Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Raubahn loses his cool dude seat for the "pray return to the login screen" business last weekend.

Leonardo is a good turtle bro though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is it wrong that when I'm in a party with a tank who hates using their DPS combo, I forego using Distraction in order to keep chasing that #2 enmity spot?

But yes, ideally the party should be using whatever enmity mitigation tools they have so that the tank can use only as many enmity combos as are needed keep monsters focused on them and then proceed to DPS. In practice, it rarely works out that cleanly unless your entire party is very familiar with each other.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Augus posted:

Ifrit's easily the least interesting Primal in the game so you've got a lot to look forward to!

In fairness Ifrit does have a really good looking arena to fight in, and it's a popular screenshot location. But yeah the primals (and other trials) after basically the marquee set pieces the story is built around, and a lot of work went into making them cool fights. The original three primals feel exciting on your first run but soon feel tame compared to what you run into later.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Augus posted:

yeah she's more serious because she has a strong personal stake in this conflict. she's still a goofball at heart, she punted a catfish ffs. did everyone else skip the cutscene where she punted the catfish?

The catfish was asking for it.

Lyse's characterization wasn't the issue as much as the broad pace of the story was. I think a bit more focus on Gyr Abania this expansion and a bit less on the far east would have gone a long way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is there a way to set up macros for picking different role skills and copy them to a hotbar so I don't have to manually deselect and select them in the Role Actions menu all the drat time?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

/aaction clear - removes all your role actions
/aaction "X" on - adds role action X
/hotbar action "X" Y Z - places action X on hotbar Y slot Z

Thanks, it was the /aaction command I was missing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Personally I'm hoping he'll make an appearance in 4.0's inevitable Hildebrand questline.

That's practically a gimmie. The long shot is having him show up as a mid-fight mechanic somewhere during one of the savage raids.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Based on the lack of comment, I'm guessing that Primal didn't have broken duty waits like Aether did tonight? Tanks were getting 25 minute queues, pre-formed groups still took 5-10 minutes to reserve, and god help you if you solo queued for anything as a DPS.

On the other hand it was a good excuse to powerlevel a miner almost all the way to 70.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blattdorf posted:

His Nhaama is actually most certainly Yugiri maybe.

My very first thought when he brought up the subject was that I was going to have to hook those two up at some point.

He believes the sun god is incarnated in the moon tribe, so I guess it'd make some sort of sense if the moon goddess incarnated in the sun tribe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

Bare minimum they'll get a hard mode for Bardam's Mettle that has a resolution to Magnai's Nhaama. They and Azim Steppes as a whole seems like a real fan favorite so I wouldn't be surprised if we get some long side quests or something with the Xeala in a late cycle patch like 4.3 or 4.4 or something.

I would be totally down for a dungeon whose goal is to help them find their love for each other while we guide them through AoE-dodging puzzles.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

I hope they don't have anymore extra action bar fights because they are clunky as hell.

I don't mind the extra action mechanic conceptually. The biggest problem I have with it is that it altered the way the controller triggers interact with L3 and R3, so now when I want to use L3 to engage or disengage camera lock I have to completely release both triggers. This is a relatively minor crunchy thing all told, but it has forced a significant change in how I personally approach boss fights and I'm mad damnit.

I'm going to miss smooth circle strafing but I pretty much have to wean myself off it now to avoid accidents when I fail to disengage successfully because I still had R3 depressed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they cared about AOE damage they wouldn't have made SAM in to a giant blender forged from the finest Hanzo Steel. :japan:

Sam AoE is kind of amazing. You still run yourself out of tp as fast as a goon would, but it's so much easier to tenderize everything in a giant monster pile and looks cooler to boot.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bleu posted:

The entire storyline about that guy is that Widargelt doesn't want to join the resistance, he wants to revive the Fist of Rhalgr instead. I think it's a good mini-story, honestly..

It was, though it was marred a bit by the last fight being kind of bullshit. I guess they didn't want to make him into another Estinian character since they had Lyse to focus on. And also because we still have Actual Estinian here to punish Zenos for stealing his Trogdor gimmick.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Your mistake is in thinking that my goal is to do well in pvp, whereas my true purpose is to just get xp for SAM. Not sucking at pvp is a secondary objective

In my very limited experience, use Enpi a lot, tag low hp enemies with that 1500 potency, 20 kenki attack whenever possible, and avoid hanging out in a a big brawl unless you have a bunch of friends and at least one healer near.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

Didn't notice it until last night, but it's nice that they went back to make doman weapons (from centurio seals) for Sam/Rdm.

This is probably due to the fact that the level 67 dungeon's gear drops are very slightly recolored versions of the Asuran gear, so they probably figured if they are adding SAM and RDM weapons for the dungeon using that style they may as well add them to the actual Asuran weapons list too.

The only disappointing thing about an otherwise excellent dungeon.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

nuru posted:

So did every MNK go SAM? I haven't seen a MNK since SB came out.

I took monk to 70 first, sam is my next project but the main stumbling block is that dungeon queues are ridiculous right now and I get bored of PvP spam pretty quickly.

Machine-gunning Forbidden Chakra is fun and I have a new toy to help maintain GL through an invuln phase (under certain circumstances), so things aren't too bad. It's true that I haven't seen a huge number of other monks at max level, though there have been some.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vOv posted:

Make it yell out quotes and 'attack' when you're in combat.

Dance to the song of ringing steel!

The minion doing it's impression of Bloody Fuller with tiny sparklers would be adorable.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Run away to make it do less than Current Hp-1 damage.

I recommend against this since 1) there is no guaranteed damage coming out right after the hit so you aren't at risk of dying before the healer can get you, and 2) if you are right up next to him it's easier to dodge the 270 degree AoE that he uses shortly after the charge.

Fister Roboto posted:

Discerning Eye->Impulsive Appraisal->Discerning Eye->Impulsive Appraisal->Discerning Eye->Methodical Appraisal

Replace DE with Single Mind for every Impulsive proc you get, and upgrade to Impulsive Appraisal II when you get it.

That one is the one I still use for regular collectibles and it works great.

For Zhloe collectibles (which require a higher minimum collectability) I am doing DE > IA > DE > IA > Utmost Caution > MA > MA because it is literally identical to my old rotation except that Utmost Caution costs twice as much and provides twice the benefit. Yeah, there wasn't much reason to do that this last week, but it kind of looks like she might be offering yellow scrips once those unlock so I figured I should test it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is he trying to say I'm his pet robo-dog? As a catgirl I take great offense.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So maybe this is a dumb question, but where exactly is the gathering node in Lochs for the Ala Mhigan Salt Crystals? It looks like it is in the lake, but no matter what depth I swim to I can't find the drat node. Is there some secret hidden cave below the lakebed?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

That is literally what the text of the game says so yes

It also means we are likely to see a boss fight later in the expansion where the tables are turned and the boss uses a similar attack on the WoL, with the effect of hiding AoE markers and cast bars until you do some mechanic to remove your aether-blindness.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cythereal posted:

For a simple example, at the conclusion of the conjurer quest where you're sent out to learn about water magic and borrowing the power of elemental water, you learn your first water spell (fluid aura).

And then they make fun of lore-based skill learning in the dad joke-est way when your AST learns Gravity.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Still leveling samurai, but I am amazed by just how much AoE damage the single target burst damage job gets. If DF pubbies actually used Goad I'd be a goddamn terror.

FortMan posted:

End-game spoilerish.
Now that the Garleans definitely need to show some strength. The war is going to get whole lot nastier, isn't it?

Despite his clearly stated low opinion of his son, Emperor Dracula is 100% going to use his death as a rallying cry for ramping up the war because why wouldn't he.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 29, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Merlwyb had great voice work (pre HW), a fairly unique "pirate by way of Hugo Boss" aesthetic, and absolutely 0 patience for bullshit, so it's pretty obvious why she became a fan favorite early on even though she has been underutilized for most of the game's lifetime.

Raubahn has come a long way since the level 15 Echo flashback (Merlwyb and Kan-E's stem directions vs Raubahn's RAW. ACTING. TALENT!) but it's time for him to take a breather and let another badass leader get some face time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Malthuras posted:

Why the hell is samurai so fun, damit...

It's a walking Cuisinart with the amazing ability to drop dead the moment you rip hate from the overtaxed no str tank.

Creating a churning cloud of numbers over a trash pull and then stabbing their boss in the rear end for 20k+ is great fun. Don't forget to take Distraction as a role action because if you are any good you'll be needing it a lot.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a blast, yeah. The game's been out for a while now and I'm still impossibly torn between it and red mage, they're both at level 62 because I can't stop changing my mind :(

I have resolved this issue by not starting rdm until I get my sam to 70.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just noticed that the NPCs hanging out at the SSS area in the Fringes are the Mantravilles. Glad they found some work after their adventures with Hildebrand. :3:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

I want to agree, but thordan ex is the most fun dance I've ever done, even if I finally cleared it after it was no longer current.

I'm hoping that the inevitable ex version of Stormblood's end boss fight is a cool and challenging as Thordan Ex was when it was fresh. Nevertheless I'd prefer for genuinely hard fights to be standouts rather than every single duty mostly so that people who don't raid have things to do and enjoy in this game.

I say this as somebody planning to raid as soon as savage opens up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Augus posted:

Doma Castle was a cool dungeon. Is it me or was the final boss a big step up in difficulty for MSQ bosses? My party didn't wipe but there was a ton of damage going out, we were all low on HP at points, and all the mechanics going out really required you to pay attention and think quickly. It almost felt like it could've been a normal mode Alexander boss. I like the trend SB seems to be showing of ramping up the MSQ bosses to be more involved, they were way too braindead in the past.

It's a bit harder of a dungeon boss, yeah. But still not really a raid level of difficulty, just something you need to pay modest attention to in order to avoid getting everybody wrecked. Personally I think the difficulty may be a bit artificial due to new players just being distracted by the... uh... ambiance.

RIP AND TEAR! :black101:

And the difficulty ramp in the MSQ does go up from there!

Augus posted:

FYI Satasha isnt a good dungeon to speedrun unsynced for WT. Haukke is way faster. Satasha is too spread out, just running through takes too long.

You can consistently solo Tam Tara in under 4 minutes, there's just no comparing any other dungeon for WT speed runs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I want to see a 'savage' boss fight that's just Bardam’s Mettle's second boss that goes on and on with increasingly more ridiculous patterns until the entire party screws up with progressively greater rewards the further you get.

For some reason I'm now thinking of Bardam's Mettle HM involving a rapidly escalating bullet hell mechanic.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

On the other hand I've been AOEing as RDM in experts and let me tell you it's a good loving thing that the MP refresh has a threat drop component :cry:

Making me think I should take it on BLM too, actually

The best part of running Shisui as SAM was witnessing just how incredible the job's AoE potential is.

The worst part was ripping hate on like half the enemies in the guard captain pull at once, desperately popping Third Eye, and then promptly getting vaporized.

Distraction is great but it only goes so far!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

popping vril is apparently kind of awkward on a controller

L2 + R2 + R3 isn't bad at all but is is more complicated than just clicking.

Samurai is a melee dps and a relatively simple one for the number of buttons you need to worry about, so it is probably one of the best fits for a controller.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kojei posted:

You only need one of L2 or R2, not both. And personally I pretty much always have a trigger down anyway so ?????

The real tragedy is that it is now much more obnoxious to tap L3 for camera lock/unlock because you have to fully release the triggers first for it to work.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Eopia posted:

It used to be so that melee could keep hitting their auto attacks while moving for positionals, but then they fixed that and now it's only a thing broke brains do cause it cripples your movement for no benefit.

Circle strafing with the camera lock *looks* cooler than walking in straight lines through the target's hitbox. :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Ah, gotcha. I appreciate free damage and all but it was just one of those things that stood out since just about every other Monk ability has a paragraph of text explaining what it does. I actually completely forgot about what it used to do, despite playing as a Monk until Stormblood.

That said, I've been enjoying playing Monk again. I got a rotation down that's pretty good and One Ilm Punch is probably my new favorite ability. It's part of a combo and it stuns for 1s, which disrupt a lot of things' AoE abilities. Kind of wish they'd take Steel Peak and turn it into an AoE ability that's usable in Raptor form, so they can have full combo of area of effect abilities. I'm still of the opinion that they should probably simplify these combos into one hotbar abilities. You could easily set up two of them. One damage combo and one that debilitates the enemy and buffs you. Though PvP simplies it too far by removing buffs and all that jazz, I think it's on the right path with keeping hotbar usage down. It's probably wishful thinking but I'm looking forward to see how they further evolve the game in that respect, since the changes to PvP are pretty bold.

I like that they tried their best to make OIP good, I really do. I've just spent so much of my time playing this game ignoring the fact that it exists that any time it would have been useful, I'm already using Twin Snakes or True Strike. And since it can only be used in the middle of a 123 combo, you kind of have to be expecting a stunnable attack to be coming up and delay a little bit in order to use it properly, which is just about the most un-monkly thing you could do.

I am liking Monk 4.0 a lot and I'm glad that at least some of the doomsaying hasn't borne out in reality. There's no saving Riddle of Wind from being a wet fart of an ability though. Maybe if it removed the stun component from Shoulder Tackle and reduced its recharge to near 0 for 30 seconds I'd consider using it for funsies.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I dyed the Ala Mhigan striking set and I like it enough that I'm not going to glamour over it!

The Ala Mhigan striking set is a Really Good monk look and even comes with a free ponytail, should it match up nicely with your haircut. I'm even considering spending some of this pile of verity tomestones on the weapon purely for the matching glam since the Susan punchers clash a bit with mine.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mazed posted:

They were right to try to kick us out of town.

Bonus:

There's a /praisethesun emote now?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Today, every Shmex accessory "farm" PF I joined was full of bads being toxic at each other (unsurprising), but the Shmex lootmaster doggo farms had actual good people in them that then immediately disbanded after the first clear because none of them apparently read and comprehended that it was lootmaster. Every one of them. It was very peculiar.

(I only joined the lootmaster PFs to fill out my remaining accessories, I'm not in a rush to get the dogs yet so I didn't care about the stipulation).

Also, why do materia other than crit even exist any more when none of the blue gear is capped for crit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Gate posted:

Ultra pvp-protip: put raid markers on enemy healers. This causes Pubbies to actually realize* that there are healers on the enemy team and kill them, instead of beating on the tank being double healed.

*results not guaranteed

The only downside to this is that by the time the game actually allows me to select the marked healer out of the cloud of other characters he's hiding in he's either dead or fled. :arghfist::saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

I regret not focusing enough on my GC rank when I played back in 2.0 days because now I want to do hunts and I'm pretty sure I can't unlock them because I'm still second corporal.

I'm gonna focus on finishing Stormblood MSQ first, but then I guess I'll need to find the fastest way to get GC seals.

You still get normal seal credit for A and S rank hunts regardless of your GC rank. The only thing unlocking hunts with your GC does is let you take daily/weekly hunt bills, which are decent XP but not really the bulk of the seal farming you are likely to want to do.