Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

the only explanation for why the story is so much better that I could possibly conceive of is that lyse was one of the story writer's pets or something and everyone was forced to write around that because now that we've moved on the story has considerably improved.

or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Everything seems super hype right now.

I'd advise extreme caution about being upset and jumping to conclusions right now, we're literally getting a entire dev note clarifying blue mage's situation tomorrow, and one day isnt long to wait.

Of course if it turns out blue mage is just a side gimmick then I'll probably be one of the first ones super upset.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

I expected there might be some sort of limitation or stipulation.

I did not expect in my wildest dreams expect them to come up with something so nonsensically brain dead as "yeah we can't let blue mage into the game because instant kill boss spells exist," when in the final fantasy RPGs you have almost never been able to use level X death on bosses. like, this is already a baked in restriction in the single player games where balance matters less!

what the actual gently caress?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

you can't even do deep dungeon????

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

it'd be okay if you could at least use it in endgame dungeons? like, not being able to raid or do extreme primals would blow but okay so long as you can do other relevant content with friends, not - whatever this is.

who wants to run old dungeons just so your friend can play blue mage? and i don't think it's very likely they'll make blue mage so op it can solo any content other classes can't solo at the same level. i guess it'll be nice when helping friends level, but then you always need to have a 4-man group which is - often difficult, and the party finder likely wont be very much help outside of the initial first or second week of blue mage fervor.

i don't really mind the idea of there being like, more solo content in the game, but this just seems like a weird and bad compromise between "hey let's put blue mage in the game" and "hey more solo content." so ultimately this is just another [Sightseeing/Fishing/etc] log. if it had its own spun off flavor that'd probably be fine, but marketing it as "blue mage the job!" was a enormous mistake i think.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Just replace "Blue Mage" with whatever your favorite class is, mentally, if you want to understand why people are upset.

Samurai is now in FFXIV - but with 49 different bushido art you must unlock, at the Samurai Theatere to duel with, and is capped to level 50 (60 in the next expansion!)

Dark Knight is now in FFXIV - but with 49 different dark arts you must unlock, to keep back monster hordes from rising up from the Caves of Darkness, and is capped to level 50 (60 in the next expansion!)

just to use two fairly popular and requested jobs as examples. The actual content itself is a fine diversion idea - the problem being that that blue mage is now no longer even a pipe dream for fans of the class to play with their friends in endgame dungeons and raids, which make up a large bulk of playtime.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

lol

Guess we should delete all things that aren't relevant to end game progression content.

Gold Saucer? Gone.
Housing? Gone.

This isn't World of Warcraft. Not everything has to only be about end-game progression.

The system itself is good in theory (remains to be seen in practice, of course, given the game's somewhat hazy track record with alternate content).

Using blue mage for it was an enormous mistake, and is what makes people upset. The sightseer log doesn't deny a class from being used in the lion's share of content. The gold saucer doesn't deny a class from this. Housing doesn't deny a class from this. Eureka, deep dungeons, et all - systems that don't entirely cut off classes from being used in the majority of gameplay. Blue mage's current implementation denies it use in the lion's share of content, and that is what upsets people.

I get when people say they want to see crazy combos and whatever, but it comes at the cost that said class can no longer be a thing as one of the classes allowed to participate in the majority of relevant content, barring some sort of extremely expensive 180. Blue mage was one of the most popular requests for a class added, which is why it is such a sore spot, since this effectively denies people the dream of blue mage as a class they can play for most of the game for the sake of what is a glorified minigame and way to revisit obsolete content.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Paladin doesnt really need to be changed much to remain pretty much the same as it is right now, since the job gague is right now an afterthought on the class and can be easily repurposed.

Make it so Holy Spirit and Clemency cost the job gauge - say, 20 for spirit, 10 for clemency, out of a total of 100. Make the job gague rapidly replenish to full out of combat.

Put Sheltron back as a CD on XYZ (15?) seconds and remove the cost, do the same for intervention, make sheltron give 20 points or whatever.

Make riot blade give whatever amount of points that lets them have 5-6 holy spirits per requiscat window with some left over for fitting in more holy spirits and clemencies.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Is there ever really a reason to cast Adloquium other than if you're using Deployment Tactics?

edit: I guess maybe before a tank-buster or something?

to add on to what the other poster said, you can aldo inbetween trash packs to put a shield on the tank during downtime, which in turn means more time to dps.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Furnaceface posted:

My armor is only 2 levels below my actual level. All the other slots are level 19-29, so maybe thats part of it.

Also how do I summon the chocobo again?

e: What do quests with the plus sign mean?

You need to Use the Ghysthal Greens item (right click ---> use from your inventory on it). Each one gives you 30 minutes of chocobo action.

As for the +, it means it's a quest that unlocks something (be it a dungeon, a trial, or whatever) and that you should Probably Do It.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

While we're reflecting on it in the build-up to the next expansion: I feel like Stormblood seriously, seriously suffers from having to split its focus across two separate arcs. It caused events to take ages to get to pay-offs in the post-release patches, and ultimately felt like...neither side got as much fleshing out as it should? It lead to the main campaign feeling really spread out and shallow too, what with the main selling point of the expansion (liberate ala mhigo!) being interrupted by Road Trip to Japan, with interesting characters not getting more screen time and non-intereLYSELYSELYSEsting characters not getting the time or focus they needed to maybe be interesting.

They also resolve both "liberation" arcs really quickly, and overall both arcs feel like they're, in spite of being shallower than Heavensward's singular meta arc/road trip, much more condensed with the story beats happening way faster than they should have, leading to me finding Yoyetsu's arc's (itself really bad) conclusion miles more interesting than either....'reinforce' Ala Mhigo or Doma arcs? Which is another problem, it feels like both arcs are just kind of - repeating themselves through different lenses, and while that could potentially be interesting, neither one gets the focus it needs and it winds up being a snorefest. Especially since you have to keep going through buildup for both.

Going back to Yoyetsu's arc for a second, the lack of time for either arc to breathe leads to a issue of - there's a lot of telling going on instead of showing, relying on things like people saying "the empire is coming back, honest!" or (4.3 spoilers)"See Gogetsu's weird rear end protection of Yoyetsu was justified, he had this real sad backstory we're only revealing right now in a text dump!" A really bad story technique that's over-used to heck and makes it a little hard to particularly care about the narrative at times, especially when lyse has her thousandth jerk off about how "oh no i am bad leader because I am saying this now let me Kung Fu Kick a man in the face"

I really hope they just focus on one overarching, strong arc for at least the Shadowbringers release patch, because that felt like a real strength of Heavensward that was lacking this expansion. Overall it was still a enjoyable story, but man it felt like after you got this really nice bagel loaded with cream cheese, they just handed you half the cream cheese and now you've got this still nice bagel but wow the cream cheese is spread WAY too thin.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

I'd have been ultimately okay with it (if still a bit perplexed, given the magnitude of her sins) if they'd decided to go with the whole "oh yeah he's just honorable to a fault" explanation, but instead they chose to throw in a text dump-y explanation at the very end, and it ultimately winds up just being another speed bump in a expansion full of people who can't wait to explain things to you.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Failboattootoot posted:

It fills a niche that is generally unwanted most of the time. Whm healing throughput is the best but it provides overall less dps than sch or ast so once you've got content on farm, whm just isn't adding much. Also, and more broadly maligned, the lily's are probably the actual worst gauge in the game. You get lily's from casting cure 1 and 2, but casting cure 1 and cure 2 are your last resorts assuming you are playing optimally. The benefit of lilys being a cooldown reduction on some skills, which is pretty meh. Holy still dumpsters dungeons but that typically isn't people's balance concern.

Honestly I kind of loathe that aspect of healing. By all means, I do enjoy the whole careful balance aspect of "how many stones can I squeeze in before I have to heal a dude," but I feel like we've got a mix of too many and too strong ogcds. It feels really weird that instead of it being a question of "should I use one of my powerful but on a cooldown heal buttons or just conserve them for now" it's "actually the spells with no cooldown at all are the last resort ones." Especially in easier content like dungeons.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Badger of Basra posted:

I noticed this time there are only patch notes, not preliminary patch notes. Have they ever had a big change between the two in the past? Like something wasn't in the preliminary and showed up in the actual patch notes? Or they took out a change everyone hated?

pretty much usually just typos and minor errors being fixed up, and new crafting recipes are usually withheld too until the servers go down. There were no prelim ones this time because people were out of office.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

I'm going to guess that either the majority of the class's damage is baked into invisible scaling with level that's behind the scenes with int playing a small factor in comparison, or that its weapon just scales with level and has the same amount of weapon damage/int as a max ilvl weapon of the same level. Given the weirdly low potency the class has, I'm guessing it's the former so they don't need to sweat players taking weird melds into the carnival.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Hit 50 with blue mage, dabbled around, and it is such a weird class right now. The flavor is cool, and goddamn tank blue mage makes me wish a tank actually could bring utility that feels good to the table, but. Most of the spells are kind of - lackluster and whatever, only there for the one or two applications in the carnival? There's some cool poo poo here, like how ram's voice/dragon's voice is this really neat combo that makes you care about your positioning, a few combos, your DoTs, a few buffs/CDs, basically feels like mostly your standard caster with a emphasis on utilty and positioning, which is a pretty unexplored niche for spellcasters.

Then there's a VERY small number of utterly batshit utility spells that are broken regardless of the context they're used in that ruin the whole package. It feels like this is a class that could have been make into a real, interesting thing with just a *few* changes, and the only spell that would have had to been dramatically refactored would have been white wind, since even bad breath could have just been made into a cooldown like other effects such as pallisade, virus, etc. Their example of instant death wound up actually being entirely null and void, because you get doom and tail screw and they don't work on trial bosses and it would have been easy enough to just disable them in instanced content if they had to be a thing... I just don't get what they were going for here anymore.

Carnival's cute but kind of a one-off content you can now do for more seals and while they tried to make a replay value thing with scoring, it just feels kind of tacked on into a game it really doesn't belong in. I think blue mage is going to lose a lot of its appeal in the coming week, and then it's going to be entirely dead content that people have to bug their friends to carry them through old content multiple times (since the rate is far from 100%) just to play a dumb minigame, since just shy of half of the spell list is locked behind trials and dungeons of which almost all cannot be soloed. I don't get what they were going for here with a job that exists only for the carnival, which is solo content, but then set it up such that once the initial hype is over the only way to get half of the spell kit is to re-run old content you have to bug people to carry you through, since you can't queue for it, and there seems to be absolutely zero logical reason for why they couldn't just set up special solo trial versions for you to learn the spells from, especially since they just go "snzz here" and hand you eight of the spells via consumable items. What is this supposed to accomplish, who is this for?

short: class itself is good, everything around it is dumb.

edit: actually i'm double mad here because they say "it wouldn't be blue mage if you didn't have to go out in the field and learn the spells yourself" and then they give you 7 out of 49 spells, some of them being fairly iconic, as usable items. they don't even fully keep to the gimmick which was supposed to be their dumb reason for keeping the class restricted in the first place!!

Meeko fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

Would having you learn the spells from what amounts to class story quests/trials somehow be more blue mage-y?

they had me beat the poo poo out of a kraken with a stick in a cut-scene to learn the first spell and that tiny bit was honestly way more engaging than shouting about some b-rank hunt or whatever for half a hour until the RNG decides to cooperate. The current setup for learning spells fails to sell me on anything other than it being a time sink to keep people playing, especially since you can do entire dungeons/trials you've already done hundreds of times and not get the spell.

so yeah, having fancy spruced up blue mage-flavor class quests/trials would have been 40x better than this time sink version.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

honestly blue mage should have been just the carnival and even that's like, a week or two's worth of entertainment at most. given how hard it is to get the trial spells the entire class kind of reminds me of the diadem weapons that were like, what, +5 ivls over the next highes tthing? just there as bait to keep people playing until shadowbringers.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

To be honest after spending some more time with it, I don't think there's actually any hope of salvaging blue mage. Calling it a clusterfuck is a understatement, the entire class has virtually no underlying design principles, and the numbers are all hosed because of the lack of weapon damage. They'd have to more or less create a entirely new class, but the initial hype of "blue mage is now in the game" will no longer be on their side and it'll be kind of hard to justify.

Sadly I think the class's fate is going to be like lord of verminion - side content that bombs on release that they just abandon and leave there to rot. Not sure what the hell they were thinking with naming instant death as a reason they can't make the job a full class, then giving the class instant death, and then making bosses resist it anyway, but I don't think there's anything as emblematic of how much of a dumpster fire the class is then that.

e: also yes the warrior of light is a dumbass but thankfully they stop being as much of a dumbass after that.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Have you logged in this week? BLU absolutely didn't bomb, lmao

I don't disagree the class has huge initial novelty, and heck I was even swooned by it at first, but the party requirements to unlock half the spell list are hitting most people I know like a sack of bricks. It definitely isn't immediately making GBS threads the bed like LoV did, but give it another few days for more casual people to hit the trail/hard dungeon wall and the honeymoon will probably be over.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Countblanc posted:

are airships something just anyone can do? i had assumed it was mostly just for FC leaders.

depends on the FC. It's kind of like the garden in that respect: entirely depends on what your FC is willing to let people do. But any FC that exclusively hordes airship access to the leader is probably not a very good FC.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

AngusPodgorny posted:

The problem with open access to airships/submarines is how limited they are. The most an FC can have is four going out, and missions can take days to run, and you probably won't even get what you're after. (Like I still don't have an Abroader Otter from my personal FC's submarsibles after weeks.) So TPT's submersibles are primarily run by one person, but whatever junk they bring back isn't personally pocketed.

It's also worth asking in chat if anyone has a garden or airships sitting idle. I'm currently working on getting jute and a minion, but there have been times in the past where my personal gardens and ships were sitting idle for months at a time.

Oh yeah, that's a much better way of putting it than I did, thanks. It's not necessarily that a FC has to have open access or they're bad, just be leery of any FC that doesn't at least spread the love (even though a lot of the time said love is mostly just junk...).

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

edit: got beaten to the helmet thing oops. still yikes.

also from that interview: no new healer because they want to rebalance the existing ones (same excuse as stormblood).

Meeko fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 23, 2019

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Relax Or DIE posted:

What is everyone's ideal outcome? Sincere question, I actually want to know.

them not going actively out of their way and half arsing stuff in a manner that makes people upset, where it was clear they did not have the resources to fully commit to this idea, just because the same dev team that made sexy wink for the camera fanservice bunny girls found bunny boys a bit too weird.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

gently caress they could've just dodged the issue entirely even if they still wanted to do it this way by going "hey we wanted to give you one of each side, beastly race and bunny race now, since new races are a lot of work, but we're working on and will implement viera females/ronso males down the line." People would have still been upset but then everyone would have eventually gotten what they wanted.

also they should have explicitly said at the last fanfest "hey sorry no viera males" if the plan is no bun boys ever. doing it in this hint hint nudge nudge "tee hee see next fan fest" fashion is almost certainly what made this whole situation go from "people upset" to "defcon two," in conjunction with the no new healer thing.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kind of wonder why the Beast Tribes sell costumes of themselves.

They've seen the warriors of light's incredibly stupid outfits, and realize that silly clothes are the best carrot to offer to enlist their murder hobo services.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

gotta say i'm not a big fan of how estenien keeps coming back in these very limited 'oh yeah he did some poo poo and peaced out without saying hi' appearances, it just feels like blatant pandering and in this particular case a excuse to rear end pull a reason why the WoL got pulled away from a mortal blow without having to bother animating a scene of it. either have him come back and have actual screen time or drop him entirely, this way is just annoying and unsatisfying. he's no longer a character he's just a piece of walking fanservice/deus ex dragoonia

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Oh, so WHM really is keeping assize damage and the holy stun.

Well even without them, the new fart misery is hands down the best between cards and chain stratagem for dungeons, seems WHM will retain and establish further its dominance as god-emperor of dungeons.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

yeah healers just appear to have been done absolutely dirty.

The previewed dungeon didn't seem to really have appreciably higher healing requirements either than what we're used to, both in the single target and area of effect departments. While it's entirely possible later dungeons do have higher requirements I wouldn't hold my breath.

new paladin looks extremely exciting though as does gunbreaker so I suppose I can just swap to full time tanking.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Someone did a interview with YoshiP about the healer changes. It seems their end goal with these changes are to have the various jobs in a state where pretty much anything is equally viable.

I think it's a little misguided in end result, but I can definitely see where he's coming from, and you can feel it very strongly in the tank and healer changes.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

This situation probably wouldn't be as heated as it is if this wasn't piggy backing off of two expansions of no new jobs for healers, with the given reasoning being that they had to re-balance them first.

Now all we can really do beyond bitch is wait for encounter design and hope the healers wind up feeling still different and interesting in practice.

also I hope they just amped up tank threat generation to WoW levels of threat because now that stance dancing is gone there's really no reason for aggro to be a pressing concern beyond "make sure the tank smacks it first."

e: also like, a lot of the bitching is gonna come from scholars and maybe ast since the book worms got hit the hardest by these changes. whm was relatively unchanged in that regard, and ast was barely modified.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 29, 2019

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you genuinely think every thing is doomed and healers will be hated and they intend to replace healers with npcs and all the thing a people are saying then it might be a good idea to skip this expansion and see if it is fixed by the next because it seems to assume a level of malicious hatred rather than just disagreement on balance.

I don't think it is wrong for people to be annoyed but some of the things being said in this thread are bonkers.

Nah I don't think things are doomed, I just think it's very understandable to feel pessimistic looking at this initially from the understanding that this is after a full expansion worth of them kicking the healer can down the road, and that this is what we will have to deal with for a full expansion because the team can only do so many changes so fast. If anyone likes the direction things are going, great for them of course! But there's absolutely a level below "we're doomed forever and healer is being deleted" but above "everything is fine" that can be considered reasonable given the context leading into these changes that probably would not be considered reasonable if this had launched with stormblood instead of after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Cabbit posted:

Kotaku interview with Yoshida. Some interesting excerpts:

For some reason I never thought of Korea as the kind of place where there would be that kind of backlash, but I'm also ridiculously ignorant of it.

Gonna break from the healer sadness to say YoshiP really is a good guy. I know we'll probably see people having joke weddings or pictures being like "oh wow look at these burly roe men in dresses ha ha ha" but, like...for the people who still want that sort of body, even reflected in game, but still wish to express themselves with feminine attire, or vice versa for masculine attire, this sort of news is really uplifting.

like, yeah, there's a certain degree of joy in that you can choose the kind of body you want in a online experience - but that makes it so binary and leaves some people in the cold, and I'm glad he and the dev team recognize this.

Small hope they address pronouns some day but that probably has understandable logistical issues.

Also yeah, kind of anecdotal but my mother's side of the family is South Korean so I vaguely pay attention and LGBT rights there in general really weren't a thing until like, "within the past 9 years" levels of recently. Like in the most recent election even, only one of seventeen candidates supported homosexuality, let alone the rest of it, and the president's stance, whom is a member of what could be considered their progressive party, is that gay soldiers could undermine the military.

it's kind of a really sad state of affairs.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 29, 2019