Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

With all the miracles he has performed, Rutherford was bound to have a gently caress up. It happens.

Reaves just allows them to have a punchman without having the dubious distinction of "paying Tom Sestito money to play hockey".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jordan Schroeder gets a two-year deal with the CBJ. Second year is a one-way contract.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/879799484112306183

This feels like one of those deals which would either be awesome or terrible.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/879818061301284867
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/879818260929273857

Diehard Buckeye fans who also pull for the CBJ but have mental breakdowns over players from M!ch!g@n on a team in a different sport with nothing to do with the former's rivalry will never stop being hilariously pathetic to me.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 27, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dreger put out a report stating Kroenke gives 0 shits about the Avs, so ????

Why doesn't this surprise me at all?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

Kings are apparently interested in signing Thornton, which would be gently caress that.

Columbus is apparently on the list as well. What a time to be alive.

Ryan Johansen leaving only to have his hero join his old team two years later. :ironicat:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Handing out a 106 year contract for someone who hasn't even won a cup is definitely not reasonable.

Gonna get PAID at $8M per year for 106 years, even if it's AAV...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Rumors today were that the Pens were interested in Duchesn again. The talk was a Prospect (or maybe 2, or some draft pick/prospect combination) and Maatta for him.

I don't think the horseshoe is big enough for the Pens to pull that off (e- in that form).

Which is why they're going to shed a not as good as he once was Dman for a 70 point center to play third line center. :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 29, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Found this reviewing the trades in the last thread:

https://twitter.com/eddielack/status/878287185757302784

Eddie Lack likes the trades as much as we do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/880401207508033539

Go on...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aaron Portzline is suggesting Jenner+Murray+1st could be the haul for the Avs if the CBJ were to make a run at Duchene.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aw drat, RIP Fartsmell. Go win a Cup. :(

This pretty much seals in my mind that something big is coming, as the Clarkson buyout more than allowed space to re-sign Anderson and Wennberg.

Do a fun thing now, Jarmo. :unsmigghh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

stab posted:

Somebody find that tweet lack made a couple days ago about trades

CBJSprague24 posted:

Found this reviewing the trades in the last thread:

https://twitter.com/eddielack/status/878287185757302784

Eddie Lack likes the trades as much as we do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dreger says the CBJ have an offer in for Duchene. :ohdear:

Porty's sticking with his Murray+Roster player+Prospect/pick feeling. Might be worth noting Jared Bednar and Chris MacFarland have a working knowledge of the CBJ depth pool having been Monsters head coach and CBJ AGM respectively. Bednar won the Calder Cup with Cleveland and the feeling at the time was Goloubef went to the Avs because MacFarland knew him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, it would have to be Jenner, right? I can't see Atkinson being someone they would send and I doubt Calvert would be enough as much as I would be okay with that.

That's all I can figure. I think that was the rumor before. It's going to be fascinating to keep track of the players out and in this offseason, because Portzline suggested moving two roster players might mean the team gets to go free agent shopping after all. So far it's (roster players only):

In: Panarin, Schroeder
Out: Saad, Hartnell, Gagner (probably)

Hold on to your butts.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I seem to remember something about Alexander Wennberg being temporarily "sent" to Cleveland last year when the Cap took effect before the season long enough for the CBJ to put Clarkson on LTIR, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ok, so the answer to "Who would want to go to the Avs right now?" is Nail Yakupov.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

Jackets beat writer Aaron Portzline has left the Columbus Dispatch after being there nearly 30 years. Probably a good bet he's going to The Athletic.

God drat. :stare:

Given this:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/888370329252356097

...it's either something like that or he's going to try to go the crowdfunded route (which, to be fair, worked for NASCAR writer Jeff Gluck).

e- I think I found a spoiler (unless it was always there and just never caught it):

quote:

Aaron Portzline
@Aportzline

I cover the Columbus Blue Jackets | PHWA | NHL Network | The Hockey News

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Here's a story about Jason Stypinski, former ECHL player and current CBJ equipment manager.

https://twitter.com/971thefan/status/889858651875311616

This stuff is endlessly entertaining to me after reading Chill Factor. Some of the fun tidbits include:

quote:

Jason Stypinski, for instance, is the man responsible for an ECHL rule against equipment staffers modifying jerseys. He had sewn inserts into the sweater of the Columbus Chill’s enforcer, successfully allowing more freedom of movement and bigger punches.

In his defense, he only did this after Toledo’s tough guy had sent the Chill a Christmas card containing Yuletide greetings, and an invitation to the Chill’s fighter. “You wanna go?”

quote:

“Whew,” he breathed. “This is one of the best coaching staffs I’ve ever worked, for. I’ve never seen a coach more dialed in than John Tortorella. He sees things coming.”

He pointed out that Tortorella treats the equipment staff the same way he does the players, insisting they take a break when necessary, once even threatening to fine Stypinski if he didn’t catch a day off.

...and a thing about being an emergency goaltender in the ECHL.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

To me, this was the most surprising result of the survey. After years of ineptitude, one good season has turned the tide completely on how Columbus is viewed. The team jumped from bottom five to borderline top five after one season. Should our opinions have changed that much or is this an over-correction because they shouldn’t have been that low to begin with? It’s interesting to think about and it’ll be even more interesting after this season because the team is due for some regression. One thing to give them credit for is their trades. They aren’t afraid of making a big splash and it’s worked out well for them recently.

I found it hard to believe the team was as bad as it was in 2015-16 (I thought they'd be a bubble team that year), but Torts pulled that team to Bettman .500 under his watch somehow (and it's amazing that 34 wins is considered bad nowadays when it was "Ok, they did alright, I guess..." in the early days of my watchin' 10-11 years ago). As for last year, it's amazing what happens when you get a competent defensive corps and Good :cop:.

Judging the categories in the survey, the roster building has been solid enough to where they can buy out a potential 20-goal scorer because there's no room at the inn anymore, they've unfucked the Horton/Clarkson cap screwup, their players who have worked through the pipeline are solid, I can think of one stupid trade Jarmo has made (should've just kept Gaborik to the end of 13-14), and JD/Jarmo have built the team to where they've only had one losing season since the lockout (they even won 42 games in 2014-15 when half the team was dead at one point).

We just get to hope like hell that it doesn't implode. :ohdear:

e- I guess the book is still out on Saad for Panarin, but as long as Bread Man doesn't go full Jeff Carter, I figure it should work out at least decently.

FBS posted:

We're two days away from starting August, The Worst Month, and I'm on the Gamecenter archives trying to cure my withdrawal.

What were the most memorable games from your team's regular season? Gimme some fun games to go back and watch.

-10-0 vs Montreal in November.
-Battle for the lead in the Metro, East, and NHL vs. Pittsburgh 12-22-16.
-CBJ@MIN on New Year's Eve with both teams having won at least 12 straight.
-The beatin' they laid on the Isles in February.
-The game against New Jersey in March when the CBJ clinched just because of how pants-on-head stupid it was.

DJExile posted:

:yeah:

There was that one where Gudas exploded against a clearly tired CBJ for like 2 goals and 3 assists completely out of the blue

Wasn't that in 15-16?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 30, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Doc Emrick introduced the team before the first CBJ game in 2000, so that's kinda cool, I guess.

As for NBC games, I hope you like Pittsburgh/Rangers/Buffalo/Boston/Washington/Philly/Chicago/Toronto being involved in literally every game and, for Wednesday Night Rivalry, we have:

quote:

October 25 Buffalo at Columbus, 8 p.m.

:wtc:

I can't wait for The Battle of CBJSprague24 versus That One Girl Who Moved Here From Buffalo and Knew a Shitton About Hockey Who Talked About All the Dates We Were Gonna Go On After We Saw CBJ Put Up a Touchdown on The Isles And Never Followed Through? They couldn't even do a PIT/CBJ game? :confused:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Torts gets a one-year extension. JD took a "We'll see how this goes before extending him further" mentality regarding a contract beyond 2019.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/892130289983512576

Schremp Howard posted:

That's a fair move. I know R-Lam gets piled on for even suggesting the jackets will regress next year but it's good to see management isn't convinced that everything is gravy.

quote:

“I think it just makes sense for everybody,” Davidson said in regards to the contract term. “It makes sense for Torts, it makes sense for us. We’ve got him this year and next year, and everything will get re-evaluated after that. It seemed like in talking to everyone involved this was the best route to go. John is confident in his abilities. We’re confident in his abilities. Two years is perfect.”
“I have known Torts the longest of everyone around here,” Davidson said. “I know what kind of person he is. I know he’s a bit of a volcano, but he’s got a passion for life and he makes a lot of really strong decisions. Some that he made which were bad, he’s owned up to them and that’s one thing. When you talk to really good players, the stars who have played for Torts, every one of them rave about the work he puts in.”

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170731/blue-jackets--john-tortorella-signs-one-year-contract-extension

"Alright, Torts. You've done good things here. Now do it again. You keep it up, and maybe we extend you. You go full psycho or the wheels come off and we'll be fine with asking you to leave".

I have increased faith in the whole thing top to bottom seeing this because it's not Scott Howson locking a coach up and then still having to pay them when he cans them (which happened twice; still think Hitch shouldn't have been fired).

Zodijackylite posted:

While it's usually a safe bet that a 108-point team is going to regress a bit, CBJ also seem to have the hard-to-get things that every team wants in 2017, namely two top young mobile defensemen and a lot of forward depth, plus a great goalie. Jones and Werenski are both really good and not even at their peaks yet.

Panarin-Wennberg-Atkinson sounds like it could be a fun as hell line to watch do hockeyman things.

JoelJoel posted:

Jones is legit. Werenski looks great but like one season of pro experience. He'll almost certainly regress. Whole team will, but I can still see them pushing for 100 points. Then again, some bad goaltending/injury and lovely luck could see them regress to a bubble team.

I think we can say a year and a half after that both teams won the Jones/Johansen swap in their own ways. I'm interested to see if Werenski tries to keep his foot on the gas in spite of an inevitable regression to try and fight it off (all he's done is win in his career) and if the regression is "sophomore slump" or "Full Steve Mason". We're hoping for the former.

Then again, the CBJ often go as :cop: goes, but Korpisalo did alright in extended action in 15-16.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 1, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Well except for that first round thing last year

I was thinking more everything up to that point and the fact he dodged his Welcome to the NHL moment being the tire fire that was 2015-16.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

They don't mention the old anthem singer, but it looks like taking a public stance to bitch about your employer means you don't get asked back to do the anthem next year:

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-call-upon-fans-to-help-choose-anthem-singer/c-290557830

What they did to him was lovely and they should've at least given him one SCF game (or at least another playoff game because why the gently caress did Kelly Clarkson do one) (though, to be fair, he cracked the door and the parade of Nashville Recording ArtistsTM blew it the rest of the way open, so it's slightly on him) but didn't somebody in one of these threads say they had/have a rotating cast of anthem singers anyway?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

All the songs tailored to the retractable roof is pretty terrible, but I dont' think it even touches the Disneyification of the Ducks intro. Like I get Disney owns it, but that fuckin Beauty and the Beast candle opening it up for a new franchise? Come on.

That looked like something out of The Simpsons with the special song and lyrics dedicated to the Skydome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Mike Fisher announced he's retiring.

Normally, I'd say "No, you're doing it wrong, you're supposed to retire after WINNING a Cup", but when the alternative is millions of dollars and Carrie Underwood, I can't fault the man. :respek:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, uh, USA v Canada a few years ago was insane and got a lot of people I know into hockey. At the very least, they watch the playoffs now.

I saw Facebook statuses about the USA/Russia game where Oshie scored like 5 shootout goals from people who had little or no interest in hockey.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aw man, Bryan Murray was one goal away from going out with an Eastern Conference championship. :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Columbus apparently still has a standing offer in place for Matt Duchene:

https://theathletic.com/85114/2017/...update-for-you/

Semi-related, The Columbus Dispatch apparently only has one hockey writer left on its staff because The Athletic poached both Portzline and Tom Reed. poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Yeah?"
"Yeah."
"Who's dis?"
"Dis is Jeff."
"Jeff, what happened? Did ya get it straightened out?"
"Well, we had a problem and, uh, we tried ta do everyting we could."
"Whaddya mean?"
"Well, ya know what I mean. He's gawn. And we couldn't do nothin' about it".
"That's it...whaddya mean?"
"He's gawn. He's gawn, and dat's it."

(Slams phone, cries. AV comes running out.)

And that's how I envision the buyout of Dan Girardi taking place.

e- Needed to Guido it up a bit by changing spellings.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 18, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

RJ Umberger gets a PTO with Dallas.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

But... his KHL team was Traktor...

Getting acquainted with fans for the next lockout?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/899716133569396741

V:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvjwQ8QqUdk&t=253s

The first second of that video applies.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gimme dat Duchene. :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Good for him, but I will really miss his coverage.

I've been seeing references to the Atheletic but haven't looked into it. Looks like they're shooting to corner having the best local sports news? For me, I'm at the point where everything seems to be a subscription. But on the flip side, if it's as good as say, his writing at BSH, I'll consider it.

I have bookmarked BSH, and SB Nation's blogs for the Preds and Blues, and it's just a huge difference on how much better BSH is. I couldn't tell you what it is, but if my only choice is pay for better, or have really meh articles, I'll start considering another drat subscription.

As much as I liked his coverage at The Dispatch, I'm going to have to think long and hard about dropping $50 so I can read Aaron Portzline continue to misspell words he should know how to spell for the Cleveland Blue Jackets (as The Athletic have they and OSU sorted).

Then again, I don't know who the hell is left at the paper other than Michael Arace and his occasional bordering-on-trolling articles.

Levitate posted:

That's a lot of mediocre players

Hey now, Stanley Cup hero Trevor Daley is on that list.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Athletic is trying to position itself as the smart, insightful Playboy-of-the-70s-of-the-Modern-Sports-World by snapping up a bunch of moderately well respected (if somewhat smug) writers, and burning through a crap ton of capital to do so. However, it's not really creating a unique niche for itself that I can see. So far, its just taken a bunch of writers that were previously free and stuck them behind a pay wall and asked consumers to pay for the privilege of getting access to them again. They act like somehow this will enable the writers they've hired to produce more content, but for the most part they were paid newspaper employees or prolific bloggers. None of them were ever particularly short on content, and I doubt the Athletic can provide more contacts to them than they had already had (aside from a few outsider bloggers who might now have media passes).

In a world of oodles of free sports information and content it seems like a risky venture, especially at the price point they're asking. They're essentially charging the same rate as a top end feature magazine but with an incredibly limited focus right now and no real reputation to speak of yet. They're expecting their subscribers to foot the bill while they promise to expand, which is what a lot of kickstarter projects have got a lot of heat for doing. If they can't quickly grow and produce award winning content, this is going to come down like a ton of bricks. It's the newspaper equivalent of paying for potential. They might have the gravitas to attract a host of incredible writers and produce some world class content, but they're just as likely to flatline or fizzle out from here. The only distinction I see from a hundred other failed online sports magazines like the Sportsnet Magazine is that they're not under the umbrella of a parent organization. That makes them seem maybe a little more free to do as they wish, but at the same time they don't have a reputation to fall back on yet.

This feels like if Netflix had launched entirely with its own content. While it might be very good at times, there's no real reason for someone to subscribe at the moment. What does the Athletic provide that a million other sports websites, blogs and twitter users don't? A freedom from corporate influence? They're funded by venture capitalists. Some well respected writers? A few, but newspapers still corner the market on that and many have moved to free versions of their content. It doesn't even have a 'hook' article series or perspective that people want like the Players' Tribune (which is free btw).

I just don't see why I'm supposed to spent $100+ a year on what's essentially a glorified blog. It's an interesting idea, but the articles I've read are no different from anything else out there. Part of me is a bit torn because I know this is an attempt to find a novel solution to the dying print newspaper industry, but man oh man are they putting the cart before the horse here.

I was able to read Porty and company's stuff because my parents have an included online subscription to the Dispatch they never use for taking the physical paper. As long as Porty's on Twitter, I can get the gist of what's going on, especially if it's "CBJ trades X to Team Y in exchange for Z" in 140 characters or less.

Somebody saw that Jeff Gluck and a couple other writers went it alone and succeeded and are trying to do that with one big, sports catch-all site.

DJExile posted:

hahaha i hosed these two up for months too

I'm still doing it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DOOMocrat posted:

So the Stars revealed which throwback they'll be debuting against the Wild. And it's the trolliest option possible.

Edit: The 93-94 one, for you few youngins.

Throwback? Is Adidas doing one-offs or something?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Aren't PTCs mostly for camp bodies and preseason gp requirements?

Mostly, but Marc-Andre Bergeron wound up sticking in Cleveland last year after being on a PTO to CBJ camp and eventually signed a two-way deal with Columbus after all on deadline day.

He never actually was called up to Columbus.

Didn't Lee Stempniak sign somewhere off a PTO a couple years ago, though?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCDEppdfjM

That looks good on you, Bread Man.

"Did you have any discussion with Sergei about the #72?"
"I brought the boxing gloves and it'll be decided later."

:golfclap:

e- "There were no options. He has two Vezina Trophies. No chance." :lol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How/when did Vegas get Oscar Dansk?

• Locked thread