Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A page without riker? Unacceptable!

(:rip: fracture)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Choyi posted:

World transfer is supposed to be up now right? But it still gives me "unavaliable due to maintance" message.

Considering the instance servers are down I wouldn't risk it even if it was up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm, Alisaie.

That isn't directed at her brother?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Man. This Raubahn instance wait is the most brutal mechanic I have ever experienced in this game.

And the trees keep trying to cut the line.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bad things about Stormblood

- all NPCs refer to your character with the n-word
- extremely graphic cutscenes in which Minfilia gives birth to eggs, fetishistically
- all jobs and classes changed to Warrior, Warrior no longer able to equip weapons
- the ability you like most was removed

Good things about Stormblood
- new hats

Also you have to line up for your MSQ

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm using a 1070 and approaching the Raubahn dogpile makes my client really unstable and it will usually crash eventually. I never had issues displaying the max number of players before 4.0 though

My 1070 drops to 50ish fps at most - check your drivers. (performance should stay high because of culling)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

queeb posted:

stormblood MSQ does not gently caress around at all

Yeah I loved the big dramatic cutscene followed by

quote:

[21:42]A system error occurred during event movement.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I feel like even a one-day beta test would have figured this out.

We're playing it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ither posted:

Even if they can't say anything new, reiterating that they're still working, even through the night, would be comforting IMO.

Something like this perhaps? http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/48c587aa8049a3ec3d6ba5970e25fa2b39ff28eb

quote:

06/16/2017 11:39 PM
[Important]Regarding Congestion for Instanced Battle Content: Follow-up
FFXIV Producer and Director Yoshida here.

This is a follow-up regarding difficulty in accessing certain instanced battle content.

The development team has changed the process for dealing with this issue so that as many players as possible can be moved to instanced areas for certain main quests and instanced battles.

As a result, players have become able to transition to instanced areas faster than originally estimated, but at the same time, players are now gathering at certain areas in large numbers, and this is causing the servers go down on some Worlds as a result.

Currently, the development team is making detailed adjustments by adjusting the speed at which players are transferred to instances on each World so that areas do not continue to go down and to ensure that all players can continue to play as comfortably as possible.

Although these measures were taken to help alleviate the difficulty in transitioning to instances, we apologize about zones going down as a result.

Congestion in the “Rhalgr's Reach” area is especially intense, so to prevent zones from continuously going down, we are carefully controlling the logins to each World and transitions to the Rhalgr's Reach zone. Due to this, it will take some time to login to any of the Worlds.

Everyone on the team will continue to put in our full effort to ensure everyone can enjoy early access.

According to reddit balmung has queues over 4000 players. :lol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UHD posted:

I can deal with being cockblocked by Elder Primal Raubahn, I'll just level other stuff in the interim.

... maybe, 'cause the leveling queue says "30+ minutes" and I hope to hell it's wrong.

Also I enjoyed the first Stormblood black mage quest because right out of the gate it puts you in combat and I haven't played black mage in months. Took a few tries but I guess it taught me how to black mage again.

Healer queues seem to be the fastest.

I assume because paladins keep running dungeons because they think they must've dreamt the last one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

How long does it take a PVP queue to pop for RDM/SAM?

POTD's probably still significantly faster than PVP for anyone under lvl 60 at least. :shrug:

Pvp has no set party composition because you can change jobs during the setup period.

Of course everyone is leveling something specific so they won't. For example had one match with 2 healers in the entire alliance. (Only time I got good use of Eos in pvp so far too)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Leal posted:

How did you manage that without any of the SB dungeons available?

PvP doesn't have diminishing returns above 60.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mine says 1022 now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Half or more of the playerbase still being gated behind a 61 quest is really loving bad, even aside from the more normal lag and disconnecting. People keep trying to defend it by pointing to bad launches by other games, but the most relevant comparison here is Heavensward, which was super good compared to this. For whatever reason, they poo poo the bed this time, and it's okay to admit that. Howling at the moon in rage won't fix it, but neither will being condescending to people who are upset.

lol

Its got to be well over 90% because while theres close to 1k in that area theres only 1 or 2 people in the othard zones according to people that have made it that far.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

panda clue posted:

Does MrHappy actually do anything terrible aside from making super verbose videos to attract this goon hate, or is it just goons being goony?

also lol homophobia in 2017

Hes really annoying on his twitch stream.

Hes almost hit 70 and is like the only person in the othard zones.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Raubahn has accept me. I'm loving crying over here. I can't wait to see what wondrous mission lies beyond this gated instance.

*clicks unmoving robot enemy for like 15 loving minutes*

Pipin's is good at least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kaldaris posted:

But things are dirt cheap and DPS queues (pre-Stormblood) were only like twenty minutes!

If this means I have to handhold mouthbreathers through dungeons, so be it.

DF is data center wide.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

opinions seem split between "new DRK is trash garbage, shat from a butt" and "new DRK is the best thing ever to happen in the history of video games," with very little in between

I never raided or anything but my only impression so far with DRK is confusion - what are they trying to do with it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

Did they really? What? :psyduck:

Its due to the changes to weakness.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minrad posted:

petition to rename all the samurai abilities so they include "means x" in the name. like "Translator's note: Hakaze 'means downward slash'" or whatever the gently caress it means

fixed.

Fister Roboto posted:

Even if they make it so that savage bosses hit extra hard and tanks need a lot of HP to survive them, you still have the problem of excess HP being a waste. Like, if you need 50,000 HP to survive a tank buster, and you get some jewelry that increases your HP to 51,000, what does that extra 1,000 do for you? Absolutely nothing.

It lets you not die to the next auto attack.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ok, but aren't the other classes also good and have cooler mechanics?

SCH lost mana neutral damage output, most AoE, virus and a bit of fairy potency. The only ability of note between 60 and 70 is a + critical chance to throw on bosses.

I mean, aetherpact could be amazing at 70 but SCH is kinda lack luster compared to AST now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or they could have gotten rid of Tri Bind. Did you know that amidst all the culling they left Tri Bind alone?

Yeah they decided to cull Sustain instead of Tri Bind :psyduck:

Tri bind is the SMN's only spammable AoE. :smithicide:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I haven't tried it yet it SB but I was disappointed about the shift away from placing tons of DOTs on everything. I don't care if it took up a lot of buttons, I still liked loading up all the enemies up with like 5 different sources of ticking damage and then tell myself yeah that's a lot of dots.

Also I'm worried that making Lucid Dreaming (refresh) a role action is going to create balance issues in the future, since SCH originally had a different MP flow with aetherflow and energy drain, and now they have to balance that against having the same refresh as WHM and AST

WHM and SCH both have a 60s cd that recovers 10% of MP. Hell, WHM's even comes with a free indomitability and significantly more AoE than SCHs can ever dream of.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the garleans weren't dumb you wouldn't have a chance of winning.

Thankfully they're dumb

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

A level 65 main story quest has you fetch piles of dung. I've never read a piece of text in this game and skipped every cutscene but I'm pretty sure at this point my character has killed at least one god if not more and he is straight up just collecting poo poo

Pick up the drat rocks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orcane posted:

Late, but on top of what Jinh said, my biggest issues so far are:
  • AoE nerf is way over the top for SMN - Bane, Shadowflare, Deathflare all got hit pretty hard, Miasma 2 is gone. I guess you can spam Tri-Bind.
  • The Bane nerf alone is just a numbers thing though, it doesn't affect gameplay directly so I can pretend everything is fine and spread my two DoTs.
  • Shadowflare, yeah it's an oGCD now, but it's also less powerful and you can't move it anymore, which is a major pain unless your tank never moves mobs out of the area.
  • You spend a lot of time just casting variants of Ruin, because you essentially lost two more DoTs with cast time to maintain (Ruin and Shadowflare) and can't use your Aetherflow skills in Dreadwyrm Trance.
  • "single nearest target" is probably the dumbest way to do the new group utility pet buff, so of course that's what they did
  • Sustain is gone, all you have to heal your pet with is Physick, which scales with mind and is awful for summoners - if you ever wanted to use tank pets to tank harder enemies like boss fates, now you don't
Maybe it all balances out in raw numbers with the new upgraded spells, but in general gameplay, summoner feels downgraded in almost every way to me except, yay, you get to summon Bahamut-egi. For some people that will be enough I guess.

Of course you don't get bahamut until 70 and you're going to spend a lot of time level synced to content that was designed assuming reasonable AoE damage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

You left out the gross mutually exclusive nature of Aetherflow and Aethertrail now. You can't use Aetherflow during Dreadwyrm Trance anymore, and if you use Aetherflow while you have any Aethertrail stacks you lose as many AF stacks as you have AT.

It feels pretty bad. I'd rather have the ability to drop AT stacks that we had before than this hamstrung system that feels like it only exists because they wanted to add a shiny UI element.

It's more than a simple UI element change though. For example aethertrails are permanent now though so you can start an encounter in a dungeon and go straight into DWT.

I think they wanted to simplify the best rotation and make balancing easier by not letting you use the ogcd skills during DWT.

Unfortunately this makes whiffing a bane devastating to your DPS - more so than any other job currently (I think?).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jinh posted:

Yup this is pretty much my feeling on it. Aoe got nerfed and that's OK, I was doing 6-9k on trash packs at the end of HW and I never saw a non-smn come even close to that in any of my runs.

Single target damage is about the same now, but we're even burstier with a long rear end cooldown because we have to wait forever to get to the bahamut part.

The real loss is complexity. And that's OK for a lot of jobs in SB. Hell, I never could understand DRK and pretended to know what I was doing all the way to 60, so in SB it looks a lot cleaner to me and I like that.

Summoner is a desert now between dreadwyrm stuff though, and that's bad. It's a ruin slot machine with reapplying dots every 30s

At least it's not SCH. Miasma, bio, shadowflare, broil, broil, broil, broil, broil, broil, miasma, broil...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vargatron posted:

Yes I understand that. The point I was trying to make was that I don't think the devs are consciously looking at tank DPS as part of the overall class "balance".

Their DPS targets for enrage times apparently take tank DPS into account but not healer DPS. Take from that what you will.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

Devotion is a tremendously stupid ability on a long cooldown.

Its like they were trying to insult SMNs this expansion, yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

By doing something else until it pops.

And then play something else after they get 90k'd and have a 10 minute wait to get back in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pvp is supposed to be good leveling now too, though I'm a little unclear if that's just with the roulette daily bonus, or if you can just grind it

There is no bonus for the roulette. Shatter seems to be a flat 1/8 of a level.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FutureCop posted:

The silent protagonist voice (aka '...') is prevalent throughout almost 90% of all dialogue choices from even way back in ARR, and it's the best if you like sticking with the stoic 'force of nature' character. Has anyone else done the same thing as me and pick the silent choice every time when it's possible? It's pretty fun, though sometimes the choice leads to something different than I was expecting: I would expect '...' to always imply stoic silence, but sometimes they twist it to imply sadness, mistrust, or confusion.

My favorite use of the '...' choice has to be in HW, when everyone is done giving their passionate speeches to the dragons to enlist their help. When the dragon turns to you, expecting another load of honeyed words, your silence is regarded as a welcome sign of strength and confidence. I'm paraphrasing, but it's something like: "I can see from your eyes that you know actions speak louder than words. You look ready to march forward without my help and take care of everything yourself, and I believe you could just do that if you felt like it.'

And speaking of stoic, I do love how in ARR they outright comment on how they're not sure why they bother even asking you to help sometimes, as you just nod to everything they say. Alphinaud wishes he could have a million of you to throw at every problem in existence.

There's a good gag involving that last spoiler in SB at least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best dialogue response is whenever they let you work in the Scions passphrase in completely inappropriate ways.

I hope they inexplicably remember that in the last couple of SB quests like they remembered the echo at level 66.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I meant the echo cutscenes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

they are not wrong

The question is why he didn't call out DRKs too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

How is that spoilers

I mean the mandatory fantasia was a bit much but...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pissdude posted:

Scholar still feels like poo poo compared to how they used to be but there are videos of people doing Susano EX with 1 healer (Scholar) with only spot healing from the PLD in between and they pull it off so, I guess they're OK? Still feels worse though, I can't even handle multipulls in Doma Castle and stuff

Lean heavily on a manually controlled Eos.

I get the impression that the other healers do not have to put in nearly as much effort for the same throughput and have better DPS (especially AoE). Is this correct?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hit 70 on RDM :toot: I am amused that I do the same silly spin when casting VerHoly that WHMs do when casting Holy. I guess its a mandatory part of Holy!

The RDM storyline was pretty awesome. X'Rhun and Arya are pretty cool, and it was really neat doing segments of both Great Gubal Library (Normal) and Weeping City during the quests and even fighting a version of Gubal NM's final boss Do any of the other job quests visit actual past dungeons like that?

Also, X'Rhun can do mechanics, he is better than your average pubbie.

SMN

"...something called an 'aetherochemical research facility"
*WoL shudders*
"You're familiar with this place?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Something I noticed during late MSQ: Raubahn referred to my character as "lieutenant" quite a bit. I assume that's Flames-only?

Your GC superiors will always use your rank. I mean, if the WoL was one of your junior officers wouldn't you want to remind them at every opportunity?