Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
May I present to you, based on the last few waning days of the old thread, an unbeatable list:

:v:

GAUNTS GAUNTS GAUNTS :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
'Sup, 30k DA posting buddy?

Here are mine:
Tactical Squad:

Chaplain and Dreadnought:

Group Shot, complete with my Skullapalooza Chaplain:

I don't have as many painted models as TKWG. :shobon: I like my edge highlights and I keep getting distracted by other projects. I've got another 20 tacticals almost done and I'll get back to them once I finish my Catachan Shadow War team*. Then it's on to a few rhinos unless I get pulled in by my Tyranids. I have a lot of unpainted models. :v: I am probably going to look at making my 30k DA cross-compatible with 40k and selling off the majority of my 40k DA. I'll keep specific things like the unique units and just rock the 30k scheme with maybe the exception of the Deathwing.

*I played in a pretty awesome Shadow Event last Saturday. I wrote down some quick notes when I got home that night so I can do a full summary. I'll do a big effort post once my Catachans are done. I had a lot of fun building and painting them and they did pretty well. Won 4/6 games and only had one bad loss. :madmax:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 16, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone still needs this sort of thing, there is a free pdf of the core rules:
http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/rules/Warhammer-40k-Battle-Primer-English.pdf

Maybe it could go somewhere in the OP?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Any advice/concerns about just taking some Vanguard detachments and just spamming Chaos Havoc squads?
Good luck?

You want the Spearhead detachment :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Is there even a reason to take Chaos marines as troops anymore when you can just use cultists and havocs instead?
Welcome to Chaos Space Marines. Do not take Chaos Space Marines.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Why wouldn't you want at least one unit of baller rear end chaos space marines with roaring bolters and spikes on them?
I completely agree. My CSM army still had two basic units of chaos marines because they're rad as gently caress. Unfortunately, 8th edition managed to make them even lamer and they can't take bolter, bolt pistol, and chainsword anymore. Not even Chosen can.

Grey Hunters though? Of course they can.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Please say you're making a bunch of retro colored bigmars.
I hope not. There are no 2nd ed biglys. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

It's really hard for me to want to depend very much on buffing characters simply due to the fact that it's so easy for them to fail their charge and completely screw you over. I've played two games of 8th so far and both times I've had huge issues when a character misses the charge.
Yeah, that's been my concern since we first saw characters are all separate units. I have yet to play 8th so I don't know how valid it is, but I could see myself waiting to charge with deep striking terminators and their accompanying character(s). A 9" charge is already risky enough without leaving a standard bearer or chaplain or something out in the open to be picked off like idiots.

Land raider crusaders are probably the way to go for that. I'm toying with the idea of a unit of 5 Deathwing Knights riding along with Belial or an Interrogator-Chaplain, a Deathwing Ancient, and a Deathwing Champion. Not because I think it'll be a good unit, but that sounds like a hilarious pile of damage to throw at basically anything.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Meant the capital-T Traitor Legions (Death Guards, Sons, Emp Children, world eaters). Those guys all have a specific list of what they can include =(

It's not a huge deal though. The detachment system is flexible enough that you can just include them somewhere else. Re-rolling the invuln saves (from a 1kSons character) on some of those models would have been cool though.
It seems like that's a list of what can be given the associated legion keyword. There's nothing stopping you from making a HERETIC ASTARTES detachment that mixes them. I'm sure that we'll see faction-specific detachments getting unique stratagems and other bonuses, but for now there's no reason to not go hog wild and mix things. Death Guard are weirdly missing a bunch of units right now, like terminators and havocs which have always been kinda their things. With them in the starter set, I'd bet on them getting one of the first releases which should rectify that and give them a few more options. Marks of chaos don't give out bonuses anymore and just feed into the keyword system so I can see why they left out some units even if it sucks for now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I never play any of the missions with my friends, we just stick something in the middle of the board and call it an objective and we say whoever is camping on it by the end of turn 6 is the winner

This something often ends up being an overturned cup or an empty cardboard box
Playing with objectives is objectively better than this. Just use quarters or something.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Oh, just you wait. You think there won't be bigmarines in 30k this time next year?
There won't be. The Raven Guard Raptors might show up, but biglys are purely a 40k thing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

There's a Primaris upgrade track for existing Marines. Still doesn't explain the Dreds tough.
They said somewhere that the new dreadnoughts are normal sarcophagi slapped into a different chassis.

30k's got like 5 different dreadnoughts. Whatever, this is no big deal.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah that's the same thing venerable dreads get.

Also, that's loving hilarious. Forgeworld has no idea how their own rules work. I guess they expect you to take it in a superheavy detachment with 2 knights or something to make a legal detachment.
You can take just one Lord of War in a Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment. There's no addition or subtraction to the number of command points you get.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:laffo: Ok, so you can't take a simple Spartan. That's rough. I mean, how often is someone going to take multiple super heavies?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I think the bare minimum points would be taking a spartan, guilliman, and a knight gallant in order to legally field the spartan.
You wouldn't need three Lords of War, just two including the Spartan. 1 is not more than 1. It's still dumb and FW clearly only considered the normal detachments when they wrote that rule.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, sounds like typical FW rules writing. I'm sure they'll fix it as it makes running a Spartan or Typhon, etc. exorbitantly expensive if you need two more super heavies. Someone should e-mail them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Be careful with their email responses. They've given clarifications over email that have been wrong in the past lmao.
Yeah, there's only a slight chance they actually ask anyone on the rules team. Most of the time it's just the person on customer service duty making up something.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't like it because it requires that I max out units that I don't want to max out. For example with PL a Battlewagon costs the same if it has nothing or if it has a Deff Rolla, 4 Rokkit Launchas, Grabbin' Klaw, Wrecking Ball, Zzap Gun, and a Killkannon. For most units that's not a big deal, but the lack of granularity on some of the more expensive options is frustrating.
Yeah, that's pretty much my complaint too. I've always been more inclined to take more models over upgrading what I have. Power doesn't work for me and while it may work fine for units like tactical squads who get minimal upgrades, others like Death Company, Vanguard, Sternguard, Nobs, etc. can break the system pretty easily. It's very imprecise and the difference between points and power can be quite huge. You can almost get three basic carnifexes for the price of one haruspex in points while in power you can only get two.

Power seems to make sense for new players and that's about it. I won't be playing like that and I've already written points values in and around the unit entries in my indices to make list building easier.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

The PL system isn't for people who want to squeeze the most out of their list. If you say "now I have to max this unit out to get the most bang per PL" you should be using points. PL is for "lets play some warhammer and drink some beers and have fun and not sweat the list building details too much" type of dudes. And for players who just aren't that good at warhammer, whose play isn't squeezing out the most per turn, or who like to charge their world eaters across the acid slime because that's what they would do in real life...PL seems fine.
Ok, I'm sorry, but this is misguided. The players you described are me. I am them. I have never played competitively in my life and I'm in the hobby entirely for the models and narrative. Most of my lists have goofy units in them because I like them and I make most of my purchasing decisions off of aesthetics. I mean, I play Dark Angels and Tyranids. I still dislike Power.

Now, I'll admit, it's partially because it's different from what I'm used to. I've been into 40k since I was a kid and if I could build a list without a calculator when I was 12, I can certainly do so now. I only plan on using Power to teach new players. Beyond that, it's always going to be points for me. I'm an engineer; I like granularity. :v:

I have a feeling that if GW hadn't completely hosed the layout on points, this topic wouldn't be such a big deal. Making a list by hand out of an index is a goddamned chore. Like I said earlier, I wrote everything in for my Dark Angels and Tyranids and I'm much happier with the indices now. It's nice to simply have the context provided by points when you're looking at a unit entry and list building is as fast as it ever was. I hope the eventual codices are organized better, but I'm not counting on it, at least not initially. I guess I can keep fixing it for myself.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Look if you're worried about getting the most out of units when you do a PL game, then they're not for you. And that is totally fine

But if you built your army 3 editions ago and don't want to break off anyone's arms to kit your unit out to proper 8th edition build specs so you can have the most efficient army, then hey maybe consider PLs
I see this argument the other way. People might be popping off chainsword arms to slap on powerfists thunder hammers to take advantage of the new system. In points they'd have to account for that and there are reasons to keep the cheaper options.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but again, PLs aren't for the people thinking about getting the most "free" points value out of them.

Most of the time 40k has rewarded players for taking cheaper or more efficient choices. If you took anything but grav cannons in 7th edition on your devastators, you were wasting your time

PLs are for people who built heavy bolter devastators, because those look cool as gently caress
I have a bunch of heavy bolter devastators and I don't have a single grav weapon in my army. :colbert: I never bought any because my marines are mostly from 3rd/4th edition.

I'll be honest, man, I know what you're trying to get at, but the "Power is for cool dudes who don't care about balanced games like some kind of grognard" blanket statements are really lame. People can play with what they like; I've been trying to frame my posts as my own personal preference, not an absolute. I just see more loopholes and the possibility for abuse with Power and that's why I'll be avoiding it. It's not that I expect my friends to build lists like that, but I don't like that the option is there. I think it serves its purpose as a simpler system to ease new players into the game and with the right crowd it is probably fine. That doesn't change the fact that it doesn't account for everything. If taking a powerfist, for example, added 1 power to a unit, I'd be more open to it.

It's not for me and that is all I have been trying to get at. :shobon:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This discussion has given me the revelation that I could actually take a regimental or platoon standard in an IG command squad and not have my sanity questioned.
Is there some reason why you wouldn't? :ohdear: Standards are awesome and they're only 5 points.

Endman posted:

Kill Team but with a cool campaign and a little extra thought put in

But yes I'd settle for just 8th Kill Team
Shadow War Armageddon is cool and good. :getin: More complicated though, given it's basically a Necromunda reskin with a simpler campaign system.

I actually played in a 6-game narrative event recently. It was centered around a murder mystery and was a lot of fun. I still want to do a write-up of it because it was fairly unique and my Catachans did pretty well. Won 4/6 of my games and only one was a bad loss.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

The problem isn't how they do the points, it's how the indices are organized. If you didn't have to flip around constantly to write a list it wouldn't be nearly as painful. For that matter, just playing a game as Blood Angels with the Space Marine index is terrible because there are like 4 completely separate parts of the book I have to look through depending on which specific model I'm trying to look up.
I starred every generic marine unit I can take as Dark Angels while I was writing in the points values. The indices have a terrible layout, but it is workable with a bit of editing.

I really hope GW will listen to feedback on this. I shouldn't have to reorganize their work to make it properly readable.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Apparently I posted in the wrong thread so I'll try again here.

So I played DE right back when they got new models, and I am very curious if what I own constitutes a reasonable army now. I assume that since my only HQs were Baron Sathonyx and a Haemonculus that I'll need something new there, but otherwise I have the following:
4x Raiders
3x Ravagers
3x Venoms
20 kabalite warriors
10 kabalite trueborn
10 wyches
20 hellions
6 jetbikes
10 scourges
1 Razorwing

I'm gonna guess I have entirely too few troops but someone here can surely tell me.
What is probably going to be the most common Detachment/FOC, the Battalion, has three compulsory troops and two compulsory HQs. You've got enough Warriors and Wyches to cover that. Alternatively, you can run a Fast Attack-focused detachment with three to six FA choices. There are a bunch of different FOCs now so it's pretty easy to pick one that fits your army.

More wizard van Dark Eldar, please. :pcgaming:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Black Guardians are back to not having their own rules. They're just normal Guardians with their armor painted black again.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My store was running a contest where people could randomly select a model from the starter set and then they'd be given two hours to paint it. Judgements to be done on Saturday. I went in tonight to participate and I got the dumb Babyface Sorcerer. I wanted a regular-rear end Death Guard man. That character has a ton of detail and I hate his stupid face. Two hours went by very quickly.
:negative:

I wasn't able to paint anywhere close to.my usual standard, but I think it turned out fine. I usually favor a bunch of layered fine line highlights and I had to fall back on drybrushing due to time limitations. Still, it was a fun thing to do and I will definitely take part in future competitions like it. I'm usually a very slow painter and speed-painting made for a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures because I am a dumb. :downs:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I am so torn with the new dread. If it had come out with no precedent, I think I would really like it. On the other hand, it's got a bit of a mecha aesthetic that I don't think fits in with the Imperium. I like my boxy boys. :(

I'm sure I'll get at least one though.
Honestly, the new dreadnought is the only new release I'm interested in. GW said somewhere that it's a normal sarcophagus slapped into a new chassis which is totally fine by me. 30k already has like five different dreadnoughts.

I think the leviathan looks cooler, but this new one makes sense as a janky knock-off made 10,000 years later out of existing parts.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So what're y'all's thoughts on flying hive tyrants so far? Now that they don't have AP2 naturally, is it actually worth slapping a melee weapon on there or is it better to keep them ranged with something like two pairs of slime maggot deathspitters?

I built mine using the tyrannofex's fleshborer hive arms so I'm wondering if I should rip them off, use them as four deathspitters, or maybe some weird hybrid of scything talons and two deathspitters.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am that bigmarines can't use normal marine transports. I would totally pick up another Stormraven right now except that it will be useless for what will likely be the vast majority of the new Space Marine releases. Maybe we'll get lucky and GW will come to their senses when the codex hits...
I like it because it lets normal marines keep a niche.

The biglys can get their own rides. :colbert: I could understand land raiders and maybe stormravens, but keep them out of my rhinos. Besides, they're getting their own dumb hovertank and are supposedly getting a flying transport too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

That raises the question though, what kind of ammo do scout sniper rifles shoot? Bolts?
No. Scout sniper rifles are some insane contraption that shoots a small laser to make a hole in an enemy's armor just in time for a toxic needle to penetrate and get into their bloodstream.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seriously.

Some 40k wiki found through google posted:

Astartes M40/A1 Pattern Sniper Rifle - The Codex Astartes states that a Space Marine must be schooled in every aspect of war, and this includes the use of weapon he may not necessarily go on to use as a fully-fledged Space Marine. The Sniper Rifle is such a weapon, and its use fits the tactical role of the Scout. The rifle fires a small dart made from a deadly neuro-toxin chemical. The liquid chemical is frozen into a dart or sliver within the gun before it is fired. Unerring accuracy is afforded by a low power beam of invisible laser-light which drives and guides the chemical dart to its target. If the target is armoured, the beam automatically pulses when the rifle is fired, punching a tiny hole which allows the toxic dart to penetrate.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

incinerating the laser
:thunk:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

108 shots hitting on 3+, wounding on 2+, against a 6+ save is 50 wounds.
S5 vs. T3 only wounds on a 3+ now. Their fancy bolters will ignore a 6+ save so that'd be 48 wounds. If everything works out statistically. Cover would cut that to 40 and catalyst even further.

Congratulations, it took 1350 points to kill like 150 points of gaunts in one turn. :rip:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pidgin Englishman posted:

How the hell are intercessors and hellblasters both 20pts a piece? I realise heavy support Vs troops, but lol if you wouldn't max out on the upgraded plasma guns over bolt 'rifles'. Also lol that hellblaster's power rating is 50% higher.

E: lol sorry, twice the pr
You have to add the points of their weapons too. I think hell blasters wind up at 38 each or something.

The points layout is loving awful.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

They're not an outright replacement, but they look so much better that they might as well be.

Most everyone's eventually probably going to go to using them. They're good sculpts.
I actually like that the biglys are single purpose and niche because it means I can completely ignore them. I'm not a big fan of the models, think their units are inflexible and the inceptors are hilariously over-priced. Their sergeants can't even take melee weapons. I also tend to play mechanized and they can't ride in any of my tanks. :v: I know these are probably placeholder rules for the units in the starter set, but everything has been really underwhelming so far. As-is, they have to rely on the regular marines for melee support and long range firepower since they've got nothing of their own yet. Keyword yet, of course, but it's worth noting.

It doesn't help that I play Dark Angels and all of my special units look rad as hell now so I'm going to be totally fine without them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I love the knights of bigmar, but I did chuckle when I saw the bigmar rhino doesn't fit bigmars.
If you mean the Rhino Primaris, it has nothing to do with the biglys. It shares the same name, but it predates them by quite a bit and it's just a command tank you can buy at Warhammer World. There's a command Land Raider too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't have anyone on ignore. :shobon:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

That's why i'm dying to get some more information on the Repulsor. We know it's going to transport Primaris, just not how many or the point cost.
I fully expect the repulsor to be an over-priced razorback with some idiot gimmick and a capacity of 6 or 7 biglys.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If they wanted to make blasts and flamers work without actual templates, they could've at least tossed some modifiers in. Like a battle cannon could be d6+2 or a plasma cannon d3+1, whatever. You still need to roll to hit, so it's not like they'd necessarily transfer into more hits every time, but it'd help hedge some bets. A simple d6 is way too swingy and I am really disappointed in blast weapons across the board.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, I hate to be the bearer of grim news but Doomrider is apparently dead.
http://occultdetectives.tumblr.com/post/161918774012/tw6464-thighs-syndicate-i-find-it-weird-that
How do you kill a demon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'
:madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax:

A few weeks ago, I took part in a pretty unique event called at my FLGS called The Breach. It was a Shadow War event built around a murder mystery. A planetary governor had been murdered and various factions were investigating to find the guilty party, cover it all up, or simply clear their name. The kill teams represented mercenaries hired to uncover evidence. This somehow included followers of chaos, Tau, Tyranids, etc., but it's best not to dwell on that. We had 12 players and 6 games were played each round.

The campaign replaced promethium caches with evidence cards and, to compensate for the inability to spend them, recruit/rearm points could be stockpiled between missions. Special operatives were also limited, but I'll get to that. Each player was issued a case sheet where they could mark each item as they collected more evidence. We had to narrow down the murderer, the motive, and the location. After each round, the players would receive the usual number of caches as evidence cards. Winners getting d3, losers getting 1, and any others provided by the different missions.

In between rounds, the players would assemble and the winners could propose theories which the losers could refute. If a theory went unchallenged, that player could use a special operative in their next game. Alternatively, if a player refuted a theory, they could field an operative. Maximum of one. However, this was poorly handled and it became a contest to shout "No" first. The idea was that we'd have three items refuted at once, leaving the players to figure out which was the wrong component. Theories usually got stopped after the first item and there was no guarantee the refuting player had any actual idea what they were denying. Additionally, there were a few false positives that the organizer wasn't able to completely eliminate which lead to some wrongful accusations.

After theories were proposed/refuted, players could level an accusation if they felt confident in their evidence. However, an incorrect accusation would mean that the kill team would be cast out and hunted by the others. This in turn would change the mission types in games that involved them. I actually did make a wrong accusation after round 4, but the organizer let me off because it was due to the false positives lurking around.

I hope all of that gets the concept across. On to the tables! There were three awesome tables, two of which were made by the organizer himself. These are pictured below, one was a drydock and the other an asteroid/space station. There was also an underhive map made out of the GW Shadow War terrain, but I did not get a picture of it. Each table was split in two down the middle so that two games could be played simultaneously.

The second picture's from the night before so the other table's missing and there's some weird cardboard standees around.

If anyone cares, here's how my games went:
Mission One - Asteroid
Scavengers vs. Sisters of Battle
I was up against a guy who had played maybe 1 or 2 games of Shadow War before the event and it was a bit of a stomp. He ran his heavy bolter sister forward, giving my plasma gunner a clear shot on the first turn. She went down and spent the rest of the game crawling around. I got two of the three loot counters, eliminated most of the sisters, and the monster actually ate the sister with his one loot counter. I lost one guardsman, but he recovered just fine while one sister was outright killed and two had to miss the next game. Extremely rough for a squad of 6.

I advanced my sergeant and he received Combat Master, allowing him to take on multiple enemies in melee without penalty. This never came up.

Mission Two - Underhive
Ambush vs. Grey Knights
Before the game began, we rolled on the subplot table and it turned out that Gramps, the grumpy, bald fucker in my kill team, somehow how knew one of the Grey Knights and hated his guts. The feeling was also mutual. It never came up, but it was pretty fitting I wound up rolling that guy. Anyways, my Catachans ambushed a kill team of three Grey Knights and immediately took down the psilencer gunner, causing the other two to flee and cower behind cover. My plasma gunner ran out of ammo and my long range firepower was completely neutered. The gunner recovered and the other two calmed down. They then downed my two recruits and my squad bottled immediately. A loss, but one without injuries and it was honestly a pretty funny shitshow.

I had saved up 200 points between the two missions and I cashed them in for a specialist with a grenade launcher with frag and krak. This was also the first time players lined up to test their theories. I refuted one and received a special operative in my next mission. I took a tech-priest to help with ammo checks.

Mission Three - Drydock
Scavengers vs. Chaos Marines (Tzeentch)
Deployment was initially massively in my opponent's favor. Three of the loot counters were on the upper level and he had chosen that side as his deployment zone. So not only did I have to race up there to get loot, I also had an uphill battle the whole way and the slick ground subplot to really limit my movement. Credit to him, he was willing to change his choice to one of the side edges so that we both had models on the upper and lower levels.

This was easily my longest game. It was a lot of fun and was pretty back and forth. The slick ground claimed a few cultists and I took things slow. My plasma gunner ran out of ammo on the first turn again despite the re-roll from the tech-priest. My highlight of the game was when my melta gunner burned the gently caress out of a chaos marine at point blank range. At the end of the game, the chaos marines were pinned all over the board, but had 3/4 of the loot counters. They opted to bottle. Technically a win for me, but I rolled a one for my clues and received two total vs. his four.

One of my guardsmen suffered a head wound after being taken out by a flamer. It was, of course, the guy with the facial scars. He gained frenzy and had to miss my next game. I had no other injuries.

The first accusations started to fly after this round. Every single one of them was wrong and three or four kill teams were cast out and hunted, including my next opponent, another Grey Knights kill team.

Mission Four - Asteroid
Hit and Run vs. Grey Knights
The mission was meant to be Kill Team Fight, but as my opponent had been cast out, it was changed to Hit and Run with me as the attacker. This mission involves a random objective which the defender can not know about. He also starts with a random amount of models on the board with the rest coming in as reinforcements while the attackers also have a random number. Unfortunately, Grey Knights, being a smaller kill team, always take two less than the number they roll. He got allocated three models as his initial defenders and got downgraded to one. I got six. My mission objective was to eliminate that single Grey Knight in close combat.

My initial plan was to down the Grey Knight with ranged fire and move in for the kill while he recovered. I advanced and fired on him, but none of my lasguns did anything so I started moving to my specialists. I opted for my grenade launcher over my plasma gunner because krak grenades are only S6 and were not high impact. I forgot that they also did d6 damage versus a plasma gun's one. :v: Naturally, the Grey Knight ate a krak grenade to the loving face, took six wounds and died immediately. He had nothing else on the board yet so I automatically won. I tried giving him the win because I thought it'd be funnier as I had not technically completed my objective. The organizer told us that, no, I had still won. Quickest game I played all day.

To add further to this dumb bullshit, my opponent rolled a full recovery and a skill for his Grey Knight, opting for shooting and getting re-rolls to hit. Obviously, he got some sweet robot eyes to replace the ones destroyed by that krak grenade.

Once again, accusations flew in between the rounds. I attempted too, but was incorrect. However, I only guessed as I had narrowed things down thanks to those drat false positives. The organizer let me off the hook and I was not cast out. It was around now that we finally found out that players had been assigned to the various accused characters and we were meant to work with their agendas. This should've been said at the start, but the event was a bit of a trial run and this was never delineated until now. I had been assigned to the person I accused which would've been nice to know beforehand. This was a level of narrative that wasn't really needed and didn't add much to the event, to be honest.

Mission Five - Drydock
Ambush vs. Chaos Marines
Again, I was hunting a cast out warband and was the ambusher. I set up my guardsmen in three groups with one in a high vantage point consisting of my plasma gun and two lasguns. Unfortunately, I was counter-ambushed by the aspiring champion and three cultists who all appeared right next to that group. I still got the first turn, but my idiots completely whiffed and they all died horribly in melee. I never recovered and opted to bottle out after I lost a couple more models.

Luckily, all of my casualties recovered just fine except for a lasgunner who would now hate the aspiring champion and had to miss my next game. No big deal.

After round five, the correct accusation was finally made. Turns out that my patron (who I had not known was my patron until the last round and my own attempted accusation) was the murderer and was banished/branded a heretic/executed/whatever. My squad was also cast out by association, making them a hunted warband.

Mission Six - Underhive
Kill Team Fight vs. Orks
My opponent had 16 orks and most of them ran as a single blob. He also had two big shootas which were off on their own. My guardsmen hid out out on top of a building and creeped forward to rain explosive shotgun rounds and frag grenades on the approaching orks. My men were somehow charmed and very, very few of my opponent's shots hit. Even for Orks, they were particularly bad. At one point my plasma gunner was targeted in the open by a big shoota which needed 5s to hit. It rolled 5 shots and missed every single one. My opponent said it was probably karma catching up to him because he'd been nailing everything in his previous five games.

We were both down 1 leadership thanks to a mission subplot and once I downed a few Orks, the blob started breaking apart thanks to its tight grouping and failed break tests. I essentially rained down shots until they eventually bottled out. I don't think I had a single casualty. All of my downed guardsmen got back up.

In my last turn I had charged my sergeant down into the mob for shits and giggles. It was the last game and I wanted to use his Combat Master skill. He had also gotten +1 attack from somewhere and upgraded his chainsword to a power sword. He killed his first ork and consolidated into another, but they bottled out before they could charge and dogpile him.

My finally tally was 4/6 which is fine by me. I only had one bad loss and none of my guys died. My squad also wound up becoming the Catachan equivalent of the A Team, cast out and hunted for a crime they did not commit...

There may be a follow-up event in a few months and I look forward to participating again.

On to the models!

Sarge and his two melee buddies, Roughneck and Shades. Sarge is magnetized for bolt pistol/chainsword and plasma pistol/power sword so that any of his weapon upgrades can be represented properly.

The specialists: Screamer-Killer, Boomer, and The Commandant

The mooks: Deadeye, Pretty Boy, Gramps, and Pitch

These guys are specifically for Shadow War, I don't have an IG army, and I probably spent too much time painting them to a high standard. I built this squad out of two Catachan command boxes and I got a single sprue of the old-rear end Catachans for more bits, though the arms and hands on them are hilariously over-sized. I made sure the arms were properly paired to prevent models looking goofy with different-sized hands. I think the scarred face is from the Cadian command squad. I also wanted to experiment with different skintones and managed six. Googling how to paint them was kind of skeevy, but I'm glad I did it. Guardsmen should be diverse and there should be no prejudice amongst humans except for psykers, chaos-worshippers, and alien-enablers. Ideally, I would've liked to have some women in there too, but Victoria Miniatures, the only person/company I'd trust to get them right, don't have Catachan equivalents. Still, I'm really happy with my squad of babby Rambos Marbos. My personal favorite is Screamer-Killer.

:madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax: