Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Got 2 sets of the primaris, working on bashing one of the Captains with Pedro to make a Bigly Pedro. Also gonna make one of the intercessor squads sternguard. Converting monopose models should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

SRM has posted some nice BT's in the old thread if you click on his posts.

Here's a link to his contributions in the painting thread. Some sexy 30k Ultras too.

From a fluff perspective, I feel like the Templars (as well as possibly the Imperial Fists) might not be so big on Primaris marines. There's the whole Gulliman vs. Dorn rivalry, plus the Templars being so close with the Ecclisarchy are bound to be against any of Cawl's innovations.

Nevertheless, go for it (the above is just my opinion)!

That's not unreasonable.

Crimson Fists being at half strength though makes me feel like they'd go all in on biglies.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mostly finished up the first of my Primaris Marines. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I imagine by the time i paint the last one they'll be perfect.

I need to go back over the cape with black and highlight with dark reaper instead of gray, and I still gotta do his backpack and base.

How'd you do the shoulder emblem?

I'm thinking of using instant mold to quick cast one of my resin pads and use that as a mold for green stuff emblems on the primaris. I actually cut one of the pads off of an intercessor and replaced it with a sculpted pad but no way I'm doing that for all of them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Think I nailed down the blue and red for my Crimson Fists:

I definitely wanted some green in the blue and this worked out really well after going through a half dozen different blues. I tried to keep the red relatively muted with just a bit of pop on the real sharp edges.

I think I can paint my Primaris now.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

SRM posted:

Lookin pretty good. What blues are you using? I'm contemplating rebasing or just repainting the bases on my Crimson Fists to match my other models.

Ended up with Reaper Solid Blue HD as basecoat, with a highlight of Winter Blue HD from above. I'd originally zenithaled but used a different blue before covering w/ Solid Blue so zenithal effect was lost. First highlight is VGC Hawk Turquoise and then a 2nd highlight on sharpest edges/corners of VGC Wolf Grey.

The red is Reaper Crimson Red HD then layered after wash with Reaper Clotted Red and a smaller highlight of Carnage Red. Final highlight on the sharpest bits with VGC Hot Orange.

Everything was washed (pin wash for armor, more of a glaze for the tabard) with a 1:1:1 mixture of wood, blue and red ink from Scale75, which I think helps unify the blue and red.

I'll be painting up a full intercessor squad next and should be cool with all the additional details.

Haven't decided yet if I want to do white or silver for the aquilas or a mix of both. Probably silver because I just think it looks cooler.

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Looks good!

What are you guys planning to use for Primaris shoulder insignia? My FLGS and others are recommending the stuff on shapeways. Anyone done an Imperial / Crimson Fist Primaris with these yet?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HZN8LXRY3/60x-kings-fist-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62861945

Just placed an order for those exact insignia today. Also have some instant mold coming in today and gonna see if I can make a mold from some of my sculpted resin pads (I have all the variations at this point) and use that on the primaris pads.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I hope the enhanced digital editions of the books get updated with the latest FAQ/errata, would be nice to have everything in one place and that seems like the huge advantage of digital media. Also would be great if they added new releases like the new primaris characters and reivers to the index.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Wouldn't trying to cheese with tiny units just get all those tiny units killed in turn 1 shooting (since you'd likely take longer to deploy) and give the enemy a poo poo ton of kill points?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

adamantium|wang posted:

Seconding this.

These are loving awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Finished my first Primaris, pretty happy with the color choices overall (I wanted a greenish hue to my blue armor). Looking forward to fielding a full squad of these dudes in blue and red.

I got some shapeways insignias for the shoulders so this is the only squad that will have the crappy greenstuff insignias, which I wasn't too keen on.

Also, near the end I think I got overzealous with removing dust via bluetack and it started pulling paint off, which is a bummer. Gonna call it battle damage this time around.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Even in death I still serve

I love Dreadnoughts.

Awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Presumably we will have all these answers and more by end of the month come codex release. With how expensive, points-wise, the Primaris are already, can't say I'd want to pay 200 points for a single 10-man squad of intercessors unless they get some cool gear options.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Ya, it doesn't look like there's much to choose from:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/07/40k-primaris-characters-rules-spotted.html

For their sake, I hope those are just the temporary rules that come in the blister pack for the moment, and they're not indicative of how they'll look once the Codex drops.

If you can even take 'em in squads of 10...

The release of the 3-pack raises the question whether the codex will allow larger than 5-man squads of intercessors, which is what I was alluding to.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

dexefiend posted:

My first painting of Space Marines in like 21 years.
Just testing speed painting a bare head, and finding a good approach for yellow basecoat since Zuul infected me with Howling Griffons madness.

That is a great face. I really like the purple push shading below the cheekbones.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

For_Great_Justice posted:

Question about battle scribe. Is there a setting to work in two detachments in the same list? Or do i need to allote points into ine then keep track of it while working on the othet in a completely different list?

Just hit add entry below the unit roster window and you can add more detachments.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

JoshTheStampede is right, the stratagem lets you go right after the first charging unit, not first overall. But I thought the example was going with the interpretation of having 3 separate squads of 3 reavers? Given that's the only way to play them at the moment. It doesn't really matter as of course once the codex drops, they will be taken in normal size units.

I would never discount the stratagem use though - as a SM player, you may be launching another vital charge that turn, or several others. Then you'd have to choose which one you know will get spoiled.

Generally, I think it's very tempting in this edition to charge enemy units with your hardcore assaulters, even if they are quite dangerous in combat themselves. But you're always gambling on wiping them out/crippling them. I think the old standby rule of 'never assault an assault unit' is normally sound. I would only do so if I had no other damage-dealing options, or needed to forestall a charge at my shooting assets. But in most cases, why give orks another fight phase to chop you up in?

The example is with a 10-man Reiver unit since GW's points PDF indicated that Reivers are taken in a unit of 5-10 models. The 3-man squad is just an 'easy build' thing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

You are right, I misread that after hearing the chat about taking several small units to try and stack the morale debuff (which I doubt will stack; they've been careful to avoid such effects on other units)

Yeah, it's a risky strategy which you might have to adopt or which might be the lesser of two evils. Of course the perfect game would be to gun down opposing assault units whilst charging enemy shooting units and leaving some short ranged units isolate do in remote positions until they could be dealt with separately. But who are we kidding, 40k is played on tiny super-congested boards and there's no way any opponent will mess up that badly.

The core rules FAQ states that for effects granted to units within range of some other units, which is to say auras, similar effects don't stack but are granted once when one or more of the applicable units are in range.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Can you retards stop quoting the other retard please?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
The reivers rules also specify ultramarines rather than chapter. They seem quite specific for the starter kit that only has 2 3-man units on a tiny board where infiltrate would be ridiculous. I wouldn't expect these rules to bear a ton of relation to what ends up in the codex.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Okay so I'm doing some 30k Imperial Fists and while I've been passably free handing the chapter insignia on my characters and terminators I really don't want to have to do that for 40+ power armor jobbers.

I found some of my old transfer sheets from before they made them Ultras-only and they're goddamn terrible and don't fit the contour of a mk.3 shoulder pad at all.

What are my options here?

I would personally either get some insignias from pop goes the monkey on shapeway or just buy the imperial fists shoulder pads from FW, they have mk 3 ones I think.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

These drat newmarines are the worst, always checking their spacebook in the middle of battles. The next time I hear one of them making fun of how small I am I swear to the emperor I'm going to join the Red Corsairs!

And don't even get me started on their weird fetish for avocado toast.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Alokgen posted:

Finished another clown car today.

That's a great sculpt and a paint job worthy of it. I like the fading on the diamonds a lot.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

SRM posted:

If millennials didn't buy avocado toast they could all afford Warlord titans.

I was thinking about doing that for my Primaris bros but once I started seeing painted examples of them I wasn't so thrilled. They're just still kinda fuzzy and have those telltale 3D printing lines on them. I came this close too.

I think the insignias (not full pads) look good. Zuul's howling griffons use them and they look great.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Started work on my gravis captain to Kantor conversion:

I feel like the pose works better with a banner than a sword honestly, looks like he's rallying troops as is. Also replaced the feeble boltgun on top of the power fist with an actual storm bolter to read properly as Dorn's Arrow.

I shaved off the hood and put the iron halo on the power pack but still not sure if I want to leave the gorget alone or trim it as well. Thoughts?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

panascope posted:

Cut the pipe down just a little bit, it's too tall. Otherwise this owns.

Agreed, I shortened it considerably after taking this pic to get a more reasonable height for it. Once I wrap up my intercessors (hopefully Monday) I will get this guy and my new reivers done.

The reivers are cool sculpts and I am super excited for the full kit. A bit bummed they're elites, was hoping they'd offer a second primaris troop option.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Dual plasma inceptors look fun.

I like the aggressors, good use of the gravis armor look. Goofy grapple aside, the reivers look great, lots of cool poses.

Edit: I think the posted aggressor box art was stretched, the aggressors in the community preview image look less lanky to my eyes.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 16, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Crimson Fist-specific relic/Warlord trait appeals to me, but they seem to be pushing hard on 'CFs obviously needed new dudes because they were nearly dead!' so I'm concerned that there'll be a big Primaris element to it.

Admittedly this was my own reasoning behind building a primaris-only CF army.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/19/chapter-focus-salamanders-july19gw-homepage-post-3/

Salamander focus. Most interesting bit to me was the blurb about aggressors, indicating they'll have actual build options. And also that they shoot twice if they don't move?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

JoshTheStampede posted:

And that the Salamanders Warlord trait and relic give +1 Str and +1 T, though not clear which is which. My guess is the relic is a salamander cloak and gives T.

The gravis captain with underslung flamer in the artwork looks cool, would be neat if that's an actual wargear option down the line.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

TwingeCrag posted:

This could also be an Aggressor with a Flamestorm Gauntlet, since those are...things now.

Oh, duh. That makes more sense. The black helmet threw me off, made me think Captain or something.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

SteelMentor posted:

That's not a helmet...

He's wearing a MK IV primaris style face-mask, i.e. the lower part of the new primaris helmets, and it is in fact black or at least much darker than the rest of the armor.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
As a CFer, I just want to have a Primaris HQ that can equip a Power Fist, or the fancy new relic they alluded to.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
The Repulsor can carry up to 10 non-jump pack primaris or 5 gravis, cool.

Inceptors get plasma.

Reivers have deep-strike via grav chutes. They are gonna be terrifying, aren't they?

Aggressors look awesome with tons of options. Also, they shoot twice if they don't move (including ow) and they can advance and shoot w/o penalty.

I found this link easier for zooming and such: http://imgur.com/a/J8agS

Also, looks like all the primaris units can be twice as big as we've seen and can be split into combat squads upon deployment.

Also, Inceptors went from 8 PL to 10 and Hellblaster dropped from 12 to 8.

I bet Intercessors get cheaper too. Primaris may end up being reasonably cost effective.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 21, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

It looks like Reivers come with a Bolt Carbine and combat knife by default. The carbine looks like an assault 2, 24" range ap0 bolter. Not bad at all- I think these guys are going to be some new favorites for me moving forward.

E: They're elites. I know I was hoping for fast attack.

No, they come equipped with a bolt carbine and heavy bolt pistol by default.

They can swap the bolt carbine for a combat knife.

e:f;b

From the miniature showcase, it seems to imply that intercessors can take bolter variants like the auto bolt rifle.

Uroboros posted:

I am most curious about matched play points changes, and whether or not Intercessors still can't ride in normal transports, because that second part really is the prime reason never to take them. Marines who walk almost always die.

They can ride in the repulsor at least.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
So, the grappeling hooks seem interesting. You can either equip reivers with grav chutes or grappels (or both or neither I guess). The grappels allow you to move vertically without it counting against your move, which is cool and batman-esque. And they give a modified version of deepstrike (within 6" of board edge).

EDIT: also, the mini showcase has the reivers w/ grav chutes all wearing skull helmets, while the datasheet has them un-helmeted, presumably indicating you'll have 2 head options per model? Which would be awesome if you wanted to repurpose the helmets for your custom SKULLFUCKERS chapter.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

The Imperial Fists relic is a sniper bolt pistol, neat. The Crimson Fists one looks like a power fist with no negative hit modifier.

That seems like an auto-include for Kantor w/ his 5 attacks.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Artum posted:

Booooo. Give me anti-man magna-grapples.

Well, the grappels seem like what you would take on shooty Reivers to get good LOS while grav chutes seem great for stabby ones to deep strike in and charge w/o overwatch.

EDIT: Lots of cost changes. Devastators and Devastator Centurions are more expensive. Inceptors are more expensive. Hellblasters and Assault Centurions are cheaper. (All of this in PL, no clue about points).

Intercessors have to be cheaper if Reivers, with all the cool poo poo they get, are only 5 PL for a 5-man squad.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 21, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Yeah it'll be in every list.

I think Bolter Drill is attack again on a 4+, not everyone. Hard to read the text though.

I wish I could read who is eligible to wield the Fist of Vengeance. I'd love to put it on a Primaris Captain instead of the Power Sword. I never played before 8th, how do relics normally work? Do they only replace a weapon of the same type?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Artum posted:

Before it was just an option for characters to take a relic, but yeah now you're only allowed to replace the type of weapon with it, so you can only trade out a power sword or master crafted power sword for the burning blade etc.

Ah yeah, I see that for burning blade. That's potentially disappointing since thus far none of the Primaris models can take a Powerfist.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

And there's stratagems we can't see too. I really want to know what the Tremor Shells are going to do.

Anyone have info on Dorn's Arrow?

As in the CF storm bolter? It's got stats in the Imperium Index I under Kantor. Or is there another Dorn's Arrow?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Artum posted:

Remains to be seen. There is that captain with a powerfist and pistol from store birthdays already.

True enough. I'll be happy if they give the Primaris Captain the option even if the model didn't come with it, I'm happy to kitbash/convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

The Bee posted:

Alright, just so I can finish workshopping my horrible Grapnel plan; how much impact does vertical range have in this edition, again? I imagine it impacts melee and movement range normally, but does it effect shooting?

In order to target a unit they have to be in Range (p. 179) and distances are always measured base-to-base (p. 176). So yes.