Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm pretty sure this is to prevent people from starting the GATE and then just leaving as soon as it starts.
What kind of degenerate doesn't want to be the fungah!!

EDIT: Also holy crap, removing elemental materia might make materia transmutation pretty drat profitable, assuming everything else works the same way (and other materia prices don't go bonkers). Before there were 24 materia types; you wouldn't get back any of the 5 types you put in, so you had a pool of 19 to select from. Let's say you only counted crafting/gathering materia as the useful outcomes, this means you had a 6/19 shot at getting something good basically. Now, instead there are only 18 types so you have a 6/13 chance.

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rosalind posted:

While we're talking about inventory changes, is there a reason why the Currencies tab doesn't include all the random trial/raid/beast tribe-specific currencies you receive?
It does include the beast tribe currencies. Otherwise, yeah I agree, imo the more things we can shove in there the better.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Has anyone ever had someone offer to do a craft as charity and then fail the craft and lose all the materials? I have that horrible fear whenever I help people out with this stuff, even when I know 100% I can craft it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

The nerds are still crunching numbers
And, unless I'm misunderstanding something drastically, definitely don't use the Ariyala bis solver with its default stat weights. It says it still gives 0 weight to Direct Hit points so it should be completely wrong.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My idea for Tornado Kick: Using it grants the Monk a special 4th stack of Greased Lightning for some period of time. This stack can't be refreshed, and you lose all of them when it runs out.

Basically it would feel like a badass version of "unlocking your true potential" kinda thing where you push the limits and are then tired out afterwards, and would give more leeway in terms of using it before a boss goes invulnerable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Limit Break must be a hacker, I see him sneaking into other group's parses all the time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I've been in several parties with Hank Hill and by god do they commit to the bit.
The first boss of Keeper of the Lake must be godly for propane jokes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Truga posted:

So how do goons here handle abandonment in o7s? My group keeps getting hosed because one or both guys get hit with it fairly often, despite positioning exactly the same every time.
I've heard lots of claims of people getting hysteria from that mechanic purely because of latency combined with the game being dumb about checking for positions and stuff. I can't 100% confirm any of that, especially without seeing your group in action, but it seems fairly possible that yall are just having bad luck. Maybe they're gonna change it in the 4.21 hotfix patch tomorrow?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is O5S so easy? I did a blind party and we saw to enrage in a few pulls. :psyduck:
I think their strategy with SB Savage raids is to make the first fight easy enough that most players won't feel excluded by the whole thing right from the get-go.

At the same time, though, o5s is actually super annoying and I wouldn't be surprised if I never manage a great individual run of it DPS-wise because everyone just fucks around and I always stop paying attention and die to some bullshit.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I've been working on that loving otter in the Ruby Sea for what feels like forever. gently caress that guy.
I happened to get to him on a day where Reverse was one of the regional rules, made it a lot easier.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

vOv posted:

I do like that a WHM could solo Twintania in like 3.55 just by letting her enrage and then healing through it. Probably doable by any healer job now.
Along those lines, it's pretty easy for any reasonably geared level 70 class to solo Garuda Extreme unsynced now, which makes getting Nightmare drastically easier. Getting groups together to farm something that probably drops like 2% of the time or less is awful, but today I spent like 90 minutes punching a bird lady and got the mount nice and easy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This may sound alarmist, but I think this honestly the worst of all the Diadem-esque releases yet. This Content Is Really Bad.

I rushed to level 5 only to find that my next point of interest would be at level loving 13, and sure some people will respond "hey what's the rush? just play it casually." But there's nothing to do except rush. You can farm efficiently, or inefficiently if you want, but whether you do that for 20 minutes at a time or 2 hours at a time there is literally nothing else interesting happening. Just get a group, find an isolated area, and pull the same type of mob, one at a time, 30 times in a row. Then do it again. Or farm solo, and do the same thing, but get a little less xp per hour.

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 13, 2018

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

I wonder how the FFXI apologists are responding to this.
There are always people claiming to enjoy just sitting back, chilling, and letting their brain turn to mush for a few hours, but I think it gets pretty obvious pretty quick when content truly dies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's like someone saying they prefer playing Cookie Clicker by doing nothing but clicking the cookie, never buying any upgrades. What do you even say to that?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Countblanc posted:

its 2018 man, dont do this poo poo
While this doesn't make it completely non-problematic or whatever, it's a pretty specific reference to this ridiculous old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-fJCr2ZGdw

I just feel like it makes it look a lot worse if you assume it's a completely random jab.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what are the 10x and 20x chain bonuses? increased drop rates?
Yes, and on the 10th, 20th, and 30th you get some bonus xp as well.

As far as I know lockboxes only come from Notorious Monsters, but it's possible things change as you get to higher levels.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

Can't you only get 360 gear by doing savage or upgrading ryumaku gear?
360 is the base item level of the current tome gear. 370 is when it's upgraded by savage stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

At this point I'm not sure what they could do to save Eureka, outside of replacing almost all of the monsters. Nobody likes to fight trash, so just swap out each grouping of enemies for a big beefy boss with actual mechanics. Why not have a big chameleon enemy that changes elements as the fight goes on, forcing you to rotate tanks? What about some kind of sorcerer that attacks with various elements, or a robot that puts elemental landmines that need to be cleared by someone in the right spec or else they blow up on everyone nearby?

But nah, we just get trash mobs that auto attack you and occasionally use an AoE. Super interesting...
Yeah, the elemental system is currently basically meaningless because there's no good reasons to be switching while you're chain-pulling 30 of the exact same mob over and over. The mechanics and incentives in place make sure that nothing interesting ever happens.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Eureka is intended to best be played in a group of 4-8 of a relatively standard party composition.

The object is to take your party to a spot on the map and chain pull enemies 5-6 levels above you while utilizing crowd control and maximizing DPS and kill chains and avoiding aggro. - Very much identical to how a party in Final Fantasy 11 worked

You should assign one person to be your "puller". Prefferably a Tank as these mobs can and will 1HKO DPS and Healers.

If you are recieveing poor rewards you are likely playing the content wrong

The content is NOT ment to be played like Diadem or Hunts; that is "zerging" enemies in alliance sized groups. With the exception of Notorious Monster spawns.

The difference in XP and rewards between playing the content properly vs playing it incorrectly is a factor of 10.

Rewards increase in value and abundancy the further you progress into the content - with the most challenging monsters rewarding the best - as it should be.

The further you venture, the more dangerous the enemies become. Crowd control is extremely advisable.

Elemental affinity is less about increasing damage and more about reducing incoming damage.

This means it is of the utmost importance that tanks properly switch their affinity.
Shut up, nerd!!

I know this is from some Reddit thread, so just imagine I'm saying it to them through you.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

EDIT: Whoops beaten to the punch on the Feast cyber bullying tragedy. Except uh, there is a slight chance some bamboozling has happened.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 19, 2018

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Partied with an elemental level 11 dude riding his mount around in Eureka.

Yup.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Today I had a PotD run end at floor 189 because of a healer who had no idea how to heal or do anything that didn't get us horribly killed.

Then I cleared God Kefka after about 70 total minutes of progression by silently joining a clear party PF and pretending I knew what I was doing.

This game, man.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I'd ask how it didn't become apparent long before then, but before like floor 175 healing is nearly optional in PotD.
Oh it was apparent. I was mostly in it for the gold-trimmed sacks, and we still got 10 of them, so honestly it wasn't a terrible deal. It still just stings though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, I had zero empathy for Evil Space Pope but I thought confronting him was both awesome and perfect Final Fantasy ridiculousness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Wish it'd said anywhere that I can only get the choco barding for the first rank 10 skill tree I pick. Would have saved me a bunch of allied seals and I'd have had whm instead of drg :mad:
AFAIK you can get the others, but you have to rank your chocobo up past 10 to max multiple trees at once.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That just means he didn't get chained up, right? At this point I would blame literally everyone equally for that, it really doesn't matter who grabs the chains.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol at the change to PotD. Now you exchange your aetherpool points in smaller increments!!...long after the weapons you can get from it are basically entirely irrelevant and no one cares anymore.

That buff to Main Scenario roulette rewards is kinda nice, but they really need to buff the experience bonus for me to be willing to bother.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Prae already gives over half a level of experience in in the 60s.
It's like, maybe 50% more than Alliance Roulette despite taking a Literal Hour.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Watching Japanese players while having Chrome auto-translate the Twitch chat is amazing.

JP peeps are talking about the method of Awakening Titan, where you have to arrange three puddles so he's standing in one of them, and they're starting to mess with the English speakers with funny ways of describing it. So a bunch of english speakers are confused by the "tea bubble stew" method and other silliness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Guys, help. I actually want to play Eureka Pagos. :ohdear:
Sorry son, you're beyond help.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Being able to spam the final, boosted xp set of floors sounds amazing. They should change PotD to let people start at 91 also.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

jalapeno_dude posted:

(Edit: they may both be describing the same set of experiments, don't care enough to look beyond the abstract.)
lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

So Curious George is the Warrior trainer, I gather?
No.

it's spelled Gorge

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Holy poo poo, I finally finished leveling my chocobo companion (named Pazuzu, of course) to rank 20.

Definitely do it, guys, it's totally worth it! it's a big dumb pointless waste of time

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

And I assume your racing chocobo is rank 300 then? Or if not you better get to work!
You know it; my racing bird Brian is inbred to perfection.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah when casual players are finding casual content too difficult that most certainly is the case. Pagos isnt hard to understand. Its meant to be a slog and if you cant stomach it then you dont deserve the reward, simple as that. it literally only takes 1 lockout a day for a couple of weeks to get the weapon. Its really not that difficult.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's entirely possible that they would have been way worse off without that dude playing DRK. Maybe he couldn't get in the zone enough with other classes, and maybe their team chemistry was too reliant on him operating in that way.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As much as I knew Pagos would suck going in, I had no idea that being a Triple Triad collector would magnify its badness so hard.

I ended up having to kill Louhi 18 times to get his card, ie 15 more than you would ever have to in order to completely finish a Pagos relic. And the card from doing Bunny FATEs could have been way, way worse, I think I lucked out.

But either way... I'm finally done with that poo poo. Never again.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 24, 2018

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol yes, that one I got really early, which I guess was also pretty lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

The feels when DDoS and general lag has screwed you out of a clear all week, you find somebody with gold parses to fill in on Monday night while you're racing server maintenance, and then when all is said and done their parse comes back as a 9/100.

At least we got the page (fill in had already cleared for the week, somehow).
Was it a healer? Healers with gold parses are not to be trusted.

(I only mean this half-jokingly)