Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm the opposite. Give me that asymmetrical outfit design nearly every time (interesting, draws the eye).

I'm glad that Susano weapons are relatively easy to get and that the new currency is on the way. It's nice having options for gear and I hope they continue this. Would love to see them productively iterate on Alex token design next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Nicaden posted:

After a few runs at Susano EX, I heard my party members talking about the enrage timer and how close we were cutting it each attempt. I was wondering if there was a way to keep track of when a boss will enrage? My teammates seem to know exactly when the boss will enrage, and I was hoping to find out how they know.

It's a timer counting down from initial aggro. IIRC Susano EX is 12 minutes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Are gathering classes a way to make gil at higher levels reliably, or do you need to combine it with crafting disciplines to really make money? Currently I've been spamming BTN because it's kinda fun, inexplicably, but I'm not sure it's going to be worth maxing out.

Yes and yes. Though gathering without crafting is at a disadvantage, maps and goods from folklore nodes (especially HQ) provide a steady income. Then you can pay attention to the market - what goods are constantly in demand by crafters who make more gil buying the components instead of harvesting themselves, what fish are used in leves and provisioning missions, what unique or rare mat suddenly became valuable (see: Mariner Cotton Cloth when 2.2 hit). It won't make you among the richest on any given server, but consistent activity and smart spending will add up. Hell, while I've never been into endgame overmelding, I can still afford a large plot when Shirogane opens.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Think SAM would benefit since more haste = more combos = more Kenki and Midare. Only time I see it being an issue is in AoE, but it would either need to be an exceptionally long AoE phase and/or bad timing with Invig already on cooldown.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

This thread needs more pictures of people showing off their cool decked-out characters. (in my humble lowbie opinion)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

Lmao

Just me and my duck

I love my duck

Captain Oblivious posted:

Woah what pieces are the Assassins Creed getup

Gazelleskin/Twinsilk of Healing

isk
Oct 3, 2007

quote:

Looking into implementing ways for players to visit the garden before the 4.0 final boss again after clearing it

Best live letter

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Nice live letter. Relieved that their current approach to SAM/RDM DPS is to buff other classes appropriately. PLD nerf seems reasonable and sensible.

Surprised and not that they're pushing back against calls to nerf Menagerie. How wild would the theoretical Savagerie turn out.

Augus posted:

Susano and Lakshmi EX aren't fights where I need to stress to much about having the best gear are they?

Not overly. Full left side Verity gear is perfectly adequate, wouldn't sweat it if it's not melded or your jewelry isn't amazing. Hardest part is the first kill (not only as a confidence booster for the individual player but so that you can join Duty Complete listings in Party Finder).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

Shoot - just bought the Starter Edition on Steam, then realized someone might want to toss me a recruitment code. Is that still a thing? I think I can still use it; haven't hit "Transfer to Regular Service" on my account yet.

You're good until you pay for game time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Fastest way to level a class from 20 to 50 once roulettes are done is PotD, and the second-fastest is running around doing FATEs while dungeon-queueing for the highest level dungeon and doing class hunts, right?

To 60, and LDR is worth doing daily, but generally yes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

NAMAZU PET

NAMAZU PET

NAMAZU PET

isk
Oct 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

*reaches boss*
*waits for everyone to cross purple line*
*waits an extra twenty seconds, just to be sure*
*does a ready check*
*waits another five seconds*
*starts a twenty second countdown*
*pulls five seconds after the countdown finishes*

Too true. Personal favorite is the senseless pause while running to ostensibly pull the boss.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

On rare occasions (Pyretic, etc.) you don't want to damage something or take any actions.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

So, without the MSQ to give out gear, how should I gear my alt classes? I want to try out leveling an Archer, but I'm not sure where to get equipment other than crafting, and I've made no progress in Carpenter/Leatherworker.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just do dungeons and equip the gear they drop for 51-70

1-50 idk buy vendor gear or something

Also, bear in mind that while PotD is tedious, it's extremely efficient thru lvl 60, doesn't require good gear, and drops enough Poetics on you to equip yourself nicely at 50 and 60.

Otherwise, if you're part of a goon guild (which if you aren't I recommend if playing on Excalibur/Omega/et al is feasible for you; there's a lot of reasonably helpful folks), feel free to ask in chat for crafted gear. As long as you're chill about it, folks are generally happy to hook you up.

Another option if you have a 50-70 combat class is to run unsynced dungeons solo. Time intensive but potentially worth it, especially if you also favor the armor sets as glamours.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

all four bosses are seymour

sey-four

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Having kitted out my level 50 and 60 jobs with poetics gear and weapons, what's a good item to spend them on? I don't do any crafting, so I'm thinking of getting something to put on the market. Or is there other items I should pick up that I'm just overlooking?

Demimateria for vendoring, couple orchestrion rolls if you're missing them, Umbrite/other Anima items if you'd like to grind up the weapons for glamours.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'd be good with the previously mentioned solution of opening AoE abilities earlier for all classes. I'd love to have RA/GB/etc. in Garuda normal, but the cost to dev time with every balance patch seems unsustainable.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

Finished Heavensward. :toot:

Is this just gear syncing shenanigans or were The Knights of the Round always that easy?

Just about. Post-ult phase took a bit longer.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Pulling 1 pack at a time isn't great when I'm on a class and at a sync level where I can AoE, but it's worse when the tank -

-Inexplicably pauses
-Overpulls and lets adds eat the healer/DPS
-Doesn't know what cooldowns are, and then blames the healer
-Runs around like a dummy once mobs are in place

It's helpful to level as a DPS or healer so you can see other tanks (good and bad) and know what to do/not to do.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

moving outside your preferred role makes you better at all roles frankly

Agreed

Leofish posted:

Tanking big packs with lots of aoes to dodge is admittedly kind of annoying. I always hated Sohm Al Hard for that, even if that dungeon was quick and easy enough to do.

Definitely, that's the difference. You're moving intelligently. Running around randomly when they're aren't any AoEs to dodge is something else.

RoboJoe posted:

movement things

It sounds like you're fine, that you're moving and pausing with purpose. Usually it's possible to dodge AoEs and keep mobs in the same general location. Try to return to the same spot you were in before the AoE, if possible (it isn't always, don't sweat those occasions). FFXIV does a lot of things well, but it's not great at melee hit detection on moving targets.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Colgate posted:

Should I queue for Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry? I was wondering, since they're optional, they wouldn't get much play in the leveling roulette, especially since Qarn looks REALLY punishing for new players from the video I watched.

They're fine. Some will say to do the dungeons blind. Like, that works for some folks, but for me I like an idea of what the dungeon's/raid's about before jumping in with random folks. MTQCapture and Meoni on Youtube publish solid, no nonsense guides.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Minrad posted:

it's a big can of worms. blizzard started recently stripping API functionality out of the game because they had no good way to design fight mechanics where they couldn't be trivialized by how advanced API modding was getting. literally, addons would pull up little 2 dimensional maps or fight mechanics and tell you and everyone else in the raid exactly where to stand.

If they can limit it to things that just enhance UI or let you play with a layout that looks better, sure. But making boss fights 'easier' by enabling boss mods does make fights easier and pressure the devs to make fight harder or to telegraph less information. that's something 14's fights do really well already and I'd rather not see it gone!!

basically players are poo poo and should never be trusted with anything

This a thousand times. gently caress mods, gently caress needing to (at best) spend more time updating/replacing mods than I do patching the base game, gently caress the lovely subculture that enables reductive analysis of skill. FFXIV's UI could use a couple more components and improve a few others, but the default UI is significantly better than WoW's and it's perfectly adequate for most situations.

*edit -

EponymousMrYar posted:

Being able to have elements be freely moved about, turned on/off as needed and some elements resized to suit individuals taste is like, 95% of what I want out of customizing a UI. Some better conveying of information (enmity stuff) is pretty much the main thing holding it back from being perfect.

And that was before they added the class bars! (which need a bit more work yeah but it moved some info off of the buff/debuff bar so that's nice.)

Same.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 24, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How good is storm blood and is there a late game? Last I played was right after release and the game was do open world events to max level then sit around.

Extremely good, yes and it's good as well.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Garuda has fewer pass/fail mechanics than Titan, but it's the first boss iirc with non-telegraphed AoE. Mistral Song and Slipstream confuse a lot of new players, and some healers can't keep up when folks make a few mistakes in a row.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

PBC chat, someone reposts this Nate Silver pic from election day -

isk
Oct 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Given that sub-50 dungeons are garbo, which of these is the best way to power to 50?

PotD 1-10
PotD 51-60
PotD 51-100
Frontlines
Feast

PotD 51-60's the most efficient, especially in a premade that focuses on speed. Level 50-60 can be done in a day off with time to spare.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Augus posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress, this wasn't in 2.0?

Zinkraptor posted:

They always generated more enmity in defiance - I believe the patch just further buffed it. The phrasing is a little weird.

Remembering the same. IIRC, the patch changed the enmity modifier from 1.2x to 2x. Shield Oath was in the same boat. Leveling dungeons weren't a lot of fun to tank back then, and it was night and day after the patch. Don't recall as significant of a change to global tank enmity outside of the recent buff to Flash/Overpower/Unleash.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Guested with a static on week 1, PFed for the rest of the shafts, then switched to DF once most PF entries switched to Savage. It's been about the same experience I had for Gordias.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'd rather have them refine internal testing workflows, rather than opening up unreleased content to the playerbase and end up with design by committee. Or by rambling mediocres like MrHappy.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Imagined posted:

I have a noob question. If you're not level 70 yet (actually 41) is it worth messing around with materia and poo poo.

cheetah7071 posted:

no. Just vendor materia below grade IV and don't bother melding until you have gear you'll stick with for a while, usually not until level 70.

I'll add that the weekly challenge log for materia (meld 5 times) is worth doing for crafter XP, and that materia isn't easy to come by until HW or beast tribes (but that requires a time investment). Before SB I usually saved a few low level/value materia per week to shove into random normal quality gear.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

porfiria posted:

How is the demand for Healers/Tanks vs. DPS?

For random dungeons, it's the heaviest it's been since before Stormblood.

quote:

If I level up a Tank class will it be tough to find a raid group for example?

Difficult at the moment because most endgame groups are already formed. Openings happen from time to time, and new groups form whenever, but the pickings will be thinner on the average. Really knowing your class and the encounter is more important than role.

quote:

Is endgame progression entirely raiding?

Depends on what the latest patch is. Right now, you can get all but the very best gear through daily dungeons and one raid boss kill a week. Crafting gives some nice gear as well. The very best gear requires the highest tier of raiding. As more patches are released, there tend to be more options for progression.

quote:

How long would it take to level up/gear up a job if I've already maxed one out?

Depends how much you play each day, what kind of access you have to crafting/crafters, and how much time it takes to find a raid group. 1-2 weeks of steady play and some luck (Lakshmi/Susano EX) would get you raid ready, then it'll slow down due to weekly loot lockouts.

Bear in mind that Savage (highest tier) raiding isn't everything. It's usually a few percentage points above the next equipment tier, eventually equalizing with other options (weapons that rely more on time & grinding than encounter difficulty, for example). Crafting/gathering can occupy a lot of time as well (especially if you get into housing & farming). Same with leveling alternate combat classes & roles. I've played the game steadily since ARR launch 4 years ago, and I've only a couple times felt compelled to raid Savage.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

My PLD was using the enhanced Shire sword until 70, and the enhanced Shire armor till 68-69. All of the vendor weapons we're inferior until I hit 70.

Keep in mind that the improved Shire equipment is 270, and nq vendor equipment won't equal blue 270 until the very end of SB, if then. The last few dungeons finally provide greens capable of replacing your improved shire, starting with doma castle.

Nah, green upgrades start in Bardam's. Shisui is equivalent, and 64+ HQ crafted is a bit better.

Considering how often gear drops in HW/SB dungeons now, that dungeon queues for tanks are quick, and that dungeons are excellent XP, it's ridiculously easy to keep up to date with gear.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

+ Beast tribe daily quests (to 50/60)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

If a tank loses aggro outside of like the very first GCD of the fight its the tank's fault. In dungeon bosses diversion mostly turns "I use my aggro combo once at the beginning and then watch closely to maybe use it again near the end" into "I use my aggro combo once at the beginning then forget about it".

Yep! I've seen tanks (even goons) keep padding their SICK DPS (it's not sick) for a solid minute while I'm a pixel away from taking aggro. It's dumb.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

funkymonks posted:

If you are a pixel away from pulling but did not pull aggro the tanks aggro management was excellent. Any threat past what is needed to maintain aggro is wasted.

I should clarify that I was only autoattacking for that minute. It was garbage.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

funkymonks posted:

Comment retracted!

All good, I wasn't clear enough

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Leofish posted:

Sometimes I wish for a goad too, but I'm usually in groups with magic DPS.

Same as SAM, or a BRD/MCH who can give us TP recovery as a base skill. Elusive Jump being what it is makes it easier for DRGs to choose Goad.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Not many in ARR, but the Japanese playerbase heard about the English localizations and some started asking for that style.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Also, I have 372/99HQ Silver Ore, how should I price these for maximum Market Board price profit?

Just post it competitive / around what the current minimum is, provided that isn't absurdly low. Check the History button at the Market Board to get an idea of the average selling price. Full stacks are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

You're missing an E.

Nah, Koji would apostrophe it out (like "hist'ry" in FFXII).