Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if crowley runs i'm going to bring it up every single time a centrist tells me i need to support the lesser evil

i mean, i already have that other centrist lady who was super angry about third party voters i can point to, but crowley is just proof positive that the centrists don't care about that bullshit when the shoe is on the other foot.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

succ for the succ gods

https://twitter.com/spongedress/status/1017408863325249547

https://twitter.com/Blue_MD/status/1017413609561833472

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

It turns out the resistance trump replier doctor is a huge creep
https://mobile.twitter.com/doctormeowskis/status/1016508632652017666?s=21

he's currently melting down on his own tl about it

reading this made me feel terrible. i'm surprised she didn't realize the "mystery girl who discovered her and was obsessed with her bf and loved him to death" was him earlier. still glad she got out of that hosed up relationship

that he was willing to pull that poo poo on her proves how warped of a human being he is

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Terror Sweat posted:

i dont know who that is and i dont really care to be honest

i don't know who it is either, but reading about his behavior makes me ill

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/BertoltMEHcht/status/1017407183317696512

how could people call right wingers republicans!! how indecorous :qq:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agnosticnixie posted:

The lanyards having a laugh at AOC for being worried he's going to spoil the race are probably the exact same people who blame the failure of the public option on Lieberman while also being glad that the democrats rewarded him for losing his primary.

they'll easily and quickly transition to "she shouldn't be afraid of a little competition!"

centrists are already starting to take that line

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh, also "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"

if you're wondering how they can try to say that with a straight face, they are basically saying that since jill stein ran and "cost hillary the presidency" it's totally cool for crowley to run as an independent after losing the primary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

I thought he lived in Virginia

he do

but you see, that's not election fraud unlike what the WFP wants him to do!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

neoliberalism.txt posted:

It's very plausible that one reason American workplaces have gotten safer over the decades is that we now tend to outsource a lot of factory-explosion-risk to places like Bangladesh where 87 people just died in a building collapse.* This kind of consideration leads Erik Loomis to the conclusion that we need a unified global standard for safety, by which he does not mean that Bangladeshi levels of workplace safety should be implemented in the United States.

I think that's wrong. Bangladesh may or may not need tougher workplace safety rules, but it's entirely appropriate for Bangladesh to have different—and, indeed, lower—workplace safety standards than the United States.

The reason is that while having a safe job is good, money is also good. Jobs that are unusually dangerous—in the contemporary United States that's primarily fishing, logging, and trucking—pay a premium over other working-class occupations precisely because people are reluctant to risk death or maiming at work. And in a free society it's good that different people are able to make different choices on the risk–reward spectrum. There are also some good reasons to want to avoid a world of unlimited choice and see this as a sphere in which collective action is appropriate (I'll gesture at arguments offered in Robert Frank's The Darwin Economy and Tom Slee's No One Makes You Shop At Walmart if you're interested), but that still leaves us with the question of "which collective" should make the collective choice.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/24/international_factory_safety.html?via=gdpr-consent

Condiv has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Jul 12, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

sorrynotsorry.txt posted:

It seems like the entire Internet has registered its objections to this piece I wrote on the Bangladesh factory disaster. And I have to say that my overwhelming personal response, as a writer and as a human being, is to be annoyed by the responses that I'm getting. But let me try to be mature about it instead and say—what happened in Bangladesh is a tragedy and a human disaster, and to the best of my knowledge it's also quite literally a criminal disaster under the existing laws of Bangladesh. The perpetrators ought to be punished. More broadly: Bangladesh ought to enforce its laws. Even more broadly than that: Bangladesh's citizens deserve honest and uncorrupt government rather than government that's excessively under the sway of the interests of apparel factory owners. Dylan Matthews has an informative interview with Kimberly Ann Elliott of the Center for Global Development in which she—a person who has relevant detailed knowledge of the situation—outlines a variety of modest measures that could improve the situation, and you should read it.

Here's what I did. I read a guy who pivoted from the tragedy to a call for the U.S. government or U.S. consumers to try to impose U.S. safety standards on all U.S.-supplying factories around the world. I did not have detailed information about the situation in Bangladesh, but I did—and continue to—have good reason to believe that this call was mistaken. So I wrote a post trying to outline why I think it's appropriate for rich countries to have more stringent standards than poor ones, and I absolutely stand by that conclusion.

gently caress you matt

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/26/some_further_thoughts_on_bangladesh.html

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/Juniorevitch/status/1017476831090442242

https://twitter.com/Juniorevitch/status/1017482284512006144

loquacius posted:

Replies are way more chuds than baddems unfortunately

:lol: a baddem is the single like on the above chud's tweet

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shear Modulus posted:

lol i originally thought crowley was just stupid and didnt think to take his name off the ballot but it looks like he actually planned to try and lieberman ratfuck the election and didnt think anyone would notice or care which is even dumber

supporting the lesser of two evils is something only leftists are expected to do

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's so interesting how a group that supposedly is allied with leftists shows over and over again how they really would like to be allied with the right and have nothing but contempt for the left-wing they depend on to win elections

just look how centrists behave when they have to resist fascism. they refuse to bend any rules or norms and desire to take the high road at all costs!

and just look how they behave when resisting lefism. the aforementioned rules and norms are torn to shreds instantly and they turn into slithering reptiles undermining us in any way they can. their charter, their "lesser of two evils" screed, all of it can be abandoned when it comes to resisting the left

it's quite obvious that centrists only respect the fasicsts, for all of their bluster about wanting to fight back against fascism. cause at the end of the day, the only side they fight "honorably" against is the insane, fascist right wing party. and the only group they fight tooth and nail is the left

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

everyone is lying except crowley! i'm a DSA member btw!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/NomikiKonst/status/1017479103887433728

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i love that he's since walked back from "impossible" to "inadvisable"

who's the liar now?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

have a little homemade succ guys!

quote:

So let me get this straight. The WFP runs fake primaries where the winner is removed by the will of the party apparatchiks and not only are you all fine with this, failure to comply is a sign you're undemocratic.
There isn't a single element of this story you wouldn't feel 180 degrees about if the winners of the two primaries were reversed, In fact you'd be cheering Ocasio-Cortz to actually run and not simply have her name on the ballot and you know it.

mmmm, just like evilweasel used to make

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Zokari posted:

what kind of soulless machine would willingly post in d&d in 2018

:ninja:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

wtf is demllos

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Relin posted:

gbs thread because lowtax got tired of people posting politics in gbs who thought dnd or cspam were too scawy

logikv9 posted:

the new kids on the block

ugh gross

kill it please

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/CynthiaNixon/status/1017528732028989441

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Joementum posted:

Oh, are we looking for people who voted for Bernie in the primary and then did not vote for Hillary in the general?

*raises hand*

ditto

and don't you know, centrists hate it, even though the argument i used to justify my vote (wasn't gonna turn my state blue) is the same argument they're trying to make with supporting a crowley third party run now

:lol:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

loquacius posted:

I voted HRC in the general but did not enjoy it

(I have been told this is just as great a crime)

oh it was

prepare to be purged for disloyalty to bernard sanders

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

loquacius posted:

I only voted how he told me :colbert:

god asked abraham to sacrifice his son isaac to him, but it was just a test of his loyalty

if you were truly a berniebro acolyte you would have heard his voice as you were about to pull the lever and you would've known the right thing to do

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

etalian posted:

Remember how PP appealed to the Trump administration to help them crush the attempts by their workers to organize a union?

remember when people were insisting that PP was not part of the establishment and you must be crazy and bernie's just really sexist?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so, it turns out that lyin joe crowley was... lying?? :monocle:

quote:

Crowley won the Working Families Party nomination, despite losing the Democratic one. After Ocasio-Cortez won, WFP wanted to put her on their ballot line for the November election, and asked him to vacate. But to remove him as their nominee from the ballot, the Working Families Party would essentially have to nominate Crowley for another position on the ballot — and he’d have to accept.

“If they nominated for him the Assembly or the state Senate or an office like that, and he consented to it, he could get off the ballot,” said New York-based election lawyer Jerry Goldfeder in an interview with Vox.

In a state with so many third-party candidates, this can be confusing. In fact, Ocasio-Cortez recently received the write-in nomination to be the Reform Party candidate ... in a completely different district she wasn’t running in.

As the New York Times’s Lisa W. Foderaro pointed out, the thinking here would be for WFP to nominate Crowley for a seat that he’d have little-to-no chance of winning, “like a county clerkship in a region of the state dominated by the other party.” Some positions don’t have residency requirements, and a lawyer for the Working Families Party says it should be easy for Crowley to do this.

“I respect Congressman Crowley’s concerns, but there are common, straightforward and legal ways to remove candidates from the ballot in cases like this,” said WFP counsel Alex Rabb in a statement. “There are offices around the state for which the Congressmember could be nominated. The New York State Court of Appeals has found that it is standard for parties to substitute candidates after a primary election, and that the practice does not violate the letter or the spirit of the law.”

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/12/17564576/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-joe-crowley-twitter-ballot-new-york

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Is this loss?

Asking for a friend.

no this is

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

look guys

only 25% of americans are in favor of gay marriage so you'll just have to deal with being screwed over for another 5 decades

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah mailers and TV ads are done by dem consultants who charge handsome fees but theres very little room for a consultant to insert himself between a campaign and facebook

imagine paying big bucks for people to put your face on trash and shove it into people's mailboxes :lol:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the mcdonalds defender has logged on

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i cannot believe the russians hacked hillary's cyberbrain and made her waste all her money trying to win texas

what won't they do???

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1017449780514099210

cummo getting rich off fascism

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

those poor young minds, warped by the terrors of communism... :ohdear:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

uncurable mlady posted:

fwiw it's not entirely unreasonable to think that there's something there to the 'russians got clinton models' line. if you recall the election, a lot of people were very surprised by trump going and having rallies in shithole parts of states that were considered clinton locks.

so either trump's campaign team was a bunch of incredibly savvy political operators who realized she was weak in those areas
or they knew that there was a good reason to go to those areas because someone told them where she was weak

:thunk:

i think the biggest takeaway is maybe don't delegate your political strategy to a machine

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

OmanyteJackson posted:

The whole problem with buying into the trump-russia narrative is that it's too narrow of a lens. Leftist already know that foreign oligarchs have major influence on american policy.

Like all good conspiracy theories, russia-trump has a kernel of truth, but the point of it isn't to expose the perverse incentives of power between politics and capital, instead it's about justifying a worldview where the system is fine and this one president is an anomaly.

also takes like this:

Is the problem. The fact that people watch Trump-Russia so they should continue to cover Trump-Russia is the same logic as people watch movies with white people so obviously we HAVE to make an all white adaption of AKIRA.

:agreed:

it'd be nice if russia was a leaping point into "maybe we shouldn't allow influence in our elections by oligarchs in general cause they don't have the best intentions of voters in mind", but that's a step too far cause hillary clinton was burried up to her eyeballs in oligarch money and influence and there was absolutely nothing wrong with her

so instead we just get "anyone who voices an opinion i disagree with is a russian bot/troll"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so i guess people are really super angry about AOC calling out crowley's fuckery if they're twisting one line from a tweet to try to make it appear she supports buckley's racism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

by polyanna's calculus, both obama and clinton were massive unrepentant racists, sexists, and homophobes cause they both spoke positively about reagan's vision for america. oh wait, that'd have more meat to it than what polyanna's pointing at to claim that AOC is racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agean90 posted:

all those apply to clinton (who owned slaves alongside his wife) tho

yeah, but you're listing actual evidence of her racism here! polyanna's going "she said he debated his opponents and that was good! SHE MUST LOVE RACISM AND HOMOPHOBIA TOO!"

• Locked thread