Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shy posted:

You start at 50, then get job quests at 60 and 70, the quests grant you a skill on quest completion, other skills are unlocked automatically upon reaching their level.

2 job quests total for SAM and RDM?

That's pretty weak

Ciaphas posted:

So no job story quest lines? :(

Yeah, SAM and RDM both have amazing potential :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

vOv posted:

IIRC they've said there are quests every 2 levels, but only the 60/70 ones give you abilities.

That'd be a-okay

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

As a WHM Main I'm mostly annoyed that its new mechanics are just dumb and boring and I will literally have no difference between playing White Mage at 70 than I did at 60.

Well, other than weaving Fluid Aura into Aero casts. I liked doing that. :smith:

This is about as bad as it gets for classes in SB, which is not so bad? Ninja is mostly the same but with a couple new toys and a little simplification.

I think Astrologians were complaining? I don't play AST so I didn't really pay much mind to it.

But overall seems like a pretty good place, at worst your class is the same, at best its got some significant depth added.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

AST's are wisely not complaining since they're now the best healers in the game.

Haha, must have mixed something up when I was skimming. I feel like *somebody* was complaining... scholar? I always mix up AST and SCH. They're non-WHM healers... same thing!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I am required by law to post this image in every MMO release thread:

http://i.imgur.com/xLMAXhm.gifv

Choyi posted:

Except that SCH is trash now.

Which would be a reason to complain? What do you mean 'except'. That's the point.
So then it was SCH. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anybody got any idea what the zone order is gonna be like?

I pretty much wanna check out Doma asap. All the Doma zones look beautiful, while the Ala Mhigo ones seem okay, but more like stuff we've seen already in 2.0. I'm sure there'll be some cool surprises, but I really wanna check out Kugane, Ruby Sea, Yanxia and Azim Steppe.

I'm worried we're gonna do all the Ala Mhigo stuff first and I won't see that stuff till 65. But then again, I think the first dungeon they showed off was in Ruby Sea? So by that logic we'd be going to Doma first off, and then Ala Mhigo later. Or maybe they'll send us back and forth and mix it up?

Also wonder how far into the game we unlock swimming, and whether we can use mounts underwater straight off or I assume we'll have to do flying attunement first or even swimming attunement...

Azim Steppe really looks awesome, some really cool Mongolia / Tibet / China vibes going on there, contrasting the Japanese style of Kugane. Terraced farming! :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol:

:golfclap:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

I sincerely doubt we'll see all of Ala Mhigo in 4.0 and I doubt we'll kill the big bad guy (although given 3.0 I suppose that's a possibility)

That's the point of Varis zos Galvus isn't it? So you can have a bigger bad, and kill the big bad (Zenos yae Galvus) this expansion and then tease the bigger bad for next.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

2k line

I was just about to go to sleep and then I realized it was time for the servers to open :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The menu boss is real tough

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Watching internet grass grow :toot:

Listening to the FFXI soundtrack and waxing nostalgic about days of MMOs past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAcS-1H3BM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Can you swim already? Do we need a quest to swim in old zones?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Already down to 116, almost there

SAM theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Are the SAM and RDM quests purely flavor or are there decent rewards for them?

Seems like its just flavor and EXP until level 60, but after that you'll start getting job abilities and gear from them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think the server just kicked everybody and poo poo the bed

place in queue 2,975 and not moving

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Been stuck st 525 for twenty minutes. Emergency fixes maybe?

More like emergency reboot the world servers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm in Kugane and I'm swimming in the Ruby Sea and everything is beautiful, Stormblood rules now that its working :)

Jimbot posted:

I want Square to sort the Samurai combos for PvE in the way they do it for PvP. It's utterly perfect how well they have their stuff sorted out. There's literally no reason to ever use the combo skills by themselves, so packaging them with the skill that combos into them is just fantastic. I'm not sure why they just didn't design it that way to begin with. It cuts down on the skillbar clutter lots!

That makes it way too simple. If you want a class that is simpler to play than Samurai, don't demand that they make Samurai simpler for everybody. Just try a different dps class :v:

PvP has very different timing so things have to be simplified for pvp, but samurai as it is for pve is cool and good.

I guess if you're on controller maybe its an issue? Couldn't you do it as like a macro or something? I guess macros aren't smart enough. Well, I guess if they gave you the option to do that, it wouldn't hurt things too much. But I'd feel disappointed if they made it play that way in pve. It'd be too boring.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 19, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Conot posted:

The first post 60 katana I get and it has a handguard like some kind of Civil War era sabre :argh:

I just want to be a samurai, drat you game. Stop trying to make me look like some weirdly dressed monk who uses gaijin western swords

Have you heard of these wonderful items called glamour prisms?

But yeah I saw that officer sabre (Japanese Officers wore western style sabres with guards post-Meji era, not just Civil War duders) and I was like "yuck" myself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Conot posted:

My main issue is that so far I don't have many suitable glamour katanas. I have the Ironworks katana glamour on at the moment, with the Shire Katana as backup, waiting to do some more PotD to be able to get the Kinna Katana, but as far as "cool lookin' katana glamours" go those are my options so far, unless I want to blow multi-millions on the marketboard crafter pieces.

Do you not have a poo poo-load of poetics?!
There's several great katanas that are super easy to get, dude. Go to Idyllshire.

Have you ever done pvp?!
Thats even more easy to get amazing looking katanas.

There's also the loving brilliant gold saucer katana, but that does cost 100k MGP.

I'm super jealous of all the amazing katanas that SAM get, as a NIN half my daggers are really wonky looking. (But I've got a few I love, like the artifact weapons)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Summoner is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Haven't tried Ninja, and now that there's Samurai, I can't imagine I will!

Ninja is way more fun than Samurai :colbert: :ninja:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

NIN barely got changed, but the changes were all 100% goodness.

Paladin is supposed to be more fun now than it was before.

Bard seems like its in a good place?

Can't speak to the others.

Note Block posted:

Trying to decide which job to use a Tales of Adventure on: PLD, DRK, DRG, NIN, MCH, or BLM.

Tough call. DRK and MCH start at 30, but leveling from 30 to 60/70 is still a pretty long grind.

All those classes are good. :shrug: Have you played them all in POTD to see how they actually feel to play yourself at higher level? Testing the classes at level 5 with no abilities doesn't really tell you anything.

Pick whichever you think has the coolest armor and weapons or whichever is the most fun to play. Use POTD to test out playing the classes at higher level without having to level up all the way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It took a lot of work and gathering a small arsenal of gear, but back when I played FFXI 12 or so years ago, RDM (usually with /NIN subjob) was one of the few classes that could solo things.

You know how enterprising statics will sometimes sell savage drops and carries for people? Back in FFXI I used to make the majority of my cash soloing Avatars (primals basically) for fledgling Summoners so they could get their summons. These weren't outdated fights either.

That's right, FFXI was such a lovely grind fest that SMN was required to do fights requiring a full party (Or mercenary RDM/NIN) just to get job essentials, one such battle for each and every summon.

They patched the summons after not too long at all so that there were two versions of the fight; a party version and a solo version. The solo version was scaled to be do-able solo, but since you had to be a SMN and you had to do them to get the summon themselves, pulling it off with just carbuncle required a RIDICULOUS amount of kiting the boss back and forth on the boss arena. (which was a huge long strip, which facilitated you kiting them back and forth and back and forth) Once you had one of the better summons it wasn't too hard to solo the rest of them.

But yeah, at launch summoners had it REALLY rough, and then it only got slightly easier.

But in return, SMN in XI was loving amazing. You'd have Fenrir or Ifrit chiling with you 24/7. I just can't bring myself to play SMN in XIV when all you get is the tiny little egi dudes. Weak!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, new gpose is so good. It also works with limit breaks. I need to figure out a way to get the LB3 cast and Gpose it. What criteria lets you use an LB3? Any full 8man party? Even if its open world?

How do you do gpose stuff like limit breaks? Do you just type /gpose right AS you're using the spell or LB or whatever in order to pause it and take a screenshot? That seems wonky.

I figured you'd be able to trigger different animations in /gpose but I can't find a way to do that. Its just lighting and camera movement.... I tried looking up some tutorials but nobody explains poo poo. How does this work? Thanks.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Was it though? When I played you were basically a glorified white mage with some cool group buffs that you would summon an avatar for, have them cast, and then unsummon to minimize the MP cost. Accurate to the single player games, sure, but hardly great gameplay.

IDK I never mained SMN hardcore and that was all a lifetime ago so its hard to remember... but I seem to remember summons chilling out and doing damage the whole time at least some point in the game's lifecycle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

Yoshida bluntly told me that the original game “was crap” and players had every right to be angry.

However, going forward with Stormblood or any other update, he also understands that when changes are made that players don’t like, “it’s only natural” for them to be angry. In fact, he says, “You should get mad.”

YoshiP is cool and good :cool:

quote:

Hmm… no matter what we tell you it could potentially be a spoiler. For those players who enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy XII, I think those players will enjoy this content. The gear you obtain from completing the content should be enjoyable to those fans of the Ivalice Alliance.

This is cool. I was worried we'd get something from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

19MB Patch!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

How would I do that? I assume it would also negative impact graphics or some such.

The game launcher has an option, its easy as pie to change. It used to default to 9.

It won't be a big difference and unless you're a computer graphics guy you'll probably not even notice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Does anybody want me to use their recruitment code?

Yes please! It'll also get you some items to help you level up a bit faster.

Can you PM me your email address?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

This is why i'm hoping they'll severely nerf PvP EXP

http://i.imgur.com/xnMKGm9.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

vOv posted:

You can AM out of battle but I don't think it lets you go up ledges or anything so it's not useful for parkour.

Same with the Ninja Shukuchi, its great for popping around but it specifically doesn't let you hop up ledges so you can't sneak into places you shouldn't :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eopia posted:

Upgraded shire gear is obsolete by level 64, and is showing its age by the 65 dungeon especially with the extreme defense bloat we're seeing. By the time you get tomestone gear it has literally over double the defense stats as upgraded shire. May as well get it anyway so you can replace it by running the level 65 dungeon though.

Nah upgraded shire gear isn't obsolete until 67. That's totally wrong. Its ilevel 670.

Maybe if you get lucky dungeon drops at 65, yeah, but its not "obsolete" until 67 really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lyse and Yda are for all purposes two entirely separate characters and the writers just didn't want to do a Yda death scene.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Compelling.

Compared to Yda, Lyse has a different name, different appearance, a different personality, different motivations, and different relationships with different characters. The only thing they share is being a Monk and I guess the Ala Mhigan backstory, something that's shared with many other characters in the game who also have different names, appearances, personalities, motivations, and relationships.

I could be crazy but they are different characters aren't they?

Wasn't the implication that Yda died after ARR and was replaced by Lyse-Yda late in HW, who revealed herself to be Lyse at the end and is now hardcore Lyse in SB.

Or is it that she was really Lyse-Yda all along and we never knew Yda? I wasn't super clear on that, but it seemed like the former.

E: Nope, it was Lyse all along. That's silly. They could have solved the whole thing by just saying Yda didn't die until after ARR. Because yeah, they're really treated as two different people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh boy, this page looks like a bunch of CIA communications so I guess I should hurry up and finish the MSQ...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Too many jobs look too cool and fun and I'm having a very difficult time deciding. I got Red Mage to 60 and I kind of want to get one other job to 60 before I decide which one to do the Stormblood MSQ on, but I can't decide between Bard, Machinist, and Black Mage.

(I should probably just do Stormblood right now on Red Mage but those other jobs are really calling my name.)

I know I've asked already how Machinist and Black Mage are in Stormblood. How about Bard? I know people are pretty happy about the removal of cast times, at least. Is its basic gameplay fun? How about its AoE? (One of the things I don't like about Red Mage is how boring the AoE is.)

I don't wanna tell you how to play but.... please stop grinding and enjoy Stormblood already :smith: The story is really good and way better than doing 1000 runs of POTD or pvp again

I used to have alt-itis in old MMOs and I really regretted constantly hopping classes and not seeing endgame while everybody else was enjoying the content. You can always level alts later. You can level the MSQ later too, but... do it now while its hot and everybody's into it and running it nonstop :) In past MMOs I regretted it and I try to make myself stick to something now as a result.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It's more that I'm trying to finish the 3.x stuff so I can finally start Stormblood and I don't really want to spend a few hours queuing for 50/60 dungeons to finish the quests. I only really wanted to unlock them for when I do the 50/60 roulette. Guess I'll just pause the MSQ for a while and do them so the quests stop bugging me.

50/60 dungeons should all be required for MSQ, so the only thing you're talking about is like hard modes for old dungeons which nobody does anymore anyways so just drop those quests and move on with your life.

You do not need to do anything other than MSQ to unlock the 50/60 dungeon queue.

Get to SB already please, Harrow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pissdude posted:

Or you could just... swap classes on the fly as you go through SB content? There's nothing making you stick to just one class as you go through SB. Just enjoy it, don't agonize over small stuff. You're going to burn yourself out with that approach

Uh, MSQs have level requirements. If you have 3 classes at 60 and you swap between them as you go through SB, you're going to hit a level requirement wall pretty drat fast because you'll be splitting that XP between those 3 classes, and then have to grind dungeons on that class to progress. Then if you swap classes again... you're right back there.

Like you can but... not really.

Mordiceius posted:

Lord Hien is a Varian Wrynn that doesn't suck rear end.

He's a Varian that doesn't mind smiling, so he's no Varian at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I just figured it'd be good to have those unlocked for the 50/60 roulette, that's all. And maybe I'm weird but I get annoyed seeing all these blue quests on my map that I have no intention of doing but that will never go away.

I'm pretty positive those aren't included in the dungeon roulette. Extremes aren't part of the trials roulette, right?

Just drop them. Or if you're going to do them, loving do them. But you don't want to... so just let go. Its okay. You can always pick them up later if you need to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Hard modes are definitely in roulettes, why wouldn't they be?

Like I just said, ex primals aren't in the trials roulette, right? I just figured. Also haven't seen one pop but I haven't done but two of the 50/60 roulettes so far since the queues are so long for dps.

And past roulettes required you to do everything to unlock them first, right? Maybe I'm crazy but I thought I remembered having to do all kinds of stuff to be able to do them first. I figured I had everything since I could already do it, although now that I think about it there's 59-60 dungeons I haven't done yet since I'm still 58 so the 50/60 wouldn't be available if it really worked that way.

But good to know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Ex primals are fun tho and you can smash most of the old ones pretty good with an unsynced party

Yep and I did that just the other day with some chill goons. No loving drops though :argh:

Harrow posted:

You don't have to unlock everything to unlock the roulette itself, but you do have to unlock a dungeon for it to appear in the roulette. Basically, unlocking more dungeons just gives you more variety when you do the 50/60 roulette. That's why I was running around picking up the dungeon unlock quests, so that when I do the roulette there are more than a handful of dungeons I can get. I just didn't really know what the best option was once I got to the point where the dungeon is unlocked and I have to do it to complete the quest, especially with DPS queues meaning queuing for each one would take like a half hour each just to get in.

With the 50/60 yes, I get that. But I was saying before it was different. When did they add the 50/60 roulette? I feel like that wasn't even a thing when I unsubbed, there was some other roulette that you had to do everything for. But maybe I'm mis-remembering. But yes, I know. And I know the queues are long. I get it. That's all obvious and tangential to what I was saying before.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 25, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Thanks for the RDM advice. Was definitely overthinking it.

So, who can tell me what I did wrong in the SAM job quest on the boat that I lost twice, and barely survived with Echo and kiting the fake samurai while chugging potions on attempt 3?

Use third eye more and... IDK play SAM properly?

I had to use 2 potions but I did it first try.

Did you use role skills? bloodbath or whatever is pretty good for keeping your health up.

Countblanc posted:

As a straight married male, on a serious note: the females of this game do not appeal to me. On the male side you have Haurchefant being flawless, Aymeric giving me an Aragorn level broner, Estinien literally giving me chills whenever he's on camera, Thancred being the kind I'd wanna get stupid drunk with and now Hien who I'm sure will grow on me.

For the girls I don't really feel it. Minfilia gives off a useless vibe, the queens are boring, Ysayle is bae but moody as hell, Lyse is helpless and Yugiri is ok I guess.

I want a hot npc waifu with a better story!

Minfilia is the worst but so far she's not even in SB (thank gently caress)

Lyse is cool. And the badguy lady who smokes the pipe is pretty cool.

Thancred is the most boring character I can think of in any FF so I don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the male characters. Aymeric was okay but boring as gently caress, Estinien was okay but boring as gently caress... they're all 1-dimensional.

You're talking about female characters and you forget the single coolest character in SB: Alisae :psyduck: Replacing Alphinaud's lovely lovely poo poo poo poo with her badassness is the best thing Stormblood did.
How can you say all the male characters are good and female ones are bad? He's literally the worst ever and she's the best.

gently caress I think I actually like Minfilia more than Alphinaud.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Merlwyb and Sylphie (from the Conjurer story) are the only female characters who have impressed me so far. Nanamo, Senna, and Minfilia all give me the distinct impression of being wise and beautiful and charismatic and will never do anything of note on camera, much less follow you into combat.

I wanted to throttle Sylphie at first, but by the time my character graduated from conjurer to white mage she'd managed to grow on me.

Alisaie