Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I got a half-goon party with me and we one-shot it at like 1 AM PST so I feel incredibly blessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its a massive tank nerf is what it is.

As far as difficulty in staying ahead on hate, that's not really a problem if your OT and MT have shirk. Shirk is so good. Shirk during max dps opener if any DPS gets close and then shirk immediately after provoke on any swaps.

If you really wanna get coordinated you could OT Provoke, MT shirk then provoke, OT shirk and get an near insurmountable lead instantly.

With a good enough threat lead you can actually maintain hate forever without ever attacking just because of the fact that Provoke+Shirk scales exponentially, which is pretty hilarious.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Countblanc posted:

forget wind-up khloe, give me wind-up rowena

I thought this said wind-up Ravana and I think I want that more tbh.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Countblanc posted:

he should sing the ravana theme in a squeaky little bug voice

Make it yell out quotes and 'attack' when you're in combat.

Dance to the song of ringing steel!

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 27, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FisheyStix posted:

I'm kind of in this same boat. On the one hand, I already have DRK at 60. On the other hand, PLD looks so cool, now. On the other other hand, PLD is level 50 and I don't wanna drive myself insane by doing palace of the dead another million times. And... on the other other other hand, their AF3 looks sooooo cooooool

The nice thing about leveling a tank is that you can also do 5060 and LDR instead of PotD (and Palace doesn't give you more XP after 60 anyway, so it starts to drop off). The downside is that if you do 5060 you won't get to play with any of your fun 52-58 toys until you hit 60, and if you do LDR you have a good shot at getting Sastasha or some poo poo.

I was in the same boat as you at the start (60 DRK, 46 PLD) and I've gotten my PLD to 55 just by doing a couple roulettes with it. Should be able to hit 70 in a couple weeks.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I've got a sudden hankering to take another look at BLM after work. How did they turn out in Stormblood? The only thing I know is Enochian being tied to AF/UI uptime, I don't know anything about what abilities they got.

How hard they direct critting nowadays? :v:

Losing Raging Strikes and the crit nerf hurt the huge numbers somewhat but I've gotten 22k direct crit fouls at i293 or so, maybe like 16k Fire IV direct crits.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm fairly firmly anti-trolling in MMOs but holy poo poo those people need to get shoved into some loving lockers

well good news for you because that post is almost definitely someone trolling

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It would still be bad. In high end content you don't just slam your cooldowns every time they're available. They're organized to hit specific phases of the fight, and to avoid specific phases of the fight.

Getting defensive cooldowns early won't matter if you need to save them for the next tankbuster anyways, and getting dps cooldowns up don't matter if you have to wait through one of the many movement or invulvn phases. You might be able to sneak in an extra dps burst window maybe, but then it depends on drawing that spear in the right time of the fight. Otherwise you're going to play it safe and use CDs when you know they give the most effectiveness.

Sure it works nice in dungeon content, but in organized raids CDR abilities that you can't control just aren't that good.

On the other hand, imagine being able to tank ult twice as often. It'd be pretty wacky.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FisheyStix posted:

The first queue I did after reading this was Sastasha and I am holding you personally responsible! :argh:

There's nothing more aggravating than getting Sastasha when everyone involved is like level 40 or above.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just imagine if they found a way to put the same mark on all the rocks, or scramble random marks onto all the rocks. :allears:

Or completely black out the target's UI so they can't see where they are!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

That's the most efficient way to use your MP, but I've heard some debate about whether it's worth the bother of using Fire 2 at all, rather than just jumping straight to Flare and going through the entire cycle faster. I'm not an expert though.

I've also heard debate about whether using T4 is worthwhile at all. Honestly I'm a little tempted to just sit down and math it out myself.

(Fun fact: at something like 28 enemies, F2 is actually more potency/second than Flare because of the falloff.)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kettlepip posted:

What are you talking about? They already are able to be cleared by any non brain dead group. They're a walk over and have been since everything after Thordan, dying in 2-4 pulls from scratch The problem is you are playing with brain dead people or are bad.

You're right, I just keep forgetting to click the 'only show me good parties' button in PF. My bad.

Maguoob posted:

There is a cap on the number of enemies an ability can actually hit, and I'm certain it is less than 28.

Aw.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how much of the relative difficulty of the current crop of four mans is down to currently being in weaker gear, how much is due to new/more complicated/annoying mechanics (2nd boss of Temple of the Fist oh my gaawwwwwwd) and how much is the devs explicitly turning up the numbers knob.

Fist 2nd boss is utter hell on BLM, let me tell you.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

Using capital letters for a second to show my sincerity: your mistake was not doing the EX primals earlier. The longer a fight's been out the worse the PF pool gets, since a lot of the people in those groups are players so bad they've been trying to clear for a long time and have been lobtomizing any group they join. For stuff introduced in future patches, if you don't have a static and are looking to clear, I'd seriously advise you to get your clear in the first day, three at the outside. Even Zurvan, who was eating Party Finder clear groups alive right up until the Stormblood launch, was really easy to clear in PF on the first couple of days.

"Get a clear in the first three days" is generally good but it's completely useless advice for expansion launch primals. I was gunning for 60 as fast as I could but I'm only now hitting the i300 requirement today because I've just been doing EXDR and 5060 for tomes, but I'm going to be out for the next few days to see family anyway.

The other problem is I'm a DPS player so it's just harder to find parties in general.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

holy poo poo

I don't get it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Minrad posted:

it's kind of weird that they added a psuedo heal that scales on tank hp after removing lustrate's %age heal

I'm pretty sure the reason for that is because they didn't want SCHs staying in Cleric and dumping Lustrates into the tank. Now it doesn't matter.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Minrad posted:

he was being nice in chat but the context was him standing in hallways and entering his cpose idle stance any time an extra mob was pulled by accident or otherwise.

in like a hundred potd runs I've not had a group where they're actively clearing/looting rooms to the extreme deteriment of the run, and the slowest runs are usually ones where some guy needs to stop clearing the potd to stop and let everyone know how much faster it would go if they were as fast as them.

I've definitely had groups that wanted to fullclear even when we were at 60 but after a single party message saying 'hey, we don't need to do that' I just went along with it cause I wasn't gonna change their minds.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

has anyone else noticed a lot of tanks uh...not tanking? in lldr i've gotten three tanks in a row that would lose aggro in trash pulls and make no effort at all to get it back. no aoes on pulls, barely any enmity combos, no matter how much i asked.

I've definitely noticed tanks having problems holding aggro off me as a BLM. They've also all been WARs. I have no clue if that's a coincidence.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Emnity seems a bit harder than I was used to (probably the loss of vit dps), now with level 66 tanks. What I am noticing as a healer is a string of tanks that multi pull and then don't pop cooldowns, or pop convalescence or awareness and expect them to matter one poo poo.

I'm pretty sure Convalescence is one of the better cooldowns, since from a 'incoming heals - incoming damage' perspective it basically takes 17% off incoming damage. So it's slightly weaker than Rampart.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

It doesn't effect OGCD heals, though, so depending on the class it's a lot lower than that.

You mean it doesn't affect Lustrate/Tetra/Essential Dignity? That's surprising.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

There's a handful of fights with guaranteed crits, one of Shiva's stances for one, bow stance I think?

T11 has an add with guaranteed crits during geometry wars, and the A5S shabti has it as well.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

With regards to tanking:

Is there any good way to figure out what Dark Mind works on? It's by far my biggest problem with Dark Knight and I actually end up forgetting it exists more than I like simply because outside of the really obvious ones I'm never 100% sure. (I tend to assume that anything beamy/energy-y is a magic attack but am never 100% sure.)

ACT will tell you, but other than that not really. It's dumb.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

I have, and on four or five enemies, your potency/second is marginally higher if you skip the F2s, while on six+enemies a pair of F2s mildly wins out.

IMO they need to slightly up F2's potency so that the intuitive AoE rotation is always the correct one but we're in pretty good shape either way.

What about T4, do you always want to keep it going?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gearhead posted:

Keep in mind that, the iconic Samurai in the Japanese mind is a man filled with arrows like a 300 remake, still holding the line because This Is His Final Service/Ultimate Glory.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

widespread posted:

I know the fancier Quest Markers and the Next Quest thing is a good thing to follow but uh, the SIDEquests. The non-class non-story ones.

The ones with the blue icons and the +s are worth doing because they'll unlock something, but the 'ordinary' ones are generally skippable.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

So to get, like, limit break screenshots or other encounter screenshots do people really just go into /gpose mid fight? :raise:

/gpose copies the last action you took, so if you want to take a limit break screenshot you just make sure you don't do anything after the LB. It still works out of combat.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sarrisan posted:

oh I thought he was talking about the hud, I didn't know you could gpose a limit break out of combat.

Combat action gposes got introduced in 4.0. I haven't tried them out but they seem pretty neat.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just get rid of all the stats but item level and make it do different things on different jobs. Easy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

Actually this statement is true in both parts. The mounts we have are FF6 style and these new mounts are a different FF6 style!

Both are great as heck.

Or you could be like me and say 'nuts to BIS by the time I can get a body via tokens I can get a body via tomestones so I'll just go with that thank you.'

The flip side is that if you buy the body then you won't be buying a weapon.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Run it with 8 goons?

Also :lol: at only 20 runs. When they first added Alex normal I remember running some turns more than 20 times with a full 8 premade because it only dropped 2 tokens at a time and you could easily have multiple runs where a specific token (like a shaft) simply did not drop at all. The current token system is fine.

Considering how it can be hard to even find a group for EXDR sometimes I don't think 'just find 7 other people to do 4-8 runs of each floor of Omega' is as easy as you make it seem.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I've literally never had trouble. I queue in and get into a ExDR in a couple of minutes at most each time. It usually pops in 30 seconds.

I made the mistake of enjoying a DPS job so I have to beg for some kind goon from FC/linkshells to let me leech their tank/healer queue.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So do the Nidhogg/Estinien and Louisoix/Bahamut minions. I don't know if there are any other pairs.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm pretty sure that more spellspeed would favor F2 since it means you'll spend more of your rotation waiting for mana ticks. In the absurd limit where you have a 0-second GCD then you'd want to cast as many spells as possible.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

It's just the shine of newness. Like how ARR became the worst ever garbage once HW came out.

I do like Omega better, but that's because FFV is amazing and "My Scar" Mide goes from kinda corny to super hokey in the Alexander story arc.

There were definitely people complaining about Alexander's story even in HW. Also people complaining about the early design of things like the A2 fight (it turns out that 'three pulls of trash, followed by a boss fight that's pure trash' isn't really enjoyable).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm having a really, really rotten week and I'm thinking about spending the last $20 that I budgeted for this steam sale and getting the base game.

Yea/Nay?

You can get by fine with the base game until you get to level 50 unless you want to make an au ra (the dragon/lizard people), and by then you should know whether or not you want to put the $40 down for Storm Blart: Ala Mhigan Cop.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Nah, already rolled a catgirl.

Side note: The emote game in this thing is off the loving hook.

Already did! A friend warned me about that so I logged in before heading to work and made one there (I'm in South America, so I'm a bit ahead time-wise).

Catgirl emotes are like peak anime. Make sure to try out /gpose too so you can add fancy effects!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Here are two of my recent caster outfits:

e: Also I kinda like the original BLM, it makes sense that someone that regularly works with raw elements would have a thick leather outfit.

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 5, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just say "oh gently caress nice, 93 on the spring" in /party regardless of whatever you actually rolled.

(don't actually do this)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

All the combat animations are the same across all races/genders AFAIK.

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I tanked some in HW as DRK and the thing that always annoyed me was that against bosses you're basically always doing a really simple combo. It's fun when you're pulling a shitload of mobs at once and hitting cooldowns in pairs just to stay alive, but given that the bosses actually hit less hard outside of savage/EX stuff it just felt boring. Same thing with healer DPSing.