Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I started playing 3 weeks ago and just got my Scholar to 49. Kinda disappointed with these changes.

I also want to pick up Dark Knight as my secondary, and that's bad now too :(?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
SCH nerfs just make the class feel bad and boring to play. Instead of having to put some thought into the management of 3+ DoTs, just spam Ruin or Broil forever and run out of mana all the time unless I very carefully manage Aetherflow. Fun! I could switch to SMN to level, but they're almost as bad.

I guess I picked the wrong class to play when I got the game 3 weeks ago!

I don't know how anyone plays DPS with those 30+ minute queue times. Guess I'll level paladin since I don't have Dark Knight unlocked yet.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Spamming Broil 2 is Good and Correct For The Meta, and we should all slobber over SE's metaphorical dick for these amazing SCH gameplay enhancements

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
SCH is fun enough when you are actively healing. It's probably a bit weaker than WHM and AST at healing now, but whatever. The whole point of the fairy is to reduce the need to focus on healing, but now our non-healing options are the most boring of any healer. So by playing Scholar, you're choosing to spend the most time focusing on the most boring abilities. The class used to have very engaging and dynamic DoT juggling and at least one AoE spell.

The problem is mainly in dungeons. If your tank does small pulls, you barely need to heal at all. If your tank does big pulls, you contribute almost nothing to AOE damage. An AST can Balance, a WHM can holy spam, and SCH has nothing.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

What's the best way to level from 50 to 60 as a DPS now? Still PotD?

PotD is still fastest because of the armory bonus, but PVP is decent too if you enjoy that more.

Actually buying a jump potion to 60 is fastest

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just got to Hilda in Heavensward. She is perfect in every way.

But seriously, they kinda dropped the ball on the visual and storytelling aspects of the downtrodden lower classes so far. Their suffering seems to happen almost entirely off screen. The dragon politics was better executed, but it still feels like a step back from the intricacies of the 2.X leadup to Heavensward. The dragon zones don't feel particularly special, and I don't get a sense of their society outside of the main characters. The historical misdeeds reveal also lacked punch because I have no lower class characters to sympathize with.

It's a little frustrating because I find the game pretty engrossing!

Also when do I get to wield the Heaven Sward

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m going to hit 70 on my first class (SCH) soon. What’s the best way up the gear treadmill? I know to start with the 70 class quest.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just ran Doma Castle for the first time.

This game is good!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Hello I have Fantasia’d into a Xaela because the Azim Steppe content was fun as hell

Going from a max height Roe lady to an Au Ra is a bit disorienting. I’ll probably go back to Roe eventually.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Laurel Goobbue mount music is quite soothing.

Plus you can sneeze on people

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The last Stormblood trial must have been soul-crushing in 290 class gear on release. It’s quite overwhelming at first. I blame the camera being a bit lovely.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Thundarr posted:

Release week of 4.0's last story trial was great because you just knew that you would see seven people die 30 seconds into the first pull. Then enough would figure that part out to progress further into the fight and it was just a matter of whether enough people would panic and die to force a wipe.

This was exactly my experience a couple of weeks before 4.4 too.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I like your posts. Arcanists are indeed the best, and I hope some of the future jobs use their weird shared level system with existing classes.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
You can buy 330 gear and the mats to upgrade to 340 pretty cheaply with Clan marks now. Great for gearing up your secondary jobs or new 70s.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’ve mostly seen toxic behavior in 24 player raids when the group wipes to a boss.

It turns out that the mechanics aren’t optional on the current raid tier.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is it worthwhile to spend Genesis on chest armor, or should I spend it on RHS stuff like a ring first? This is the first time I’ve been current with content.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I healed O11N (holy poo poo that is hard) and one of the BLM just refused to res after a point. That really chaps my rear end.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Starboard/Larboard would be so much easier if it were 180 degrees and not ~200. Half of my failures were clips on the edge of it.

I know you’re supposed to stand in the middle of the boss ty

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah they refused to accept a raise and laid on the floor as the rest of us cleared.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I finished Alphascape. That was surprisingly heartwarming!

Too bad everyone in the Rabanastre raid line is insufferable.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
IIRC L1+Dpad right/left will take your cursor into the next/previous Alliance parties, but it does totally suck.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

I ran an O10N from duty finder with this dude. He sucked as much as one would imagine from the name.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Primpin, why not just pay to server transfer your current characters? I like FFXIV a lot, but I’d never want to do everything over again on a fresh character.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Baby raids are still quite fun! This is the first time I’ve been current with the endgame, and I loved Alphascape normal.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Finished the new trial and raid via Duty Finder. Overall the FFXIV community is pretty good! However, those assholes who get all high and mighty about wipes on completely new content are the worst. Clearing each boss only took 2-3 attempts, but we had multiple sanctimonious assholes in chat by the end.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I leveled MCH from 30 to 51 in the past couple weeks. I expected to dislike it from all the hate, but I rather enjoy it? I have SCH/SMN and DRK at 70 and do normal raids as a SCH. It's somewhat simpler than SMN and yet still engaging unlike RDM for me.

I am excited for a complete overhaul in ShB though. It has a very clunky feel that can certainly be smoothed out.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I hit MCH 60 last night and threw on the vendor gear.

MCH glams are the best.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I quite dislike the Stormblood Alliance Raids because the mechanics feel bad. Orbonne is probably the best of the bunch.

As a bonus, the storyline sucks too!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Seiryu Spine DRK sword looks so cool! But my DRK is only ilvl 368 and I’ve never cleared an EX primal before. I do have my SCH at 381. For people that have done the EX primal totem grind, should I gear up my DRK and hope for a drop, or grind 10 totems?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I remember being very frustrated at the SCH/SMN nerfs in 4.0, but now the class feels great again. I suspect balance on expansion release is always going to be a bit hosed.

That's why you have multiple classes at level cap!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Cutter's Cry is the worst dungeon because the boss will wipe most groups once or twice.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I have completed Cutter's Cry twice in roulette. The first time everyone wiped on Chimera twice due to not paying attention to the attack patterns. The second time I ran it, I ended up soloing the Chimera as MCH because everyone else wiped due to ignoring the attack patterns. The Chimera is a poorly designed boss, IMO.

Also the rest of it is terminally boring and ugly.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I enjoyed the 1 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 3 core rotation on MCH. I hope they keep that. 1 - 2 - 3 rotations are boring.

Everything else about the changes looked awesome. It's going to be difficult to decide between DRK, SCH, and MCH now.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
As a SCH main, I’m really bummed about the changes and might switch to DRK or MCH. Hope everyone likes long queues waiting for healers!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Among other things A: these are not final numbers and B: They have said over and over that potency is not the same between sb and Shb

Also nerfs are not the same as "unplayable bad". Especially as a lot of what you mentioned is minor healing nerfs or connects to other features. (Ie Critlo on demand.)

If you feel that way then quit. As it stands it seems more like you are upset over the idea of nerfs rather than the class being unplayable trash

You are far more annoying than any of the healer complaints.

If you think the new Scholar is so great then main it and report back.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Sleng Teng posted:

Sorry to interrupt whatever it is that is going on here but does anybody have any advice for this admittedly lame question? don't want to give up on this game!

If I’m playing a caster, I put my instant abilities on the face buttons and cast abilities on the dpad. This aligns my thumbs so that I don’t move during cast abilities.

It takes a few hours to build muscle memory for controller so just pick up a new class (so you have fewer buttons) and play for a session or two. After that controller should feel great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I play with English text and the German dub to brush up on German. The German is usually much more plain and boring than the English text. Sometimes you'll get a whole paragraph of flavor in English and the German is a single line.