Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now that I'm home from work I have to resist the siren's call of going through that music dump looking for more awesome stuff like Penitus

Think I'll watch some DrakGamestein vids instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65-vuOikFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ransome posted:

barrage can crit now

Oh jesus christ I was sure I was gonna play RDM, y u do dis

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually all the combined changes to Dragoon make me want to do that too fuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shy posted:

You start at 50, then get job quests at 60 and 70, the quests grant you a skill on quest completion, other skills are unlocked automatically upon reaching their level.

So no job story quest lines? :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If MCH didn't seem so dependent still on getting good Wildfires (and now more of them per encounter!!) I'd probably be staring at them too, but alas

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Wildfires do make up like 1.5% of your dungeon damage.

How much on a single boss though?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Injuryprone posted:

Are ninjas hard to play with all the mudra shananagins?

I wouldn't say they're any harder than any other melee but they can still be butts if your connection's worse than 120ms to pull a number out of my arse. You memorize the mudra patterns pretty fast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've got other games I could be playing, or going to bed early to wake up for launch in less than six hours, instead I'm sitting here refreshing this thread, Catgirl Bargains and reddit

what have i become

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

The difference between really good ones every time and just kinda clicking split shot over and over is probably around ~3% over a single say Alex Normal fight.

You're shattering all my misconceptions and making my decision harder :arghfist::saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tekne posted:

Foxcon is trying to read the patch notes but BRRRRRT

https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv

wonder if that BRRRRT is part of the OST

also, hi Yoshi-P

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Trip report from Stormblood: Roegadyn women still ugliest race/sex combo

:staredog:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Poor Yoshi-P looks like he's about to collapse in his chair :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wonder what zero hour is gonna be like in terms of connections. ARR was a shitshow but I recall Heavensward launch was really smooth.

At this rate I'm probably gonna be awake at 2am for launch so I guess I'll see :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just noticed BRD only gets Bloodletter resets under Mage's Ballad now and now I'm sad :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I sorta feel like photoshoppingMSPainting the Fracture icon onto the eyes of a pic of Ciaphas Cain and getting that as an avatar

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LegionAreI posted:

As we wait for about 2 more hours, here's to the experience many of us lived with at launch and assuredly won't get with Stormblood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU44zSlJQag

ARR launch sucked dongs but HW was smooth enough (queue length aside) so I'm pretty hopeful :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skaw posted:

Yeah, I reported back on PvP earlier in the discord, and it cannot be stressed enough that if you enjoy PvP, use it to level. It's just shy of 600k experience at 60 and scales up.

This annoys me because I find MMO PvP to be literally satan but muh expeeeez :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Red Mage flows so well in dungeons, even before 60. I can't wait to get this bad boy there and start seeing Stormblood content.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I've got RDM at 60 and hit The Wall I'm not really sure what to do with myself :(

Besides level SAM I guess but that doesn't seem that interesting to me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone gotten high enough on Machinist yet to see how the heat mechanic plays out? I'm curious as heck about that one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Minrad posted:

Cool RDM fun fact: Dualcast works if you're a succubus

Unfortunately, this also means you're not doing absolutely bonkers DPS. I want ACT to update so I can confirm that RDM is as insane as it feels with how fast it kills stuff. (fake e: it has)

It has updated (in beta form, at least; check around Reddit or the Github, I don't have the link anymore) and in the first SB dungeon I was doing about 2000-2100 DPS at 62 with a white HQ weapon. poo poo be cray.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

people have already mathed out optimal stuff, rdm is doing decidedly Okay for single target and pretty bad on AoE. this assumes equal gear, skill, and max level though so your mileage may vary based on your given level. SAM and BLM are the two big single target bruisers right now. RDM is also incredibly bursty, especially if you go into a fight with a grip of mana, which can make the job feel more damaging than it really is.

How did they work that out, simulators or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

i don't know the logistics sadly, but FFXIV's potency system is highly transparent now that the formulas for damage have mostly been discovered. there's obviously room for error, either in math or future discoveries, but everything I've seen since the 4.0 "nerfs" to rdm (relative to the ~april build) suggests the job sits comfortably in the middle of the pack... or the lower end if you ignore brd/mch who are both basically tied for last. which is fine, the class is super fun and SE has typically been okay with changing numbers (though rarely mechanics) during patches. plus like I said RDM is also really bursty so until AoE pulls become meta it's actually quite good in dungeons and world content!

e: and vercure/verraise are both strong for small group content, and Embolden is neat.

Interesting, thanks. I guess middle of the pack works fine for me, I'm never pushing Savage or day one EXes anyway. Plus RDM is of course fun as heck.

It doesn't help, however, that I just got outdone by a SAM in similar gear to my RDM in The Sirensong Sea to the tune of 150 or so DPS. Not important I know but my numbers :arghfist::saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Help I'm almost 65 and still in the Ruby Sea even though I didn't level at all once I hit The Wall so I was only 60

I'm in sidequest hell and I can't stop myself from doing them!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I did this until the start of Azim Steppe, but letting go and just sticking to the MSQ made the game a hell of a lot more fun. I'm sure I'll go back and do the rest of the side quests after I finish the MSQ, but being overgeared and having flying will make them a lot less irritating, as will not feeling a time crunch to finish them all ASAP. There are some cute stories in the side quests, so imo it's better to enjoy them for their own sake later instead of feeling pressured to rush them all now.

FWIW the only thing that actually annoys me about all the sidequests is I still only have the one dungeon unlocked, and I really like doing dungeons (especially since as a DPS it means I can queue and still get world stuff done while I wait)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only real 'fear' re: sidequesting and lots of dungeons is that I might hit 70 before I finish the majority of the MSQ and 'waste' that XP

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Just do the MSQ until you hit a wall, then go back and do sidequests starting from the highest level ones. Definitely do sidequests that award aether currents ASAP, though, and fortunately it looks like none of those are hidden behind long chains now.

I've got to try to make myself do this, yeah. I just bet I'll feel compelled to do them all even when there's more 'efficient' ways to spend my time because I might be mentally diseased or something :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Gaius did that, which is why he's the Garlean hero Eorzea deserves.

I'm trying to remember ARR, did Gaius ever commit any atrocities or ala mhigo-style brutal occupation, beyond expansionist aggression at the behest of Garlemald

I guess besides his ill-advised Ascian alliance, anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Gaius did nothing wrong.

Yeah I was literally about to post that in response to the convo then I wondered if it was actually true-ish :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

at least in that case he had the excuse that he knew they were a primary cause of eikon summoning and made a (poor) attempt to stop it, and hell in the long term that's the goal of the Scions too

itt i'm a Gaius apologist

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The talk of healers having to bring at least their A-minus healing game makes me want to do AST after I finish the MSQ with RDM, instead of another DPS or PLD

My indecisiveness will literally kill me one of these days

But for real even though I was a dishonest healer, I never really liked it. Can't say whether that was down to Cleric Stance or just disliking the idea, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

I couldn't remember who van Baelsar was until MSQDR happened to give me Praetorium today.

Side note, the expansion and Heavensward had some great music but I still haven't heard anything that beats Penitus (the Praetorium theme), fight me if you disagree

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Except SB actively encourages good healers to DPS even more and optimize DPS like crazy due to the lack of cleric stance.

I haven't personally seen it yet, but from thread talk it sounds like the difficulty of content and the amount of damage going out disincentivizes most healer DPS?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In that case I'll probably switch to AST at some point out of sheer loving frustration rather than a chance to strut :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So Fister was wearing HW str jewelry? :confused:

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm honestly disappointed in anyone itt who isn't planning to level at least one class that shoots dragonlasers at things

How does the Dragoon rotation work out now anyway with the changes to timers and removal of Phlebotomize? In HW it was a kind of elegant HT->CT combo->Phleb->TT combo->repeat, did that change?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any non-MSQ dungeons or trials? If so are they obvious to unlock like the aether current quests are so far, at least?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm only 69 so I don't have Life of the Dragon yet, but the GCD rotation is:

HT->ID->Di->CT->WT->F&C->TT->VT->FT->F&C->WT->repeat. Basically you replace Phlebotomize with getting a fifth hit on each combo. There's a possibility that the crazy dps math people will math out that you don't always want the fifth hit if you don't need it for BotD timer but this is what SE "wants" you to do

Other things: BotD will never ever fall off without big boss invincibility times. Mirage Dive has a similar animation time to the jumps (so you can't doubleweave it), but doesn't lock you in place so you can still dodge during it.

So far, it feels like a dumbed-down version of the HW rotation, as opposed to a reversion to the ARR rotation. I don't think LotD will change that.

Thanks! I forgot they added a fifth combo hit in the line. Makes perfect sense.

cheetah7071 posted:

The level 63 dungeon isn't MSQ but it's unlocked by a quest that also gives an aether current so it's pretty obvious.
And thanks for that too :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Somehow this is more deeply annoying than The Wall was :mad: Let's play spot the bug!

bug explanation: first boss died as he was doing his targeted Fetter and I was permanently stuck with it, even after using Return. Had to leave the party and eat the 30m penalty

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 20, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Why didn't you just ask them to kick you?

Mostly I didn't think of it :v: but we were only five minutes in anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh man Susano was so good and I cannot fuckin' wait to do his EX mode

Let's revel, buddy :hfive: