Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

and by "some Democrats" they mean Moulton and Rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anime was right posted:

dems have blamed

voter suppression
the electoral college

on like 3/5 previous elections that they've lost

they've proposed nothing to fix these things lol

they're trying to fight voter suppression, but they also essentially abandoned state-level politics under Obama, so they no longer hold enough power to do anything besides whine ineffectually when a Republican governor signs a bill that was passed by both houses of the Republican-dominated state legislature

hmm, that sounds kind of familiar

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

got any sevens posted:

- bernie was smeared from day 1 as a no-chance upstart
:qqsay:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the first one isnt wrong

Pelosi is just fine as a House leader, and most of the House reps pushing for her replacement are conservative Dems whose only stated rationale for replacing her is that she's too demonized by the right and might be scaring off moderate Republican votes

i don't think it's sexism, but "we should replace this person because Republicans dislike them" is about the ordinary level of idiocy I'd expect from Bad Dems, and there's more House Dems to her right than to her left so her replacement would likely be to the right of her

at the height of the Gilded Age, radical leftists were engaging in assassination attempts against CEOs and terrorist bombings on Wall Street, while unions were getting into literal gun battles with strikebreakers and Pinkertons while federal troops were regularly being called to intervene by force in labor disputes

ultimately, capital only makes concessions to the left when they fear that the social pressure that's building might explode into outright revolution, and that's been the case regardless of which party is in power

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zhulik posted:

At some point in the early 2000s a member of the Duma argued that measures to reduce state corruption would inevitably backfire.

He unironically argued that the current corrupt establishment should be left alone, because it's embezzling less after having been sated. You see, replacing any corrupt officials would only serve to reset the embezzling rate to default levels and make everything worse.

This is what this talk of "well, anyone that replaces Pelosi would be just as lovely" is reminding me of.

theres no point in replacing a corrupt official when they'll just be replaced by another corrupt official. it's more important to deal with the body or system that's putting corrupt officials in power in the first place

in the case of Dem leadership, ousting a generic incompetent centrist from a leadership position is a waste of energy if a solid supermajority of the people involved in choosing their replacement are generic incompetent centrists

Brother Friendship posted:

the cherry on top of 2016 was harry reid, after witness the complete demolishment of the democrats at every level of government, trotted out of hiding just to say that the Democrats were doing great and didn't need to change anything.

remember when the House under Pelosi passed a public option and then Reid's Senate cut it out

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

aside from the bit about Perez being too progressive, this reads exactly like something a centrist Dem might have written

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

he's right. the charge in the House to replace Pelosi is being led by conservative Dems worried that she's too leftist and turning off the fabled moderates

yes, the left is mad at Pelosi, but the actual threat to her position is coming from folks like Moulton and Rice

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

god moulton sucks dick

he's a charter school cuck

he's literally a member of the New Democrats

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

gonna be funny as poo poo watching another moderate democrat from massachussetts get swift boated in a general election

god I hope so

probably not though, his district is rich and white and he took the seat by primarying the Dem incumbent

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/CathyMyersWI/status/877996969549070336

A third challenger has entered the Ironstache / Yankovich bloodbath primary

every word on that website screams "I'm going to hand out bootstraps to the working class"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

what's up with all the campaign websites that have all this "I was born at a truck stop in Iowa" bullshit but no actual policy statements?

never mind; insert THE DEMOCRATS punchline.

it tells the voter that they're just another average Joe, not like those ivory tower elites. that way it'll feel more friendly when they cut government services and kick everyone off safety net programs

notice how it also repeatedly mentions "hard work", "personal responsibility", and my new favorite phrase "fighting for opportunity". it talks about how hard she had to work and how much debt she had to take on so you know that when she votes to cut welfare and privatize everything, she's been there, and she knows that all you need is a pair of bootstraps

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

If you look at one and then the other really fast it looks like he's giving you bedroom eyes.

:allears: this is so beautiful I think it's finally time for me to dump this redtext

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it true that a few establishment Dems attempted to reach across the aisle with the GOP, in which that they'd agree to Medicaid cuts, in exchange for sanctions against Russia.

nah, it was Iran sanctions

they'd agree to Iran sanctions (which would totally topple the Iran deal) in exchange for russia ssanctions

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zhulik posted:

Agreed, but jeez, the initial gotcha premise is so weird. "Aha! You want your political views to be represented by your government!" seems like a very bizarre vector for owning someone.

the unspoken implication is that your political views are electorally ineffective or politically impossible, and thus you are dooming the Dems to irrelevance and failure by selfishly wanting to be represented

unlike their political views, which are naturally the ideal thing to campaign on and are sure to lead to great wins

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

more local party officials will do this and it will be hilarious if the ~decorum~ keeps up

didn't they immediately fire that guy

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
President Donald Trump weighed in Thursday morning on the brewing debate in the Democratic Party about the future of Rep. Nancy Pelosi as the party’s minority leader, writing online that her ouster “would be very bad” for the Republican Party.

“I certainly hope the Democrats do not force Nancy P out. That would be very bad for the Republican Party - and please let Cryin' Chuck stay!” Trump said, referring to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer by a nickname he has pinned on the New York Democrat in the past.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who once held the suburban Atlanta seat that Ossoff fell short of this week, essentially agreed with Ryan that Pelosi has become a powerful weapon for Republicans to use against Democrats running in competitive districts. The GOP plans to use that line of attack, Gingrich said, for as long as it can.

“I hope they keep Nancy for 10 more years. I want her there for at least another decade. I mean, we have all the ads done. They work perfectly in Georgia,” he said. “We know exactly how to run against a Nancy Pelosi-run party. We'd love to have the question be in 2018 Nancy Pelosi versus Paul Ryan, and I hope that the Democrats keep her right where she is for a long, long time. At least a decade.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
:trumppop:: "gee, Democrats, I sure hope you don't replace Pelosi! that would really hurt my chances and guarantee you wins next year. gosh, I sure hope Democrats don't hear about how helpful she is to us, it would just be terrible if they caught on that I want her to stay and then fire her just to spite me!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dreylad posted:

it's amazing how easy it'd be to break the wrong way

also im a moron how does single payer disproportionately affect white people

the wait time to get a doctors appointment is a lot shorter when half the people in your area can't even afford a yearly checkup

healthcare in the US is great if you're really rich. that's why rich people from other countries sometimes fly here to get the elite treatment, instead of going through their own country's single-payer healthcare where they can't cut the line by dispensing more money, can't get caviar in their post-surgery penthouse, and might have to share a hospital room with someone who works for a living

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

docbeard posted:

The thing about Zuckerberg is that he's pretty much a cipher. He could do some good or he could be a monster or he could just be an ineffective plastic leader who rubber-stamps some vaguely progressive stuff while keeping the current power dynamic firmly in place, or he could just flail around uselessly, or he could usher in the technological singularity, or he could be a full-on revolutionary and there's no actual way to know ahead of time.

Which is why I don't think he'll do well at all if he does enter politics, particularly since he comes across as a guy who expects/assumes everything will just be easy and fall into his lap. He's the anti-Trump, but really only in the ways that Trump excelled as a campaigner. He doesn't have a clear message (other than 'hey, I exist') at the moment and he doesn't come across like he cares about anyone or anything.

On the other hand, I could make Cybermen jokes forever if he ran.

zuck is just gonna be a generic somewhat-neoliberal technocrat who farms out the actual business of coming up with policy to the same flock of aides, consultants, and lobbyists that've been writing Dem policy since 1996

he'll be very slightly center-left on social issues, heavily pro-business, somewhat anti-worker, neutral on poor people in general, and he'll leave the wonks to decide pretty much everything else for him (i.e., status quo or whatever the highest and best-connected bidder wants)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ ah yes, the "don't believe your lying eyes; believe my construct of dese-dose voters."

yah, I've pretty much been a single-issue voter over it for the last decade or so.

it's pretty amazing that 61 percent of republicans approve of medicaid. This is pretty constant, too; I recall a survey during the 2011 austerity throwdown that said pretty much the same thing.

if they'd polled medicare it would have prolly been higher.

even among Republicans, not many people actually oppose social safety nets in principle. it's just that the few who do have convinced the rest of them that badly-run and poorly-regulated social safety nets are covering tons of people who don't genuinely need them. that's why you see high support for Medicaid but also high support for changing the program to make it stricter, cut its funding, and squeeze as many people off of it as possible

Venom Snake posted:

If Zuck runs on a nominally left new deal democrat platform I'm going to grit my teeth harder than I ever have in my life if he's the most far left primary candidate

"maybe the billionaire CEO will be leftist and pro-worker" - the suck zone

he's a walking incarnation of "social liberal, fiscal conservative", I guarantee it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Generally personal wealth has had little to do with where presidents fall on the left/right axis historically. The issue with ZUCK is he's a creepy techlord not that he's rich.

This is also why I think the "BUT BERNIE HAS WEALTH????? VACATION HOMES REEEEEEE" poo poo is so loving stupid; FDR/New Deal democrats were not poor.

the issue isn't how much money he had, it's how he made it. he was born to parents that made six or seven figures each, never had a job where he wasn't the boss, and didn't even finish his first Harvard degree before starting his own business that eventually made him into a billionaire. there's never been any indication that he realizes the massive advantages his parents and upbringing afforded him, and typically those types end up believing that they're self-made men who bootstrapped themselves to riches by being smart and working hard, with no help from anyone. and people who honestly believe in bootstraps are generally not known for being kind and understanding toward the poor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

the ~math~ is basically

you gotta do a statewide ballot (or hold a convention lol) either way, so do you want to have a ballot on its own or do you want to have a ballot and also a bunch of dems going on record as voting for a significant tax increase and probably a bunch of seats lost in the upcoming election because people are idiots

and are those seats worth the lives that will be lost, especially if trump passes his poo poo Now and ya gotta wait until another election cycle to get the groundwork passed much less functional communism implemented

if you're gonna take it as a given that talking about a tax increase = a whole bunch of seats lost, then why even bother with the ballot proposition?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rudatron posted:

it was the consistent polling that got, and still gets me.

Were the samples of the polling companies that biased and wrong?

Or did the people they sampled not report accurately, or was there a flaw in the methodology?

Or, once the people got inside the polling booth, did something just, snap?

Maybe there's an element of politics that can't be reduced to a number, no matter how hard you try, and any attempt at quantifying it leads to failure.

pollsters' likely voter models were way off

they assumed that, compared to 2012, minorities would come out in force to vote overwhelmingly against the openly racist corncob, while white people turnout would be lower than usual because they wouldn't be enthusiastic about the sexist goblin.

that was pretty much the exact opposite of what actually happened. for some dumb reason a bunch of people assumed that the black turnout in 2008 and 2012 was the new normal rather than outliers caused by Obama specifically so their estimates were way off, Hispanics weren't as pro-Hillary as expected, and white turnout was basically as usual.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wasn't it the lowest turnout election for a long time? Or just real bad

nah, not really. it's more that the last couple elections had unusually high turnout. 2004 turnout was way higher than 2000, and 2008 turnout was the highest in decades. numbers vary wildly for some reason but 2016 turnout probably turned out at about the same level as 2013

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

confused as to what the problem here is

looks like he's just saying it as a way to reframe the popularity numbers

kind of a "sure, it polls incredibly badly, but not everyone hates it from the right. some people hate it from the left and therefore don't support the right-wing effort to repeal" thing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

It's amazing how Democrats have a 10 vote handicap in the senate. Seems a little unfair to me that any good progressive policies need a supermajority, whereas repubs can destroy the country with a simple majority

yeah, unlike the Democrats, the Republicans don't have to worry about ideologically-impure defectors potentially torpedoing their major health legislation or single-handedly demanding large changes that make it significantly worse. there's just no way they'll ever have a slim majority upset by a couple of defectors

of course, the difference is that conservative superPACs are already airing attack ads against GOP senators who've said they won't vote for AHCA

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

So what was the deal with that CNN producer video.

a random nobody who had absolutely nothing to do with CNN political coverage

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

got any sevens posted:

probably something to do with politics loving over most people and the facist police state murdering dissenters and suburban car culture spreading us out enough to discourage meetings

it's more that we've gone all-in on a capitalist culture in which our only purpose is to produce things for the wealthy and then buy those things from the wealthy, while American society has been redivided into nothing more than advertising demographics

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

holy moly, there's quite a gender divide on gun rights

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

remember when hillary said she'd put coal miners out of work, big lmao

there's more bankers than miners

qed motherfucker

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frijolero posted:

lol remember when Obama killed an American citizen

it was a nice change of pace from the hundreds of Middle Easterners he killed

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
a pro-life Dems group has issued a bunch of demands to Perez

quote:

In addition to ​a request for a statement direct from Perez that the party does not ​​have a litmus test, Democrats for Life’s ​list calls for t​he party to make resources available to support pro-life Democrats. The list asks for “the establishment of a Democratic Pro-Life Political Action Committee to be used specifically to support pro-life Democratic candidates.” It also requests that the 2020 Democratic Party platform be “inclusive to Democrats who oppose abortion,” and calls for eliminating language currently in the 2016 platform “opposing the Hyde Amendment.”

the DNC has been tight-lipped about it, but Democrats For Life is suggesting they heard things that make them believe that the DNC is willing to back away from the "simplistic abortion orthodoxy of the coastal elites" and show "tolerance" as they embrace the "big tent" "50-state strategy" of hating women's rights

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctivitis posted:

quick question:

For 7 years Republicans have been screaming about "repeal and replace" and then showed up with nothing.

Last and this year, Dems and Hillary were saying "We need to fix what's broken and improve the ACA."

What proposals have any Dems made about fixing and/or improving it?

of course they haven't offered any, that's not how Dems work. it's not ~pragmatic~ or ~wonkish~ to offer up solutions you don't have the votes to pass, and the ~consultants~ and ~focus groups~ say it's a bad idea to admit that basically your only significant legislative accomplishment in the last decade has big problems

of course, they can't exactly campaign on ACA improvements, because if they ever get a Congressional majority again, a fifth of Dem senators will immediately flip and vote against any ACA improvements and the Dems will refuse to do anything about it, so :geno:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

but what's the point of bodycams on the police if the footage is all kept hidden? we already have 500 officers to lie about what happened in an encounter, is another 500 lying about the contents of video footage really helping anything at all?

the law also overrides a state supreme court ruling holding that dashcam footage is required to be made public.

makes people feel better about the police without any actual change. also, police departments that have actually deployed bodycams love them. it massively decreases the number of complaints against cops and gives plenty of evidence they can cherrypick from to undermine the complaints that remain. and if an officer does manage to get into real trouble, the footage can be "lost" or the camera can be "broken"

once they get over the sheer anarchic hatred of anyone telling them what to do, cops are actually finding that body cameras work out just fine for them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Iron Twinkie posted:

The problem isn't if an individual cop is racist but that our police departments are trained, armed, and instructed to perpetuate for-profit, systematically racist institutions. The private prisons are contractually guaranteed a minimum number of full beds both as a source of revenue and slave labor. The police department and city council needs more money in it's coffers from fines and fees because god forbid that be funded through taxes. So they are sent out to get money and smash in heads. They target black communities because they are our suppressed, dehumanized, and exploited underclass that Capitalism requires to function. Harassing, arresting, robbing, and killing black people isn't a side effect of policing. It's their primary function.

it goes beyond that. in the US, the concept of having an actual "police department" dates back to the mid-19th century, and that's when the first official police departments were formed in the US

think about what else was happening in the US from 1850-1870 or so, and it shouldn't be any surprise that many Southern police departments directly evolved from the "slave patrols" that existed prior to the Civil War, and the main function of the newly-founded police departments was to enforce Jim Crow. meanwhile, the police departments being formed in Northern cities around the same time were created mainly to rein in labor unrest. fundamentally, the creation of professional police forces wasn't actually about dealing with crime, it was dealing with the lower classes who were perceived to be crime-prone, and protecting the interests of local elite politicians and businessmen from people disgruntled about increasing inequality

racism is baked into police culture at a very deep level, and police procedures and training are often still designed to reinforce it

this is a good series of articles that talks more about that. some samples:

quote:

The only effective political strategy available to exploited workers was what economic elites referred to as "rioting," which was actually a primitive form of what would become union strikes against employers (Silver 1967). The modern police force not only provided an organized, centralized body of men (and they were all male) legally authorized to use force to maintain order, it also provided the illusion that this order was being maintained under the rule of law, not at the whim of those with economic power.

Defining social control as crime control was accomplished by raising the specter of the "dangerous classes." The suggestion was that public drunkenness, crime, hooliganism, political protests and worker "riots" were the products of a biologically inferior, morally intemperate, unskilled and uneducated underclass. The consumption of alcohol was widely seen as the major cause of crime and public disorder. The irony, of course, is that public drunkenness didn't exist until mercantile and commercial interests created venues for and encouraged the commercial sale of alcohol in public places. This underclass was easily identifiable because it consisted primarily of the poor, foreign immigrants and free blacks (Lundman 1980: 29). This isolation of the "dangerous classes" as the embodiment of the crime problem created a focus in crime control that persists to today, the idea that policing should be directed toward "bad" individuals, rather than social and economic conditions that are criminogenic in their social outcomes.

In addition, the creation of the modern police force in the United States also immutably altered the definition of the police function. Policing had always been a reactive enterprise, occurring only in response to a specific criminal act. Centralized and bureaucratic police departments, focusing on the alleged crime-producing qualities of the "dangerous classes" began to emphasize preventative crime control. The presence of police, authorized to use force, could stop crime before it started by subjecting everyone to surveillance and observation. The concept of the police patrol as a preventative control mechanism routinized the insertion of police into the normal daily events of everyone's life, a previously unknown and highly feared concept in both England and the United States (Parks 1976).

quote:

State police agencies emerged for many of the same reasons. The Pennsylvania State Police were modeled after the Phillipine Constabulary, the occupation force placed in the Philipine Islands following the Spanish-American War. This all-white, all-"native," paramilitary force was created specifically to break strikes in the coal fields of Pennsylvania and to control local towns composed predominantly of Catholic, Irish, German and Eastern European immigrants. They were housed in barracks outside the towns so that they would not mingle with or develop friendships with local residents. In addition to strike-breaking they frequently engaged in anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic violence, such as attacking community social events on horseback, under the pretense of enforcing public order laws. Similarly, the Texas Rangers were originally created as a quasi-official group of vigilantes and guerillas used to suppress Mexican communities and to drive the Commanche off their lands.

quote:

From the beginning American policing has been intimately tied not to the problem of crime, but to exigencies and demands of the American political-economy. From the anti-immigrant bashing of early police forces, to the strike breaking of the later 1800s, to the massive corruption of the early 20th century, through professionalism, Taylorization and now attempts at amelioration through community policing, the role of the police in the United States has been defined by economics and politics, not crime or crime control. As we look to the 21st century, it now appears likely that a new emphasis on science and technology, particularly related to citizen surveillance; a new wave of militarization reflected in the spread of SWAT teams and other paramilitary squads; and a new emphasis on community pacification through community policing, are all destined to replay the failures of history as the policies of the future.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I wager that there is some entrenched resistance (ie not just big donor money or whatever) from Dems who viewed ACA as their signature big career legislative accomplishment being told it kind of sucks. I don't know if that goes away if they get more public feedback/yelling about it or if you have to elect people divorced from the original process.

the real problem is that the lanyard types have convinced them that admitting that their signature big career legislative accomplishment sucks would be political suicide, not only reflecting badly on them but also feeding into Republican messaging to support the repeal effort. the consultant types have decided that everyone has to pretend that Obamacare is perfect until the Dems win a majority, at which point they can start talking about fixing it. can't campaign on fixing Obamacare problems because they're convinced that admitting the existence of flaws in the bill they helped write would make them look like stupid and bad legislators who voted for a bad bill

the problem with that logic, of course, is that it's elitist garbage that relies on the assumption that no one will notice the problems with Obamacare unless they're told about it by politicians and media. unfortunately, Obamacare affects real people, who have already figured out that the law has real problems because those problems are having a direct impact on their daily lives. pretending the flaws don't exist won't make them go away or fly under the radar

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frijolero posted:

I have to backtrack. Reducing wasteful spending is definitely good, but you don't make it the central loving pillar of your hot new campaign.

Obama made it the central pillar of his presidency

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus loving Christ!

the healthcare market is profoundly sick and the government absolutely refuses to do anything to rein in prices

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would OD deaths go up after a crackdown?

all the addicts who'd been on prescriptions of carefully labeled and regulated pharmecutical opiods for years suddenly got cut off by the crackdown, and with no accompanying push to treat their addictions, they stayed addicted and turned to the streets to get their fix instead

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

our legislators are morons

Moulton is a prominent example of "lovely right-wing Dem who inexplicably holds seat in deep-blue state"

i live in his district so all these reminders of how poo poo he is are especially painful :mad:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

radical meme posted:

I'll never understand how people don't understand that having debt is not a bad thing; rich people, all rich people, if they're smart, have debt. The only way you can max out a personal credit score is by having debt, and lots of it compared to your income. Rich people don't pay cash up front for a home, a car, or just about anything else. The strategic use of debt by smart, rich households should be pointed out to any idiot that believes a balanced budget is a good idea.

poor people have debt too, and there's a considerable difference between poor person debt and rich person debt

for households that are teetering on the edge of poverty but fancy themselves to be "middle-class", debt is the great destroyer, the temptation that could destroy them and the albatross around their necks. for people with hundreds of thousands to spare, debt is just another strategic tool to turn money into even more money. but for people who only have hundreds to spare at most, debt is the curse that means the bank gets to take your house and your car if you face the slightest economic disruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

basically, companies are not beholden to racial justice or any kind of equity, and rather fire employees if it looks like they might hurt their pocketbook. doxxing and reporting racists to get them fired seems like a good idea until you realize the right is way better at cooking up outrage than the center, and will likely turn this tactic against us.

they've been turning that tactic against the left for the last *checks watch* 150 years or so, it's about loving time the left caught on to it and started using it themselves

• Locked thread