Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dang media has no respect for a coach who consistently leads his team to championships (of life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh poo poo I just realized Brady Hoke is the most obvious interim coach on staff

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stoops will only coach again if his One True Dream Job Iowa opens up, obviously

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I assume because of recruiting?

Which is a weird thought because Kelly needs his assistants to do that, he doesn't give a poo poo.

e: I just discovered that Chip Kelly was Johns Hopkins (Johns Hopkins?) defensive coordinator in 1993.

His career is super weird, he went from obscure I-AA assistant to the hottest coach in football in, like, two years

Benne posted:

I guess my big question with Chip is: does he really want to go back to college? It seemed like he was pretty much done with the recruiting hustle and political games when he took the Eagles job. I could see him just hanging at ESPN for a bit longer and hold out for another NFL job (that will never come).

I know everyone says he hated coaching college but it's pretty hard to believe he's not gonna give it another shot given how successful he was at that level and how much money he can make doing it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Wait....the Trev Alberts that was fired from ESPN for being a loving horrible pundit opposite Mark May?

What?

He's been AD at UN-Omaha for awhile now and obviously would be a big hit with fundraising given his history there, it's not that weird.

Also I don't think they intended to fire him he just got mad and stopped showing up. He was way better on that show than May, not that that's saying much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember reading some piece where an unnamed source said Chip would only go back to College for a service academy gig. They kinda recruit themselves and don't have to deal with boosters and poo poo

That sounds like bullshit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

Chip Kelly to Rutgers please.

gently caress you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Are there even people who still sincerely want Gruden to coach their college team and think it's a thing that could happen? I wouldn't even hire him for a NFL coaching job at this point, not that I think he has any desire to do it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have read a few people say that without a hint of irony.

He's really good! That's also the rare NFL offense that might translate relatively well. I think he's probably gonna get an NFL head coaching job relatively soon though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

nate fisher posted:

Tee Martin come on down.

He's a good recruiter but his offense has been rear end this year.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I thought Dooley was like a WR coach or something, not really as impressive.

Yeah he's the Cowboys WRs coach. Has been for awhile too. They do pretty well with undraft or lowly drafted WRs so I think he found his level

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

At Georgia Southern, the jobs of head coach Tyson Summers and AD Tom Kleinlein are really heating up.

The team is horrible at 0-4 and is getting shithoused regularly. Going into last night's game, their offense was 128th out of 130 teams in offensive yards.

Add in that the program has a lawsuit hanging over its head from last year's offensive co-coordinators and I'm betting that both are gone at the end of the season, barring a miracle.

Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Can we get Bob Stitt to UTEP? I mean, why the hell not?

They might wind up being good this year eventually because the losses are both to good teams but right now he's like barely .500 at Montana the last two years. And Montana is a really good FCS program so it's not like Mines where any success at all was amazing

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 6, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Has anyone ever had three separate stints as head coach at the same school? I can think of a bunch with two, but not three, unless you count Alvarez's biannual bowl game coaching appearance. Becaue I think Mike Riley is gonna be available to make his uh, triumphant (?) return.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chris Ault had three

Yeah i looked it up and the answer is Chris Ault and some guys from the 20s and 30s. Also shouts to Dr. Eddie Anderson for getting non-consecutive coaching stints at two different schools, Iowa and Holy Cross

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa hasn't fired a coach since 1978 so I can't play this game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Randaconda posted:

Has any coach from Saban's tree did really good, though? (Besides Jimbo, obviously)

Dantonio didn't get hired directly from Saban's team but his scheme and style of play is a lot more heavily influenced by his time with Saban than it was by Tressell.

Calling Kiffin a Saban assistant is true but only kinda, it was three years where by all accounts they fought constantly, I don't think he absorbed a lot. I do agree that he's probably a lovely head coach, although he's doing fine at FAU (in a complete tire fire of a conference)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

For what reason? Franklin got an extension last season through 2022 and he's already one of the highest paid coaches in college football.

Saban makes even more and that doesn't stop him from leaking interest in texas every time it opens so he can get another raise

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"jokes"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tennessee has a defensive line coach with Head Coaching experience to serve as interim coach I'm just saying

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Why didn't Brady Hoke work out? I mean I know he wasn't a good coach, but was it bad recruiting, bad playcalling, no defense, what?

He made crappy assistant hires and isn't good at tactical stuff generally. He's very good at recruiting and coaching defensive line, but that's about it. He was good at a mid major where he could recruit circles around his conference and win on pure talent but he was way over his head in the Big Ten

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Mac fired yet?

wooo boy that clock management at the end screams someone trying to get fired

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Isn't Illinois kinda stuck with Lovie no matter what for a while because of their money situation?

I don't have a ton of faith in the hire but it's way too early to judge Lovie. The cupboard was completley bare and last year was basically a throwaway. He got hired late in the process and didn't have any time to recruit, so the freshman class was whatever a lame duck Cubit managed to cobble together after the Beckman disaster. This is his first actual class and they've started 13 true freshman already, including 4 on the offensive line and I think 3 on the DL

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Small sample size, but both times we played them they made insane, unthinkable mistakes. The two guys who seemed completely over their head were him and Claeys, and Claeys is gone. Illinois looks like the closest thing I've ever seen to Greg Robinson Syracuse.

Cubit was also a lot better with that roster. I think this is going to end up like when Lane hired his dad at USC, and also disproves the oft-repeated Rex Ryan/Herm Edwards/etc... should just get a college job argument.

It's not the same roster, he's playing a shitload of new guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

I can judge Lovie -- he's done. Looked washed up in his last years with the Bears, looked washed up with the Bucs, looks washed up now. There's a reason he was available when Illinois had to "settle" for someone, because no NFL team was giving him a look again. He's not a long-term solution, certainly not a short-term solution, and nothing will come of his tenure other than Illinois having to start over yet again when he's gone in 1-2 years.

It was a horrible hire from the start and I can't believe people are still trying to justify it.

I literally said i didn't like the hire in the post you are quoting, you dork. That doesn't change that he walked into about as bad a situation as any coach could walk into. Trying to fire him in year 2 doesn't really solve anything. If he still sucks in a year or two when he's actually had more than one real recruiting class then sure. It's not like they're losing that much, they were already basically at rock bottom.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Whoever Nebraska gets had better be a top-tier recruiter.

Disagree. It'd be nice but it shouldn't be the top priority. There's gonna be a cap to how well they can recruit there regardless of who it is unless it's, like, Urban Meyer or something. They're far from any of the really talent rich states and no one in high school now remembers them as a super power. They need someone who is either really good/different tactically or someone in the Ferentz/Alvarez mold who can develop/scout like a motherfucker to get the most of the underrecruited talent in the area

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Dingdingding. (although Callahan did reel in a top 5 class in 2005 :v: )

They were only 4 years removed from being in the title game then! Also Kirk goddamn Ferentz had a top ten class that year, 2005 was loving weird

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Iowa has a good, stable program, but I thought that Nebraska fancied itself as a blueblood. If they were okay with endless 8- or 9-win seasons they'd have kept Solich and, later, Pelini. I figure they need someone who can fly away from the cornfields and poach some 4-star recruits. I'm not saying they will achieve this.

I mean they can fancy themselves whatever they want but Iowa's finished the season in the Top 10 5 times since the last time Nebraska did it. At some point they should probably accept that they aren't going to be OSU.

Bo didn't solely get fired for his record, it was as much him being an rear end in a top hat and huge embarrassment to the program off the field as much as anything. And if you've kept up with him recently it was probably a good call (not that looking the other way toward violence against women would be out of character for Nebraska's football history)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Butch has the two best Tennessee seasons of the last decade.

Like most programs at that level they've probably just one really good coach away at any given time but they've been down relative to their fanbases expectation for a long time now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OTOH, Butch is 0-6 vs Will Muschamp

That's insanely bad

The point of that post is not that I think Butch is a great coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

So what the gently caress happened to UNC because Larry Fedora looks like he’s about to get fired

Everyone who was any good graduated. This was always supposed to be a rebuilding year, if they fire him they're dumb as hell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Who are the top coaching prospects this season? I know that Frost at Central Florida is one of the names being thrown around a lot, but what about anyone else?

I think bigger programs might take a run at Brohm or Matt Campbell. Norvell at Memphis seems well positioned for a P5 job. Blake Anderson is probably gonna cruise to his third straight sun belt title at Arky State. Jason Candle has kept Toledo marching along. Seth Littrell doesn't have a huge track record yet but he's a really good offensive coach and is doing a nice job turning UNT around. Frank Wilson seemed like he was gonna be a hot name, especially since he was a great recruiter in the SEC, but UTSA hasn't looked great recently.

For coordinators Moorhead at PSU is a big one. Schiano might get anothet shot from someone. Alex Grinch is doing an awesome job with Washington State's defense.

LLCoolJD posted:

I hadn't heard of him. South Alabama and Troy have both shown some success as well.

I really hope at this point that Florida has exhausted themselves of hiring Saban assistants.

South Alabama sucks. I like Neal Brown at Troy but they've underachieved this year aside from the LSU game

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

It's hard to imagine anyone would take a run at Brohm after one season. Especially since Purdue just lost to Rutgers.

It's not like this is the first time he's ever been a head coach. He was awesome at WKU and they fell off a cliff without him this year. Purdue is way better than they have any right to be, even with a bad loss today. Hazell won 3 conference games in 4 years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

I don't think Jeff Monken is leaving Army, like how Mr Howdy loving Doody Troy Calhoun isn't leaving Air Force or Ken Niumatalolo is leaving Navy

Calhoun has interviewed a few times, and Ken is starting too after years of being resistant to it. Even though they're good coaches lots of power five programs won't touch them because of the option stigma (though that's less an issue with Calhoun). There's a lot of rumbling about Niamatalolo and Oregon State right now, which would be an awesome hire for them. Nebraska should look at him too if frost doesn't want to go home but probably won't.

Dango Bango posted:

Wasn't WKU more of a Taggart success story? Not that I'm doubting his Purdue turnaround - that speaks for itself.

What about Jeff Monken at Army? I know it's triple option, but he's been pretty impressive there.

Taggart started it but they only won 7 games with him. They won 10+ games and the conference twice in a row with Brohm. Plus you can tell he's a really good offensive coach just watching those teams. I think he's Petrino without the gross parts.

General Dog posted:

As far as Harsin is concerned, I'm not sure if anybody is that bowled over by him being just an okay caretaker at Boise for two years

Yeah I don't really get the appeal there, Boise is still fine but they've been steadily falling off from where they were. They're good but they haven't been a serious contender for best G5 program with him and he inherited about as good a G5 situation as you can get. I could see a west coast team making a run because there aren't a ton of standout mountain west guys right now but eh. I also don't think he's all that eager to leave

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'll add Dino Babers to the list. Baylor was stupid not to go after him last year. His tenure hasn't been perfect, but dude knows how to coach offense, and I think he'd be insane with better talent.

Hmmm yes I can't think of a single reason why they'd want to avoid former Briles assistants

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Florida has to take a big swing here. The thing about the McElwain hire was that even those who liked the hire would admit that it was profoundly boring and safe. There's an enthusiasm deficit right now and the program needs a shiny new face to lead it. I don't think they'll get that from Dan "Mr. 8-4" Mullen or Charlie Strong.

I'm sure they're fine coaches but they've both got tread on their tires. Gator fans were all too happy to see Mullen leave for Mississippi State in '09. And taking Strong after he got chewed up and spat out by the previous major coaching job he had isn't going to get people excited. Similarly, I don't think it would be easy to sell a guy like Mike Norvell since it would just feel like another McElwain-esque hire.

They need to go after Chip Kelly and Scott Frost and get back to scoring 50 points a game.

He goes 8-4 at Missippi State, man. They were garbage before he got there. And if Florida fans were happy to lose him they were dumb as hell. Or maybe you really enjoyed the playcalling of Steve Addazio

Strong would be a dumb hire, I agree on that. He inherited a loaded team, and after Texas (where he genuinely did an awful job, no matter how mean boosters were to him) I'd want to see an extended run out of him at USF before I gave him another big job

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Your argument was “why would he leave Starkville” and the answer is “he would, and he’s tried in the past, he just hasn’t gotten an offer.”

Yeah i don't get why people think he wouldn't leave; he's interviewed for other jobs several times. He has a pretty good thing going there but obviously he's not opposed to the idea of leaving for a higher ceiling job. He's mostly still there because he's an awful interview by all accounts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scionix posted:

LSU: wants to be a national power, completely irrelevant before the 2000's

they have the 12th most wins of any FBS program

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can hire a good coach without necessarily trying to chase Chip Kelly or whatever the hot name is. Iowa State and Purdue made arguably the best hires of the last two cycles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's hard to imagine Leach would want to put up with all the extra bullshit and pressure that comes with coaching Florida but maybe if they pay him enough or he doesn't like whoever the new Wazzu AD is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

*bangs fists on table* NO! ROD BROADWAY!

he's no john grass

• Locked thread