Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, and that's why they're not going to put AV in Eureka, cause its just embarrassing, and they probably don't want to draw the comparison between Eureka and one of the bosses that people were killing themselves irl trying to fight

Don't be ridiculous the AV attempt was very measured and reasonable, all told.

The boss that people were killing themselves irl trying to fight was an entirely different FFXI superboss.

Vitamean posted:

It's Castle Pandemonium in the center of the island, with a Warden in its deepest reaches.

E: I would respect them putting the Aern model in as the form of the final boss and calling it something else, which would be an appropriate reference while maybe not bringing back all the nightmares. They actually have the Aern skeleton in the game already - Kuribu, as mentioned above, uses it and a bunch of FFXI players recognized it's reraise animation when the dungeon was originally released.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

In hindsight, it was a pretty interesting concept for a megaboss. But there were absolutely no hints to guide players towards how to weaken the boss to make it killable.

If there's an important lesson to learn from the FFXI era it's this and thankfully they learned it.

Not just AV, but also the other superboss in the game, both had two critical problems - no responses to player action. They just did their poo poo, and if you did the right thing maybe their behavior would change but there was no obvious indication you were doing something right - or critically, doing something wrong.

You had no way to know if you had actually sealed one of AV's 2hr abilities, you could only continue to fight and pray it wouldn't use it again after the first time. You didn't realize you had done the right thing to stop auto-regen until suddenly their hp bars stopped going up. Similarly, if you were doing something wrong the game wouldn't even let you know it was the wrong idea - things would just carry on until you died, this being the critical origin behind the epic played-for-18-hours-and-everyone-got-sick-irl thing that was Pandemonium Warden's famous kill attempt.

Compare and contrast to literally every major fight in FFXIV - if there's a buff to remove from a boss, you can see the buff bar! If you've done a mechanic wrong you will at minimum get a vuln or damage down stack as the most obvious indicator possible that you didn't quite get the mechanic. Half the time you will take massive, lethal damage of a degree that shows obviously you've missed something important. They have hard enrage timers so you can't zombie your way through a fight when the fight is clearly lost.

So at least they've learned a lot since then. I mean I imagine those players would have much rather they learned it back then and got 30 hours of their life back, but you can't have everything.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Thundarr posted:

O11S may be barely on the long side of just right, but I feel it's pretty well paced and has a good variety of mechanics where none get used excessively. It's a fight where you're going up against a giant space robot that's throwing the kitchen sink at you and that's what it feels like.

Pantokrator 2 is probably my favourite moment of the entire raid tier; just utter madness as he unloads literally everything at you trying to blow you up.

fire, fire, fire...

There's a lot going on in the Panto phases but if you ever get free moments to actually look at Omega during it he's doing this janky march-in-place animation and his little face mask is freaking out and rotating 360 degrees in circles :3:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

This is like, 1.0 Black Shroud levels of bad. (exaggerating obviously, but...)

Pagos Players: "Hey, come on, I'm running through Pagos and this central area is bullshit! This is a glorified corridor with almost no width to it and you populated it with aggressive cobras that can one-shot me when I'm trying to move through it! Why? WHY?!??"

Pyros Designer: *Creates ice bridges two characters wide and populates them with aggressive cobras* "why not???"

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

It's literally just a test to see who's dumb as gently caress, and people keep falling for it.

I will do pyros but I won't grind the light necessary to optimize my substats through repeated randomized stat distributions, I say, my brain furiously rationalizing away irrational self-harming actions as is my birthright as a sentient being

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Well it was less "they're only respected because of their Echo" and more "it's functionally impossible for someone without the Echo to compare to their Echo-gifted peers who just happened to win the genetic lottery", which is both true and probably very frustrating for someone passionate about their chosen path.

The only good moment of the Eureka plot so far is when glasses potato gives the entire speech about this, pauses, then says something like "You're probably going to say something like 'The Echo isn't the blessing you think it is', aren't you?" and your two possible responses are:

"It does have some drawbacks, yes."
"No, it's pretty much just a blessing."

Points for honesty!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Daynab posted:

Serious question, how does one even begin to wrap their heads around learning Hello World in o12s? I've been linked the literally 50 page powerpoint presentation on the strat but it's breaking my brain trying to memorize this. I've never come across a mechanic I couldn't learn before but this is something else.

The short term version is if you can't or just don't want to wrap your head around the mechanic in it's entirety you can do it by rote memorization of your own personal role. Tanks always have two sets of actions. Healers also only have two. DPS get owned with four possibilities but even that can be picked up in time.

It can be difficult to approach hello world just by looking at the powerpoint because that is just one way to approach what HW is asking you to do. My group never even went with that, using an earlier strategy from a text guide that we modified to work better for us.

But hey if you want the long version god knows I can write words and I don't mind dropping an essay on a mechanic I actually really like, sooooo...

Learning it from first principles requires understanding that there is no hard and fast set of actions that they expect you to perform. They give you some debuffs and some logic behind them, a set amount of time, and sit back to see if you make it through to the other side.

1. Your original set of debuffs is: a wide circle AoE which I will call "defamation" as it is very similar to an attack of that name from A12S, a small AoE stack-damage circle, and a timed blue debuff that murders everyone if it isn't removed by being hit by one of the AoEs before it expires.

2. Every AoE debuff will spread to anyone who is hit by it, regardless of if someone needs to get hit by it or not. So if you are tagged by defamation , you now have a brand new defamation debuff of your own that's going to go off in a few seconds. Every AoE debuff also gives you protection from getting it more then once; so if you have the defamation debuff, and it goes off, even if you get hit by another defamation debuff a few seconds later you don't magically get it again.

3. Halfway through the phase Omega shakes things up with Critical Error. This does two things: if you have the defamation protection, that protection is removed (meaning if you're clipped you can end up with defamation a second time). If you do not have the protection (meaning you have not yet detonated a defamation yourself in the HW phase) then you are instantly afflicted with it, and have to move somewhere to let it detonate safely.

So that's how HW1 stands and you have a few goals. You can't just let the initial defamation explode and not spread it because when Critical Error happens suddenly everyone will have defamation debuffs and there isn't enough room in the arena to handle more than four going off simultaneously. You need to spread the defamation in a controlled fashion so that 4-5 people in the party handle it before Critical Error, and the rest of them handle it afterwards. How this is done is up to you. The two standard strategies are 1-3-4 (initial def passes it to three people, who detonate safely; four people get it after CE, and there's just enough space to fit them in) or 1-2-2-3 (initial def passes to two people, who pass to two other people, then CE happens, and the remaining three detonate. A more hectic initial phase in exchange for easier positioning after CE).

Meanwhile, you have two stack-damage debuffs that will need to be soaked. The stack also spreads, so you don't want to split it between three+ people if you can help it (because it will start on one person, spread to the other two, then the other two go off simultaneously and you all die). You get stack protection after it goes off, just like defamation, so it's safest to just share it between two people, those people taking the damage twice. A tank can soak it by themselves. This requires healer attention.

That's the core of the phase. HW2 will still follow the same pattern, because all those debuffs are still there, but it adds two additional mechanics.

4. Now a healer will starts with what's colloquially called "rot". This cannot be removed early - it counts down, and when it expires, it does a small AoE (a little smaller than the stack AoE) and anyone within that AoE is murdered. The actual rot player takes zero damage - they can only kill others with this. Standing next to a player while you have the rot debuff will spread it to the other player, who will now have their own rot at a fresh duration.

5. Three towers appear during the Critical Error cast. A few seconds after the cast, if there isn't a player standing in the tower, the party is killed. If you DO stand in the towers you are saved from a wipe, but only for a few moments - the tower players get a special pink debuff that, if it expires, kills everyone. This is like the blue debuff from the start of HW with one very important exception: the only way to defuse it is for the player with it to have rot expire. So whoever is standing in a tower has to have rot applied, then get the pink debuff from defusing the tower, then have the rot go off. The tower spawns, and tower activations, happen well after the original rot would have expired, which means you not only have to pass rot to keep it active, but you have to intentionally have three people with active rot in order to safely defuse the towers.

That seems like a lot, and it is, but it just requires planning, and forethought. A healer always starts with rot. They'll have to pass it to someone in order to keep a rot around for towers. Who gets it? Does more than one person get it? Someone needs to have rot to pass to people responsible for towers. Who should those people be? What will they do after the rot expires? It's less free-form then you may think, because all of the different debuffs in play restrict who can be somewhere at any given point.

If you really want to understand HW and your own role in it you need to just internalize how the debuffs work. Then look at the powerpoint, or a text guide, and don't just see a role icon moving from place to place to place - try and understand why they're going there, and doing what they're doing, based on what the debuffs require of them.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

MechaX posted:

You know, I was seriously considering raiding again (lapsed after Gordias and never returned),

But then I read last page’s dissertation on the Hello World mechanic

Nah, I think that is far above anything I am capable of, so I guess I’m on baby raids forever

Remember it's a dissertation because I'm taking a high-altitude approach to explaining the whole thing, which is helpful but can be overwhelming. When you're actually on the ground in the middle of it, 3/4 of what I wrote doesn't even apply to you. As a tank, I don't need to know everything a healer or dps has to do in HW; all I have to do is look at my debuff bar to see which pattern I got and then take appropriate actions when necessary. It's easy, and recommended, to use the very visible attack animations going out in the phase as triggers for when you need to move as well.

Every fight in this tier is super good and fun to progress through. If you were going to dip your toes into Savage raiding again, this is the tier for it, by far.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Samael posted:

Pyros Axe done, 50/50 logos actions done, Pagos Armour soon to be done.

What am I doing with my life?

How much did you spend on logograms for that? I have never seen an offensive logogram anywhere and assuming perfect rng you'd need, like, 8, and that's not counting anything else.

On a related note: the current situation in Pyros where bunny fates now give rewards, and bunny chests now all contain desired logos even with bronze, and so everyone wants to run buns nonstop, and yet every bun fate only loads 16 reward bunnies for chests no matter how many people participated so you almost never get one, is pretty much exactly the kind of backwards monkey's paw design decision I have come to know and love from Eureka.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine it'll be like SB where the top-level gear lasts until about the second dungeon and after that you need new stuff, maybe a bit earlier if you're a tank.

For both SB and HW the rule of thumb is that the second dungeon will have gear equal to the previous expansion's best gear, and the third dungeon exceeds it (by 1 item level, as far as the weapon is concerned). So if you get yourself BiS by the end of SB, you are going to be effectively geared until level 75 in whatever the next expansion is.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Turns out I can forgive Eureka a hell of a lot if it can provide me with a badass tanking outfit.

Hell of a lot.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

So, where is it?

Discover all 50 logos actions in Eureka and you unlock all the armor sets for direct purchase. i380, divided by role, 5 materia slots, 40 pyros crystals per piece and 200 for a full set.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Injuryprone posted:

Just popping in to say that BLU AF in the video is garbage and that XI's is better in every way.

Just swinging by to comment that I played blu in XI for half a decade and you’re completely wrong, Phantom Thief Blue Mage is now the the only interpretation we need.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

:yeah:

Plus Ghimlyt Dark sounds ominous as heck.

This dungeon reveal was really well received by the convention crowd during the live letter with audible gasps when they showed the preview art.

Between the dungeon and the trailer I’d put the rough plan for the lead into ShB to be something like the following:

Garlemald starts a large incursion in response to the losses of SB; they’re met by the six nations and the dungeon is the battlefield we fight in; the boss of the dungeon is Zenos-Elidibus; we are now enough of a Badass of Light that we actually straight up kill Elidibus for (insert reason that’s possible here); the death of an Ascian plus a victory against the Ascian-created empire unbalances creation enough to kick off the Flood of Light. Apocalypse ensues, expansion starts.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Marathanes posted:

Edit: The Ascian theme used to be a fav of mine as well, but its lost some of its appeal as it is used as NM music in Eureka.

Thyrork posted:

Does Thunderer also play on the first part of the final boss in Aetherochemical Research Facility?

Thunderer is less an Ascian theme then it is a standard "This is a serious boss fight" theme. It plays for Lahabrea, and, uh, whatever the Chrysalis dude was called, but it also plays for Twintania, Behemoth, and as mentioned all the major Eureka voidsent. Given it's title, it was probably originally meant for Behemoth and expanded out from there.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Boogalo posted:

So as someone who has completely ignored eureka and hasn't even done the quest to unlock it yet (i know where it is) what would I have to do to start working on the ozma mount? Do I have to go through the chain of all of the open zones, or can I start on hydratos?

You have to go through the chain of all the open zones. In each zone you need to do the story, which requires levelling to the maximum level of that zone. If you are only interested in the mount, then you can completely skip the relic grind (which is separate and distinct) but hitting max level will still be a hefty time investment. Not horrible, but in no way trivial.

Start in Anemos, you can probably get the first couple levels soloing mobs (this will be dull) but your primary objective is to find the NMs that pop as fate fights in the zone, and join the train of players running between each one. Killing NMs is how you will level your character at a rate approaching acceptable.

In addition to NM farming you have a challenge log which will give you 2 full levels and change worth of exp rewards for killing enemies of certain types and elements. I recommend sitting on this until later in the week so some of the easier levels are out of the way, for better results. Do the logs every week. Groups tend to form in Anemos for it.

I highly recommend having a TV show or a nintendo DS or a switch or something. You will be playing Eureka by not playing as much as possible.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Zokari posted:

I'm 2 scales from finishing my Eureka weapon and it won't have been worth it.

I am incredibly disappointed with the appearance of my final Eureka axe but after some thought I realize I shouldn't have expected anything different for the ultimate result of this entire accursed venture

I am, however, happy with my Ozma mount and Kirin's Osode so Eureka ends for me as it began - desperately trying to rip some small comforting victories from the jaws of a terrible system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Givin posted:

EDIT: So glad I wasn't playing during this whole Eurika poo poo or whatever it is. What a trashfire system.
https://clips.twitch.tv/SucculentFineCoffeePanicVis

The evolution of a Bad System:

Naoki Yoshida: We're going to make a new thing, a new 56 man raid, with 56 man fights, but hard fights, that require coordination which will be difficult for that many players, and have severe penalties for loss. We're going to make it hard with priceless rewards for effort, people may have to die 3-4 times to kill Ozma but that mount will feel all the better for the effort spent!

Players Optimize Better Than Designers: Ok, so, this isn't braindead, but it's also nothing that can't be 100% resolved by having a good caller in voice chat and having everyone else shut the gently caress up and move exactly the way they say when they say it. Hey, we have a 100% clear rate holy poo poo we all got ozmas now, boys! Thank god we don't need to deal with repeated failures and XP loss because we'd quite obviously do anything, anything, to avoid wasting hours catching back up. Get that discord set up everyone needs their fragments.

Random FFXIV Player not in the Discord: What the gently caress why are there no BA groups? Who are these people shouting A3 and A6 and whatever in my instance? Why can't I go into BA?? gently caress these people!

Intelligent Sniper: Heh, there's nothing they can do to stop me once I'm in the instance. That red portal is mine, fuckers, run faster next time, cry some more

Unintelligent Sniper: HEY A PORTAL *Drops a meteor directly on C team in Proto-Ozma* IM THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT