Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

Samurai's got more complexity than I was expecting, actually, and it might be kinda tricky to keep up Sen but not clip your dots/buffs, especially on AoE pulls.

think of it this way: the faster you completely destroy a single target the less competitive your teammates' AOE becomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raubahn is the most successful primal in Eorzea's history

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't understand how their infrastructure is *so bad* that they can only handle 11 solo duty instances at any given time. Like, how did this not become a problem during ARR/Heavensward? The playerbase is, what, a million or so? They never EVER had more than 11 people doing a solo duty instance at any one time, ever before?

Their justification is that letting more people through Raubahn Savage would lead to server instability in the later zones, but right now on Leviathan there's like thousands of people all hanging out in the Fringes (spread out over a few instances) doing FATE swarms and such and the servers are handling that just fine. Letting more people through so you have like 500 people in a later zone is too much for the servers to handle?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reddit posted:

supermarble94 [score hidden] 7 minutes ago

Fun stuff, so, if you manage to get into an instance server, that instance might crash. If it does, you'll get 90k'd and be unable to log back in until that instance would have expired. What's more, is that specific instance will be unavailable for other people to use until you are able to get back in the game. This is why it's so congested right now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm not even mad anymore. I'm just depressed. Even if I get past Raubahn eventually, I could just end up with the Susano bug, rendering my character completely unplayable with the devs saying they won't have a fix for several days.

What's even the point of trying to play this expansion anymore... I was so excited, too. I really, really wanted to finally see the Xaela homeland in Othard. I wanted to charge into a new MMO expansion with all my friends for the first time in a long time. And that's not happening now because the lucky few who got through Raubahn yesterday are way ahead and I just... gently caress. Yeah, yeah, "go do something else you loser." Don't bother replying with it. I'm doing other things. I'm just really loving sad because I loved this game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Same here, so disappointed that I cancelled my pre-order with Amazon and just uninstalled the game, cancelling my service account. I already decided 2 weeks ago to do this but a friend convinced me to stay (even though I've played since 2013 and am burned out). I'm not in any rush to do the MSQ so wanted to just level last night, but non stop 90k's in the middle of dungeons, then back to a 1500 person queue, so frustrating. For me it's SE's complete silence and lack of any support or updates at all that drives me crazy. It's like they could really care less. Then I LOVE the people defending them by saying "You didn't pay for early access..." Like excuse me?? That's like buying a car, and them saying "If you buy it before Friday, we'll include the snow tires for free." Then you get the car and there's no snow tires, and when you complain they say "well it's not like you PAID for them anyway, just deal with it." Like give me a break.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I still don't understand the logic of "we are deliberately bottlenecking this so later zones don't crash the server" when it just means that everyone hangs out in the Fringes anyway -- and the servers seem to be completely fine with that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6hwz6k/raubhan_savage_guide/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Now that I can finally get past Father & Son, geez, the plot for Stormblood is already shaping up to be way better than Heavensward's. The Garlean Empire this time around is actually very hateworthy and I'm already looking forward to mounting the villains' heads on the end of my sword.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Minrad posted:

modern textures so zones dont look like chess boards and cities being able to be one zone like kugane is the nicest thing ever

please don't ever come back, ps3

:yeah:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really wish RDM had a bit more depth/complexity to their rotation. Something like an additional effect to Fire/Stone that would make actually stacking Black or White mana to the detriment of Balance compelling would have been great. Like, get extra damage up from +30 to +50 mana disparity then immediately dump it to get back to balance, or something like that, like MCH's cooldown mechanic.

RDM right now feels really simplistic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

As a Paladin main I'm still doing basically the same things for dungeons/instances as I was in Heavensward, the buttons I press are just slightly different.

The primary difference I notice is I have to go to my enmity combo much more frequently now compared to before, which is essentially an effective dps loss. That's about it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Th-the whole point if the class is balancing the two.

Yes, that's correct. However, with RDM there is no internal or external mechanical pressure that would lead to imbalance, aside from the player forgetting to check their mana.

So the class boils down to Jolt/Impact -> Verlongcast -> Vershortcast -> Verlongcast, where you cast the appropriate flavor (and flavor is all it is, since the spells are identical apart from type of mana gained. Are there any fights in the game that even care about type of elemental damage?) of Shortcast and Longcast according to which mana you have less of. Once you have enough mana you dive in, 1, 2, 3, dive out, Vernuke (again choose flavor according to which mana is lower).

The oGCDs don't change this pattern. Fleche and Contre Sixte have no interaction with the rest of the kit, Acceleration simply means you're less likely to need to resort to Jolt/Impact, Manafication means you go in at 40 instead of 80, you use Embolden almost always during your melee combo or timed with the rest of the party/raid for spike damage.

Of the DPS jobs I've tried they're by far the simplest. A bit more mechanical depth would be wonderful to have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ruby Sea shows the flaws of the quest tracking system, you can only track five quests at any given time and the map doesn't tell you at all if there's a quest objective nearby you could do if you aren't tracking it. And toggling which quests you're tracking in the journal is inexplicably slow.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I literally don't remember who any of the garleans are or what they did after the backseat they took in pretty much all of heavensward so I hope stormblood reminds me

All the Garleans you meet in Stormblood are new, so don't worry.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holy Spirit really completely changes the Paladin game, what an amazing addition. PLD combat went from brainless 1-2-3 to keeping multiple things up and rolling. Looking forward to Passage of Arms.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Susano fight is insanely loving hype

Complaining about quests is dumb. Don't do them if you feel ready to move on with the MSQ and leave them for an alt or something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The preorder bonus letter asks us to forget all about Blue Mage :smith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Haha yeah one whole fifty cent coin

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't care if tanks get nerfed as long as we get to do more cool poo poo like the Susano fight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

MCH and PLD are enormously improved.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Overheating gives you +15% damage total for 10 seconds in exchange for losing the +5% from gauss barrel and heated skills for 10 seconds after that. There is probably no reason not to overheat with every Wildfire, because that's your burst window.

It takes an eternity to rebuild Heat though, at least until you unlock Flamethrower.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm glad I finished the MSQ Yanxia ending before Leviathan died on me.

That was a good quest chain end, looking forward to the next five levels.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shy posted:

Azim steppe makes me want to fantasia into a dragongirl. And I only started getting used to being a catgirl, drat.

This was posted last night but it should tip the scales for you: http://ojiyaff.tumblr.com/tagged/51scales

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The underwater parts of Othgard feel weirdly empty of fish aside from the spearfishing nodes. If you go into the underwater settlements you can see fish schools moving around but when you're out in the wild swimming the ocean is essentially a sterilized pool.

Cataclysm's Vashj'ir had a ton of fish and marine life swimming around, with the occasional shark and giant whale. I'm disappointed that FF14 doesn't have an equal amount of ocean fauna or even an Emerald Weapon to suddenly loom up on you out of the depths to make you jump in your seat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Squenix will never make a sequel to that. :negative:

A sequel to what exactly?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I finally hit RDM68 and have VerFlare. Surprisingly, I haven't really had balance troubles with it so far. Figured only having one of the two finishers would cause issues.

Turns out RDM "balance" is mostly an illusion and you can rig things very, very easily to have less Black than White mana to consistently trigger Verflare's proc.

Once you have Verholy then there's basically no point in bothering and you just cast whatever fits your current meter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

How likely is it that I can get into a static as a samurai

Should I just get a healer to 70

It's only 8 people. Forming a group is really easy to do, just round up some friends and fill in the rest. FF14 raiding isn't anything like the early WoW days.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

OK so paladin is stupidly overpowered right now. My similarly geared, similarly skilled warrior co-tank only does about 3/4 of my dps on Susan EX, and I even spend more time in tank stance than him. It's like bizarro world after HW. Hopefully this gets adjusted before Savage starts.

WAR and DRK sucking doesn't make PLD overpowered.

I look forward to your buffs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All the commendations I give out are ironic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Harrow posted:

Yeah, if there's anything that ends up pushing me to BLM eventually, it'll be the AoE. RDM AoE is so drat boring. It needs a little nuance, y'know? Even past the pre-52 "all you can do is spam Scatter" part (which, really, BLM has a long stretch of "all you can do is spam Fire II until you need to regenerate MP" anyway), it's still pretty much just that, punctuated with brief moments of "dash in and spam something different a few times." It helps that Contre Sixte is maybe my favorite skill animation in the game, but I'm using that for single-target, too, so it's not like it's something special and cool that RDM AoE has.

Meanwhile, as a BLM, you set up Thunder IV, get yourself some Umbral Hearts, swap to Astral Fire, and go nuts with Fire II, throwing out Foul when you have Polyglot and Flare when you're almost out of MP. And then if Triplecast is up, you can instead just blast the hell out of everything with Flare -> Flare -> Convert -> Flare, or replace Convert and Flare with a Foul if you've got a Polyglot to use, and while there's not a ton of nuance to that it looks like it has to be so satisfying.

And this is the other thing. Really, I think the way I feel about RDM can best be described as "deeply conflicted." I think it's a really cool job--both in that I think it has a fun and unique rhythm to it, and because its "cool factor" is off the charts. It helps that I've loved Red Mages ever since I first saw that plumed cap in FF1. And I love Vercure and knowing that my ability to dualcast Verraise has better potential to save a party from a wipe than maybe any other job in the game.

But over the long term, once the new job shine wears off, I could see it just feeling kind of braindead to play. There's a bit of nuance, sure. You want to keep your two colored manas just a bit out of balance so you can get the most out of Verflare/Verholy. You want to use Embolden at the right time and in the right place. When you're doing an AoE pull, you can squeeze in an extra Enchanted Moulinet with Manafication. But there isn't a whole lot else there. I appreciate how straightforward it is, I really do--I'm not a fan of complexity for complexity's sake--but I'm not sure I can see myself playing this job for months on end because eventually the few things about it that are really exciting are going to get routine and there isn't much farther to push it.

This is my exact feelings on Red Mage but expressed better. I immediately saw the problems with the job once I started it, and recognized it wasn't going to get any better at 70. I really wish the job had more complexity to it. MCH apparently sucks right now for damage but playing them is a lot of fun. SAM is strong but they're also fun to play.

I think it's really important that a job has a high skill ceiling that you can't consistently reach all of the time (either due to personal skill or fight mechanics or both) so you always feel like there's something to strive towards.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:iiaca:

Red Mage is automatic transmission, other jobs are manual shift.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

Almost every cast is a decision tree depending on procs and your mana.

What we've been saying is that the decisions are so easy to make that they might as well not exist.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

Now I'm somehow feeling vaguely guilty for playing RDM, the what-is-this-EZ-mode? of DPS jobs apparently :(

You shouldn't. Play what you like, who cares what people on a forum think?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sinteres posted:

The game isn't necessarily anti-faith, but is definitely anti-extremism. Someone wanting to undermine religious study in Ishgard was a villain (even if he was previously a sympathetic victim himself) in a lengthy questline, after all.

What questline is this?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Bosses in this game are certainly visually impressive. Just took down Ifrit, and for the first primal in the story that was already a much more dramatic looking fight than anything I'd expect outside a raid in other MMOs I've played.

You're in for a treat with the rest of the Primals, but wait until you get to the Heavensward bosses. Bismarck and Ravana are really something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

and ifrit's probably the most boring primal in the game so you've got some good poo poo to look forward to

Ramuh is really dull, though possibly that's because of level 50 PLD tanking.