Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Help I'm almost 65 and still in the Ruby Sea even though I didn't level at all once I hit The Wall so I was only 60

I'm in sidequest hell and I can't stop myself from doing them!!!

I finished Ruby Sea at just shy of 66, and the only non-questing content I've done is my daily LLDR, and maybe 50-75% of a level's worth of PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ruta posted:

I am against mechanical keyboards until mechanical keyboard users turn off voice activation. I hate that noise. I think mechanical keyboard lovers love the noise and love making others hear it and all the other things they tell you are just lies to hide the truth of their real desire in life: making annoying clickity clackity noises.

AST sleeve draw skill is completely random. I think you're supposed to use it in that situation in which you drew a balance and don't have the appropriate royal road effect, to try to get that royal road effect, and then blow up the other cards appropriately. It'll clog up your held card so don't use it with that empty. But you only ever hold a balance. So yeah.

anyone who uses voice activation or, lord help me, constant broadcast, in voice chat already deserves death regardless of their keyboard preferences.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like that Zenos is an insane psychopath who owns everyone constantly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
healers acting as put-upon martyrs is this really weird trope and i have no idea where that attitude comes from. i see it all the time in fan art where the Poor, Downtrodden Healer is being yelled at by the mean dps and tanks despite - naturally - playing their job perfectly, and i see this in FFXIV even more than usual.

i can't remember the last time i saw someone chew out anyone in a dungeon, let alone some conspiracy targeting healers. it feels like a myth people made up after one bad dungeon run

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

the general opinion from experienced players is that you should be helping with DPS whenever you don't need to use a GCD to heal someone.

The important thing of note here is that this will happen, and happen often - healers in FFXIV pack a LOT of healing power and can drop some major heals instantly, freeing up a notable amount of GCDs where otherwise you'd either be spamming cures on the tank just to do something or I guess standing there idly for 5-6 seconds after every other spell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
speaking of out of combat resource generation, a pro tip for other red mages: pop Manafication on cooldown when you're questing. just like, any time you dismount to gather a resource or something, use it. it's a free 20/20, 40/40, etc. mana.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Verflare's sound, or lack there of, is such a big disappointment after coming from black mage. "True Flare" my rear end.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Current status: freaking out about how loving good the 2nd boss of Bardam's Mettle is

and how much of a ruiner of pugs it is :stonklol:

i mean only one person has to clear it right? it should be a Never Fail assuming you know what youre doing

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I've also noticed a lot more back-capping going on so I don't really mind it, except for the one time both of the 2 healers in my entire raid were guarding back-caps.

"base guarders" are basically the honest healers of pvp - they mask being bad or lazy behind vague game theory truisms. the people who stay at your base aren't protecting against backcaps because they're either afk or awful, which is precisely why you see more backcaps now.

that said i dont want them to tie exp to win/loss in pvp because the only meaningful way to individually contribute to 24v24v24 is to play a healer/bard or get lucky with people ignoring you. you can premade (which ive been doing with my fps teammates and being able to just call "red mage left" and have them dead is great fun), but that's hardly a great solution. tying it to participating could be good as long as its a certain, very lenient threshold rather than being relative to the rest of your team. just something to keep people from standing at base or afk-riding their mount off into a corner.

speaking of premades:

Tsurupettan posted:

Feast or whatever it's called is good if you have a coordinated group to rapidly throw games, though I don't know the exact exp values per game.

how? you can only queue with one other person out of a total of 8 players on the team.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
or heck just make a really good sink for Wolf Marks because it's really easy to cap right now if you're leveling off of pvp and have nothing to spend it on. that'd encourage at least a bit more participation because right now marks are worthless

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meldonox posted:

Catch me up, guys. I've been out of town since Saturday morning and I'm hoping to hit the ground running tomorrow. What's shaping up to be the most fun tank? I started with warrior, but thanks to Raubahn I don't have much catching up to do if it isn't as good a time as paladin. Do I really want to blow my poetics on a set of 270 strength accessories? How are people melding them?

Also have we heard anything specific about the end of the Garo event? I never gave a poo poo before but I got into PvP in the couple weeks before Stormblood hit and may as well work on that while I can.

Paladin is very good right now and people are saying it's fun (I can't speak first hand but it does look fun and being OP is generally fun). My friend who plays DRK is rather disappointed with the job, he says it lacks mitigation compared to the other tanks and, more importantly, is just less fun to play now for a handful of reasons I don't know enough about the job to convey beyond "you press fewer buttons" and he picked DRK because it's the most button-heavy tank. Warrior gets the Class Fantasy of spamming Fel Cleave but it's weaker now and if you don't care about that it's sort of a less impressive Paladin for the moment.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Defiance Industries posted:

Bah, when I played DRK back in Final Fantasy 2 you only had two commands: FIGHT and ITEM. So this is a big upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

genuine lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
back in WoW i remember some people would work out during long dps queues and eventually got Hella Strong just from doing pushups/situps/weights between queues. perhaps its time for ol count to get swole

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i was a warrior main from like 2.1-3.55 and i'd rather play a dps class than have to navigate the clunky mess that is currently warrior just to do like 80 percent of a paladin's damage

Actually you're a tank player, which means you forever will be. So quote the sacred texts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Is RDM really so strong that things need to be buffed to its level? I thought the "rankings" or whatever showed it solidly in the middle, which is probably exactly where it ought to be.

RDM is currently the weakest of the caster dps and about 5-6th overall. It does have some utility though so it's fine, though our AoE is seriously bad (and really boring) compared to the AoE powerhouses like BLM and SAM.

If RDM looks supwr strong now that's because it's easy. Like, really easy, and transparently so. Just look at their potencies - assuming you have Jolt 2 your lowest potency single target spell is 230. Even if you do nothing beyond spamming Jolt 2 your average potency will be 230. This is silly, but then let's assume you aren't functionally dead and instead cast Jolt 2 > Verthunder. You're now doing an average of 275. This is a lot higher than any other class does for that amount of effort, and odds are people are using their oGCD abilities at least SOME of the time. Obviously this is a suboptimal rotation, but rdm probably has the smallest gap between floor and ceiling of any of the jobs right now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

All the commendations I give out are ironic.

I always give commendations to the other dps unless they're really awful or the tank/healer does something phenomenal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is my exact feelings on Red Mage but expressed better. I immediately saw the problems with the job once I started it, and recognized it wasn't going to get any better at 70. I really wish the job had more complexity to it. MCH apparently sucks right now for damage but playing them is a lot of fun. SAM is strong but they're also fun to play.

I think it's really important that a job has a high skill ceiling that you can't consistently reach all of the time (either due to personal skill or fight mechanics or both) so you always feel like there's something to strive towards.

I had the same realization but felt I was committed, probably because I had hyped myself up for the job the two weeks prior. I wish I had stuck with BLM at this point and will definitely level it sometime soonish (after I get another role to 70, probably). At least all the gear I'm getting for RDM will carry over barring my weapon. It just feels like there aren't enough tricks, and the tricks that there are don't feel that satisfying in practice beyond the initial "aha!" like the aforementioned "get to 90/90+, use Moulinet once, Manafication, use Moulinet three more times". As BLM I felt like every fight had those moments due to how restrictive movement was and how Enochian functioned. There is really nothing in the RDM's catalog that feels as sneaky as swiftcast B4 to preserve Enochian, and that's like BLM 101.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Right now I'm at the end of the main Heavensward story and I'm stuck between two options:

1. Just keep truckin' with Red Mage and look forward to the couple new tricks I get eventually. If nothing else, Vercure is really nice for soloing and Black Mage sure doesn't get that, and maybe I'll get to be a hero with Verraise a couple times along the way. And it's not like Red Mage is totally unfun or anything, just, y'know, lackluster.

2. Buy a jump potion for Black Mage once I finish the Heavensward story and play through Stormblood with that job instead. I have Black Mage at like 38 right now but I'm willing to drop some money to just finally get to Stormblood instead of screwing around leveling it to 60 when I already have Red Mage there. It helps that I want to keep leveling Black Mage eventually anyway.

I haven't experienced BLM in SB yet but everyone I know who liked it in HW likes it now, and it definitely has the Big Numbers appeal of SAM. RDM's solo stuff is definitely good and I've used Vercure to let a friend and I duo boss FATEs we otherwise wouldn't have been able to so there's definitely something to be said for that.

I've been having fun too but it's hard to say how much of it is seeing new content every day and how much is RDM. And RDM's play pattern is absolutely fun, just incredibly autopilot with no notable room for growth. It's particularly funny since pre-launch tons of people were freaking out about how complex it looked and like "whoa! how do you even make a rotation for a job this weird!!" but oh hey it turns out you just press 1 > 2 or 1 > 3 (your choice! wow!), and then smash that glowy button if you were #blessed otherwise 4 > 3 or 4 >2, repeat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hobbesmaster posted:

Broil in pvp is the best. :getin:

SCH in PvP is super cool. Making the fairy a cooldown is neat and Broil is sick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jinh posted:

Same.

And I'd be down for buffs based on whether you Verholy or Verflare. From what I hear, Verflare is unlocked first and most folks have no trouble verflaring every time and getting a proc so it shouldn't be a big issue

Yeah as it is the job actually gets easier at 70 with Verholy, not harder (or more fulfilling/interesting/whatever). Suddenly the minigame just becomes "can you end with even a minor imbalance" rather than "can you shoot for a specific imbalance" and ultimately the answer is "yes, with great ease". A buff that empowers your next Ver-the-other-one when you use Holy/Flare could be cool and also fits the balance flavor of the job. And even if it boosted the spell from 550 to 650 or something that's a pretty dang small buff considering how infrequently you use them, which means it'd add optimization options without really punishing players who failed to track it to any notable degree.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Everyman posted:

Shameless plug for my primal punching LS once again since there's people at 70 now and we've knocked out both EXs: https://catgirl.bargains/topic/77-wreck-it-raiding-primal-punching-linkshell-open-for-business/

Come join us if you want to pummel primals. They're pretty easy this time around and you can get by with a bit less than i300 if you have the tomestone weapon. Its not a static group, but a gathering place to make your farm, clear, or learning parties. Easiest way to get an invite is to ask around on the discord: https://discord.gg/3ZXK3UH

neat, i wanted to start trying primals this weekend

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

Verstone and fire exist not to be similar to aero and thunder, but Jolt. I guess I see what you're saying when you say that RDM is all about making your mana bars go up, but I find that's what makes it interesting. Almost every cast is a decision tree depending on procs and your mana.

Ultimately it comes down to a playstyle choice, I agree, but let's not pretend that RDM's stuff is a "decision tree" in practice. On paper sure, but when you're actually casting and fighting it just isn't really there, you basically just cast Jolt/Impact > Ver-longcast unless you get a Ver-shortcast proc, then you cast that and then cast the Ver-longcast that corresponds to whichever meter is lower. Once you get to around 70 mana maybe you turn your brain on for a second but even then it's usually pretty dang simple assuming you're level 70 and have access to both Ver-finishers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Now I'm somehow feeling vaguely guilty for playing RDM, the what-is-this-EZ-mode? of DPS jobs apparently :(

Play the thing you enjoy, especially if it's actually doing fine DPS wise. In fighting games I like to play characters with limited movesets like Potemkin in Guilty Gear or Ryu in Street Fighter. I couldn't tell you why I do, but I definitely don't have to work as hard for wins as certain other characters (well with Potemkin maybe but in a different sort of way). And that's fine because people have different tastes. In MMOs though I want more complexity because the actual core combat mechanics are very simple and I get bored otherwise. It's like my friend I mentioned a few pages back being disappointed that DRK is a lot easier now, he picked it because he felt he could express himself more with its advanced mechanics compared to the other tanks.

Ultimately this discussion is as much me working out my own feelings about the job as it is hearing what other people have to say about it. I haven't really had the chance to sit down and put my thoughts on paper because I was wrapped up in pre- and post-release hype and it's only now that I have my full kit and am starting to repeat content that I'm able to figure out what I like and don't like about it. Ultimately if I don't feel something special once I do EXs this weekend I'll probably switch back to BLM over the next two weeks but we'll see.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It was cool unlocking Sophia in HW, forgetting to do it, and then a month later getting it in Trial Roulette and having no idea what was going on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

vOv posted:

I was soloing some open-world stuff and I almost died until a nearby RDM double-Vercured me and I really wish I could've commed them somehow for it.

Healing people in the world, either for my own benefit (helping people doing FATEs with me) or just because I like being nice, was great while leveling as RDM.

For all my talk about personal RDM issues it was a much sicker leveling experience than BLM likely would have been. A complaint I had in HW was that it looked super goofy when the story big bad would say "now draw steel, Warrior of Light!" and my dude would just... pull out a staff and kinda hold it nonthreateningly. Pulling out a sword and pointing it at someone's throat/crotch is a lot more cinematic and badass. That plus the curing thing makes me not at all regret my decision to go to 70 as RDM.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am ignorant of most other DPS jobs, what is this and what does it do? :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Midnightghoul posted:

Think I am done with MCN. I picked the job to be a patient marksman, not flip around and fire lasers and do exploding dabs like some millennial

Millennials FTW.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't believe Susano's theme isn't ska

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blattdorf posted:

The spectacle of it all is why I play FFXIV because once you're done with that, you're just shifting numbers on a spreadsheet.

if that were true then execution would have zero impact on success and, well,

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brother Entropy posted:

i just did the 65 dungeon and that might be my favorite dungeon in all of ffxiv

it's super good. i think gubal regular is still my favorite but that + one of the 70 ones are right there with it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Found the perfect sam glam

ska ftw

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd bet dollars to dimes that no single grand company has more than a 40% winrate, probably no more than 36% tbh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also Zenos was cool because he was an insane psychopath and sometimes you just want to see a complete lunatic murder everyone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you write long posts about this game people just say "tl;dr"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I will. I'm slightly hung up on Samurai's general lack of utility--I'm usually not the selfish DPS class guy, I like having a few utility buttons--but Samurai's overall playstyle seems like it'd really be my thing. Maybe I'll level that to 60 and then decide whether to take that or Red Mage into Stormblood.

If it makes the transition any easier, "utility" in FFXIV generally means "you press Battle Litany with everyone else's cooldowns". RDM has a unique thing in dualcast Verraise but it's so, so uncommon that it's hard to weigh it too heavily. FFXIV dps doesn't really have utility in the way some games do, particularly compared to singleplayer FF games. Follow your heart.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

WrightOfWay posted:

How well does DRK play? WAR is a massive disappointment now so I'm looking to level a new tank.

In addition to the "feel" stuff people mentioned already, the math on the class is in a weird place. For example, Dark Passenger is only worth using (with dark arts presumably though I admit I don't fully remember) if you have 11+ targets. That seems pretty insane to me, and there's evidently a few other examples where there's buttons which may as well not exist. But unlike the gamefeel portion, numbers are pretty likely to get tweaked in the first major patch or two.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I did it, I beat the 3 jumping puzzles

are there any other ones beyond these three?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kinda, though "puzzle" is probably a big generous for that one and there's no sightseeing log for it (though it's still pretty obviously intended). Look at the base of the northwestern-most support for the bridge I'm sitting on in that picture and on the back are pegs you jump on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

vOv posted:

I mean it's blindly obvious that he's going to look into her eyes and see that she's his Nhaama at some point considering the only other plot-relevant Xaela girl (that Mol girl whose name I can't remember) has been ruled out.

Didn't he already do that? I remember his underlings jeering him about how she rebuked him and the king guy was like "shut up idiots, gently caress you," and that's why he got cagey when she was brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content. Current SCH definitely does, it's just like Reiter said though, they make EXDR (and quite possibly future difficult 4-man content like Deep Dungeon) more challenging/slower by virtue of dealing notably less damage. Everyone I talk to who tanks dungeons regularly says it's a pretty notable difference, having a SCH versus either other healer. They still clear but it's slower and less fun. Plus any personal feelings about the job not being fun to play anymore but I can't comment on that.

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.