Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How likely is it that I can get into a static as a samurai

Should I just get a healer to 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

isk posted:

Temple of the Fist, 2nd boss -

The last boss of temple is gonna be fun to revisit when we're more geared since you can get like 20 damage up orbs. I hit a non-direct crit for 33k, if that had direct crit it would have been nearly 50k.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
SAM at 70 is real good and fun

also trying to get WHM to 70, i'm enjoying it a lot now and it's pretty fun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm on the fence about the stone 4 animation, i liked stone 3 more

what exactly does WHM shine in? Like in a raid environment why would you bring a WHM

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
like it seems like they're designed to dump big fat heals on people and then throw rocks at primals but i dont know why that would necessarily be preferable over anything else (or if it would be)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Lakshmi EX is significantly easier than Susano EX.

Use the party finder, though, don't just random queue into a group.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How's 4.0 MCH? It looks somehow even more complicated, but also kinda neat.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
With the new Bard, how exactly do you AoE? You only get bloodletting procs in MB so I assume that's involved somehow, but idk how.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Wait, there's one in Rhalgar's Reach?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

carbuncle house is good

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
WHM feels REALLY good at 70. Was dicking around in Emanation EX and I felt like I had an answer to basically every situation. Granted, the 70 ability seems entirely useless and I don't remember stacking confessions...ever. But other than that it was great. Still not sure which abilities are her tank busters though.

I will say, DPS is nice, but nothing beats the feeling of timing a Medica perfectly and watching health ping pong back up to full after an aoe.

Also what Role actions are people usually taking? I'm still on the fence about a few of them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Shy posted:

whm? mine are protect, lucid dreaming, swiftcast, esuna and largesse.
for protect I remember somebody posted a macro that would temp switch it from a different ability out of combat so you could potentially sneak in another one

e: I'm curious about eye for an eye but with this cooldown it has to be the hail mary button, everything else seems useless? Except rescue which is pretty cool but probably pointless outside of coordinated groups

Eye for an Eye is great for scholars because they can Deploy it (for some reason)

I'm running what you are but with Rescue instead of protect (because of the macro)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

The 60 MCH experience going forward has been pretty good if only because every couple levels you get something that makes your rotation even better.

62? Get that move that finally makes managing heat much easier. 64? Now you actually have a reason to stay above 50 heat and you get some of the best animations. 66? An easy way to fix a mistake that made you overheat or dip below Heated ammo range. 68? Uh.... we don't talk about it. But 70? A (mostly useless but still aesthetically great) flamethrower!

So how is MCH at 70, anyway? It seems slightly better now but I'm not sure. I mean it's doing completely rear end DPS but if it's fun to play then that's what matters. Is it fun?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The running animation with guns is great, unless you're using a gun designed to be comically small, in which case it looks dumb. :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

General consensus is that the actual results are a bit lackluster, and the reward-risk ratio is pretty paltry, especially compared to BRD and its million and one utility options.

That said, running on all cylinders feels pretty great, and you're not as do-or-die by Wildfire like in HW. 64/66 is pretty much how you should gauge if you like the job or not, since Overload is terrible and Flamethrower doesn't really do anything in serious fights (unless you've somehow landed the scenario of overheating and with Barrel Stabilizer on cooldown).

If nothing else, MCH is very good in PvP. And it's a pretty fun job overall.

I mean if it's fun, that's what matters.

What's MCH AoE, anyway? AoE turret and Spread Shot while you keep HS up and make sure your heat doesn't gently caress up?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi i have an MCH question since people seem to know what they're talking about

if reload is down and i'm just spamming my 123 combo with no procs, when Quick Reload comes off CD should I split shot or slug shot? it's only one guaranteedc proc so i'd think slug shot would be smarter since i can clean shot after but i dont know what the right move is, i assume someone knows

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What ilvl is Omega gear expected to be? I'm assuming something around 320, I can't imagine it'd be less than EX primals but I don't know how this has gone in the past

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
servers are up if anyone cares

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's the strategy for gearing in Omega? I've never been gearing when it was current. Just run through 1-4 and get whatever tokens you can, or prioritize the chest/legs tokens? I guess if you're solo it's different, but assuming it's a static, what do people usually do?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

these new hats are good

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just picked up botany, can I (eventually) make good money with this

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
They're almost certainly using ACT

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon King posted:

After a few months of grinding, I finally have the Archon Throne.

Wait how did you get your hair like that?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon King posted:

There is a bug in the character creator, I've already made a bug report and opened a ticket about it for Square.

i don't suppose you'd be willing to share the bug

edit: i will paypal u $4

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 8, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are gathering classes a way to make gil at higher levels reliably, or do you need to combine it with crafting disciplines to really make money? Currently I've been spamming BTN because it's kinda fun, inexplicably, but I'm not sure it's going to be worth maxing out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't need to be rich, but it'd be nice to have a decent amount saved up so I can splurge on something if I want to. Crafting has been surprisingly fun and relaxing, and I've heard it gets more fun at 50+ so I'm looking forward to it.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 8, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm a Botanist, is there anything specific I should be doing like making sure I fill out my gathering log, or am I fine to just power through leves and making sure I gather the HQ turn ins before I'm the level of the quest so I'm ready ahead of time?

I have no idea how you get the nice Ironworks gear, I'll figure that out eventually I guess.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Emalde posted:

I assume you're using 26, 4 (203) for the purple, for whatever reason it creates a different shade of purple for players than the NPC they originally used it for. Because it's a "valid" highlight, it interacts interestingly with the debug hair (the neon red thing, which is basically the equivalent to valve's black/purple checkerboard for the hair palette in this game) and creates that tiedye thing you have going on:

If you use the debug color for highlights, it creates an odd solid magenta thing that doesn't gradient into other colors as uh, specifically?

anyway idk how you're doing this but with a hex editor and some patience, anybody can get this rolling, and that includes for the weird eye/skin/etc tones. Not sure how they plan on dealing with characters who actually implement themselves using these off-limits customizations though.

How did you get the debug hair to even show up

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The thing that surprises me the most is you're somehow pushing that data to the server. I've been able to mess around with CE and make weird changes like insanely long tails or stupid stuff with the bust slider but those are all definitely client side.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I undercut 100% of the time I'm selling things, I'll gladly take 50k Gil now instead of 60k in a week

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

What if you could get 59,999 gil now instead of 60,000 in a week?

if i put it up for 59,999 then someone will put theirs up for 59,998 but people are less hesitant to undercut if you're already undercutting harder, or so it seems

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon King posted:

Not really, its about playing with RGB color value blending.
Hair value: 255,0,0
Highlight value: 109,81,239
This makes it so Highlight's red color blending cannot be noticed which allows blue and green to blend clearly.

Use a vec3 lerp between these two and you'll get something like this gradient image here.

im on to you you son of a bitch

it took a while but i know exactly what you did and how you did it

i'm surprised that bug actually works, you'd think they'd have more checks in place for that

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i am 100% sure it's bannable so i probably shouldn't explain

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 8, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They used a hex editor on a saved appearance data file, because those are all stored locally, and changed the haircolor to an invalid one. Probably used a benchmark-generated file to do it, too.

Not exactly, if you do that the game reverts it when you load the character, you have to do it when your character is open and online but the game is allowing you to make changes to your character appearance. There isn't a server side check for that, inexplicably.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon King posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

Yeah if you hex edit your hair color when you're at the aesthetician (and assuming it's hair colors the game recognizes, like the debug color, not neon green or something) it's permanent, there's no server side check to see if you have a valid haircolor. Not sure if it works for skin color, pretty sure you can't change that at the haircut elf station.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
did i figure out a different bug than the one you used

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6m3tww/blm_fire_iv_and_40/

holy poo poo the arr rotation is better than the 4.x one

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

A Spider Covets posted:

Man, you can really confuse the game with the saved character appearance .dats. I just made it change species in the creator (it reverts to default appearance).

Weird and not useful in any way, but cool to see how it works.

I'm also joining the "how did SE miss this" crowd, although I haven't found the color values yet. I wonder how they're planning on fixing it. :psyduck:

They probably can't.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 9, 2017