Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Is anyone in Nottingham? Apparently all the FW indexes are on display in WHW. This is a facebook post about the Hierophant:

quote:

Two dire cannons which are macro 6 str 10 2d6 damage and can supercharge it for d3 mortal wounds but doubles strength of cannon, macro means against titanic or building do double damage, 50 wounds 90 power level. Tried to sneak a pic but couldn't. Anyone in UK they are available to view at forgeworld along with all the other 8th books

Also it's s10 t9 6 attacks bit that goes down as wounds go down. Has lash whip something that do 3 dice per attack so I think it means 18 in total but not sure plus some talons.

Also has troop transport capability and the template weapon it had before. Can't remember if it costs extra but the transport it states what units you can transport and is capacity 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

90power means it'll be roughly 1800 points, feel bad for that dude that owns two for some reason.

Eh, I don't mind how many points it is so long as it can go toe to toe with Imperial Titans now. Watching them get auto-deleted before moving on turn 1 by a much cheaper Warhound was never a fun use of £200+. That leak looks promising; if it can really put out a bucket of ranged damage dice each turn then Hierophants may not be a waste of time.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

I probably could with my R&H, and just about any horde army.

I have a feeling the Brigade CP bonus will be dropped about 4-5 if it becomes the standard, I think it was put in as something intended to be difficult to fit.

Min/maxing squads just for the re-roll bonus goes against the whole point of the formation.

I wonder how effective it's really going to be. At a certain point you're going to be forced to use a lot of the rerolls on lasgun shots and 6+ armour saves just so they're not wasted.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

Is it intended that the grenade harness is AP1 instead of AP-1 I wonder? Weird to pay 8 points for an AP +1 frag grenade.

Likely a typo. Tervigon talons are AP3 on its datasheet but AP-3 in the summary

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ilor posted:

Dumber than trying to deny someone Overwatch by launching a charge from out of LOS? Presumably they'll see you at some point during your charge, and when they do, they'll shoot you.

I'd expect that this mechanism is an abstraction to allow 'surprise attacks' that demonstrate units being caught off-guard from an unexpected angle.

For example, the Dimachaeron has a special rule allowing it to ignore vertical distances during movement, letting it leap over obstacles. The same scenario could apply to any charging jump pack or jetbike units.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

They showed the malanthrope rules in a FW preview post.

So, time to box them up I think. They're pretty terrible.

Uh they're really not. You didn't mention the biggest advantages... firstly they're protected by the Character rule making them a lot harder to pick off than venomthropes. Their spore cloud rule affects all tyranid units (not just infantry), making your MCs less susceptible to heavy weapons in a way that isn't negated by AP. Finally their new Preferred Enemy rule works armywide and can be easily triggered with Heroic Intervention, without them even needing to fight in combat.

Malanthropes are now basically a Prime crossed with a much better venomthrope brood. I do think 200pts is a bit pricey for them, but 150-180 is pretty justified.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Agreed, I fielded a Malanthrope using the preview blurb last week as a test and they seem terrific. Their -1 to hit works on Tyranid Monsters too unlike Venomthropes.

What I'm curious about is the other critters.

I'm taking both a Malanthrope & Dimachaeron for the first time in my game tomoro night, looking forward to seeing how they do. My plan is that the -1 to hit on key units will help land a few early charges.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Cool! Do you know the rules for the Dimachaeron?

They're (just) readable in the FW index digital preview

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/52748/dimachaeron-stats

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

muggins posted:

The malanthrope really only works if there is a typo in its description. It says it affects MODELS but it should be UNITS.

One of the 8E playtester guys (who wrote the Tyranid faction focus article) confirmed it was an error and should say 'units' like Venomthropes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Last night I had my first full-sized game of 8E, deciding to play a narrative mission which was surprisingly fun. We had originally agreed to play 100 power each, but I threw in an extra ~30 at the last minute for the scenario as attacking forces arrive piecemeal from reserve. The game took exactly 4 hours, which is pretty impressive considering it was effectively ~2700pts vs 2000pts and we kept double checking all the new rules and stats. With a bit more experience I can see the same game being done in 3 hours, which is a definite improvement from 7E.
  • Hormagaunts are incredible. I took 60, and despite half arriving late they were just an unstoppable tide that swept away anything they touched - including consolidating into a damaged Russ to finish it off. Only Pask with anti-horde weapons managed to put up any real dent in them.
  • Venomthrope toxic miasma is pretty nasty, providing the edge to get the gaunts take out Coteaz and his retinue.
  • Same goes for the Maleceptor AoE ability, although its combat attacks were underwhelming against a T8 Russ.
  • My lone Carnifex made a desperate charge at a Vanquisher, forcing it to overload its plasma cannons and cripple itself before dropping to a fluke lascannon overwatch shot. Reckon I'll need to at least field these in pairs in future.
  • A Trygon weathered fire from a Russ squadron long enough to smash one of them, exploding it and crippling everything nearby.
  • My Dimachaeron used a stratagem to compensate for its turn 4 arrival, outflanking straight into the Russ squadron to finish off Pask and anyone nearby.
  • The Swarmlord got the worst of the reserve rolls, arriving on turn 4. Even with his double move he didn't manage to reach anything before the end of the game. A little annoying as I was most looking forward to using him.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DO IT TO IT posted:

Were you rolling for reserves? I'm pretty sure you just choose the turn he comes in.

We played the narrative mission Patrol (pg200), where you start with three units on the board and roll for reserves. We both used the stratagems that adjust the rolls up and down, so I was needing 5+'s for reinforcements. As is usual for 40k, my most expensive unit failed both rolls and automatically entered on turn four.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Fuegan posted:

Did they consolidate from a combat they had taken part in and take out the Russ in the same turn? Cause I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

No, they consolidated into it from killing Coteaz and attacked it in the following turn.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If anyone has been playing Tyranids, in your experience are adrenal gland hormagaunts jumping out of a tyrannocyte an effective use of points?

I haven't really had any trouble with hormas reaching combat starting on the board. Having them around helps ensure things like Primes and Broodlords make it across the table too.

Personally I think pods are best used avoided for pure melee units and saved for heavy duty objective grabbers (Tervigons) or shooty alpha-strikes (devourer termies, shockcannon hive guard, zoans, pyrovores)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Please share some Tyranid goodness!

Seconding this. Dying to see what my overpriced shelf ornaments can do now

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Hierophant:
M: * WS: * BS: 3 (oops misprint)S: 10 T: 8 W: 50 A: * Ld: 10 Sv: 2+

35-50+: 12"/3+/6
20-34: 9"/3+/5
5-19: 6"/4+/4
1-4: 3"/5+/3

Dire Bio-cannon: 48", Macro 6, S:10 AP:-2 D:2D6
Bio-plasma Torrent: 8", Pistol 2D6, S:5 AP:-2 D:1 Auto-hits
Lashwips: Melee/ S: User / AP:-1 / D:2 3x hits per attack.
Monstrous talons: Melee/ S:x2 AP:-5 D:2D6

5++
Death throes
Titanic with shooting out of combat with infantry.
Incendiary Ichor: 4+ MW to enemy if suffered wound in fight.
Swarm incubation chamber: Transport 20x Stealers, Gants or Gaunts OR 6x Hive Guard, Tyrant Guard or Warriors PLUS 1x Prime or Broodlord.

Scythed Hierodule: PL:22
M: * WS: * BS: 4+ S: 10 T: 8 W: 22 A: * Ld: 10 Sv: 3+

11-22+: 12"/3+/7
6-10: 8"/4+/5
1-9: 4"/5+/3

Massive talons.
Bio-acid spray: 8", Heavy 2D6, S:6 AP:-2 D:D3 Auto-hits.
Agile: Advance adds 6" move.
Death throes.
Titanic as usual.

Barbed Hierodule: PL:22
M: * WS: 3+ BS: * S: 10 T: 8 W: 22 A: * Ld: 10 Sv: 3+

11-22+: 12"/4+/5
6-10: 8"/5+/4
1-5: 4"/6+/3

Bio-cannon 48", Heavy 6, S:8 AP:-2 D:D3
Massive talons
Agile: Advances add 6" to move. 3D6 charges discard lowest.
Titanic: Can shoot over Infantry if in combat with them.
Death throes.

Meiotic Spores: PL:3 3 per unit.
M: 3" WS: - BS: - S: 1 T: 2 W: 2 A: 1 Ld: 10 Sv: 7+

Explodes within 3". 2-5= D3 MW, 6= D6 MW
Same no VP rules as spore mines.
Can only set up 12" away from enemy via deepstrike.

Stone-Crusher Carnifex Brood: PL: 5 (1-3)
M: 7" WS: 4+ BS: 4+ S: 6 T: 7 W: 8 A: 4 Ld: 6 Sv: 3+

Bio-flail: Melee S:User AP:-1 D:2 Hit rolls= number of enemy in unit within 2".
Wrecker Claws: Melee S:x2 AP:-3 D:D6 Re-roll wounds Vs Buildings + vehicles. 2 pairs= re-roll hits as well vs same.
Chitin rams: 4+ 1 Mortal wound on enemy within 1" after charge. D3 to vehicle or building.

Harridan: PL:32
M: * WS: * BS: * S: 7 T: 7 W: 30 A: 5 Ld: 10 Sv: 3+

16-30+: 30"/3+/3+
10-15: 20"/3+/4+
5-9: 15"/5+/6+

Same cannon as Barbed Hierodule.
Massive talons.

Frenzied metabolism: Suffer D3 MW to add D6 S to cannon for a turn.
Sky attack: D3 MW to a unit it flies over (not characters).
Titanic: Same rules for infantry in combat.
Death throes.

Transports 20 Gargoyles.

Big news - Malanthropes are still 90pts!
Heirophant is 1800
Harridan 740
Stone crushers 98-110 or so depending on gear

xtothez fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 23, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
90pts is so cheap it really has to be a misprint. It's already a better synapse option than a Prime due to 50% more wounds and -1 to Hit. Thinking they meant 190pts

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm still not sure how to live in a world where the massive Tyranid monsters are Not Terrible.

Also still think that Malanthrope thing is a huge mistake.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

The Hierodules seem okayish, the Hierophant is massively overcosted.

All the Titans went up a lot in cost too, and the Heirophant is well in line with those. It costs about 20% more than a Warhound, is tougher and isn't likely to be insta-blapped off the table by one on the first turn anymore*. Conversely, it's now doing a dozen S20 BS3+ shots that inflict 4-24 damage each on Titan targets. Hierophants can now kill Warhounds on turn 1, which is pretty amazing.

*especially with 90pt Malanthropes lolololol

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Looks like it gets hit rolls = # of enemies within 2" instead of attacking, but Xtothez will need to clarify.

Well the hit rolls part is clear, but the issue is how this happens. The rule could be interpreted to mean any of:

a) Do that many attacks for each attack you make with the flail
b) Generate those attacks in addition to regular attacks
c) Generate those attacks instead of all regular attacks like before (although this would clash with the mandatory Bone Mace attack).

For now I'll probably just talk it through with an opponent and see what their take is.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Using bigger bases than you're supposed to should be universally accepted anyway, since having a bigger base is basically an objective downgrade.

It can be both. Anything with an AoE ability would benefit from a slightly larger base.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I wonder if FW will sell out of Elysian drop troops before they FAQ that assault weapons rule.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Basically, FW don't even seem to understand the new points system or have someone to do the most basic proofreading. Sorry to be the stereotypical entitled geek consumer, but it is hard to believe they have the gall to publish things in this condition.

The Tyranid IA rules are pretty fun too, and range from annoying to unusable. These are some of the errors and oversights from just eight datasheets:

• Dimachaerons have a weapon that becomes double strength on 6+ to wound. Yep.
  • Malanthropes give -1 to hit models within 3", which cannot work in the core rules.
  • Malanthrope points are way out of line with ability and power level.
  • Stonecrusher Bio-Flail attacks can be interpreted to work three different ways.
  • Scythed Hierodule weapons don't match what's on the physical model.
  • Hierophants re-use a Scything Talon weapon name from the main GW index with a totally different profile and points value.
  • Scything Talons in general are inconsistently listed in terms or wargear/points compared to the main index.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Luebbi posted:

Does anyone know how new Codicws will be handled? I'd hate to invest in new stuff only to have it conpletely change once again. Hoping it will be mostly new psi powers, command points and keyword stuff instead of "oh yeah, your tervigon now has to roll a d6 to see how many gaunts he spawns, costs 30 more and has 4 less wounds, deal with it".

They've said codexes will continue as before, although there's been no specific details yet. Based on what GW did with AoS, it's likely that existing datasheets will be altered only slightly if at all, with most of the main changes being to armywide shared rules (such as faction-specific stratagems, psychic powers expanded on, etc) and new model kits. They may also adjust points values for matched play based on player feedback.

I'd only expect a change to Tervigon rules if it turns out to be broken or unclear in some way, but you may see points tweaked up or down slightly.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 26, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know. I kind of like the Cargo Container idea. At least it's supposed to be a boxy aesthetic. Plus, it fits into the "Christmas morning" idea where you can play a game right out of the box.

I like cardboard terrain. It's a nice little stopgap solution for people just starting out in the hobby and aren't yet sure they're going to stick with it, and looks better than fighting over coke cans and tissue boxes. Plus very new players aren't going to have the time and money to fill a table with 'proper' sector mechanicus quality terrain. When I was a young 'un in the 90's and had very limited pocket money to drop on spacemans, the card buildings that came in WD or starter sets was invaluable.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Tried out my Scythed Hierodule for the first time in a game last night. In truth, taking it probably lost me the game as I completely overestimated it's durability.

My opponent's Spartan and Xiphon took full advantage of getting first turn, stripping 14 wounds off the Hierodule in spite of the Malanthrope and before I got to use Catalyst to protect it. The degradation meant it had to Advance to stand a chance of charging first turn... I then failed the Onslaught roll and totally forgot about the command point re-roll. Oops. It was quickly dispatched the following turn by another ridiculous amount of lascannon fire. My Hive Tyrant absorbed way more of the same incoming firepower while putting out a healthy amount of damage from it's deathspitters - it was way more effective.
I also overestimated the effectiveness of a Horma/Trygon Prime drop and sent them to wipe out the worthless Cultists on the far side of the board. They did, but I had no defense against the nearby dread and that assault quickly stalled.

On the upside, the Exocrine, Shrikes and Genestealers were absolutely fantastic and kept me in the game far longer than expected. The minimal unit of Shrikes were able to get off a surprise charge on the Xiphon fighter from behind a building to deny overwatch, and helped take enough wounds off it to degrade it's nasty firepower. They then piled in to help the 'stealers, who took out a Sorcerer Warlord, Terminators and a few marines despite being horribly outnumbered.

If I'd used the Hierodule points on some combination of more Exocrines, Hive Tyrants or Trygons it would have been a very different result.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm no fan of superheavies generally unless everyone agrees to Apoc-level silly poo poo. A friend quit her Orks after a 6th ed Apocalypse game of just the Transcendant C'tan murdered her two Stompas like it was nothing.

Old Apoc was all about spamming the D and abusing huge balance discrepancies (C'tan vs Stompa, Warhound vs Hierophant, etc). Virtually every Apoc game I've played would start with my expensive poo poo getting deleted off the table before it could move, leaving me wondering why I own these expensive centrepieces.

First impressions and all, but 8E seems to have made huge improvements in this aspect of 40k. Standardising how unit profiles work smooths out the all-or-nothing rules (like those large units that didn't quite make the super-heavy grade). Everything can hurt everything else, so no more being stuck unable to hurt AV13/14 or needing to land fluke hits on a flyer. Lifting the stat cap means more granularity, rather than tipping points like Str10 to StrD. Higher wound counts & more frequent damage give a psychological boost as you see you're making progress, rather than needing fewer impacts that bounce off more frequently.

While I'm still not about to bring a Hierophant to a typical game, I definitely feel more comfortable about seeing Titanic units outside 10,000pt+ whole-weekend events. They're now a natural progression of the game system, rather than an ugly extension bolted on top.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Thinking of trying out this gimmicky swarm list in my next game. There's over 200 wounds to deal with here, most of which will be subject to -1 to hit or is an untargetable character.

For once I'm not using any 'real' MCs (Malanthropes don't really count), just sheer weight of bodies. Figure I can quickly tie up any shooty threats while the 'stealers and Warriors bring the damage, using the 9CP to make them more reliable. In the meantime I can control virtually every objective on the table.

quote:

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [131 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [97 PL, 1335pts] ++

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]

Malanthropes [30 PL, 270pts]: 3x Malanthrope

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 109pts]: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Devourer

+ Troops +

Genestealers [12 PL, 180pts]
. 15x Genestealer: 15x Rending Claws

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 162pts]
. 27x Hormagaunt: 27x Adrenal Glands

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 162pts]
. 27x Hormagaunt: 27x Adrenal Glands

+ Fast Attack +

Gargoyles [12 PL, 168pts]
. 24x Gargoyle: 24x Adrenal Glands

Tyranid Shrikes [12 PL, 122pts]
. Tyranid Shrike: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Spinefists
. Tyranid Shrike: Adrenal Glands, Lash Whip and Bonesword, Spinefists

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [34 PL, 665pts] ++

+ HQ +

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 109pts]: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Spinefists, Toxin Sacs

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 105pts]: Adrenal Glands, Scything Talons, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs

+ Troops +

Ripper Swarm [6 PL, 99pts]: 9x Ripper Swarm

Termagants [9 PL, 180pts]
. 15x Termagant (Devourer): 15x Devourer
. 15x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Termagants [9 PL, 172pts]
. 16x Termagant (Devourer): 16x Devourer
. 11x Termagant (Fleshborer)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

You've got the bodies, but not the hitting power. All those adrenal glands aren't really worthwhile on most of those models, you should keep your hormagaunts cheap.

You should drop whatever you can to get a second unit of genestealers in, since they're what's going to be killing things. The termagants will do a pretty good job with their shooting too, but a good sized brood of genestealers will eat T7 vehicles in one fight phase. I've seen a few games with gargoyles and they've never done enough to make it worth bringing them for their cost. Dropping them, the ripper swarm, and the hormagaunt adrenal glands lets you field 2 20 model units of genestealers (replacing the rippers for that troop slot) with about 20 points left over.

Some good points here. I'm always tempted to auto-take adrenals now because they're good and cheap, but you're right that they don't really benefit these screening units well and I do need more punch. I've dropped the Gargoyles & Shrikes, tweaked a few other units and will bring 2 x 16-strong 'stealer broods with toxin sacs.

I'm gonna keep some Rippers in though. Not only are they a cheap, handy way to hold objectives while being obnoxious to remove thanks to LoS, but they fit the swarm army theme well. Plus the FW ripper models I own haven't been fielded since I painted them, and they do look cool.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

I noticed something amusing. Skarbrand has a rule which forbids any units within 8" of him from falling back. This means if you pair him up with a bunch of Furies or other flying guys you can make any flyers with a minimum movement automatically crash by charging them and parking him within 8".

To be fair, most flyers that end up in combat with Skarbrand won't live more than phase anyway.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

I noticed something amusing. Skarbrand has a rule which forbids any units within 8" of him from falling back. This means if you pair him up with a bunch of Furies or other flying guys you can make any flyers with a minimum movement automatically crash by charging them and parking him within 8".

40k FAQ posted:

Q. If Skarbrand is within 8" of model that can Fly and has a minimum speed (such as a some Flyers), and that unit starts its Movement phase within 1" of an enemy unit, what happens? Is that unit destroyed because it cannot Fall Back and so cannot move its minimum speed?
A. Correct, the unit is destroyed.

Edit: OK this is bullshit. If you take multiple chainswords you get +1 attack for each, but if you take multiple sets of scything talons you only ever get +1 attack total.

At least GSC got some nice improvements though. Nid/GSC/AM detachment armies are legit, and purestrains got errata'd from 18 to 10 points per model

xtothez fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 2, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

:laffo:
So I guess GSC Purestrain Genestealers are 10 points now. That's less than Tyranids' 12 and they get Cult Ambush out of the deal. They also manage to be cheaper than Acolytes. What the gently caress?

Purestrains can't take toxin sacs for that awesome double-damage rending, and only gain morale immunity from a Patriarch rather than any synapse unit. They also trade the benefits of Catalyst for the more offensive Broodmind powers. apparently powers affect <TYRANIDS> rather than <HIVE FLEET> so this is OK.

Considering Patriarchs are 12pts cheaper too I'd still be tempted to bring a GSC Vanguard detachment though.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 2, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

Rewriting rules is what they've always used FAQs for.

The solution is, if your collection is small enough that you legitimately need to use understrength units, maybe stick to open or narrative play. Matched play shouldn't have dumb poo poo like this.

Perhaps not, but personally I'm relieved that this change came in the same release that made Tyrant Guard a unit size of 3-6 for matched play. Putting more than 1 or 2 in a smaller list can be tough.

Who the hell needs ~250pts of bodyguards anyway?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm 3 fexes short of being able to run this:

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [106 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Tyranids) [106 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Old One Eye [7 PL, 140pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [18 PL, 324pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe

Carnifexes [12 PL, 208pts]
. Carnifex: 2x 2x Deathspitter with Slimer Maggots, Thresher Scythe
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bone Mace

Stone Crusher Carnifex Brood [15 PL, 356pts]
. Stone Crusher Carnifex: Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe, Wrecker Claw & Bio-flail
. Stone Crusher Carnifex: Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe, Wrecker Claw & Bio-flail
. Stone Crusher Carnifex: 2x Wrecker Claws, Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

How reliable are the rumors posted on Faeit212?

They posted something today about some new Primaris stuff that's been seen:

Generally rumours on Faeit are either copied & pasted from an earlier post elsewhere and could sometimes possibly be true, or gets submitted anonymously and is total bullshit.

In this case they're repeating something posted on Dakka earlier today.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

149 Razorwing flocks

8th edition ladies and gents.

Now I feel guilty. For the game I have arranged tonight my gimmicky list is a swarm of ~150 bodies with a bunch of Broodlords, Primes & Malanthropes to steer them around. After getting pasted by mass lascannons last week I'm kinda looking forward to any heavy weapons having nothing but gaunts to shoot at.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

149 Razorwing flocks

8th edition ladies and gents.

xtothez posted:

Now I feel guilty. For the game I have arranged tonight my gimmicky list is a swarm of ~150 bodies with a bunch of Broodlords, Primes & Malanthropes to steer them around. After getting pasted by mass lascannons last week I'm kinda looking forward to any heavy weapons having nothing but gaunts to shoot at.

So it turns out Tyranid swarms are also pretty effective! My opponent did manage to wipe out all of the combined 70 hormagaunts / genestealers, but by then all the characters were in his deployment zone forcing units to constantly fall back. The highlight of the game was when a Daemon Prince charged to finish off the last two genestealers left of a brood, only to totally whiff his attacks and end up getting caught by a Broodlord which killed the prince outright on the charge. Broodlords just tore poo poo up. The game finished something like 15-5 on VPs as the termagants across the centre of the board were largely untouched and could claim nearly all of the objectives at will.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Danimo posted:

question about combat consolidations:

You consolidate 3" after your unit fights, then combat continues right? My opponent insisted he could consolidate after all the fights happen, so that he gets within 1" of my Rubric Marines that weren't charged and the Rubrics don't get to fight back.

I'm like 90% sure he was wrong but he insisted and I didn't care much since I could and did smite them off the table before shooting anyway.

I'm liking 40k but I've never had so many weird rules disputes in other minis games.

After double-checking this it turns out I've been playing this wrong for the last few games. We've been making consolidate moves at the end of the fight phase, rather than after each unit activates & fights.

In fact you're right; if you consolidate into another unit then that unit will get a 'free' activation to fight you that turn, which I guess is a nice compensation for not getting overwatch.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Is there an official place to submit rules queries other than the public facebook page? Were all the FAQ contents sourced from there, or is there an email address people send to as well?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

SteelMentor posted:

Supposedly there should be a page going up on Warham Community for it, but it's not online yet. Announced it alongside the Matched Play rules on a stream a little while back.

I found this address mentioned on another forum gamefaqs@gwplc.com and emailed them this. Basically a FAQ precedent for keywords in AoS would make some of the Tyranid character bonuses less effective with how they're currently worded. I don't think this is intentional, but at the same time I don't want to see Tyranid players building lists around RAI only for some TO to rule against them on RAW.

Hopefully they'll errata the rules to use keywords instead so it's perfectly clear.

quote:

Hello,

After a recent game we had a query on how aura bonuses work in the new 40k with the characters that provide them, specifically Tyranids.

There was a FAQ for Age of Sigmar which says when a keyword is being used, it appears as KEYWORD BOLD. Any other unit reference should be considered as a specific unit type. Should this rule of thumb apply to 40K also?

So for example, a Broodlord gives a bonus to 'Genestealer units' nearby. A Broodlord has the GENESTEALER keyword, so does he receive his own Brood Telepathy bonus or does it only apply specifically to Genestealers?

Similarly, does Old One Eye benefit from his own +1 to hit for having the CARNIFEX keyword, even though he isn't a 'Carnifex unit'?
and got back:

quote:

You’ve reached the rules mailbox for Games Workshop - thanks for your email!

We’re not able to respond to each email individually, but we read every one and feed all comments back into making Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I'm very surprised there's not separate primaries codex though, I would have bet could that GW would push them as a different line.

If they really want to push bigmars the best way is to put them in every marine codex. They'll start with the vanilla stuff available to basically everyone like Apothecaries, Librarians and grav tanks, before eventually moving onto updating old character models like BigDante or BigAzrael.