Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

macfam posted:

Is it correct that Samurai has only the one positional move? I recall people saying otherwise.

The only way to generate kenki between 52 and 62 is hitting from the side with the two sen-granting single target actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone tell me how the deal with the floor 50 boss in The Palace of the Dead? I've attempted it 3 times now and I still don't know anything about the mechanics. I know during one you run in close, but after that every other arena sized area of effect she does hits me. The fear she has I have no idea how to dodge it and it subsequently causes me or my party to get hit by In Health then we just all die.

Also can anyone explain what level your equipment is? Is the the overall gear score or is it the "Gear Strength" under your name in the save slot? What level is good for what floors? I'd look at the wiki but it offers nothing useful. I don't even know how this is remotely possible with a matched team filled with nothing but DPS. She just does no damage and if you didn't get any Steel buffs you're hosed. Might be easier to just run 1-40 forever.

If you see an eyeball, turn around.

Look at your feet while you fight. Stop casting and move out of templates. Use self-healing if you get hit.

None of your outside-PotD gear matters; all that matters is how high the +value is on your weapon and armor. Aetherpool wep determines your damage/healing/enmity generated, armor determines the strength of your gear and how survivable you are.

You keep the pluses you get out of blue chests even if you wipe, so if you can't move when your feet are in attacks and turn around on the eyeball then eventually you'll do enough damage and be resilient enough that it doesn't matter.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

queeb posted:

All tanks should do as much damage as DPS because it's fun and more people would play em. gently caress nerfing tanks. Nobody does anything if there's no tanks so make them badass as hell

Yeah, people calling for PLD nerfs after they were in the gutter all last expansion are dicks. I hope DRKs and WARs are as strong as paladins after the next patch, and further I hope they leave paladin exactly the way it is because holy poo poo this job is fun now.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

LordHippoman posted:

So, for buying Stormblood, if I have the Steam version of the base game(but don't use Steam to launch it, just go through the desktop launcher), I've still got to match that with the Steam version of the DLC, right?

Yep, if you're on steam then that's where you have to buy everything from now on.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Ramadu posted:

is there a dps meter anywhere so i can actually find out how to actually dps in the game?

It's called Advanced Combat Tracker, but it's not going to teach you how to do poo poo other than needlessly get mad at pubs. Learn how to play your job first, then start looking at your parses.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I really like the new PvP design and think it's hilarious that there's anybody willing to die on a hill for the old one, but making all combos, everywhere, one-button seems like a slippery slope to a dumbed-down game.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I realize I'm on the edge of Balmung territory with this question, but why are none of the characters have have moms and dads ever the same race as the kids. Raubahn has a potato son and Minfilia has a cat mom, but the whys of this are never ever discussed. Are all Eorzean babies adopted? Are Pipin and Minfilia actually terrifying mutant hybrids?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Tanking is Good, you feel Needed and Powerful and it is very Satisfying. Also tank jobs are very easy to actually play.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'm lv70 and I've never done a guildhest ever.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mordiceius posted:

I have warrior at 52, gladiator at 22, and I've never even unlocked dark knight.

Between Dark Knight and Warrior, which tank should I level?

Paladin

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I want more machinist abilities like flamethrower, where you just strap a big loving tank of whatever onto your gun and just bwaaaam acid or poison or lightning or dragon lasers or non-bullet projectiles because gently caress you, I'm literally Edgar from FFVI. Give me bio blaster and autocrossbow, chainsaw, power drill (!!!!), hell, give me the debilitator and give vuln up or magic def down to raid bosses, bam, cool flavorful raid utility for MCH.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The only thing that the expansions give you before lv50 is a playable race.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Paladin, Paladin, Paladin and Paladin, in that order

but not by that much!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Leofish posted:

After playing around with Samurai all weekend, I kind of wish Paladins got cool scabbards for their swords too. Now, I want all the katanas. I want all the ones with names, not just <material> katana or whatever. I got Gunromaru from Sohm Al yesterday. I'm hoping to get the one from the Aery soon.

You're starting down a path that leads to literally becoming Zenos yae Galvus

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
When I'm RDMing with my FC's healer I just have her tell me when she's falling behind (very rarely). I never heal as RDM unless it's topping myself off or I'm asked to, and occasionally after a verraise.

There's also little reason to not be healing during transition phases where there's damage going out, but nothing to attack.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

a kitten posted:

I'm just glad these kids get to spend some time at the beach.

Are these the cattes from the faire promo art?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

cheetah7071 posted:

Bardarm hard will have Sadu, Magnai, and Cirina as the three bosses

This would rule. Cirina's gotta be the final boss.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
MCH parses at or above BRD in my experience while bringing only a little bit less utility. A lot of MCH mains say it isn't fun, but I've had some really good machinists in groups

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'd second the suggestion that among the DPS and at low levels, it mostly comes down to the aesthetics, so if any of them really jump out at you go with that.

PUG - punchmans (becomes a Monk at 30)
LNC - pokemans (becomes Dragoon)
ROG (not technically available til you have 1 class at 10, but that goes pretty fast) - stabmans (becomes Ninja)
ARC - shootmans (becomes Bard)
THM - magicmans (becomes Black Mage)
ACN - petmans (is unique because it becomes both Summoner [DPS] and Scholar [Healer])

Having done at least the first 15 levels of each in the past month or two, my thoughts:

Archer (ARC) absolutely feels the best at low levels - you have plenty of things to do but very little you can screw up, and you get your AoE (area of effect, i.e., group damage) super-early. Pugilist (PUG) was my first-pick because I love Monks wherever they appear, but the martial-arts/stances thing doesn't really feel get interesting until at least level 30 or so, and your ability to AoE is anemic for a long time. Rogue didn't feel right to me until it become Ninja @ 30. Lancer (LNC) is dirt simple. Thaumaturge (THM) feels incomplete until some of it's post-30 spells & abilities, but the central gimmick of yo-yoing your mana is fun and holy poo poo the spell effects are maybe the most satisfying in any MMO I've played. Arcanist (ACN) gets a cute little summonable dog-fox-spirit buddy - I can't decide if it would be an easy pick for a first-timer or if it would just add an extra layer of poo poo to worry about, but it does make playing solo much less painful.

Hope that helps. :shobon:

Also, seconding this - "it looks cool+fun" trumps everything else. And god knows we could use more Tanks & Healers (who actually read their ability functions >_< ).

pugilist is PGL

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Machinist is actually performing really well right now, but a lot of people say it's janky-feeling to level and only slightly less janky-feeling at cap.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Rastan Beeza posted:

Huh, why did all the dungeons and trials suddenly go from needing 4 chars for a team to 8 all of a sudden when I finished 2.0 ARR MSQ? I know I started doing some 8 teams with an instance battle and the last two 2.0 MSQ dungeons, but I thought that was an occasional thing.

What is up with that? Is it like that for all dungeons now, or because I'm picking up all these Hard mode versions?

anything labeled "dungeon" is 4-man by definition. There are a handful of 4-man trials in ARR but after lv50 everything labeled "trial" is 8man regardless of difficulty.

Praetorium and Castrum Meridianum are two bizarre exceptions to this rule, and there's nothing else like them in the whole game. Everybody knows they were a mistake.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
it's La Chancla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMij9AKLvog&t=8s

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

creatine posted:

Does this games abilities get more varied later in game? I'm only a level 32 white mage but I'm tired of just casting aero and stone at everything

Yes and no: 70 WHMs have the most healer-dps abilities in the game at four (not counting cooldowns like chain stratagem holy poo poo omg). You'll continue to upgrade stone as you level, then you'll get an AOE version of aero that stacks with the single target version, and then Holy, which is King poo poo of healer nukes and one of the coolest spells in the game.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Asimo posted:

Basically it's super easy to farm up a PVP set if you really want one, and you get some tomestones or XP for the effort too.

Just be sure to hit the wolves' den and get used to your class' PVP skills first though.

Corollary to this: set your additional PVP actions!!! This is how you do things like sprint or get MP back in PVP

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If Aggro #2's bar is almost full, that means you're close to losing aggro

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Lizard Wizard posted:

"Armory exp bonus", just say there's XP rubberbanding sheesh

it's called "the armory bonus" in-game.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Bolow posted:

This was a whole lot less painful to do than the Zodiac weapon, but Umbrites can gently caress right off with that 119/120 bullshit. Think I prefer the Longinus Zeta over it still but I'm expecting to mulch this thing for the next relic anyway

no mulching completed anima weapons to skip the first step of the next relic. they said the formula for relic weapons is changing significantly, that's why it was delayed.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Alloran posted:

So. Leveling up SCH. I should pretty much always be using Eos? Does Selene have anything she brings to the table that's better than the AoE regen?

IMO there's times when Selene's worth bringing over Eos for the extra dispel. This google doc might be useful for you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1taiR05AMe_PPLZ4oQ4VPKBLgMWd9cS7E5IXhFOnQSfg/edit#gid=0

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
My policy wrt class quests is to wait until half a level before the capstone quest (30/50/60/70, since these are the ones that give abilities now) and then do the entire storyline in one shot.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The new WoW raid has a mechanic that's basically soul extraction, but after everyone gets their soul extracted the first time, your soul gets separated from your body every time you die, and also there are buff orbs you can only collect when your soul is separate from its body.

The same boss also has a big goofy full-skybox cinematic ultimate attack. Seems only fair that FFXIV steal the idea right back.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I just wanna thank this thread for ruining a couple channels I really liked with idiot 12-year-old youtube drama

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
in phase 19, your static has to play Match Game, hosted by Nael and Twintania, then Bahamut reappears while you're still managing the relationship drama

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Where are you in the MSQ?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Saw posted:

Into the beast's maw

You're missing something somewhere. You're far enough in the MSQ; you shouldn't be able to do a lv35 job quest without the job stone, because the lv30 quest gives you the job stone. Are you 100% sure (go to the completed tab in your journal and verify if you haven't) you've finished the arcanist questline? There's not an arcanist quest sitting in your log, still? Maybe even the summoner quest?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The PVP version of protect is cool and good and the PVE version should be more like that.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I never ever ever drop shield oath during trash packs. It's just not worth it. I drop into sword oath every boss fight though.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Skaw posted:

This is really the big thing. Very few classes use a similar rotation in PvP as they do in PvE. I'd say Bard and Paladin are the two closest. Bard is effectively the same, with a truncated song rotation. Then there's the likes of Machinist being pretty far departed from their PvE play(and for the better imo.)

I wish PVE machinist was anything like PVP machinist, tbh

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5JSXEGYKl0

By far the coolest thing I've seen done in Perform yet. The tempo's almost perfect at 1.5x speed

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

gmq posted:

I'm level 14 in the trial and it's been kinda boring so far, especially the combat.

I assume the entire game is not like this but how many hours do I need to play before it starts being fun?

By lv70 you'll have two to three full hotbars of buttons to press, but it's a looooong, sloooooow curve getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mr. Nice! posted:

you know you can also use your mouse pointer and click things, right?

Every button you press in combat should be on a hotkey