Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

:sun: It's all tallboys by the pool on this special summer Badcast! :sun:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/06/26/40k-badcast-12-summertime-and-the-hammins-easy/

Can confirm Dan smells like cocoa butter and booty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

Ouch, Huzzah's pretty out of the way for me (To the tune of an hour and a half, though my usual store (Games and Stuff in glen burnie) is 50-60 minutes away since I live in Southern Maryland. I could make it over, but not really a regular thing. Dream Wizards seems a bit more managable a drive. Of course, there are probably more NOVA goonhams than Southern Maryland ones.

Since I can't really provide a place to play, I will extend an open offer to bring over some booze or buy some pizza for anything I can make it to at someone's house. Goons east of the beltway and annapolis area or further south especially welcome.

On a related note, how is the GW Store at Bowie? I heard it got shrunk down massively and is only 2 tables now or something, but that comes from someone who has written off all orks as horrible trash after playing three games with them, so I'm not sure how much I can trust his opinions on things being terrible.

Sup fellow Southern MD Goonham! I live in Waldorf. The Sex Cannon can attest that I am not a murderer.

The GW Store is no longer called GW; it's a "Warhammer" store run by one guy named Kevin who happens to be really nice and is trying his damndest to get a community up and running. Currently the store is mostly full of painters. It's clean, reasonably accessible, and Kevin is actually a pretty decent guy. It's worth the drive if you want to get out of your house. How the hell are you getting to G&S in less than an hour?

Also Orks are amazing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

It's mostly that I live closer to Annapolis than you do. About the same distance to Bowie, though.

I'm in Owings, right on Route 2. 2 may only be 2 lanes, but it goes pretty much straight to annapolis and is almost never congested, and then 97 moves really quickly outside of rush hour.

If you ever want to get a game in, be it at bowie or otherwise, my schedule is reasonably open. I pretty much can't do jack on a work day, but I have days off during the week fairly often and can play whenever on those, in addition to weekends. If you want, I can PM you my facebook or whatever so we don't poo poo up the thread too much.

Sounds good to me. High Tide Games is equally far from me but is definitely more grungy than Bowie.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

God drat it I want to blow the gently caress out of everything with battle cannons, thanks for nothing 8th edition.

Yeah they're just not good against much of anything. They aren't reliable and don't do much damage when they do hit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem is that there's no difference between weapons that used a large or small blast template. I would change it to 3d3 to represent the increased blast area compared to the smaller weapons.

Alternatively they could have created a "Blast" weapon type where you get up to a set number of shots depending on the number of models in the target unit. So a "Blast 6" weapon would roll up six dice if the unit has six models.

Or you could have it be one shot per X models. So a "Blast 3" would get one shot for every three models in the target unit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't want to make promises or anything

but there's like a 105% chance that I'll draw penises on most of the things you own

This just means the penises will be 5% larger than average.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

Games and/or Stuff is a solid store, but I'm good with hosting since I won't have to go anywhere and also we can get trashed. July 15th, then? Once we have an invite list together I can PM people the address, but like I said, north of Baltimore, just off of of 795. A table would be a good thing to bring along, if you have one - I have a 4x6 and a 4x8, and I can borrow enough terrain from ShadowDaesh to populate a third, but I don't have enough actual literal tables. Worst-case I'll just buy a folding table, I guess.

Caveat: I have a cupola cats, so if anyone is allergic or just hates cats, that might be a problem.

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

I endorse visiting other people's houses. I might be able to offer my place in the future. Also according to Amazon at some point in the past I purchased a folding table that I could bring, I would just need to get a top for it. Which I might just make for myself because I need a 4x6 space since my 5x5 table is weird.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Received an Ork Warboss on Bike. Had a busted part. Called FW requesting a replacement for the part.

A second Warboss is now being shipped to me.

I love Forgeworld.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ignite Memories posted:

can i have the broken one

Nope. Biker warbosses are amazing in 8th and I need as many as I can fit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I suspect eBay will continue to be a great place for cheap Primaris and Deathguard, especially if the cheaper starter sets have other stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Marines Malevolent should fit right in with this kindler, gentler Imperium 2.0.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ork Warboss on BIke w/ Power Klaw
W7, 4A, 14" Move
4 S12 attacks hitting on 3+, -3 AP, d3 damage plus 2 attacks at S4, -1 AP, 1 damage

111 Points

Zhadsnark da Ripper
W8, 5A, 15" Move
5 S12 attacks hitting on 2+, -4 AP, d3 damage
Automatically Advances 6"

110 Points

Good job Forgeworld.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff they messed up.

Point costs are very similar, Zhadsnark misses out on an attack squig so actually nets one less attack, and Zhadsnark doesn't have the option of taking something like a Kombi-skorcha.

Main discrepancy is in the wound difference.

Zhadsnark gets 5 attacks that hit on a 2+ with a better AP. So on average he's doing 4.2 hits while the Warboss (who, again, costs more) is only doing 2.7. And then Zhadsnark does more against armor. I haven't read the rest to see what's worse, but it's still pretty bad.

Also the Big Mek in the list includes the rules for a KFF but doesn't actually have one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Kingfish posted:

I'm gonna wear my stink face whenever anyone asks if they can bring FW poo poo.

OTOH if it's a tournament I abso-loving-lutely will be taking the better biker warboss.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Your forgetting the two squig attacks. On average 1.6 will hit. Granted they don't wound as easily.

The ability to take something from the Shooty list shouldn't be discounted. You can fire both the Kombi-Skorcha and the dakkaguns. It actually gets funny with a big Mek on a warbike. Since you can take two Kombi-Skorchas and fire everything.

Yes, on average 1.6 will hit. So you're getting a net of 4.3 hits. For the same amount of points. It's an obvious error and they should address it.

And while I agree that you can do some crazy things with shooting, you also have to pay for that. Two kombi-skorchas is 38 points, and while that's a lot of damage that the model can do it's also (IMO) a lot of points.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is well known that anyone who uses ForgeWorld models is a degenerate madman.

Can confirm. Plan on building Ork Biker Warboss. Am madman.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Which one of you nerds is responsible for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjStciqDf0

I guess my gaming buddies aren't so bad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Have fun charging my demolishers, Beer4thBeerGod's ork boyz.

Battlewagons and pile-in moves are my friend.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I have a tourney today, 1k points, one "Patrol" detachment only. Mission will be secure and control (the old one objective each, auto tie). You can get up to one bonus command point for being fully painted or fully WYSIWYG.

I had been playing a lot of my demons so I wanted to try out my night lords:

I was building my own spreadsheets to make my lists, then that webpage builder was good enough, but then it went under, so I am back to this...

I figure the bikes and raptors will be fluffy while I get to play with two Demon Princes (my fav unit and models). I am worried it is a little too strong since I can reliably get 2+ to hit rerolling 1s on the biker unit, and it could move somewhere between 28 inches on the first turn and assault something with a lot of chainswords.

I'll try to take pics and report back how the event went.

That's a great spreadsheet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Good news! We're all having fun the right way!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miles O'Brian posted:

This spreadsheet is extremely rad and is very 40k to me. Very reminiscent of the roster sheets in the 3rd ed rulebook

Seriously. WOM would you mind sharing it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

What would be a good model from the entire 40k range that can be painted up very ornately and given things like gold foil decorating it? Something decorated like a religious icon, basically. I'm thinking a highly-revered dreadnought or something like that.

Land Raider Excelsior, but it's only available on eBay unless you're in the UK.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Got another game of 8th edition in today.

1. Orks are good, and they murder poo poo in close combat (which happens on T2 with regularity).
2. Orks have a problem dealing with flyers.

Flyers are definitely a challenge. I think Stormboyz might be helpful.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raphus C posted:

Stormboyz are a steal. They are stupidly quick and I am thinking about replacing Boyz with them. Only problem is I need more models and they are expensive.

Yeah it's a challenge. Personally I think that the only reason to have regular Boyz is because you're filling out a troop slot. My army has a unit of 30 Shoota Boyz that I keep around because they're painted, but I wonder if I really need them versus something that's more mobile.

Pendent posted:

Speaking as someone who leaned really heavily on a pair of Stormtalons against an Ork army, melee just doesn't cut it against flyers. My opponent was able to get a good charge off with his Stormboyz but only knocked a few wounds off my flyer which proceeded to fall back and shoot him to pieces from a safe distance.

If I were a good player he never would have got that charge off at all, and there's zero chance that the Stormboyz would have been able to catch my flyers after the first assault. The difference in movement capability is just too much.

Good information. How many Stormboyz did he have? Do you think that there is anything viable for Ork players who want to take on flyers? Dakkajets came to mind but 18 S6 shots hitting on a 5+ is only 2 wounds. Maybe defenses?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Where does everyone go for scenery? I'm looking for more things like the SW:A mechanical stuff and city/industrial and less of the Gothic look.

Hex Platformer is cheap and fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

I e been looking at Pegasus. The chemical plant one is fantastic, only the scale is a little small.

I love Pegasus and highly recommend them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Let me preface this by saying I don't know the Ork codex as well as I probably need to given that they seem like a perfectly viable army these days. I also had some issues during this particular game with my opponent not being clear with me on how things were armed or even what he took- on turn three he deepstruck a unit of Kommandos or something that I wasn't even aware were a part of his list since they were sitting with the rest of his models on a completely different table. I digress.

The Stormboyz looked like they were 10-15 models. The issue from what I remember was that he only had a single power klaw in the entire group, which fortunately managed to miss every attack he made with it. I'm not sure if he could have taken more in the squad or not, but given how the rest of his list looked I feel like if he could have he would. Buying a vehicle, even a relatively fragile one like a Stormtalon, under a simple volume of attacks seems like a losing proposition.

The single thing I was most afraid of killing my fliers all game was a large squad of lootas with some sort of weapon that got d3 shots but did 2 damage per. They were able to put out a pretty decent weight of fire and I think if he'd focused them on one of the Stormtalons I may have had issues.

15 Stormboyz is only 120 points, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do much. This edition seems to be all about getting massive squads. For example 30 Boyz and a PK Nob will cost 265 points and assuming none die before charging they will have 116 S4 attacks and another 4 S10, AP -3, D3 damage attacks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Q. The Ork Battlewagon’s Mobile Fortress ability says the
Battlewagon ‘ignores the penalty for moving and firing Heavy
weapons’. Its Open-topped ability says that ‘restrictions and
modifiers that apply to this model also apply to its passengers’.
Does that mean that a unit embarked also ignores the penalty
for firing Heavy weapons if the battlewagon has moved?
A. No.

:(

Yeah. Kind of sucks but it makes sense. Not sure if Lootas and shooting BWs are worth the points.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cooked Auto posted:

At least the Demolisher cannon change seems nice.

What did they change?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Are all the details gonna be preserved on the model itself or am I gonna see some softening going on?

I've never seen any problems with Simple Green.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I think you can only run an understrength unit once. Like the rule is that if you don't have enough models to fill out a full unit you can do it; if you have enough models that you can make a bunch of 1-model units then you'd have to combine them into a unit.

So you couldn't have 6 1 model tac squads, but you could have a 5-model tac squad, a 1-model one, and 1 scout to take up 3 slots.

Yup. "One unit of that type."

So as an Ork player I can get two extra Troop units by having a single Boy and a single Grot.

Imperium can do all sorts of stupid stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got another game in with The Sex Cannon. Even Yarrick cannot withstand the might of the Ork onslaught. :orks101:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I have a philosophical question for you guys. I put together a list that I thought was both fluffy and pretty powerful, and at least based on the four games that I've played it's decidedly un-fun for my opponent:

2x Warboss Bikers w/ Klaws
1x Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

3x 20 Slugga Boyz w/ PK Nob
1x 30 Shoota Boyz w/ PK Nob & 3 Big Shootas

3x Battlewagons w/ Big Shoota, Deff Rolla, 'Ard Case

The problem is that they get in my opponent's face at turn 2 at the latest, and often turn 1 with the 30 boyz teleporting in. Anything designed to shoot tends to get locked up in close combat, and then by turn 2 the battlewagons hit and start to really mess things up. While it's not as obviously gimmicky as a flyer spam or that razorwing flock army, it's been pretty rough on my friends. So I'm curious; what's your philosophy regarding lists like this? Is it not casual enough? Would I be better off trying something else (I did buy a bunch of Primaris) and then holding off on the Orks?

It's not like my opponents are rude about it or anything. We're all learning the game and just want to have fun. But it's clear they're not enjoying themselves and I'd rather they did.

So what's your philosophy on stuff like this?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Because they go in Battlewagons...

The extra attack is a nice to have feature that sometimes matters in footslogging mobz of 30, but it's actually a pretty small part of their value.

The funny thing is that with the teleporting I would probably be better off making the unit of 30 slugga boyz instead of shoota boyz, but those are the models I have. Ork shooting is really uninspiring.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Flyers are really, really good against horde armies. A couple Stormtalons will do some seriously heavy lifting against Orks in particular.
Basically in my experience it's all about using a combination of screening units for your backfield and fast flankers (EG Stormtalons) to split stuff up. No, you can't kill enough Orks to survive 90 boys hitting your any at once- that's why you have to use your own mobility.

Yeah I think flyers might really be a solid option. Orks REALLY struggle to take them on since their shooting is poor and there are only a few units (Stormboyz and Deffkotpas) that can engage them in assault.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

So I'm the guy who had no fun against this list. Beer4TheBeerGod is a super nice dude and I, for one, am totally ok with him taking this list. I played with what I wanted to play with and so did he. Some things:

1. Will I play this list again? Yes, though I'll specifically tailor to it. I feel a scout sentinel screen could have stopped his 30 ork shoota boyz in their tracks and given me more breathing room. I also feel my deployment could have been smarter.

2. I'm re-learning how to play IG in 40k. I wasn't particularly good at it in 7th, and, big surprise, I'm not good at it in 8th so far, either. I also don't have the best units available to IG. You can bet your butt that I'll get them, but I prefer to play with fully-painted models only, and it will be a long time before I can get them done.

3. I definitely look forward to playing with Beer4TheBeerGod again. He let me borrow one of those child gate things so I can more easily integrate MY GIRLFRIEND's cat and my cats without them killing each other. He's a true broski.

Everyone go listen to my loving podcast.

:orks::hf::commissar:

I will say I have never been more motivated to pain than after playing your army. I genuinely feel bad that you end up facing a partially painted horde. On the plus side I think I've locked down a good approach for painting yellow for my Marines Malevolent so I should be able to get a Bigmar force running quickly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

As far as I'm aware, it's only the Inceptors. At least for marines, that is.

I can't imagine why charging with them would be a good idea, unless it's against units that can barely fight back.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So Primaris players, how are they working out? Any tips or recommendations for someone interested in Bigmars?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

They look awesome. Everything else is secondary.

This is true, and as soon as it stops loving raining I plan on getting my first dudes done as Marines Malevolent. I just figured it would be interesting to get some feedback on what works and what doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

I'm a bit iffy on the Easy to Build prices. Your average squad of tacticals is $4/model, and they aren't monopose and come with way more weapon options. For simple kits like this, I feel like $10 would've been the real ideal. Hell, that'd put these 6 Poxwalkers about on par with the current 5-man Cultist set pricewise, and put the other models more in scale with what you could expect from basic troop pricing.

The bundle for $40 I'm fine with, but considering my earlier analysis that's about what I'd value all of those models at combined anyway.

The models in First Strike add up to $60 not including the other stuff, plus buying the models direct from GW produces a $15 ceiling, so I would expect them to be dirt cheap on eBay.