Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I suppose WHM getting more holy-ish makes sense and is kinda cool thematically. Feel a little bad for aero and stone, but I guess they'll live on in RDM.

It "must" be so they can add Geomancer later after they finally kill off classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

What's up with RDM having two separate spells called "Veraero" and two separate spells called "Verthunder"? Is that a pending name change or something?

I'd assume/hope so.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Leal posted:

I want to say there is something that changes veraero/thunder into their AOE counterparts, but I'm not seeing anything in the tooltips about it.

I don't think this is the case because in YoshiP's preview they were separate buttons.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Also they completely removed Quickened Aetherflow, which was the best change SCH got in SB. Going back to 1m long Aetherflows is going to feel awful.

Without Energy Drain though will you really be spending Aetherflow that quick?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fair enough, my scholar play has always been for casual content only and I never really did much with it. But it makes sense when you put it like that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel like BLM could in theory hold onto Polygot charges for movement phases since Xenoglossy is instant cast. You're not as pressured to spend them since you can save them up for a while.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SE also never addresses jobs being unable to compete in raids, after all warrior is inferior to paladin in every way and has no mitigation.

Minrad posted:

scholar's healing will be fine, it'll just need to do (slightly) more casts than before. the big thing is almost everything unique to it was gutted, it has mechanical problems introduced that are exactly the same as ones introduced at Stormblood launch, and the dps rotation (the thing you do 70% of the time on a healer) is extremely gutted with no alternative unless you like the new dumbed down ast card draws.

Yeah I get this, looking at how many abilities it lost if I was a scholar main I could totally see being pissed about all that being gutted.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Clarste posted:

I am extremely confused by Firebird Trance. Is it an entirely separate new ability you learn at 72, or does it replace Dreadwyrm Trance after you summon Demi-Bahamut? IE: Does it share a cooldown with DWT? The tooltips don't clarify this at all.

It feels like FBT is gonna be in a kinda weird place until 80 because it (by all accounts) will replace DWT post-Bahamut but I don't think you can Deathflare out of it. Not sure how to feel about Phoenix being essentially a Bahamut reskin with a regen aura--couldn't they have buffed Phoenix's potencies or something? I get it's an overall damage increase since you'll in effect be able to Bahamut twice in a row but it's kinda uninspired to have Demi-Phoenix with the same actions as Demi-Bahamut. It's also a bit weird because Firebird Trance doesn't explicitly say it can't be put on a hotbar/replaces Dreadwyrm Trance, but it does seem to based on videos.

Now, here's my problem: Firebird Trance replaces Ruin III with Fountain of Fire and Outburst with Brand of Purgatory. Problem is, unless I'm missing something, Fountain of Fire is actually a potency decrease from Ruin III on a target that has both dots + Ruination. Brand of Purgatory and Fountain of Fire have less potency than Ruin IV on single target (but a big potency increase in AoE) with two dots + Ruination. I feel like Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory need some more potency from the numbers we're seeing right now (which is of course possible, just commenting on the info we have now).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Greader posted:

Edit: In hindsight I probably could've written that to be a bit more obvious that I wasn't really serious, but I do have an actual question that came to my mind: How important is food actually? Since they have been handing out a bunch during the questlines I actually started using them and it seems like the stat boost on the higher ilvl ones are pretty decent, and the ones giving crafter points have been amazing while leveling my main one up to 70. Guess I am mostly wondering what people who have actual experience with Savage content and such think of them since to me it looks like they could be pretty nice, but dunno if those stat numbers actually make a difference.

My group's not exactly hardcore, we don't do ultimates but we have cleared savage content up to this point, and it's generally assumed that all of our raiders are using food. Maybe not top-tier food, but at least something decent enough. If you can't afford it, someone will give you something at least (in our group it's often me, I'm not exactly a top-tier omnicrafter but I do keep all my dohs/dols at cap, and I try to make a good amount of cheap food to hand out to people who need it). At the bare minimum the Vitality boost from food makes it easier to survive aoe damage mechanics.

As far as crafting goes, food is extremely important/helpful. You can get CP worth a whole piece of gear using food. Gathering seems a bit more situational but it's still helpful.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

lol can you imagine NPC trusts trying to navigate the first room of AV?

Can't you run that dungeon with squadron members already?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Late to the party, but I just finished 4.x MSQ. Is it just me or is everything about it pretty meh? With what I know of ShB, it feels like a D&D campaign where the DM doesn't know where to take the story so they shove you into a side adventure to avoid having to deal the original one.

I like 4.x well enough but I found the ending to be weaker than previous pre-expansion patches. I fully expected the showdown with fake Zenos to end conclusively based on the Shadowbringers trailer, so just having it be essentially a draw was a let down. It seems as though we're going to need to resolve and/or establish some things in Shadowbringers before we actually go to the first, and maybe they could've done more of that in 4.5x, which seemed to end rather abruptly.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Givin posted:

People are actually going to do this....

Honestly this is exactly the kind of wacky stuff that (somewhat) validates Blue Mage's existence

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Feels like we're half an expansion away from people baying for FFXIV Classic and it's the funniest poo poo to me.

Will that be 1.0 or 2.0?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Krabboss posted:

My only experience with 1.0 was about half an hour during closed beta when the servers were making GBS threads the bed and the UI was awful besides. I'd really like to try 1.0.

It's kinda interesting for maybe an hour or two but XIV 1.0's beta convinced me not to purchase the game, which was at the time a first for me. And that's ignoring the incredibly laggy serverside UI, performance issues, and server issues. Just judging it as the content-less void that constituted the actual gameplay.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zoig posted:

I did hear that sch actually gets to keep ruin 2, but I'm not actually sure if this is true, can anyone verify? Not sure I believe it because it seems like another thing that would have got the axe, with the approach they are taking.

It even got a potency increase from what I can tell.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Clarste posted:

Maybe this is goong to make me sound like a hypocrite, but I actually strongly dislike Ruin 2 as a design. It's basically a non-rotational spell that exists purely to give you something to do while moving. Which means you both never want to cast it, but also need to have it within easy reach to use at a moment's notice, which seems almost like a contradiction to me. It takes up both keyboard and brain real estate in a way that doesn't make the class at all more fun (to me) so frankly I'd have been fine if they cut it. I can always just refresh Bio while moving or whatever.

Scathe has a similar role for BLM.

It's not just for moving, it's also for weaving non-GCD abilities. Both SMN and SCH have quite a few of those (well, SCH will have less now) and thus it's a valuable spell. I would definitely not want to see it gone on SMN at least.

I don't find the Scathe comparison apt because BLM is not very heavy on non-GCD abilities that are vital to the class in the way a SMN leans on Fester, Enkindle Bahamut, and the like.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pigbottom posted:

This trust system is something that bugs me a little. I've seen yoship often try to explain how the dev team is stretched thin and how hard it is to balance their need for new content and to add new features and their ability to produce them. But then they go and waste a load of time and resources in something that, although cool, seems way more like a gimmick that seems totally at odds with the whole point of an mmo game.

The Trust system is awesome and I will use it at often least enough to see every bit of dialogue/banter from the characters. But I doubt we'll be able to use them for duty roulettes for tomes so it's not like groups won't still be running. I think it's a dumb take to suggest it's a "waste".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

this is almost certainly extremely difficult to do at this point in the development and would be a lot of time and money for basically nothing

We're talking about a game that has to keep creating workarounds to create more inventory space "new gear slot" is not going to be just adding a couple of lines of code and calling it a day

As far as inventory space goes, SE should really just give us 2-3 more retainers for free instead of making us pay for it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Psychepath posted:

As someone whose highest job is at 40 and a pretty slow leveler, is there any particular reason to buy Stormblood until I'm done with Heavensward's story, and then subsequently the new expansion until I'm done with SB, other than maybe using the new jobs to do the leveling content?

Probably best to just buy Shadowbringers, it gives you all the Stormblood stuff (though not for a few weeks).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Amnesia is a pretty lazy plot device, but I won't complain too much because the resulting trial was an impressive spectacle of a fight. Better than the Four Lords anyway, though they were fine.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

. I dunno, I felt like her version of Doma was more the true one and it's past was white washed because hey you're hanging out with the nobility now. Essentially not much of Doman society was reckoned with.

The Doman refugees are introduced in like patch 2.1. There are a lot of quests dealing with them, including some side quests, they're just rather spread out. The Doman reconstruction quests are also there.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I mean like ten minutes after you find this out he gets stabbed to death as part of yotsuyu's murder spree

somepartsareme posted:

i forgot about that lol. I dunno it's an MMO and you can only devote so much time to fantasy politics but Hien is annoying to me as being kind of emblematic of the Stormblood plot's really liberal take on revolution. not as bad as lyse though

No I don't think so, it's her parents that get stabbed. IIRC the guard admits that working with the liberation front was meant to be his atonement, but really he's just a coward who wanted to avoid her. I don't think you see that guard again, though I'm not sure what exact resolution you want there, as he's basically admitted to his crimes, worked with the resistance movement, and at that point trying to force him to face her is pointless because she's Tsuyu.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gorelab posted:

I feel like taking Fantasy Hitler at his word completely might not be the best idea.

Well that's the point of a trailer isn't it, to present a bombshell in a misleading way? There's always more to what's going on than what is revealed in a trailer.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ither posted:

In the trailer, 100 years is mentioned. I wonder if time shenanigans resulted in the Scions fighting for 100 years. That would explain somethings.

It's possible, but it could also be referring to the Warriors of Darkness. They almost certainly have a big role in all this.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm wondering where's the hype for the second MSQ "primal" fight of the expansion. They were released in pairs previously, with Ravana/Bismarck and Lakshmi/Susano, but so far I only have seen Titania advertised as a "primal" fight for this expansion (excluding the end bosses which were also primals, but you get my meaning). Wonder if there's just not going to be a second, or if it's a spoiler?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I didn't recognize that, but I stand corrected. Must've just flown over my head somehow, since now I seem to recall seeing something like that in slides.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 11, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

queeb posted:

so whats everyone leveling first to 80? i think im gonna do SMN, get that MSQ dps exp, plus get a free healer with it at 80 sinc ei bet those queues are gonna be instant for a long rear end time.

if there's a raubahn ex then ill do gunbreaker while that gets sorted.

Well SMN will most likely end up my main but I think I'll do the MSQ as dancer or red mage because holding a book in battle cutscenes looks silly.

I'm not overly worried about queue times, I'll just do fates or something while I wait assuming I can't use Trusts (I will use Trusts whenever possible for dialogue).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Minrad posted:

and uh, I hope yall got alternative plans to the storyline when Raubahn (Ultimate) is inevitably unleashed. For me, it's omnicrafting.

I mean in Stormblood I just took that time to get RDM levels 50-60, could do the same with Dancer and/or Gunbreaker here.

Personally I'm hoping--and this may be a vain hope--that SE does something with the Crystal Mean or whatever it's called that makes leveling DoH/DoLs a bit more interesting/involved than just turning in a bunch of leves and collectables. We have precious little info on crafting and gathering; currently it's a bunch of systems layered on top of each other that strike me as clunky compared to how much streamlining combat classes have undergone over the past two expansions.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Also accessing retainers from the first will be annoying since retainer bells apparently don't work across dimensions.

We need some DoH quests to craft inter-dimensional retainer bells.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Minrad posted:

Praetorium with four sprouts that were all wowfugees. drat. It feels pretty rare that there's a new player in a MSQ roulette, let alone multiple. This game's really popping off lately in my anecdotal experience.

Also anecdotal for the past month or two I've been seeing a lot of YouTube videos concerning WoW refugees coming to FFXIV (either testimonies or tips) in my recommendations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Personally I like FFXIV's battle system a lot, when I tried to go back and play some WoW it just felt like button mashing for the sake of it. Maybe that's just due to being that many years older than I was when I last seriously raided in WoW (which was vanilla). The slower, steady pace of XIV suits me just fine.

But the one thing that annoys me in other MMOs and MMO-likes is the idea of skipping content. Like, I don't play a game so I can go into a dungeon and sneak past mobs, exploit geometry and/or pathfinding so I can not use my abilities. Maybe it's a weird thing to get hung up on but it really bothers me, and I vastly prefer FFXIV's dungeon content approach where you do fight every group of mobs, maybe you pull 2-3 packs together and AoE them but that still leaves plenty of room to use your abilities correctly to make it go faster. I feel really awesome when the tank pulls together a big pack and I bust out bane/demi-Bahamut to make it evaporate. The idea that it could be more efficient to just skip that altogether annoys me to no end, at least partly because if you can skip content then if you get matched into that content with other players you're going to be expected to skip it. It's not really an option at that point, and if content exists to be skipped then why is it there? Anyhow that's my rant.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Firebert posted:

I hated the combat system when I first played like 5 years ago. It absolutely does not put it's best foot forward and when you get synced down it is absolutely the worst. I understand they wanted to keep it simple for people who had never played an MMO, but at some point they need to go back and sprinkle in some ogcd skills and traits pre-30 because it's dire.

To some degree this may be happening, I noticed summoner now gets fester at level 18 (in Shadowbringers), which is a big jump from where it was at 35. Given it's a rather crucial skill for SMN and it is ogcd it seems to me to be a big step forward (it's also usable more often now due to aetherflow changes). I can't speak for all classes because I haven't exhaustively compared every skill list, but as a mostly-SMN-main since 2.0 that strikes me as a big improvement.

Edit: Though now that I think about it this is probably not that helpful to brand new players since as a SMN-only skill it can't actually be used before you get your job stone, which is amusing in a bad way. Like, as an Arcanist you can use Energy Drain and get Aetherflow stacks but you can't spend them on anything until you get a job stone.

Edit2: Nope, above information was true in the media build but as of the E3 Titania build Fester is an Arcanist skill so it's good again.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 13, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sacro posted:

The main difference is WoW updates roughly seven trillion times more frequently and trusts the client more, so combat feels more responsive and for a topical example dodging AoE a second in advance means you've actually dodged it which is not always the case in 14. To actually answer your question though, WoW has a lot more complex class mechanics revolving around a lot of random procs or other things that change what you should be pressing on the fly. Encounter design also requires reactive play to things that happen. The idea of mapping out what buttons you'll press for optimal dps throughout an entire savage fight is mind boggling to someone used to WoW.

I'm trying not to add too much to this WoWtalk but this doesn't really ring true for me, I did recently try WoW for about a month and while I only played hunter and druid neither seemed to have "a lot more complex class mechanics" than anything in FFXIV. I can't speak to encounter design too much, but the class design wasn't anything radically different. I mean the red mage is all about reacting to procs/a not-strict rotation depending on the status of your black/white gauge and it's considered one of the simpler FFXIV classes. Even as summoner with a stricter rotation based around timers you're going to want to drop Ruin IIIs for Ruin IVs reactively when they proc so you don't "waste" procs (at least currently, the stacking of Further Ruin procs in Shadowbringers may change this), as Ruin IV is significantly higher in potency.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm kinda curious how parts of the Ivalice raid stories play out if you are playing a viera; they seem to assume you know nothing about viera culture.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Solovey posted:

going through the 2.x msq as an au ra is already a treat, given how yugiri says to your character's face that she's wearing a hood and veil to hide her features because otherwise her kind is just too frightening and unsightly for eorzeans to handle :nallears:

There better be unique dialogue for lalafells on the first or I riot.

keirharder posted:

Pretty hyped for pvp crafting and gathering with the ishgard restoration. Hopefully they show some details in the liveletter as I’m interested to see how they’re going to do rankings for that content. Having server based progression is a really cool idea too, we need more content like that especially with world visit.

Personally I'm hoping for more tiered rewards rather than going by strict player-versus-player ranking. It's not the system I would want I don't think as someone who likes DoH/DoL but prefers to keep it pretty casual, but we'll see how it goes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Funny you should mention that, I'm trying to figure out post-70 SMN now. I don't get the point of Firebird Trance before level 80, as it's essentially a Dreadwyrm Trance that doesn't let you use Deathflare and doesn't give Dreadwyrm Aether. It gives you Fountain of Fire, which was in the media build possibly a potency loss over Ruin III (depending on whether or not Ruination affects it) or at best equal to it, and Brand of Purgatory, which is a relatively small potency gain in single target (but admittedly quite good for multitarget). Those very small benefits are hard to justify essentially not getting Dreadwyrm Aether, it feels a bit like running in place.

Now it's possible that Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory get big potency buffs in the meanwhile (or Ruin III/IV get nerfed), but that's based on what we saw in the media build tooltips.

Edit: If it doesn't give Dreadwyrm Aether and doesn't allow the use of Deathflare, I think it's going to be tough to make Firebird Trance feel good from levels 72-79. But it also can't do those things because then it's way too good at level 80.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 14, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kurieg posted:

When you get Firebird Trance you also get a trait that makes Dreadwrym trance give 2 Aether when it finishes. So you're still getting 2 trances per Bahamut, it just goes "Trance bahamut trance" rather than "Trance trance bahamut" And Firebird should be a DPS upgrade over Dreadwyrm.
And it has it's own version of Deathflare. nevermind, I misunderstood this. but yeah it should be a dps upgrade. it just doesnt have deathflare at the end.

Tell me if I'm mathing wrong, but assuming that Ruination does not affect Fountain of Fire (there's no indication that it does other than it feels like it should because it replaces Ruin III while under Firebird Trance), then for every two GCDs you get either two Ruin IIIs (under DWT, 270 + 270 = 540) or a Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory (under FBT, 250 + 300 = 550). This looks good for Firebird Trance, but it needs 40 GCDs to catch up to the fact that Dreadwyrm Trance offers an oGCD 400 potency AoE nuke. Losing that 400 potency oGCD really hurts.

This is more "what if" speculation at this point than anything else because all of those potencies are up in the air, but going by the media numbers I'm not seeing many positives to Firebird Trance until it actually summons Demi-Phoenix.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I plan on coming back for shadowbringers, is there anything I should make sure to do before it hits?

Part of what caused me to quit was finally finishing the main story and realizing that i would have to do a ton of crafting grinding to ever make any money, have they don't anything to help with that?

What do you need money for is the real question? Unless you're planning on buying a house (I think availability is a larger concern than price atm?) I don't see a pressing need to earn lots of gil; I craft but I've never tried to earn gil past 20 million or so because I don't really want anything that I can purchase with gil.

But if you do need gil and don't have crafting classes leveled, maps and retainer ventures are available to combat and/or gathering classes and provide steady income.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Allarion posted:

No they still will have regular job quests from 70 to 80.

My understanding was they got 60-70 quests but then folded into the role quests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

What exactly makes them miserable? If it's other players then GC squadrons can get you through those dungeons pretty painlessly. At least, that's how I got through them on my DRK and it didn't seem rough.