Celtics can say recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jglz8s3Q1HE

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 14, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah with great success (2x ncaa finalist)

but that was college

Thank you. I edited a more thorough Hayward evaluation with video into the post for you

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Without looking at any stats or thinking much about it I'd be willing to say Avery Bradley is one of the five best on-ball defenders in the league. He passes my defense eye test so hard. Like watching a terrier go after rats.

Also thinking about man v. man defense I thought Klay was way more important in that finals series than Steph. Klay should get the absolute most money you can spend on a 3D guy.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Space Camp fuckup posted:

EvanTH for MVP imo

thnk you for this vote but I cannot accept it for myself so I would like to dedicate it to KD's mom

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Dolan is terrible, but it's been a few years since he's been in direct control. The current state of the Knicks is due to Phil.

The current state of the Knicks is still recovering from Dolan's bullshit. We didn't have our pick last year (Nuggets took Murray with it) because Dolan traded it for Bargnani. Why does Melo have a no-trade clause

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Are we all glossing over the fact that Morey is about to trade for Carmelo or what

no I'm keeping very quiet so as not to jinx it

actually good, neat

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

verbal enema posted:

I hope no one on the Cavs goes away :c

shumpert needs to prove himself to me again that loving dropped pass killed me

not even DWill? The one who played not the one who didn't

when he was on Brooklyn there were these local cheap cell phone ads (both the ads and the service was Cheap with all the negative connotations intended) with Deron Williams that were the absolute worst commercials I've ever seen. They're not online I've searched for them a few times. It was Boost or TMobile, can't remember which. He could barely speak his lines, the concept was "I am fast and so is our cell phone service" and it had a sped up film clip of him dribbling between his legs a few times with a whoosh whoosh sound effect and then he said if you think that's fast try this cell phone. I don't immediately have words for how bad his reading of his lines was.

companies usually upload their own commercials to the internet, but this one was so bad they tried to flush it down the memory toilet. Much like DWills finals performance

edit: also, Ian Sjumpert is the worst.
SOMEONE CHANGE THE DANG THREAD TITLE TO IAN SJUMPERT IS THE WORST
I should screenshot that post

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Pretty sure the Clippers era is ending and it will be best summarized by that clip of Crisp Haul having a seizure yelling at DJ to put the loving ball in the hoop the game isn't over

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OWlQDLFSU

y'all making me realize my standards of behavior for the megarich are so low that not blatantly coercing tens of millions of dollars in subsidies from the city that's already gifting you endless money simply for owning your status trophy team is considered Excellent Good Behavior sheesh

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Remember when Kyrie tried the stepback three that won the finals the previous year and Kevin Durant unfurled his spider limbs and threw it back in his face

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

..i still haven't watched the second half of game 5

You should watch it for LeBron in the fourth. He's the best player I've ever seen and there was nobody else on his team. It was glorious and amazing and completely hopeless. It was like watching uhhh let's say Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović trying to holding back the Turk during the Battle of Kosovo 1389 or Sarah Kerrigan getting overrun during the Fall of Tarsonis in February 2500

edit: February not March

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

who all remembers mark eaton the walking mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7rLoN0SHy8

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spite posted:

LeBron "Sisyphus" James. He was incredible all series. He had, what, one bad playoff game this season?

Yup! He was absent in the loss to Boston, was a weird anomaly.

Brolander posted:

6 left in the 3rd right now. brief hope even though i know the outcome. cavs getting molested on every play

Kyrie gets injured at some point and is allowed to stay in the game unable to move correctly because the Cavs don't have a coach

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
two men whose careers were ended early by the shrieking sexual puritanism of the early 90s media, neat

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

It was MetroPCS.

haha it's true it was.

I'll be honest it was filed it was filed in my head under "off-brand hood phone" rather than one company specific, which might be odd because MetroPCS is my provider because their lil store is the closest phone store to my house and I didn't want to walk far if I had physical hardware issues. I do feel like they steal from me slightly less egregiously than some of my previous large providers like Verizon used to.

I think the point about the commercial being too embarrassing to upload stands tho'. I'd been searching for generic Deron commercials, not looking for the brand.

euphronius posted:

Still think he sandbagged the one bos loss to motivate his teammates .

I believe it and I think the massive disparity in the gamescores and the apparent deliberate-ness of his play otherwise supports your assertion.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01/gamelog/2017/#all_pgl_basic_playoffs

3.6 vs 20-35 every other game. Watching him power through the Warriors in Q4 of game 5 is what LeBron looks like when he's trying.

Mr. Mambold posted:

As an official old person my hot take- pause, ok we know old people have lukewarm takes at best because- Chuck the Condor needs to go Old School with a long Z Z Top beard and a toy lawnmower that he pushes maniacally around during timeouts and then vaults over the mower handle, does a 360 in the air, splits his pants into 2 pieces, which then fall around his ankles, and slams a ball into the net......kind of like I did on that tricked out BSA 35 years ago, except there was no basketball, no net, and I was going maybe 40mph...bonus points if he wipes out a newly planted tree.

lol

GOOD Blow the Whistle is the best Bay Area anthem* even though a rapper's best song isn't supposed to be off his year 20 mildly successful comeback tour album
(*Narrowly edging out 93 Til Infinity, whose importance is temporarily diminished by recent use in a hilariously ironic Paul George Gatorade Commercial, and I Got 5 On It. E40 was always kinda lame, and Tupac wasn't Bay Area he was a NYC drama school kid and Andre Nickatina barely made anthems)

Noctone posted:

Oh wow a suburb of Baton Rouge is significantly cheaper to live in than San Francisco, do you have any other hard-hitting news for us?

He was participating in an ongoing discussion and reinforcing his example with statistics ! I like when people do that!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ammanas posted:

Hmm lively culture, gorgeous landscapes and a near perfect climate vs shrimps and God's rear end in a top hat of a climate

Gosh I wonder why folks want to live in SF so much

NYC has no landscape, has like four days of good weather a year and then is either way too loving hot or wet and freezing, outside of Plain Slices we got barely anything in the way of food culture (unless you're rich) and we also have a massive pricing issues but we blame it on our landlords, it's nothing to get defensive about.

Landlords becoming disgustingly wealthy by raising the cost of living for everyone is a grand NY tradition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Astor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Rensselaer_(family)

edit:

Space Camp fuckup posted:

San Francisco smells like piss
We definitely have the edge on SF in this department. Everywhere in NYC smells like piss, and whenever they do any sewer repair there will be many-block-radius areas that reek of nothing but human waste. This might also lend to that lack of food culture thing.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I was wrong. This is actually the dumbest thing that I've read this morning.

That wouldn't make your previous statement wrong unless you're experiencing this morning as single event instead of traveling through time linearly like the rest of us

are you aware of future events?

please redgrendel can you tell me if the Knicks blow their pick this year I have to know :{

Cool Buff Man posted:

... thread title ... "Is Ian Sjumpert the worst"

this is my driving purpose and I will lie cheat and steal to make it happen

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hand Knit posted:

Then that must be pretty bad because this derail is horrible.

It is really bad! Can you please change the thread title to "Is Ian Sjumpert the worst" it's the defining post of the last several months

edit: no question mark

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I like Tae's basketball posts, but I love Tae's player name aphasia

plus "Is Ian Sjumpert the worst" was an accidental post in the G/V instead of the GDT

Spacebump posted:

I think Jerry West going to the Clippers gives them slightly more of a chance to land LeBron. (from 5% to 25%) It's hard to imagine players giving up large sums of money but Super Team guys gain the ability to get more sponsors. I hope this is an interesting offseason.

But Woj reporting the move drops it down to like -25%. LeBron might decide not to go there simply to spite Woj's reporting

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

Magic Johnson didn't have AIDS when he retired :argh: He was HIV+, he didn't have AIDS. He was forced out because of the super hosed up (although understandable) stigma surrounding the disease at the time.

Same era a bunch of local Moms organized to have me kicked out of preschool because they figured every hemophiliac had AIDS like Ryan White (and for the most part we did thanks Bayer but still wtf I ain't never been HIV+ and even if I was I probably wasn't going to gently caress the other kids)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Magic Johnson had a bunch more years of MVP-level play in him but now folks don't even remember how hosed up the HIV stigma was. Teams were saying they'd refuse to play against him and people were nodding like "yeah understandable". This kinda thing was happening everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRfIb5TpMmg
ADA wasn't even passed until 1990 so there was barely any legal recourse for a lot of that poo poo

Well he's going to take a paycut to play somewhere. No opinion until I know how steep the cut is.

thnks mods for new thread title

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I don't think the entire league needs to be rewired because my team is currently poo poo.

Saying the NBA lacks parity because of superteams then wanting to solve it by making it more like FIFA means your thinking is very confused.

predicto posted:

To be fair, people were genuinely terrified. HIV transmission was not yet understood by the public, and it was viewed as a virtual death sentence. This wasn't simple prejudice - this was actual fear. Fear borne of ignorance, but sincere fear nonetheless.

Certainly, but there's a very compelling argument to be made that it was allowed to become a massive public health crisis in the first place due to simple prejudice ("the population brought it upon themselves through their immoral actions"-type thinking) thoroughly compounded by greed (pharma companies ignoring their own research and continuing to sell infected blood products + refusing to devote resources to the health issues of a politically unpalatable group). Eh it's a moot point by the early 90s I guess

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I literally cannot tell if that shirt says Quickie or Quicide

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Niwrad posted:

For the same reason the Packers are staying in tiny Green Bay. San Antonio and Portland have passionate fanbases that have shown they can support an NBA team. Maybe that changes someday.

Packers ownership scheme and resulting fanatical fanbase (sry for cognate redundancy) warms my collectivist soul and strikes fear into the twisted blackened hearts of every team owner the world over.

A city of 100,000 supports one of the most successful franchises in sports because they own it and can't nobody take it from 'em.

Haha you can almost put the entire city into the stadium

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 16, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Latinx posted:

nah evanth nyc has proper food. well, at least in queens

heard good stuff about all kinds of cheap queens food but it's way the gently caress out there. It's second on the list of places that are barely NYC anymore after Staten Island

edit: how is rockaway part of queens instead of brooklyn Queens is huge and weirdly shaped and usually feels like long island

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 16, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Terrible offseason for the Knicks so far. Fran Fraschilla says KP won't resign as a FA and Pablo Prigioni turned down our offer to assistant coach to take a head coaching job off in Espana

interview with Fran: https://nypost.com/2017/06/15/the-high-ceiling-stud-knicks-should-be-praying-for-espn-expert/
really not much info in it. He wants Isaac at the 8, but he compliments Knicks scouting staff because they took Porzingis (all rumors were pointing to Mudiay I think?)

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 16, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

:TimDuncanEyePop:
this one right

Cool Buff Man posted:

Really would have liked to see the Emmanuel "The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, goes from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake" Mudiay - Melo combination, although I'm fairly sure you would have committed suicide by now

thanks to excellent use of our triangle offense there are always two open passes we refuse to make under any circumstance

Noctone posted:

Porzingis on the Cavs would own so hard.

Porzingis on any good team will own hard.

Doltos posted:

I wouldn't worry too much. Winning and good team vibes fixes everything.

Haha but this is exactly why I'm worried

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I would guess that they'll backload contracts as much as possible, encourage the guys to take less for the next 2 years in hopes of having more championships than the Heat. And once that happens then the pressure will be intense to go for 6. Barring catastrophic injury, the emergence of Giannis as the best player in NBA history etc

Also they're going to have to deal with a Spurs team custom tailored to beat them specifically. Next year they'll be smarter and wear tape and compression everything to prevent injuries

The owners have lots of funny money, but the exponential luxury tax penalties that pay out to 2/3 of the league are designed to be the exact sort of thing that irritates a rich man

Did you hear about this new bullshit from that Gores motherfucker and the endlessly destructive cabal in charge of Detroit:
https://deadspin.com/detroit-officials-argue-that-inability-to-give-billiona-1796174573

• Locked thread