Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i just started playing this the other day, currently level 20 in arcanist and marauder. haven't touched any of the crafting or gathering classes. any hot tips for a beginner?

also i notice that when people talk about tanking they pretty much always talk about paladin. is warrior worse at tanking? because it apparently has a mechanic called "beast gauge" which makes me want to be one, but i wanna know if i'm wasting my time in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so now that i'm settled, how does the fc work w/r/t worlds? can i not join if i'm not on excalibur?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

This happened when I was playing last year, but I remember that Cid and alphinau and friends encounter some empire/ex-empire (what's the empire's deal again, other than being fascists?) dude in a temple/dungeon who claims to have changed his ways, and I'm clearly supposed to recognize and distrust the rear end in a top hat but I haven't a clue who he was or what any of it was about. I think the name was Nero? He had some kind of gem in his face iirc.

In my most recent story quest as of restarting last night, I'm bringing a guy a crate that was like 10 meters away. And then retracing my steps to bring him things from the crate that I "dropped." Incredible :cripes:

the empire wants to kill all the primals (summons) by killing all the beast tribes that summon them and also they want to take over the world. they all have gems in their faces, and they can't use magic, so they use technology to compensate. cid used to be the empire's best engineer but then he defected to the good guys' side. nero was the empire's second best engineer who was always super pissed at people comparing him to cid, and was one of the officers under ARR's main villain, gaius. you kicked nero's rear end shortly before kicking gaius's rear end, and then apparently he left the empire on some kind of journey of self discovery.

he appeared in like three scenes across the entirety of ARR so it's understandable that you don't remember him.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

So I've been leveling an Arcanist (to play Summoner later since it sounded interesting when people described it), and Summoner really doesn't get poo poo for abilities before 50, huh? Was looking at their skill list and it seems like almost all their significant mechanics are learned after 50.

yeah i've always found summoner pretty mind-numbing right up until 60

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
naming my character seymour butz probably accounts for like 90% of my commends

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i hit 70 just in the last week. took my first steps into eureka tonight and then left ten minutes later because it's even dumber than people made it sound. i never knew it was a loving 8-man duty. why can't it just be a zone? how did this make it all the way through the development cycle without anyone saying "wait, this is aggressively terrible and makes me want to gouge my eyes out"?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Brainamp posted:

But it is a zone? An instanced one, but certainly able to fit a bunch of people.

oh, i guess i misunderstood. the game says you can go in with a party of 8 and treats it like a duty, so i assumed it was a party-only instance. and i didn't see anybody else there, but i didn't really explore much. oh well, still probably never going back.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i mean a primal's strength is also stated to vary depending on how many crystals are used to summon it. unless that's also been quietly retconned.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
p sure there's a button to focus on whatever your current target is targeting, which in most cases is going to swap you from main tank to boss and vice versa.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Doomhammer posted:

I don't like tanking, I probably wouldn't tank even were I good at it. It is not enjoyable to me, being either too stressful or too boring at any one time. I was just making a crack at squadron healers being bad, sheesh.

this is p much my exact feelings about healing.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm not asking anyone to dps less, just please, for the love of god, use diversion and lucid dreaming so i can dps. fell cleave gives me life.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty much. And then she was never cured of her affliction. :(

yeah but that affliction shouldn't be as big of a deal at this point. maybe. i don't think it ever actually explained what it did, but at least it shouldn't mean exile for life from ishgard.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
warrior 60-70 is high art, and the bard quests from heavensward on are also real good. can't speak for a whole lot else, since those along with summoner and dragoon are about the only ones i've touched.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i literally never tanked in an mmo before starting ffxiv, and now i'm a warrior main. if i can do it you can too.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
let me target party members with holmgang.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Little late on this, but being afraid to run low on TP is the ice mage of melee.

It makes me feel like

nice upskirt

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i liked bounty hunter in swtor, particularly one scene on alderaan where some dickbag noble wanted you to do a fetch quest before he'd tell you where a mark was and you had the option to just beat the poo poo out of him and murder his bodyguards instead. never finished the storyline though, the game just isn't all that fun to play imo.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i will not stand for this slander of my beloved failson.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Empyreal Arrow will forever hold a special place in my heart because of the sound effect. It sounds like popping two caps in someone's rear end.

yeah but refulgant sounds like a huge loving laser gun.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We don't talk about sub-51 Summoner.

sub-51 is honestly being generous imo. i'd say sub-60.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Harrow posted:

I haven't tried MCH yet, but fuckin' agreed on BRD. I don't understand how BRD is fun for anyone. It feels like it has a bunch of mechanics layered on top of one another specifically to add complexity and for no other reason. I'm just constantly scrambling to hit whatever just lit up while also trying to make sure my songs keep rolling while also trying to make sure I keep up my buff and DoTs and...

There are parts of BRD I love. I love the animations. I love the song weaving. I love having a few little support abilities I can throw out there. But throw in all the other stuff, all the procs and DoTs and buffs and charges, and it's just a total mess. I don't really want it to change much because people who play it clearly love it and if I don't like it I can just play a different job, but man I just can't understand why anyone would subject themselves to it.

I think my ideal job would be like, what if RDM but it had Ranged DPS role actions. Something like that.

i like having a rotation that's relatively freeform and gives me things to react to, instead of "press these exact buttons in this exact order, forever". also mage's ballad on big groups is the closest state to divinity that mortals can reach.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
is the free world transfer available yet or is that coming later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was joking about the Kingdom Hearts thing, but now I noticed this Lalafell has silver hair and yellow eyes. :tinfoil:

NEVER WITHOUT THEIR HELMETS

NEVER WITHOUT THEIR BEARDS

*shows a picture of a dwarf without a helmet or beard*