Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wanted to get an index but they were all sold, can someone tell me what noise marines and other Slaanesh looks like. I think I am going to take the death guard from the main box (trading primaris to a friend) but I don't understand if they're allowed to roll with emperor's children or what.

Death Guard look good as gently caress by the way. All of these models look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope GW are going back towards more weird metal album cover art like this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiteWolf123 posted:

"Fixed". Now I can't move my transport, disembark and then assault...

I believe you can if it's an assault or open topped vehicle.

E: I am probably wrong and will leave it to the experts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why wouldn't you want at least one unit of baller rear end chaos space marines with roaring bolters and spikes on them?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

goose willis posted:

You can do the exact same thing with a 10-man havoc squad which is identical in every way to a generic 10-man Chaos marine squad except they can take double the amount of big guns so why would you pick the generic squad?

Are havoc squads troops?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I understand that, but I like chaos space marine armies. I'd take them because I like them.

ALSO:

The ~*flavour*~ will come in when they release the main codex books, is that correct? Like we can expect Chaos to get some more interesting psychic powers and poo poo when they release a Death Guard codex or what have you?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, this is definitely dumb. I think that regular Joe CSM not getting both is whatever, but not allowing 10000 year combat veterans to take both? Madness.

Guess I might need to make some Noise Marines with chainswords. They are the same points as non upgraded Chosen, so an assault unit that gets three attacks a guy might be good for the points in my Emperor's Children.

I like the extra attacks for EC. I used to play Wolves against my friend's chaos marines and it was an exercise in frustration for him because my dudes were better at literally everything they did. He'd get berserkers up the field into cc (after half getting shot to hell) and they'd just get mauled by counter attacking grey hunters or a wave of cheap blood claws while long fangs obliterated support armour. I think he won once against me and half the games I didn't really think too hard or try, my units were simply the same price, but better in nearly every way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

So my takeaway from the last battle:

Heavy bolter devastators did a lot more than I expected them to, thanks to the signum and the cherub.

Terminators performed pretty well. I think they'd do better vs an army that can't trivially make a string of 4 point models across the battlefield to deny deep striking.

Having more bolters and investing in plasma cannons did a ton to help my volume of fire issues. Once they got into my kill zone the 3 tac squads tore tyranids apart.

Chaplains are loving amazing. He took tac marines from being okay in melee, to killing 7 gaunts a turn per squad with those rerolls.

It was my first game with tactical objectives in 8th and I got totally hosed by them. Was pretty rough.

Having a jump pack captain around that can suicide into a character seems pretty useful. Killing that broodlord led to the whole flank collapsing from lack of synapse. If he wasn't my warlord though he wouldn't have gotten the kill, he needed that +1 attack.

Sounds like hordes aren't impossible to defeat after all!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alokgen posted:

"Finished" this thing tonight. Real happy with it. May clean up some of the edge highlighting tomorrow. =\

Looks great dude. I have never finished a model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Now, now, there's plenty of room for a cupola memes around here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I made a 30k power fist sargeant, I think he's sweet as hell so I'm putting him here too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nah that crushed guy is cooked. He doesn't even give a gently caress about him.

I did think about it and felt like it was more baller to leave him there yelling and reaching out helplessly while firing bolt rounds at some other nerd.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've checked these out before while trying to find Emperor's Children heads but I feel like they're a bit rough looking for Blood Angels or EC. I haven't been able to find any pretty boy heads with flowing locks that aren't elves though...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

Actually though, what do people think of stormraven vs land raider crusader for carrying terminators?

Stormraven carries more guns and is cheaper, is faster, the durability difference is probably a wash because of hard to hit. Crusader carries more though, with the stormraven I'd have to carry 5 terminators + a power armor chaplain and apothecary, in the land raider it can be a terminator chaplain plus lots of other poo poo. But the storm raven can carry my contemptor into battle.

I really like flyers because of the whole RAPID TACTICAL INSERTION angle and I am not a big tank fan. I guess it depends what you expect to be fighting. If you are talking about which one to drop your money on I would get the Raven because it's flexible, flyers are good and it can poo poo out a dreadnought.

The Raven is of course way more dangerous for the guys riding in it should they be shot down, but I like to live on the edge.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Take a look at these good boys! They're red and psychic :3:

Tonight on Stargate 40,000

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CC dreads "loving own" now allegedly. So I don't see why not.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow rude.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I make fun of chutche but I don't mind his content since he's just yakking it up about slamming a few hams more effectively.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bombogenesis posted:

Anybody with an index able to post the stats for GK terminators and paladins? Found a box of 'em that I never built.

This is like the time I found a $90 box of blood knights I bought because they looked cool and flipped on eBay for inflation plus 10% :cool:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

In this case, it's actually more about which list I find cooler. than about table advantage. I'm coming up with how I would use both of them so I can see which way I like it better.

I think stormravens are awesome as hell but getting a crusader means I can bust out my relic tanks which look amazing. The two lists are pretty much equivalent as far as which one is better on the table, I'm trying to work out if I want to spend my money to airdrop my contemptor and terminators from a flying land raider, or taking an actual land raider so I can field my 30k tanks in 40k. Because the relic sicaran venator looks loving amazing, it moves 14 inches and can fire on the move. I could be cheap and fit in my 3 mortars for 27 points to open up that heavy support slot but that feels kinda bullshit, I don't like mixing in one guard unit for an advantage. I'm eventually going to get both, but that's a big investment that I'm not going to make for a while since I'm going to eventually pick up a dark imperium box before I do that and don't want to budget like $300 for all 3 of those things.

Man this is a classy post :cheerdoge:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

I'd like to see some numbers on how much the Primaris release has hurt the sales on smallmarines. There's a bunch of stuff that looks pretty good now that I'd never bother to buy before like Whirlwinds and Landraiders but the knowledge that there's likely to be a new, bigger, replacement sometime soon really puts a damper on things.

I would be surprised if bigly tanks were to wholesale replace the main line SM ones but who knows at this point. I guess if you have the money and like the model buy it. A bigger version of it or whatever isn't going to dampen your enjoyment of the current model. Hell I bought one of the last Thunderhawks to roll off the line and was like poo poo, but I like it better than the new version.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

The one thing I'd suggest is that you don't make the mistake of discounting mobility. One of the most common mistakes I see 40k players make when they try to build lists is, because it's difficult to quantify, they completely disregard the role of mobility and assign zero value to the unit's ability to get around the table, reach objectives/combat, and retreat to a safe distance when outmatched. So you end up with people talking about how "crazy" it is that Jump Pack Death Company cost more than Berserkers, when the latter may be more brutal in close combat, but they require you buy a transport to get them there

Yep. I always favour jump assault troops over transport reliant ones because you can rock up very suddenly and a change in the game doesn't leave you out to dry, you just zip off and do/punch something else. There are downsides of course but I have a movement focussed brain in every kind of game I play and I like being able to stunt when it's called for rather than being risk averse and trundling about in a fuckload of metal boxes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ijyt posted:

It was the defining trait of Tau, which are now knock off, sub par Guard.

Haha what the gently caress...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The most unique aspect of my army is it's lovely 7th edition rules everyone is glad are dead and gone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Here's another dump of my Imperial Fist photos.

Your armies are fuckin righteous dudes. Kudos to you both

(Edited because I thought the second post was the same guy! So many good fists)

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you want to play small marines play 30k! It's just as fun as 40k and twice as expensive!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only way 30k will go big is if GW turn around and go "hahahaaha loving sucked in, we just changed the entire scale of the game by stealth, hope your bin can accommodate those land raiders."

Also I think the FW sculptors would kill themselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

Bobby G and Cawl put this plan into motion in the 30k era and I think that's when most of them went into their EZ Bake chambers but Cawl wasn't ready for debut until recently IIRC.

I think they've technically been good to go the whole time, but the holy imperium meant Cawl couldn't keep doing cool poo poo for fear of being murdered. Now that Gooly is back it is on for young and old.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

Honestly, I think that if they can mind wipe space marines to forget about the Grey Knights for like 8-9k years, making people forget about your trial batch of this new tech while the majority remain sealed would be easy.

HH players are massive loving grognards and probably wouldn't buy them.

Not in my historical wargame!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rando posted:

hey, how does he already have 200 years of service?

They've fast forwarded the timeline by just over 200 years. The indomitus crusade is over and primaris marines are in general circulation with chapters basically.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endman posted:

Forgeworld are pretty terrible at anything rules-wise, but the old Imperial Armour books had great fluff. I wonder if they'll ever re-release the big campaign books for 8th.

The 30k red books are fantastic. I've actually got a bit of faith in 7.5 being really good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It sounds like an error and they're normally pretty good at clarifying these things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Be careful with their email responses. They've given clarifications over email that have been wrong in the past lmao.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, there's only a slight chance they actually ask anyone on the rules team. Most of the time it's just the person on customer service duty making up something.

Someone got a response from them re Maru Skara rite of war in 30k and their incorrect email is basically the first google search response. It causes no end of loving problems...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

In the context of 30k being considered to be the GW game for the more "serious" gamer this conversation is amusing me to no end.

It's only serious by virtue of it being for the groggy gamer that wants to play historical Napoleonic battles in some batshit stupid future world of fascist supermen. I've found the people that play the game are as chill or more chill than 40k (which isn't a high chill level, but nonetheless) and often make really loving stupid decisions based on "well, a world eater totally would have tried to charge through that dangerous pool of acid".

JBP posted:

It sounds like an error and they're normally pretty good at clarifying these things.

Obviously when I said this I meant errata or similar. Don't listen to the email man. Forgeworld email man bad.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 21, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh man, yeah, FW has alarmingly bad editing sometimes. They have some headscratchers when it comes to balance too.

To their credit tho, they never went to a full 7th edition and 6.5 30k has been a pretty fun and balanced experience. Meanwhile 7th nosedived so hard GW Prime basically had to reboot the setting :shrug:

I feel like their own game is well balanced after the red books, but imperial armour has always been pretty funny releasing blatantly superior stuff that costs the same points as mainline GW armour and stuff. I think it was the laser destroyer battery for IG that was the most hated as a few of them could clean sweep an armoured column on the first turn and they were cheap as poo poo considering they could reliably blow the poo poo out of land raiders with minimal fuss.

There is also the opposite end where they release a nice model that has cool rules but it is so expensive in points that no one wants to take it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

Speaking of balance:

Fellblade has a demolisher cannon and a gun that's either Heavy 2d6 S8 AP -3 2 damage, or Heavy 2 S14 AP-4 6 damage

For exactly 100 points more (717 vs 817) you can get a falchion with a literal twin volcano cannon with 2d6 S16 AP-5 2d6 damage. They've got some real hits and misses with statting out their 30k stuff. Heavy 2 compared to a 2d6 volcano cannon is super disappointing, even if it also gets a demolisher to go with it.

Well it is cheaper (100 pts will kit out all your sargeants) and the damage number is super reliable on the fellblade, plus as you said you have the demolisher. I guess it depends what you're shooting but AP-4 and 6 dam isn't garbage, plus it can go infantry clearing in the other mode along with a demolisher round which is pretty rude.

But yeah take the huge loving volcano gun because it is a volcano gun.

e: actually I can't work it out in my head, maybe I'm doing mental arithmetic that doesn't make sense and is desperate to justify the fellblade for some stupid reason. The demolisher is nice, but you could take a conga line of tanks with demolisher cannons for that price.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 21, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A god-drat meat grinder, presumably, since they can very easily fight each other to a stalemate.

I bet the Orks don't destroy the Tyranid spawning areas because they've worked out that is where Tyranids come from.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I kind of hate the sisters of silence models, but I love the sisters of battle models.

Why didn't they just make plastic SoBs >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Black_Nexus posted:

I've wondered for years why they don't just make plastic SOB's, I bet they would sell like hot cakes.

I like the sisters of silence, but I hate the heads

I think they would probably sell like any of the second string lines that have good models. The lack of sweet Chaos plastics is another head scratcher.