Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

Players in queue: 1,284

jesus christ it's 2:00am

1312 for me! Here I thought I was going to beat the rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Choyi posted:

1,540 in que

After I got booted once due to server login error.

Keep your curse away from me, I don't need flashbacks to the ARR launch.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Hahahaha. I'm sure it fixed the problem, and wasn't just a symptom of something else catching on fire, yes.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

cathead posted:

In order to address the issue wherein beating “The Pool of Tribute” results in an error being displayed when returning from the content and causing players to be unable to log in again, we will be performing emergency maintenance on "The Ruby Sea" on all Worlds at the time below, during which the area will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Jun. 18, 2017 2:00 a.m. (PDT), for a few minutes
* Completion time is subject to change.

[Affected Area]
The Ruby Sea

I know it's important they fix everything, and this is obviously the easier fix, but there's something kind of insulting about them prioritizing this while most of the population can't even make it to that content.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Lant posted:

That and the fact that you can actually log on and do other things even if you can't get past Raub/Pipin vs a critical bug that makes the game actually unplayable.

Man, I take your point, but I'm getting 90ks everywhere, not just there. I've been trying to do other poo poo for days.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I mean to be totally fair, its something that he would care a lot more about than the scions, its personal to him. you'd just think someone would be like hey what are these eyeball things. Its a cool moment though so imo its not worth picking it to death either

I prefer to think that the WoL left that dangling on purpose, in the hopes for a savage mode rematch.

Zenos was totally right about us, seriously.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Soloing on RDM at 70 is an absolute pleasure. I was maining machinist last expansion and couldn't really get into it, but I'm finding now that Odin, all of the level 50 hard trials (and probably at least some of the extremes, too, once I get mechanics down pat; garuda looked eminently doable) and I thiiiink all of the HW 4-man content has been a real blast and is showering me in glamour gear I never got around to before.

Don't know how this was done before, but vercure puts a lot of things in reach I have to figure weren't practical before.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It's a feathered hat, I've met my obligations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Am I samurai-ing right?

I can't not wear that odin's helm, it's absolutely absurd.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Givin posted:

PVP exp is 12% of your level for a win, 10% for 2nd 8% for 3rd looks like.

This absolutely blows and is a really wrongheaded approach. Disappointed, but not really surprised-- they're probably going to continue in this vein until PVP gets back to its HW levels of irrelevance.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm sorry that you get slightly less exp for AFKing

Yes, that is definitely what I said, you got me good

If you don't care, fine, but what's your problem?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

I actually played a lot of Frontlines in Heavensward, and while it wasn't possible to win every single match there either, there were a LOT less people who treated it as Get Experience For Alt-Tabbing Out To Watch Netflix. Making PVP straight up the best levelling option for DPS players, while also giving the same reward if you win or lose, was a great recipe for really messing up Frontlines, since suddenly there were a lot less people bothering to play healers (because everyone wants to level their DPS), while also offering no incentive whatsoever to even participate beyond joining the match and then idling.

It still gives decent exp, but it now actually gives you an incentive to play it. And if having rewards decided by team effort is a deal-breaker for some people, then maybe PVP isn't something they'd enjoy in the first place?

Having rewards decided by individual effort would make a lot more sense to fulfilling that stated goal, is more my feeling, and a change I wouldn't have a problem with. I don't really like nerfs that hit things out of my control.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The bad trial roulette situation is pretty rare, and losing in rando PVP groups happens about 2/3rds of the time?

These aren't equivalent situations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

It would be more reasonable if I just had a number instead of having to know how their job plays. Obviously AoE is easy to call out but single target would be harder if I have never touched the job.

Why would it help? The people most in need of your unsolicited advice are the least likely to take it. Just a way to start arguments.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It's also nonsense, because they have been adjusting the patch content to do more "other things" this and last expansion.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Verranicus posted:

So I've decided to try leveling my healers and tanks through actual dungeons instead of spamming POTD/PVP, and I chose AST as my first after getting it to 50 pretty much exclusively through POTD. Can someone explain to me when I should be using royal road and spread like I'm a dumb baby?

I mostly just fish for and bank aoe cards for rr and balance for spread, then drop them on the party when I get them.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

What would you even need them for that act isn't already providing?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Oh, agreed, but I'd rather the devs just design one.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

I've vote-kicked single-pulling tanks before when I've rouletted in with another person. If I solo-queued and I ask a tank to pull more and they don't I'll usually just leave and eat the lockout.

Please source your quotes

Because this is dumb as hell.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos didn't conquer Doma. Van Baelsar did, right? Zeno was just the replacement after we killed Van Baelsar.

Correct, though Zenos did put down their last attempt at rebellion pretty brutally.

Ultimately I think that's a big part of why he acts like he does; none of the territory he's stewarding is from his own conquests, and neither the previous emperor nor the current one will let him push outward and take new ground, so he wants to draw the WoL in for a fight with real stakes.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Darkside has 100% uptime regardless, it's mostly a question of whether you're in grit or not, as grit has a -% to dps.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'd say that Heavensward definitely had the stronger overall narrative, but as a huge dork In love with the lore of this setting, the sheer breadth of worldbuilding in SB really really worked for me.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Meldonox posted:

What's the deal with the health adjustment in dungeons? I know what was speculated, but has anybody looked into it and figured out what they did?

From what I saw messing with one of the squadron runs, in the lowbie dungeons at least mobs get chewed up quick.

Long overdue, tbh.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm just looking forward to having a relic hunt for RDM and SAM, honestly; I've spent most of my time these last few months grabbing them up for some of my other jobs and they pair well with Netflix.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't touched MSQ yet, but I saw a picture.

I didn't think I could dislike anything more than amnesiac Yotsuyu, but this might take the cake. I get what they're probably going for, what with Yotsuyu and Fordola having shades of grey to show they're not fully bad people, but come on.

MSQ spoilers:
Seems pretty obvious to me that it's Elidibus taking his corpse for a ride, which I think is an interesting complication, personally?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

My theory on the Asahi scene was he threatened you to make sure you show up in Doma at that specific time and place so Zenos can genocide the gently caress out of ala mhigo while they have your attention with some bullshit.

I dunno, that doesn't sound like Elidibus's MO. I'm sure there is some entirely terrible convoluted bullshit scheme being worked up, but I doubt this is its endgame.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Honestly, I think the sympathetic faction in Garlemald is going to have to be the non-military populace. Outside of the Royal family itself, even the highest-ranked civilian authority is lower-class than basically any army officer. if Asahi is any indication, the Populares faction is dominated by the military too.

The only Garleans we've met who are decent people have been outside the military structure, like that theatre troupe in the Ivalice quests.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

That's precisely why I think it'll be good. I already like FF14's gameplay, so he can play to his strengths here.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Glagha posted:

Please don't

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Ronso are cool and all, but to be honest I'm going to be super loving disappointed if they throw out a pair of gender locked races. I thought we were past that silliness.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Geomancers already show up in the AST class story, they're basically just white mages with different spell names

Having run Swallow's Compass I strongly disagree that they are "just" white mages

They're both based on conjury, sure, but it clearly went in different directions.

See also: Scholar/Summoner

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Azubah posted:

Didn't the end cut-scene of the Ivalice raid say that Garlean tech was probably based on the clockwork tower tech?

To me, I think it actually suggests that the Gougans eventually became the Garleans after abandoning Ridorana, which is kinda neat. Their whole backstory is about not being able to use magic and getting pushed around and onto worse and worse land by bigger countries for centuries.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was never this bad when I was on Mateus, but most of the people on there are terrible and lazy so why would you RP with them?

Public space RP is universally terrible on any MMO, to be honest, though the ERP gets overstated.

Most people who are serious about it on Mateus (and there's a pretty good community here, honest!) are in dedicated FCs, you aren't going to find them in the Quicksand.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The Trust system looks awesome, and I can't wait to see who they add to it as time goes on. Estinien for sure, right?

I also kind of want them to add Tataru, for some kind of challenge mode where you get extra dungeon rewards if you can carry her mechanics-failing rear end through to the end alive.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Krabboss posted:

Healers who don't DPS just aren't doing anything. Most of their time in a dungeon is spent doing nothing, or overhealing. It's relaxing because you're literally just not playing the game. And you'll still be expected to DPS in dungeons even with these changes. Scholar has a 150 potency aoe spell that should basically be spammed during trash pulls.

This is a real uncharitable read of what looks more to me like "Scholar had a whole loving lot of buttons, which could be stressful to juggle while healing."

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Krabboss posted:

I said every message board. It isn't popular on the official forums either, or Reddit, or anywhere.

it may shock you to learn the majority of players aren't posting on any forums about their thoughts.

Also all these sources tend to skew more negative, because there's more incentive/desire to sound off when you want to make a complaint.

This authoritative schtick you've got going is getting old.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Honestly the biggest problem with Eureka is that being minimum level in a zone feels loving awful, and you do it four times over the course of the quests. I genuinely enjoy Eureka when I'm at or near the zone cap, it's fun.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

the_steve posted:

So, I'm looking at getting back into this game for Shadowbringers, because fuckyeah Gunblades.

Question is, as far as Gunbreaker goes, is it going to be like the Dark Knight where you have to have a level 60 class and access to the expansion zone to unlock it? Or will it be unlockable so long as you've got the expac bought and paid for?

Also, which servers are the "best" for RP communities?

Balmung is probably the biggest overall, but Mateus also has a huge RP scene. I've been running an rp Fc on Mateus for a few years now, it's a good community.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

For what it's worth, I don't really get anything out of public scene stuff like goes on over at the Quicksand. I usually hate RP in MMOs, but the housing stuff here is rich enough and in-depth enough that we were able to set up a pretty detailed group and run RP around a strong concept that way. We do a little bit of public facing stuff, mostly for recruitment, but the "good" RP mostly happens behind closed doors in small group settings. I look at it more like a tabletop game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Nessus posted:

Where is DNC going to start? Ul'dah presumably but I suppose they might drop a rabbit in Limsa.

Both new jobs are starting in Gridania iirc, just like both started in Ul'dah last time. I guess 6.0 will be Limsa's time.