Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ciaphas posted:

I know MCH is at the bottom along with BRD as far as DPS output right now, but how's their playstyle? Did the change to gauss barrel and their newfound mobility prove to be a fun mechanic? It seemed at first to me that managing heat would just kind of be a pain in the arse alongside managing your turret, but that was before we had any 70s reporting in.

I really like MCH but it feels like a hold over from pre Stormblood optimization and as if it didn't get any of the culling love every other class good.

You still have to watch for shot procs, on top of managing heat, on top of keeping track of ammo. In your mind you're always juggling those 3 "this is X so I should Y while my Z is what it is" variables while keeping Hot Shot up still while making sure off global attacks are always on cooldown.

Sometimes I forget to deploy/hypercharge turrets because I'm checking on those other things. I honestly wish they would get rid of them.

In PVP it feels so much more slick and streamlined due to abilities being baked into the combos and not having to worry about procs. You pay attention more to your character doing cool Matrix style flips to know what shot you just used and where you are in the combo instead of glancing down at your hotkeys to see if you got a proc to advance the chain.

Then you get Flamethrower and everything is ok because you just run up to roleplayers and fill their screens with glorious hellfire graphics.

I personally still like it despite it having a high skill ceiling still but the honest answer is you can poo poo out a ton of DPS easier by going with any other DPS class. If you play the numbers game then look elsewhere. If you like complicated poo poo from pre Stormblood, this class will be your jam still. I say this meaning the class is not hard, just complex.

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

:arghfist:

Just realized with my PLD that I hadn't done the 52 quest when I hit 54 because I forgot to check and I'm not far enough along in the MSQ. That said, I have just one piece of Ironworks left to get, a ring.

Not sure if you knew this but:

You can technically get two rings of the same type. Buy the first, then upgrade it, (I forgot how to do this with ironworks gear) then buy a 2nd base ring. Vola. Two good rings.

This may not be important for you since you're already trucking through the 50s, but later when you're making GBS threads Poetics it's not a bad thing to grab for another class set. Means a bit more for 60 gear than 50.

Givin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 7, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yup, I played a gladiator to 15, went through the adventurer's guild tutorials, and decided nope this is not for me.

I really do enjoy playing a healer and I don't mind dps (not that I'm an honest healer). Tanking just isn't for me - I realized my problem with tanking is that I'm a control freak, and I find tanking for pubbies stressful. Healing pubbies doesn't bother me as much.

I felt the same way, so much so it was worrying me that it would be stressful even tanking for my static group. I spoiled myself and played paladin for them. I level DRK and WAR by pugging my daily roulette. It was hard sometimes because people got used to the
"GO GO GO " mentality of being carried along.

Tank superiority is a thing here.

You're the tank and you're in control. It's perfectly reasonable for you to pull what you feel confident in handling. If people are going into randoms thinking it's going to be a run worthy of being shown during Awesome Games Done Quick they can gently caress right off. If they have a problem with it, they can leave. If you get kicked, who cares.

For most, the conversation goes like this...

Healer: "Hey, I am the healer and I am OK with you pulling more stuff."
Tank: "I'm sorry, I'm still getting comfortable with tanking."

From there most people will generally coach you along. Or they get huffy to which who cares. They are riding on your train. It sounds :smug: but this is the game. Your fun and enjoyment is just as important as theirs and to be quite honest, most people remember a smooth run of say, Stone Vigil that maybe took 5 mins longer than some rando who pulled 2 groups of ice elementals + 4 drakes and AE'd the poo poo down. (don't do this)

If a DPS bitches, just laugh at them because who gives a poo poo. They waited 45 mins to get in. A little bit longer wont kill them.

With gear and practice you'll know what you can and can not do with different group makeups. The game needs more good tanks, not speedrunners.

Givin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 7, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Source your quotes.

o7

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I forgot Adamantortise was a mount so I too regret forgetting about Golden Saucer.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Also the inability to heal the loving pet and being forced to watch as it dies to every AE ability because Garuda stands 1cm inside every AE radius.

I'm going to level it to 70 just for the changes that have to be coming, or to be ready for next expansion when it will be the bees knees for sure. Seems to be the way classes go.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

I read down to the part were they discussed using abilities like it were payment plans and then deleted SMN from my Gear Set list.

Haven't played mine past 60 but holy poo poo what did they do to this class?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
My biggest complaint about dungeons is that shortcuts aren't shortcuts and more long walks of shame.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I would like a real time battle mini game with me and my squad dudes that I leveled up for apparently no reason at all.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
First time I saw it I thought about the floor 60 PotD boss. Then I hit Sheltron and didn't give a gently caress again.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I thought the jump potion limitation was only for 4.0 and lifted in 4.2 or whatever.

Also. I did not enjoy Stormbloods story. I echo pretty much everything said about the Scions, I don't care anymore and wish they would just go away. Every time they try and add personality to them, it sizzles out like a squeaker fart.

Just give me more Cid and Nero's Excellent Adventure.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Captain Failcon posted:

Group fell through - Dumbass loving tank didn't tank the turtle correctly

Seriousposting:

I have failed this guildhest before because people killed the turtle.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Every time I think I have a handle of MCH they change poo poo up and confuse me all over again so gently caress this job forever. It's just not fun and there are so many fun choices to pick from it's not worth the time loving with one that's meh. If FFXIV were a traditional mmo where you're locked into one class per character I'd be sad.

Just make it's PVP rotation work in PVE. It feels good and looks good and is fun, just someone figure out how to get flamethrower in there. Drop turrets forever.

Or like someone else said earlier in the thread, make it full of gadgets like Edgar. Just create wacky horseshit that does random things. Bio Blaster, Drills, whatever. Right now you could remove the entire class from the game and nobody would notice, or probably care.

Shame too. Its animations are some of my favorite. I feel guilty queuing into anything but PVP with it tho. Anyone else got a different take?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Reverse Goatse. That is intense.

Also my static group has outgrown the need of the random leveling guild we're currently in and wants to make their own FC. How tough are they to level for say 4 people with more than average playtimes. I know nothing about free companies.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Don't forget to make the boss only accessible by a long bridge which has a 1/64 chance of spawning Warmech.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I would be so loving ok with this.

I'd love for it to spawn and look all 8 bit retro. Then completely shreds the raid with Nuke.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I do not like Royal Menagerie at all. I know that is an unpopular opinion round these parts but I can not be convinced otherwise.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I want a mount themed after Calcabrina's Theme.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
You can easily do 50-60 with Ironworks gear bought with Poetics. You do not ever have to spend a single gil on any gear.

If you want to spend gil tho, NQ is fine. Check vendor prices before you buy from the board tho. People like to buy it from vendors and price gouge on the marketboards.

(I'm one of these people)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Also this thread: "Let's have PVP auto combos in PVE too"

I'm all for this in the case of MCH combos.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
SAM is one of those jobs that makes more sense the higher you go with it. The most confusing part for me is I don't speak moon language and do not recognize the ability names so my rotation is "blue one, red one, white one, blue one" and so on.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

The real tragedy here is that now there are two expansions abbreviated SB

Heaven Sword was the best expannsion. I hope Storm Ringers is good tho.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Buy cheap off world, sell high back home. First thing I thought.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
A party would just slow them down.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers "Kicked out of party"

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Thundarr posted:

The motorcycle is on the mogstation now, but it looks like the site is getting hammered right now and attempts to select a credit card for payment are erroring out?

I saw it was 30 dollars and left so I'm not part of that problem.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

This is why I'm nervous to learn how to tank :negative: I'm not at all confident enough in my game knowledge to know how to set the pace for a dungeon run

I should probably level DRK or something before Shadowbringers comes out so I'm not one of the annoying Gunbreakers who has no idea how to tank and is just flocking to the new shiny job.

I too know this fear, and you just have to keep telling yourself that it doesn't matter. You set the pace with what you are comfortable with and don't sweat the esports meta where people feel you have to pull the entire dungeon at once. I'll take a 15 minute dungeon run where everything fires off well over a 5 minute run where my rear end in a top hat could compress diamonds from a lump of coal. If I'm not feeling a healer I'll even stay in tank stance sometimes.

Over time you get to know your limits and can start going by feel. You'll pull an additional pack here and there and be able to better manage cooldowns. It's already been said how some people panic and just go gently caress it, fire everything and blow every cooldown at once. Then you have 10 seconds of everything being fine, then you just insta gib when everything wears off at once.

Tanking is fun, even for a random group of strangers and doesn't need the added stress and expectation of he "GO GO GO" mentality. If you just want to muck about guilt free, you could always use the Command Group stuff in the barracks if you have that unlocked. Healing in there is hit or miss and you can kinda get a gauge on your pulls in certain dungeons. It's no substitute for the real thing, but it's there.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I still want that coat IRL.

EDIT: So glad I wasn't playing during this whole Eurika poo poo or whatever it is. What a trashfire system.
https://clips.twitch.tv/SucculentFineCoffeePanicVis

Givin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 9, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Been really curious about class reworks coming up and I wonder if they will try to simplify rotations and stuff. I don't know why, but I just can't wrap my head around 70 DPS rotations on almost every class besides NIN. Doesn't help that I really want to play MCH so bad but well, ya know.

Main reason that I tank most of the time. Life is simple here.

I'm almost scared if they even try it. I just remember the PVP culling revamp and while I enjoyed it personally, I remember people losing their poo poo over it in a big way.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I don't use any bind keys past 5, and 5 is the absolute farthest I'll go to press a key. Anything past that if I run out of mousebinds, gets relegated to click status. And anything on 5 is so far from mission critical I don't really need it beyond it being there.

So I keep.

1-3 for DPS rotation, 4 and 5 hate combo.

CTRL + 1-5 additional attacks. CTRL 2 has been my stun hotkey for games for over 10 years so I keep that there.

ALT + 1-5 AE abilities and triggers/spenders.

SHIFT + 1-5 for random bullshit, not used much except storing Ninja mutras.
and
Tilde, ALT Tilde, CTRL Tilde and `SHIFT Tilde for easy to fire off buffs in rapid succession.

I try to make all classes keybinds as similar as possible. Some are harder than others, like I just don't get Dragoon at all. For Ninja I put all my mutras on recorded G Keys and let the keyboard do the work. Haven't been hosed over by lag that I remember.

I could use QWERTYASDF for abilities I guess, but I don't like it despite only moving with mouse.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Because when I'd try things on 6 and beyond it was just too uncomfortable and I found it much easier to just rely on CTRL, ALT 1-5. That's just my personal break point. YMMV.

I haven't used 6+ in a game in over a decade and keyboards have more than enough G keys on the left side nowadays to even worry about it.

I do miss my old Logitech G15 keyboard tho. That thing was super comfy. I tried a Logitech Orion Spark but that thing was a giant piece of uncomfortable poo poo. Plus I was starting to get no end of bullshit problems with logitech's software. Now I just roll with a Corsair K55.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I too would like PVP style combos for some classes and feel zero shame.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I wonder what line we'll have to stand in this time. (I didn't stand in line, I cut that poo poo like high school cafeteria.)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
And with class balance coming up, and the removal of TP, there is a very good chance that what you're macroing will all be wrong overnight anyway.

Wonder if they would even dare gently caress with the GCD time. Scary.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I like to imagine a fight like The Royal Menagerie being put into WoW sometimes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm also starting to level my crafting up because I haven't touched it since day one of the game and all this talk of overmelding and scripts and stuff frighten me greatly. I'm not rolling in gil so I'll remember this stuff for the future. I just want to cap and be ready to move into next expansion, knowing I missed the boat for tradeskilled fortunes this time around.

I also regret not being able to play on Excal anymore and have that sweet sweet goon support network. If my static would move (and give up their house) I'd come back in a heartbeat.

For now I'm just going to get everything to at least 50 and sort it out from there.

Givin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 18, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Captain Cappy posted:

Can people find out which character a retainer belongs to? I've got so much crap in my inventory and retainers inventory and want to just get out of here asap by undercutting by a lot, but I imagine theres some weirdos who get pissed off about that sort of thing.

Seconding do it anyway. I've made 3 million gil undercutting dudes left and right last week just selling trash I collected leveling up harvesters.. I wouldn't have made 1 if I didn't do that because there aren't enough hours in the day to babysit every single facet of game available that I'm working on at the moment..

If dudes want to play and manipulate a market to get their monopoly man fix that's their business and I welcome them to buy me out and relist to their hearts content. I'll just throw up 5 more stacks a few moments after they buy me out and relist what they got from me for 10x markup and force their hand.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
We are rich with inventory space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I still hold that it would have worked as a regular job and the pressure of going out and getting abilities wouldn't have had that much of a negative impact on party play. It's no different than expecting any other class to maintain their gear levels for the content they are doing. Maybe a little more advanced but nothing that locking the job as something you can only get once you've already capped once and have a basic understanding how important these abilities are, leading you to go out and get them.

But we'll never know if it would have worked that way.

As it is, I think it's fine. Just another diversion from grinding away at what you consider main task type poo poo that you can pick up to just chill out with. Activities like these are super cool and important which gives you something to do besides grind savage or tradeskill the day away.

For fun main mage type job, I think Red Mage fits that role super well anyway. Great class flavor and a very friendly rotation playstyle.