Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

Palace of the Dead is probably what I'm going to do since I haven't touched that yet. I've done the first half of my set of 40-50 hunt logs and the rest are enough above my level that I'm probably not saving any time seeking them out.

What is the actual 'reward' for levelling roulette and guildhest roulette? I did them for the rewards but I can't tell what they actually give me.

Hunting log is 4-5 mobs per type, max, and if you bring your chocobuddy you can clear them several levels ahead. The hardest part is finding some of the mobs. You also get large chunks of grand company seals for it.

Roulettes award bonus XP and gil and grand company seals which you use to rank up in your GC or buy GC gear. Big rewards can be gained once a day, and there's a bonus if your role is "in need", but the bonus is really small and doesn't really compensate for getting eg. a low level dungeon instead of one close to your level.

The guildhest roulette isn't really worth a lot, but if you unlocked the challenge log, there's a weekly XP bonus for completing a certain number of them. You should run each guildhest at least once because they also give a nice amount of XP the first time. If you do dungeons for XP, run the leveling roulette once per daily reset, then queue for the highest level dungeon you have unlocked. Some of those are not part of the story and need to be unlocked through sidequests (they should all have blue icons with a + sign these days).

If roulette, hunting log, sidequests and first time rewards for guildhests are not enough, there's PotD (you'll run a lot of that soon enough) and fates.

Also make sure you wear equipment with an XP bonus if you're synced to below their level limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

new bane isn't the reason scholar aoe sucks dick now, it's the fact that they pruned one of the dots that bane was spreading on top of shadowflare nerf. the actual bane nerf is uh, what, 4% on 3 targets and 8% on 4? It shakes out to a small 10-20% nerf even in Big Boy 6+ mob double pulls in exdr.

Where is that 4% number coming from?

Also Shadowflare nerf is 50%, Miasma 2 is gone, Blizzard 2 is gone.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

VHGS posted:

On three targets: You hardcast them on one target, bane puts them on the second one at 100%, then 80% for the third. Before, the third target was 90%. 2.8/2.9 ~= 0.965. So yeah, about 4%.

That is literally the point of the post you quoted.

Didn't bane have a 50% penalty for the 4th enemy and up, instead of the 90/80/etc. % treatment of some other AoE spells? Or when was that changed?

The other abilities were not meant as a reply to that post. Literally not, but thanks for replying.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Yes, that's how bane used to work. Honestly, at 70 or 100 potency per tick (if you're a smn it's 2x50), it's about where aoes with no falloff are, they should just remove it.

That's what I've been thinking, and I agree.

With the "50% potency after the 4th enemy" design as a comparison, the nerf is larger and ramps up quickly. The low % numbers for small groups make the Bane nerf seem insignificant on its own, but there are many dungeons (even in SB) where you want to AoE larger groups than just 3-4 mobs so it's not really a good point.

Up to like 30% less damage on top of all the other stuff they nerfed still adds up, reverting only the Bane change or changing it to a more gradual drop-off (-10% to -50% eg.) would not fix AoE, but it would be a start. Even with Shadowflare on top, it wouldn't be OMGHUGE damage, but if the problem is being able to heal while your AoE ticks, they'll have to move some damage into direct damage AoE (and at some point it would be the 3rd version of Holy, but I would take it over the mess we have right now).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kojei posted:

I'd love to hear some actual concrete ideas instead of vague abstract wishes lofted up into the sky. "How do we get players stuff in a time-gated method without it feeling time-gated or potentially loving them on an unlucky streak" has been a goal any MMO worth looking at has been working on for a Long Time, and tomes are a very good answer to it.
MMOs must have broken you really badly if you think tomes are a good answer to "make it not feel time-gated". Compared to eg. certain expansions or patch-cycles of WoW this game's version of catching up (with tomes) is atrocious.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think you were playing a vastly different vanilla WoW than I was. From an itemization standpoint the only thing this game doesn't really have is odd affects on items and trinkets. From a "Look pretty" standpoint this game has WoW beat hands down when it comes to variety, especially when you get into the fact that most of what you see on WoW armor is shoulders and chest armor still looks painted on.

WoW is a thousand years old though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 11, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you just beat the Ultima Weapon, future main scenario quests will have gear rewards:
  • Your class quest reward armor is item level 90, you will soon get item level 90 weapons from the MSQ.
  • As you continue towards Heavensward, the MSQ will give you another set of item level 110 armor/weapons.
  • Quests in the first zones of Heavensward give out item level 115 HQ gear.
As you earn poetic tomes you can spend them on ironworks gear (weapons first, generally) which will last you till about level 56 if they're upgraded. I can't remember the exact amount, but a weapon is slightly above 400 tomes for the base version (item level 120) and another 100 tomes for the upgrade item to augmented (item level 130)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

I feel like there should be a "so you've just hit 50/beaten the initial MSQ" guide somewhere. Right now I've been running around unlocking all the Hard Mode and level 50 dungeons and whatnot (and noping out at unlocking Crystal Tower) but other than doing each of them once to see what it's like and for poetics for gear I don't really know what's worth my time and what isn't.

(other than being told to definitely do Hildibrand quests)

That guide would probably just be "continue focusing on the MSQ if you want to play Heavensward anytime soon, and Stormblood after that". Everything else can be a welcome distraction if you want it, but just following the MSQ gives you gear (you can always have better from eg. tomes or crafters, but it's good enough) and unlocks most of the critical features and all the important places.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Erg posted:

Whoever decided needing to camp out 4 fates to unlock poo poo was a good idea is a dick imo

My favourite part is that the Hildibrand unlock fate is almost always up, but if you need one for beast tribes, unlocking CT or atma books, it just finished so you get to wait another hour (or more).

Basically Hildibrand is the best content in the game :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

The only atma FATE that is really hard to solo is Surprise! in Upper La Noscea, since you have to keep two NPCs alive and they stand pretty far from each other. If one goes down you get two waves of Overwhelm-using kobolds focusing on one npc and that tends to end badly. You also have to camp it since the NPCs will die almost immediately if you aren't there when it starts.

There's also that FATE just south of Little Ala Mhigo that is mostly bad because it's rare and will fail within 30 seconds if nobody is there when it spawns, but isn't too bad if you actually camp it.

The relic I'm working on is for WHM, it's bad because my WHM is only 50 (53 from all the dungeons and fates for the relic by now) so I can't unsync the level 50 dungeons. It's awesome because the solution to everything is either "more holy" or "aggro everything, use renew a lot".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gruckles posted:

Make a macro that does
code:
/p Use it or lose it DPS. Tank LB in 10 seconds... <wait.1> 
/p 9... <wait.1>
etc

and hit it every time the bar fills.

So you fire the tank LB at about 8 or 7, right? :smuggo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colgate posted:

That post about the SCH spamming physick in Brayflox worried me, since I just did that, and found it difficult to keep the tank up while using other abilities. The best I could do was sneaking in Bio/Miasma. I also almost bottomed out on mana on the final boss, just trying to keep health up/tossing esuna.

I'm not sure if the tank was just squishy, or if I was doing something wrong or what.

Besides what the other people said, also check your tank's gear. Around level 30 tanks start to take nontrivial amounts of damage and if they're bad or undergeared this makes your job much harder, too.

Days ago I was in a Brayflox as a SCH and everytime I tried to do more than put up a DoT or two, the tank took huge damage spikes and almost died. Turns out this DRK was mostly wearing DPS gear with low defense and weathered jewelry (the stuff you start with at level 1 nowadays). I didn't check their cooldown use but it can't have been great either. The RDM was easier to heal than the tank, whenever they pulled mass aggro.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ryanbomber posted:

Questing is easily the worst part of this game. The gameplay involved is permanently trapped in Vanilla WoW/BC era. Aside from that weird sniping mini game they added in 4.0, anyway. Solo instances are cool, I guess, but they're fairly rare and they can't be repeated.

At least every bear has an rear end.

There are actually a few quests in which this is not the case :eng101:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You can only use one jump potion I thought :thunk:

Correct, and the limit is per account (ie. no making alts with jump potions).

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 27, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Wait when people say "one jump potion per account" do they mean the storyline potion or did Square really say "only one instant 60 job per account"? Thus inconveniencing/annoying people who end up boosting a job they dislike and also closing off a stream of possible revenue?

The latter. Once you bought a potion to any level 60 class you can't buy another for another class on any character on the account. I have no doubt they'll unlock this at some point, because :20bux:.

Frankly I think "we know the low levels are poo poo and boring but if you want to skip them pay us 20 bucks" (and the same for "do you wanna skip the 100 fed ex quests blocking your access to the previous expansion?") is dumb and lovely but here we are. Video games in 2017.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I think they did say they're going to lift that restriction at some point, though honestly I can't understand why it's there in the first place. It's not like they'll let you jump to 70, nor will they let you jump one of the new jobs. I don't see what the harm is, personally.

Also I jump potioned Bard and ended up not really loving it as much as I hoped and I'd love a do-over so I could jump potion White Mage instead :v:

[...]

I assume it's either about gil sellers or the fear of newbies buying level 60 jobs without having gone through the proper steps of hundreds of solo quests or dozens of hours in PotD to ~learn2play~.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mudras are completely craptastic if your latency goes above 100ms or so, though.

tyblazitar posted:

You're right that if I'm not in the zone it shows me the useless zoomed-out map, but when I am in the right zone it shows me an even more useless zoomed-out map without any marker at all. This wasn't always the case, but it's been that way for the last couple of main quests at least.

Also my main problem with the map (particularly in cities) is how cluttered it is with a million quest markers for quests I'll never do of all levels, and no way to actually customize what markers it shows. As someone with zero sense of direction it's also incredibly annoying how every city seems to consist of several fragments instead of just one level, they all remind me of The Grove in GW2 and how much I hate navigating it.

If you're in the right zone it usually auto-centers on a marker of an NPC you have to talk to, or it shows the area in which your quest takes place with an orange circle overlay. Unfortunately the latter is not very visible if your map is zoomed out too much, and sometimes if a quest makes you go to 3 different areas in the zone it centers somewhere between them and you might not see any. You should be able to see the circle by zooming in though.

The lack of filtering is bad, the only "solution" is to do all the side quests to make it readable in towns.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even if you're not terrible, cast sequence macros (which is what PvP one-button combos are) help against ability clutter on your bars.

Oh I'm sorry obviously I mean it would make people boot you from Sastasha if you're not using them so they're bad and wrong and we can't have nice things.

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 8, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't particularly care what their aim is if it's garbage. There were too many buttons to push. There still are and continue to be too many buttons to push, and giving PvE combo buttons or cast sequence macros would solve some of that.

Except you're still pushing buttons, it's just on the same key. It creates this fake complexity someone wrote about pages ago. It also doesn't take away much "skill" (oh no some people are going to gently caress up their combos less!) and leaves all the decision making to the player if done right*, since you can always push a different combo or ability to abort your one-button combo.

*) I can see FF14's cargo cult development style leading to another less than optimal solution where some people are going to miss the option to push combos out of order or reset to step one without spending a GCD on another button in PvE.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're only getting better secondary stats though, the item level also adds more primary stats which usually have way higher weights. If you're trying to increase your preferred secondary stats beyond materia, you usually have to get gear of the same item level from another source.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 10, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Actually, that's something else I wonder. What exactly does item level measure, anyway? I sort of assumed it was the stat budget like in some other games with item levels, but NQ and HQ crafted gear have the same item level but different stats.

It works just like in those other games. NQ and HQ are different quality levels, like pink/green/blue drops eg. I'm not sure if FF14 follows a constant formula for the item budget, but "same item level but higher item quality" = "more stats".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Has the summer event started?

Yes, please go get your dyeable cheerleader outfit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If the quest reward is HQ, it should be craftable, as is most white gear. If you want to make sure, databases like http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/) tell you where an item comes from, it will have crafting professions listed too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There is something in your face.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's legacy of allag?

The unlock quest for the first of the three Crystal Tower raids (Labyrinth of the Ancients). It features all the best elements of FF14 questing like excessive FedEx-ing and waiting hours for the right FATE to pop.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Not to mention that with chests in the 61-69 dungeons it's not impossible to get 10 drops plus the guaranteed item you get at the end in one run.

No it's not mathematically impossible but implying that people shouldn't be wearing poo poo gear because there is the near-zero chance to get all your gear in one run is ridiculous. There are close to 80 items per dungeon and you can get duplicate drops from different chests, good luck!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Erg posted:

I don't think they were saying you do one run and get out with all your gear, dude

I'm pretty sure it was just an example to illustrate that leveling dungeons make it rain with gear. People shouldn't be in poo poo gear all the time anyways if they're leveling through dungeons unless they're somehow the unluckiest turd ever

My point is it's disingenuous to imply people should have lots of gear just because the dungeons drop lots of it. You can be pissant about it all you want but RNG is a thing and with duplicate drops and a single dungeon having to provide full sets for 7 armor types, 5 types of jewelry and 15 weapons on top of RNG, people are not reliably getting most of their gear in a handful of runs before they move on to the next dungeon.

This isn't even news either. Previous dungeons also had a lot of chests, but this game is really good at having way too much poo poo a chest can drop, so the times you could rely on dungeons to gear you up while leveling was approximately never. There's a reason they added the welfare drops at the end of HW/SB leveling dungeons and if you have to rely on those, like a few people have to occasionally, it's going to be 10 runs and you don't even have a weapon to show for it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s almost as if 90% of the time you should just do the thing your class is supposed to do and not try to edgelord out an extra sliver of DPS to finish a dungeon 2 minutes faster :thunk:

:allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It'll either be an O2 promo or Mog shop item at some point
They didn't do this for the maid gear etc. yet so I sort of wouldn't count on it.

ImpAtom posted:

The jacket is kind of cute but the boots are just awful.
"boots"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh I didn't know that, since I'm not in the UK. It didn't show up on mogstation though, which is what everyone was implying as they were waiting forever for the European promos to trickle out originally, and now again as there's no indication they will even continue the cloud mount one.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

You were an rear end in a top hat for no reason in this case, yes. You are the one in the wrong here and the other people are annoyed at you because you threw a tiny hissy fit because someone briefly grabbed aggro most likely expecting you to grab it back.

Letting some DPS tank for a bit is being an rear end in a top hat and throwing a hissy fit now, JFC :psyduck:

Someone should change your avatar again.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

you should have the i330 sword by now unless you've not been playing since launch to be honest, even without savage raiding.

:allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry Haquer this is the NO FUN ALLOWED zone. Better be prepared to take flak for your transgressions!

At least your healer healed the guy I guess? Mine didn't last night to story Garuda when the tank died three or four times and the healer kept hard casting raise. Since NIN can't tank forever we eventually all died with the boss at 5% :ohdear:

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 23, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jinh posted:

it's not the no fun zone, it's the equal fun for everyone zone. Not really seeing how that's hard to understand unless you lack basic social skills.

Oh right, mmo goon combo. Carry on.
Cool, two insults in one post :allears:

Truga posted:

Really the only things this game has over gw2 is boss fights (extreme trials and savage raids, basically), crafting is slightly more interesting, and the amount of good soundtrack. But gw2 is slowly getting there in the fights department, now that there's fights where healers and tanks are required they can do far more interesting poo poo.

Combat in gw2 is easily better, wvw is still real good fun, I can craft with materials stored in the bank directly, there's a wardrobe that stores all my armour skins not just a tiny subgroup. Honestly if they ever get boss fights down to the level ff14 had even in 2.x, I'm probably quitting this one. I already log in pretty much exclusively for raids these days, so I'd rather play a game where not playing for a few months doesn't mean I have to grind brand new gear so I can do it again. :shrug:
Agreed. I really disliked HoT and didn't have time to play the supposedly better LS3 stuff yet, but I think I'll play it more regularly with PoF. As a primarily dress-up motivated person in this game, the lack of glamour storage alone is a huge deal, as is everything inventory related really. Also once we're a few content patches in, I always nope out of the treadmill poo poo and we're quickly approaching that point. Logging into GW2 I wouldn't have the newest FotM stat spread or customizable legendaries, but there's not 10 tiers of better gear to catch up to first.

The only thing I have to grind out is hero points in HoT zones, I think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the big ninja with the ninja adds, yeah.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd argue for GW2 that while gear doesn't have any treadmill to speak of, the amount of time you actually have to spend grinding for a lot of poo poo is basically equivalent to a full anima weapon. It's just a constant slew of anima weapon tier grinds and that's awful. It's one of my biggest complaints about the game. FF14 may have ilvl but they actively make an effort to allow catching up quickly and easily.

Such as letting you buy crafted gear? Otherwise, I guess I have a different definition of "quick and easy". During its best time, WoW used to stock its newest dungeons with gear good enough to start the current raid tiers on normal, and the available gear from uncapped tokens was on the same level. Here you're x weeks worth of capped tokens behind, which are the baseline for current raids, the uncapped tomes are 2-3 tiers behind and are required to even run the newest dungeon or 24-man raid, most dungeons you go to drop stuff another tier or several lower, and getting drops is unmitigated RNG (eg. WoW eventually added personal loot and streak prevention) or capped again. In queues where you never run out of people who might want the same stuff you want.

Also GW2 has moronic grinds, eg. legendaries and some cosmetic stuff, but a set of ascended gear is not that big of a deal anymore and once you have it you can return after a year and it's still good. Not the best, even if it was before, because there's probably a new better stat combination, but the "item level" is the same, you're not suddenly 30% behind in all stats compared to someone who upgraded constantly during that time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Funnily enough, I really like hot maps a lot, but I can see how it'd get old really fast if those 4 maps are all the new content you had for the full game priced expansion. It'd be like buying stormblood, but expansion ends at yanxia and there's no dungeons and only 1 trial and raid :laffo:

I had two issues with it, one was that I didn't like the entire Mordremoth storyline and thorny jungle stuff at all, which was the entire expansion before LS3 (also the two post-release zones for LS2 before HoT). Second, like Silverwastes (and Orr before it), there was limited stuff you could do alone because almost everything in the new zones was tied to their meta event chains and there were overly aggressive, overpowered, quickly respawning mobs everywhere. It sucked if you played at the wrong time, got the wrong map or played the wrong class/build. Also the ingame map is awful for the vertical HoT maps so figuring out where to go wasn't very fun at first, either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

You can start O1S in all 310 dungeon gear, and it's not even like you need tome gear to do it, and you only need 315 average to get into O2S, which is similarly easy. You can get that no problem with a combination of Susano weapon, Lakshmi accessories, crafted gear, your first week of tomestones....

That's why I said I liked early expansion FF14 the best, because there's not that much of a difference between gear- and content tiers yet, ie. you're not really catching up în the first place. It won't be as quick and easy halfway through the expansion, or towards its end, if you start with gear from half a year ago, and if they keep HW's design.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ehhh *wavey hand motion*

They're sufficiently different that they can't really be directly compared I think. GW2 ultimately by its very design cannot do group content like a more traditional holy trinity MMORPG. If you enjoy MMOs for cooperation with friends and doing complex fights that require forethought, you're gonna get more out of FF14. GW2 combat is visceral and satisfying, but also really goddamn simple. It's more of an action RPG, which means that the moment to moment fights in open world content feel like less of an imposition on your time. GW2 is for people who, for one reason or another, spend the majority of their time MMO-ing soloing.

It also really can't be overstated how goddamn dire the character/story writing in GW2 is.

:thunk:

GW2 plot is very bad, vs. FF14's which is only bad. I agree that story is not GW2's strong point, but have to disagree with the rest of your post.

FF14 encounters are better on average, and more numerous but GW2 has some good and challenging group content and complex fights now, just not many/enough of them compared to a game doing nothing BUT those. So the fact GW2 is lacking them isn't due to fundamental differences in design, it's that their designers sucked/had other priorities. If they restrict how many people you can bring (raids, fractals) or simply require a full instance in the first place (Triple Wurm), the fights can be as involved as holy trinity fights. Their class design allows to have "tanks" and "healers" too, so they can even design actual trinity-based encounters.

The most laughable is your last statement. GW2 is full of options to cooperate and do stuff with friends, except it doesn't require groups or raids for a lot of it (sometimes not even a guild) which is its major draw - you can play "solo" but still interact and cooperate with other people, which is a thing FF14 doesn't do at all. GW2 also does the "play with different level friends" thing far better, the flipside is that GW2's options to do formalized group content with strangers are limited.

And finally, GW2's combat is not just action RPG simple stuff, if you want to be good at it (raid-good or PvP-good), it's very involved while avoiding all the fake complexity of FF14 with its dozens of abilities and combos. This is subjective to some extent but the games are still very much comparable.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Krabboss posted:

actually it's good to care about everything taking 3x as long as it needs to because everybody is bad

it was shisui, so it's xpm I'm worried about. also i don't see how wanting to do things quickly ruins the fun more than actually having to do things very slowly.
What will ruin your fun is that you WANT to run things quickly but you CAN'T because players are often extremely bad and force you to run them things slowly. You are in control of your expectations, you're not in control of the healer who's honest healing your 30 minute dungeon because they're lazy as gently caress and watching Netflix at the same time.

Expect poo poo runs, always, be pleasantly surprised if they turn out to be fast and good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder why they even allow you to list allagan pieces on the MB. It's literally just a junk item designed to be sold to a vendor for gil. It probably shouldn't even exist, actually

Back when you couldn't take as much gil* with you in server moves, people bought them to keep most of their money, ideally only losing the market fee (or not even that if people are bad enough to sell them below vendor value).

You can bring a lot of gil nowadays, though, and the lower value ones are especially worthless since no one is going to buy dozens of stacks of an item they can vendor for 100 or 500 gil each.

*) it used to be like 1 million + 100k per retainer, now it's 10 million + 5 million per retainer

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 24, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Before the cross class ability revamp, they had to design casual encounters around the fact that some tanks wouldn't even have provoke. Even now they have to design around the fact that some tanks might choose to be idiots and not have provoke or ultimatum slotted.

It's still a complete mystery as to why they need to limit the number of role abilities you can have active.

~~choices~~

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Haquer posted:

I make a dps tank for 15 seconds and get called a literal game ruining player

Literal game ruining tank sits during a trash pull over Goad and goons rush in to defend him?

:psyboom:

:laffo:

If I'm on a class that has goad, most of the time I'm in parties with people who don't need it. Either this is because of how duty finder tries to put your melee together with a ranged if it can, and they either use MP or have TP refresh and don't run out as easily. Or they're bad and don't AoE enough so the only person whose TP going low is me.

Bolow posted:

Does FF14 support clickcasting? Like say I want to bind Goad to Shift+Leftclick so I just have to shiftclick the target party member and have it cast on them?

Only in the roundabout way of assigning mouseover ingame macros to mouse buttons through your mouse software. It makes healing annoying if you've played MMOs with good, customizable UIs before (in before "but it would make us kick newbies in Sastasha").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Tanks not named DRK always need it

I know, but I hardly ever see warriors anymore and the paladins in my groups never run out of TP :iiam: (it's not, it goes back to "they bad!")