Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aah gently caress it why not.

MAC HOT SEATS THAT ARE TOTALLY NOT A BLATANT RIP OF THEGREYGHOST'S POST AT ALL NO SIR

East
Ohio - Frank Solich - Finished 8-6 and went 6-2 in conference. He's likely here until he wants to retire. He's safe. 1/5
Miami (OH) - Hell of a finish for Chuck Martin last year. 6 straight wins and took Mississippi State to the wire in the first bowl game in what felt like ages for Miami. If anything, he's a candidate to go somewhere else. 2/5
Bowling Green - Mike Jinks seemed to find a groove as the season went on last year. He's only 3 years removed from being a high school coach so growing pains (plus a loss of almost the entire offense before he was hired) were to be expected. 2/5.
Akron - Man who even knows. Akron has a ton of budget issues and much bigger issues than football. Still, Terry's seat is definitely on the warmer side. 3/5.
Kent State - Paul Haynes is a great guy but has almost no budget, a rough offense, and now an investigation into a lineman who died in a summer camp. Barring a miracle season, it's hard not to see them offloading him, even if it isn't entirely his fault. Their first game this year is at Clemson :gonk: 5/5
Buffalo - Lance Leipold is still relatively new but last year was a disaster. 3/5.

West
Western Michigan - Lester is brand new. 1/5.
Toledo - Candle is still pretty new and has done a good job keeping the momentum Cambell gave him. He's fine and may get some looks at bigger schools soon. 1/5
NIU - Carey is on a bit of a warm seat, which seems weird for any coach that's 31-12 at a school. This will be an interesting year as it seems like NIU has slipped a bit behind Western and Toledo. 2.5/5.
EMU - Chris Creighton beat BG for the first time in ages, took NIU to the wire, went to a bowl game for the first time since 1987 and finished 7-6 to the shock of drat near everyone. Lord knows if he can repeat the performance but he has an ice cold seat. 0/5.
CMU - Stun Oklahoma State on a miracle play you shouldn't have had. Shock NIU on the road in triple OT. Then lose 4 of your last 5 and get obliterated by Tampa in a bowl game. The MAC! Bonamego is probably safe for now but they've got a new AD. 3/5.
Ball State - Neu only has one year under his belt and Ball State is a mess. This is gonna take some time. 1/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MacIntyre's extension has been approved at Colorado.

FBScoops posted:

Colorado regents unanimously approved head coach Mike MacIntyre’s previously-announced contract extension on Thursday.

The new contract was originally announced in January, but approval by the board of regents was held back following a Sports Illustrated story that detailed abuse of a long-time girlfriend of then-safeties coach Joe Tumpkin and MacIntyre’s response therein. The school hired a third-party to investigation the situation and found MacIntyre withheld critical information that violated the wording of his contract — allowing the board to fire him with cause, if it so chose.

The board didn’t fire MacIntyre, obviously, and instead approved the extension that will pay him $16.25 million through the 2021 season. His 2017 salary will be $3.1 million. MacIntyre made just over $2 million before bonuses in 2016.

The whole timeline is really sickening. Holy poo poo gently caress this school.

quote:

1: On the morning of Dec. 9, MacIntyre received a call from the longtime girlfriend of safeties coach Joe Tumpkin saying Tumpkin had repeatedly and violently beat her. The two speak for 34 minutes, during which she details nearly two years of physical abuse. MacIntyre asks if the woman is safe, she says she is.

2: Precisely a week later, MacIntyre announces Tumpkin will run the defense and serve as defensive play caller for the Buffaloes’ Alamo Bowl appearance December 29th against Oklahoma State (defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt had accepted the same role at Oregon).

3: Tumpkin is suspended on Jan. 6 after The Boulder Daily Camera obtained a copy of the temporary protection order (TPO) and ran a story about it.

4: In late January, Tumpkin resigned from his job at Colorado and was charged with five felony counts and three misdemeanor counts of assault.

5: Colorado regents delay approval of a previously-announced $16 million extension for MacIntyre.

Here is what we learned following the release of a 4-month, third-party investigation:

1: MacIntyre’s 34 minute initial call with Tumpkin’s girlfriend occurred at 6AM December 9th. 13 hours later, MacIntyre made his first outreach to his AD. During that time, the report states MacIntyre made or received approximately 20 phone calls including 4 to his agent.

2: MacIntyre did not actually get in touch with his AD until the morning of the 10th. At 9:31 that morning MacIntyre called & engaged a private criminal defense attorney who had previously represented players “adverse to the University” in Title IX proceedings. This attorney “served as MacIntyre’s advisor during his second, third and fourth interviews” for the report. In explaining why he engaged the attorney MacIntyre stated, “When it is this magnitude, I am going to make sure I cover every base; it impacts reputation when it hits.”

3: Later on the 10th, MacIntyre blocked Tumpkin’s girlfriend’s number on his cell phone.

4: MacIntyre and AD Rick George met with Tumpkin on Dec. 11 to inform the assistant his girlfriend had called MacIntyre with her allegations against Tumpkin. The pair tells Tumpkin they did not want to hear anything about the situation so MacIntyre and George “would not be in the position of being witnesses or exercising influence.” George says the meeting lasts two minutes.

5: December 12th the woman sent MacIntyre an iMessage and also left him a voicemail on his cell phone informing him that Tumpkin already had another woman in his apartment, and that she was worried for her safety..

6: Neither MacIntyre, George nor Colorado chancellor Philip DiStefano alerted law enforcement at any point during this time, and MacIntyre did not contact the University’s Title IX OIEC.

7: December 12th, at his request, MacIntyre provided Tumpkin contact information for an attorney who had represented several CU football players in legal matters.

8: The woman iMessaged and left a voicemail for MacIntyre on Dec. 15 saying she is going to file a temporary protection order against Tumpkin the following Monday.

9: December 16th MacIntyre publicly announces Tumpkin will run the defense for the upcoming bowl game.

gently caress Colorado

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Kent State: AD Joel Nielsen’s new contract runs through the 2020-21 academic year and pays him a MAC-high $428,000, according to the Record-Courier.

Not sure how this bodes for Haynes, I think he was hired by the previous AD, but Paul's likely in win-or-die mode at this point regardless.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ok this is pretty funny

Noles247 posted:

In his agreement with FSU, signed March 6 of this year, [Dameyune] Craig will make $8.10 an hour (40 hours a week). The agreement ends June 30, which signifies the end of the fiscal year.

because LSU owes him $575,000 in a buyout

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i'm sure FSU had to pay him something just to make his employment official, it's just kinda funny that all he's making is minimum wage in the meantime.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Do you think he's bothering to clock-in or is whoever would be considered the supervisor just manually inputting 9 AM - 5 PM on the time sheet?

I'm sure the agreement is just for FSU to pay him a 40 hour minimum wage for the year while his LSU buyout pays him. Like KKKLIP ART said, it's the bare minimum to put him on the rolls for the sake of benefits, but FSU's got no reason to pay him while he's still got LSU's buyout coming.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's a fun one. Penn State has sued former DC Bob Shoop, now at Tennessee, over a breach of contract

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't get Shoop's stance here. His contract clearly calls for him to pay it back but all his lawyers are seeming to say is "nope not doing it" without any explanation or defense on why.

Yeah it's actually kinda great.

"Uh hey, contract says you owe us just under a mil."
"Nah."
"But-"
"Nah."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha it gets better

quote:

In response to Penn State’s suit, Shoop has now counter-sued his former employer according to PennLive, citing “intolerable” working conditions and stating he did not leave but was forced out of his job. Through his lawyer, Shoop has informed Penn State he does not intend to pay the nearly $900,000 the school says he owes and is instead asking Penn State to pay him $75,000, the minimum amount to get a suit into federal court.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah lol at the 'intolerable conditions' thing but wasn't Shoop doing a hell of a job at Penn State? why would they force him out?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

E: Is it normal in coaching contracts for coaches to pay back the school salary already earned. Cause that's not cool in my book

Sometimes. Some contracts may not pay certain bonuses if you leave the school before a certain date, or there's various language in buyout clauses that can be used to attempt to handcuff the coach to the school.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Western Michigan's deal with Tim Lester is 5 years, $800,000 per. Same as PJ Fleck got.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Florida: Florida has provided raises to the following assistants — defensive coordinator Randy Shannon earned a $400,000 bump to $890,000 a year on a 3-year deal; running backs coach JaJuan Seider will make $340,000 a year on a 2-year deal; defensive backs coach Corey Bell will average $302,500 on a 2-year deal; and offensive line coach Brad Davis will also average $302,500 on a 2-year deal.

goddamn Shannon making that money

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To be entirely frank, 9 wins seems like A&M's ceiling, not just Sumlin's

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: i'm dumb, wrong thread

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 12, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: gently caress

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 13, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Army has announced a “multi-year” extension for head coach Jeff Monken. Length of the extension and financial terms were not disclosed. Monken is in his fourth season at West Point; his 8-5 season in 2016 was the Black Knights’ best finish since 1996 — including the academy’s first win over Navy since 2001 — and his current 5-game winning streak is the program’s longest in two decades.

god drat does that say a lot about the state of Army football lately :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UTEP has fired Offensive Coordinator Brent Pease

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Mike Norvell likely isn't going to be at Memphis for very long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arizona State was trending down lately but they really cratered when Norvell left. He's a fantastic offensive mind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I hope he stays clean, he was clearly in a bad way for quite a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm not so sure of this either. Urban's last couple seasons at Florida were messy but he still wrecked poo poo there on the whole.

Plus, y'know, the 2 nattys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eichorst is owed $1.7mil by Nebraska per his buyout.

Also:

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/910932462708121600

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think BTN alone is now sending something on the order of $60+ mil per year to every school other than Maryland and Rutgers. Cash flow isn't a concern for anyone in the B1G at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino have been fired by Louisville. In addition:

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/913037614575493120

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

If another school takes a shot at him his buyout is less? Or is that a different thing?

Correct.

Also it's a lot easier to buy Bobby out if the new AD wants to clean house.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

This is probably why Chris Petersen took so long to move from the Boise State job.

He had a very sick son being treated in Boise.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Also Mullen's agent should be calling UT's AD every day.

probably is, but his client's a drat horrible interview. there's no way he hasn't spoken to several schools in the last few years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man this is gonna get good :munch:

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/914967045111939072

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

At a speaking engagement at the Atlanta Touchdown Club, Bob Stoops shared that he has no intentions of returning to college football, or coaching in the NFL. “You won’t see me on a college sideline or a pro sideline. A lot of people act like they know, and there will be more than a few jobs out there. But that isn’t at all what I’m looking to do,” Stoops shared, according to SEC Country.

I still can't help but think there was more to his quick departure, but hey maybe he did just get tired of it all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

good points about Stoops' dad, I'd forgotten about that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TipTow posted:

People are still going to be asking "Stoops???" in loving 10 years from now whenever there's an opening at a top-25 prestige program, not understanding that

Definitely means

He's not gonna coach again. Book it.

poo poo, people still being up John loving Gruden despite him being out of coaching for like a decade.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Ole Miss: Athletic director Ross Bjork shared with The Clarion-Ledger that he is not a candidate, and is not interested, in the vacant AD position at Nebraska.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it surprised me to see his name come up at all either, but I suppose reporters were wondering if he was thinking about jumping ship.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Does Wisconsin still have a statue of Alvarez in the head coach's office?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/917461051737853952

Looks like he declined his buyout money????

Scandal, illness, or ???

Yeah something's up here. You don't give that up unless there's very good reason.

E: It drat sure wouldn't be illness, in that case his disability clause would have kicked in and he'd have been a moron to decline it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well i'll be damned

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Iowa hasn't fired a coach since 1978 so I can't play this game

Speaking of, sounds like their AD is taking an extended leave for prostate cancer surgery and treatment. That sucks

E: Unrelated:

quote:

NC State: The University and head coach Dave Doeren are working on an extension reports Dan Wolken of USA Today, who adds the University expects to announce the extension in the coming days. Doeren’s existing contract only ran through the 2019 season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Andersen story gets a lot stranger. John Canzano of the Oregonian published texts Andersen sent him after games (with Andersen's permission). The texts absolutely shred his staff.

quote:

Andersen (Sept. 4): "Self promoting... that's what this business has become!!... That's the biggest reason I am not long for this (expletive)!! Kids are a second thought or third or fourth!!"

Andersen (Sept. 20): "I hired the wrong (expletive) guys and are still working our way through a bunch of recruiting years that stunk!! It's year three! If these (expletives) can't get it right I will not just say fire them and start over!! That's not the way to go about it. If I (expletive) it up that bad I will take the bullet and ride off into the sunset! I will stay old school!! I will not die doing this (expletive)!! Stay tuned!"

Andersen (Sept. 24): "Need five graduate transfers in this class!!... I am in a good spot. Got a lot of '(expletive) everything' in me and that's when I am at my best!! Staff understands their (expletive) is on a short rope!! We are not great today but I expect to be better as we move forward this season!! I like this fight!"

Andersen (Oct. 1): "I could give a flying (expletive) about natives! I have not looked or listened to any of that (expletive) good or bad... My plan won't change. Coach my (expletive) off for these kids seven more times!! They will get all I got!! ... I will grind for these fans they deserve that!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Ohio State: The board of trustee’s approved an 8% raise ($430,000) for Urban Meyer, according to Steve Berkowitz. Urban’s contract calls for a 6% raise annually, which would have totaled $320,000. The bump brings his annual compensation to just over $6.4 million for 2017.

• Locked thread