Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thundarr posted:

The Monk trait to give yourself a Chakra stack on a critical hit is a 50% chance. That's literally a free Chakra stack every other Bootshine. :stare:

Yeah everything's potency is down, but TP cost is also down. So... less raw output but almost unlimited sustain, with manic periods of Forbidden Chakra spam seems to be the new normal.

e: Internal Release is also now 30% crit up. They clearly expect Monk damage output to be based around making GBS threads out a constant stream of crits.

Also Twin Snakes is now 10% rather than 5%, which honestly should be almost enough on its own to counteract the potency drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Brainamp posted:

Enhanced Twin Snakes already provided that bonus. The trait was removed and the bonus is now just part of the base skill. Basically, nothing changed.

Ahhh, I forgot about that. Still, 10 less potency in exchange for the other stuff Monks are getting seems okay provided we all ignore the elephant in the room that is Samurai.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Speaking of Omega, what's the story with that free gametime? Just make a new character there and get it to 30, right? Might do this while the servers are exploding.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I haven't gotten to play with the changes yet, but my big annoyance with 4.0 MNK is that we didn't get any new punch buttons! All of our new skills are just buffs! The new stuff includes some drat nice QoL changes, but the lack of any new sweet stuff to hit people with is really sad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Velthice posted:

Then again, so are dps and healers who do not use their "I do not want aggro anymore" button

The Melee DPS "I do not want aggro anymore" button is competing with too many important skills for me. Although for non-MNK you probably don't care about Perfect North so they should have enough room for it.

(Before anyone asks, Second Wind, Invigorate, Goad, True North and Leg Sweep. I guess I COULD replace Leg Sweep, I don't use it that often, but eh)

Also it's not even "I do not want aggro anymore", it's more like "I wish to get less aggro for this specific 15 second window of time" which helps not at all for the other 105 seconds.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 24, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Brother Entropy posted:

if you're in group content aggro management is way more important than second wind's lovely heal

I keep second wind so I can heal papercuts on my own, or help myself mitigate possible mistakes I make. It's handy. 15 seconds of reduced aggro every 2 minutes just seems very pointless, and even without using it I haven't had many problems with tanks losing aggro. If it comes to the point where I find myself ripping aggro, I'll slot it in, but until then I'll keep my handy personal heal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm surprised they didn't have something to that effect as a dialogue option.

Gotta save something for the patch storylines.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

vOv posted:

This is definitely not true for Aetherial Manipulation since I triggered mines with it in A6S.

I'm also dead certain that's not how shoulder tackle works.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

nuru posted:

So did every MNK go SAM? I haven't seen a MNK since SB came out.

I'm still a MNK, and I don't think I'm gonna go SAM for a while, if ever. This is, admittedly, partially because I absolutely despise doing PotD and so leveling DPS classes is hell right now. But I also really like MNK and always have. If I didn't abandon it for HW, I won't abandon it for SB.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Injuryprone posted:

So which class has the best class quests?

Class? Pugilist. Job? Up in the air, lots of good ones. I'm a big fan of DRK, personally.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Your WoL has the personality you want them to have, and they keep giving you pretty decent options to flesh out your own idea of the character every expansion with more dialog options. Plus certain questlines do add some extra detail to the character (*coughDRK30-50cough*) that is pretty nice. I really do feel like you can end SB feeling like your WoL (ending spoilers)is actually the person Zenos wants them to be. As in, a battle-starved warrior who is not happy unless he is killing bigger and better things. There certainly are a lot of dialog options to reflect that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxyclean posted:

I think exdr has an ilvl req of 280 and drops 300, with Omega dropping 320 gear, I'm guessing it has a req. of 300. I assume a 300+ weapon and left side gear is enough to pull your weight.

I was able to queue exdr when I hit 70, but getting to 300 took like a week of doing exdr each day, but i basically saw no casting left side gear drop the entire time.

Omega's req. is actually only 295, for what that's worth. It's easily doable at that rank too, I didn't have any good verity pieces or ex primal pieces, all I got was the verity weapon and a bunch of random non-essential-but-cheap verity bits to pump up the ilvl score.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 4, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Brainamp posted:

It's basically sitting in the same place as it was in HW, only with even less to do. The new skills aren't really interesting.

This is just wrong. MNK lost like, what, Touch of Death and Fracture if you were one of the crazies that used Fracture. Oh and Haymaker, which is a skill I had to look up to even remember it existed because it was so unused besides in solo content.

In exchange they get to have a big fun burst phase where you pop off a large number of Forbidden Chakras, get to use more Forbidden Chakras in general and get to keep GL during certain mechanics due to Riddle of Earth. Like, I do wish they had gotten at least ONE new punch, but the difference in how fun MNK is in 4.0 than 3.0 is staggering. Now you actually have something your cooldowns are building up to, rather just sitting in the same rotation forever. You might not like it how it is now, but it's just wrong to say they have less to do than they did in HW. Keeping up 1-2 more DoTs isn't nearly as fun as slamming a bunch of forbidden chakras, in my opinion anyways.

They also have pretty decent numbers. They're no SAM, but they're no slouches either.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thumbtacks posted:

any idea when 4.05 is coming out?

Tuesday after the next, right? I'm pretty sure that's when Savage drops and they always do the first big balance pass then.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Velthice posted:

well pick what you want to do: Do you want to play the most braindead tank in the game where you basically have to try to screw up your damage? play drk. do you want to play a very clunky class that requires carefully lining up your cooldowns and also a bit of luck just to do around the same dps as drk and pld and have your dps be trash when you mess it up? play war

if you want something in the middle but still relatively easy and fun, you play pld and get rewarded with the best deeps and best utility. they're the war of 4.0

On the other hand shields are for nerds and big swords and big axes rule and class balance is always shifting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The new Aquapolis better have even longer door animations, with even more tricks. I want a door that open and then immediately closes! I want one that opens but there is a trapdoor on the other side! I want a door that appears closed but you can walk right through it!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

What's the general consensus on the melee DPS classes? I made an alt on Excalibur recently and I'm looking to buy a level 60 jump potion, and since as I've only really played SMN, PLD, and AST on my main, I thought I'd try something different this time. Obviously raw damage output is going to change from patch to patch, but I'd rather not spend $25 on a jump and then find out that the class is going to feel like it's missing a button or three until I hit level 70 on it. I'm kind of thinking NIN at the moment, but I'm indecisive about these things.

Just keep in mind NIN is the class who is the least friendly to a high ping. It's still playable, but you'll definitely be a lot less than optimal if you don't have under 100 ping or so.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Attorney at Funk posted:

if it helps you do eventually beat the poo poo out of him, depose him, and replace him as the leader of the steppe with someone who's not a shithead

I really wanted to be able to tell Magnai to gently caress off too.

I don't know if you caught this little detail, but it's a rather shocking one: You don't replace him with someone better. You replace him with YOURSELF. You, the WoL, are actually the ruler of the steppe warriors after those events. I really hope this comes back up during the patch storylines because it's an unprecedented amount of power to give the WoL.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

But the bad players wouldn't be able to play Monks then. Please consider the feelings of bad players.

(Greased Lightning 4 would have been a dream come true.)

Riddle of Fire takes more skill to use than a theoretical Greased Lightning 4 so this argument doesn't work tbh.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's what was said on stream. I don't think RoF needs any skill to use though, it's just awkward and fucks with your sense of timing.

It means you need to create a burst window with your oGCDs rather just spamming them whenever they're off cooldown, you gotta keep in mind the different cooldowns of your oGCDs so that they're all up when RoF and Brotherhood come off cooldown so you can do some sick burst. This, in my opinion, takes more skill than just slamming out more buttons per second. That may be the reason given on stream, but I don't think it's quite true.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Most skills cooldowns line up with riddle of fire. You wont be holding anything unless theres going to be a period where you wont be able to hurt the boss or take advantage of brotherhood.

Steel peak is the only thing that doesn't line up perfectly with a riddle of fire. Howling fist and internal release line up every other riddle of fire and should be used on cooldown.

But the thing is most fights will not have you doing an absolutely perfect rotation due to mechanics or whatever, so you need to adjust your timings to compensate. Like if you get stuck in the rock in Susan it fucks up your whole rotation and you need to adjust on the spot to determine what the best way to recover is. If we had just gotten GL4 you'd just go and mash out your base rotation all over again and not care. If Riddle of Fire was just GL4 that'd be fine too, it's mostly that just getting a straight fourth pip of GL4 without a connected cooldown would've been really boring, comparatively.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Your point was that you hold on to your oGCDs till they come out of cooldown to use riddle of fire and then burn all of them. I pointed out that the cooldowns line up with RoF, that you shouldn't hold for any of them. The only way you could screw it up is if you used the ogcds disparately.

RoF is basically a different flavor of blood for blood. It really didnt change much how you play monk, if anything the cooldown lines up better than before so decision making process is easier. GL4 would keep everything the same without requiring another cooldown, but becomes way more punishing to the people that keep dropping GL despite all the tools given to them.

Sometimes you have enough time do one cooldown, but then a mechanic forces you to stop what you're doing and not toss out the other cooldown. Ideal rotations are just that, ideal. Most of the time your poo poo is gonna end up out of sync eventually, and having to deal with that is at least somewhat interesting.

Having an extra stack of GL wouldn't change your gameplay nearly as much, is my point, and I think maintaining GL stacks is easier than managing your cooldowns, since really all you have to do is keep hitting buttons and now you just press riddle of earth if you have to do a mechanic. It'd also make stuff like Susan's sword and Lakshmi's dance even more annoying as you're losing even more DPS.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thundarr posted:

I'm going to be... modestly annoyed(?) if monk ends up being the secret super DPS after I started leaning towards sam. At least the gear interchangeable other than the weapon.

All this talk of wanting GL4 instead of RoF now has me thinking about RoF being a 20 second buff that reduces your GCD to 1 second, a la Meditation. Now I'm sad that we don't have that instead.

I'm glad we don't have that since it'd suck to do anything but spam a single button with a 1 second GCD with my ping. This is why I don't play Ninja, dammit!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I really do wonder how they're gonna do Savage Helicarnassus. There are SO MANY OPTIONS to make that fight hell, it's kinda insane.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'd like to formally request on behalf of MNKs everywhere that every party comp be SCH/AST/DRG/MNK/BRD/who cares

Just give me all the crit chance increases. Just stick them right in my loving veins. I need the chakras. I need theeeem.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Maximum Chenergy posted:

I'm glad that paladins didn't get a cast time increase on Holy Spirit, since I already sometimes clip into my Requiescat if I happen to have to move for a mechanic. Or if someone happens to sneeze on the servers and I have 130ping for a second. It's a shame about Dark Knight, but that class needs a lot more right now than a .0x patch can offer.

Oh no, 130 ping, whatever will you do :geno:

I'm happy when my ping is consistently in the 180's...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Square-Enix in the past: We can't give MNK GL4. It would be too fast and unreasonable to play.

Square-Enix now: gently caress IT GL4 AND MONKS LEARNED TO AIM THEIR KAMEHAMEHA FORWARD GO NUTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BrightWing posted:

Crit and Direct Hit

Here comes the DNC + MNK meta!