Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

a false posted:

is nashville letting mike fisher walk. also is cbj letting sam gagner walk. i'd take either of them on a short deal

I don't know if Fisher is retiring but I can't see him wanting to go anywhere else and the team would probably give him another year if he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jeremy Jacobs spent like $600,000 on local politics because he was mad about an Akon concert.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually, trade Duchene to Nashville.

But like, for spare parts.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Meaning back to Chicago at some future deadline, I assume.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kruger is a lot cheaper than his cap hit for the next two seasons, surprised VGK only got a 5th for him.
Edit: Colorado signed Yak City.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 4, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

So is Kovalchuk the only interesting free agent left? The rest of the list is basically him, Cody Franson, Drew Stafford and Johnny Oduya.

Oh god we're into the horrible doldrums of the offseason aren't we.

Vanek and Jagr!

Also, now we're into the RFA drama part of the year.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

The whole concept of a President role for a team that acts as more than just a PR guy is fairly new in the NHL. You have a few teams like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver that have a President that seems to call the shots over a GM, but to what extent they're actually involved in decision making seems to depend on the team. As a general rule, I'd say that Presidents are closely involved in the overarching decision making but steer clear of the grunt work. So someone like Burke probably says "lets make a run at Hamonic" then Treliving undertakes the bulk of negotiation and paperwork.

I very much doubt Burke has a say in the vast majority of transactions leaving things like the draft, lesser signings, smaller trades and such entirely up to Treliving. Bigger stuff probably requires his consultation, but Treliving can largely operate independent of him.

Basically Burke gets to jump in and do his bombastic Trump style closer thing when he feels like it, but can for the most part ignore the day to day running of a professional hockey team. He gets to take credit for big moves, but doesn't have to attend regular scouting meetings. In return, Treliving gets a lessened PR role and probably doesn't have to bother himself with appeasing ownership very often. It makes sense why you'd split a role as big as what the GM position can entail, it just means having to cede final authority on a bunch of key decisions and that can ruffle a few feathers when there's egos involved.

I think it it probably varies by team too. Nashville's president (and CEO) is a sports management guy, not at all a hockey guy, so I'm sure he has very little input on hockey ops aside from budget.

edit: I guess Poile is "President of Hockey Operations" as well as GM.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

If you're doing SAS fantasy draft we've sort of started, though the draft clock's not starting til tomorrow.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Apparently the Canes are getting sold.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/887305848820781056

Just Pay The Man, Doug. don't let it be like PK. don't you see the similarities?! ParayKo

This is basically always how it is with arbitrations though.

Nashville just re-signed Aberg, 2 years 650k/yr.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

It's not just that, every team has at least four jerseys, that are all just used whenever. NBA teams also now have four logos, with no true primary logo any more.

This is cool and the NHL should do it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Jersey and ice ads are terrible and I hate them, but I'll live with it if the extra money means it costs less for me to buy a ticket.

Haha, nope!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm sure the number of commercial breaks are baked into the various national and local TV deals so I wouldn't expect anything to change there until at least 2021.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Do all these lockout-proof contracts make a lockout more or less likely? Like, if they have to pay out half the league's salary in signing bonuses anyway, maybe it's not worth it?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Nashville just hired a 35 year old USHL coach to be an assistant, replacing Housley. https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-name-dan-muse-assistant-coach/c-290465456

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ligur posted:

Are there underlying magic fansy and stat stuff I don't know about Arvidsson or doesn't it sound risky to sing a 24 year old who jumps from 16 points to 61 until he is 31

I love Arvi but I think the term is a little insane. Though the $ is probably fine even if he take a step back to the 40 point range. I'm mostly concerned about injuries because he always get the crap kicked out of him.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Nashville re-signed Austin Watson for 3 years, $1.1m AAV, which is probably fine I guess.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

It's not much more than Nick Bonino money.

boy is Nashville gonna regret that contract

Once Johansen gets signed, they at least don't have any RFAs getting majorly paid for a few years, and then Rinne's contract ends. But yeah, Summer 2019 it might start being annoying.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JFC Ken Holland

Thufir
May 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

Nashville sign the Markov.

They already have the wrong bad old Russian.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Do that too.

Canucks-era Messier = G.O.A.T

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Preds and Ryan Johansen have agreed to a long term deal, no details yet. Press conference scheduled to announce it at 3pm.

It's gonna be a lot.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah that's around where I thought it would be. Some hockey writer on twitter was pointing out a while ago that the McDavid contract being so high was going to set the bar really high for 2nd-tier first liners, and Johansen was the first test of that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That's total nonsense

Na, gotta start negotiating somewhere and the McDavid deal raised the effective (rather than theoretically allowed under the CBA) ceiling.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

FBS posted:

We're two days away from starting August, The Worst Month, and I'm on the Gamecenter archives trying to cure my withdrawal.

What were the most memorable games from your team's regular season? Gimme some fun games to go back and watch.

I don't remember if it was actually a good game but the box score for Preds - Jets on March 13 looks pretty good. Lead changes, 9 goals, a fight, OT.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/891798806777540608

The Wild signed Nino

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I guess the NBC schedules are out so everyone can be mad about which teams are on national broadcasts too much / too little.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/892498127575552000

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

What they did to him was lovely and they should've at least given him one SCF game (or at least another playoff game because why the gently caress did Kelly Clarkson do one) (though, to be fair, he cracked the door and the parade of Nashville Recording ArtistsTM blew it the rest of the way open, so it's slightly on him) but didn't somebody in one of these threads say they had/have a rotating cast of anthem singers anyway?

They didn't do anything to him and probably would have given him a game if he hadn't started bitching to the press before the WCF was over.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Mike Fisher announced he's retiring.

Boo, he had one more year in him.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

The Preds revealed their new road jerseys and I don't think I am crazy about them https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-show-off-new-adidas-road-uniform/c-290598146

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Bryan Murray died

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Just spent a few mins zoomed in on that image on my phone thinking I was an idiot for not understanding what was so bad about the predictions. There were some that I disagreed with, but on the whole it seemed pretty decent. Then I realized I was looking at the 16-17 columns the whole time

Um thanks, me too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't they need to have signing bonuses for the length of the contract to really dodge the impact? His salary in the last two years is almost certainly going to be less than what it is on paper today if it's not a bonus payment.

e: that could actually explain why Edmonton is willing to sign him for that much. If he's legit, he'll be a steal in those last couple years.

Existing contracts didn't get reduced in the last lockout.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Want to rescue this from the bottom of a page because it's really good.

Yeah I'm glad Bourne is back to writing because his stuff is always interesting.

Also: Crosby is good

https://twitter.com/FromTheFaceoff/status/899771668880654336

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

The cap recapture rule being applied retroactively is stupid. None of the players who signed these contracts expected to play the years they're getting paid $1m for.

It's not punishing them though, it's punishing the teams that would otherwise have faced no consequences for cheating the cap.

edit: If, instead of retiring, recapture makes these guys go on "LTIR" and collect a few extra million bucks, they're actually benefiting from it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

grack posted:

The cap recapture penalties and the contract length limits were put in place to prevent teams from signing absurd, back-diving contracts in the future. I'm pretty sure that the NHL won't care if the players who are currently signed to those contracts just end up getting put on LTIR when they want to retire.

The contract limits prevent the absurd backdiving contracts but the penalties are theoretically to deter GMs from potential future cap fuckery of other types. If the NHL allows obvious LTIR abuse to avoid that it would be allowing cap fuckery to escape the penalties for cap fuckery. Which, it's the NHL so they probably will but it's not like it's inconsequential.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

grack posted:

I meant for contracts signed prior to the latest CBA. I thought that would have been obvious.

Yeah, me too. They should stick to the recapture penalties for those contracts so that GMs get the idea that if, in the future they come up with new and exciting ways to get around the cap, they might end up getting hosed in new and exciting ways if the rest of the league doesn't like it.

Zodijackylite posted:

I just think that retroactively applying rules like this is really lovely.

It's kind of brilliant in a way. They're not explicitly punishing them for something that was allowed at the time, which taking away a draft pick would have been. They're not hurting the players or pissing off the NHLPA by changing the terms of the contract. It wouldn't be an issue if they intended the contract to be active to its full term.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 22, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

The league always had the power to just reject the backdiving contracts in the first place though, it's not like their hands were tied.

I'm not sure they really did. They couldn't set strict contract limits without re-negotiating the CBA and a lot of the back-diving contracts sort of looked ok if you squinted at them right. Like, Crosby for 12 years at age 25, that seems vaguely reasonable. The NHLPA would have been appealing some of those rejections and they would have gone to arbitration or something. The Kovalchuk contract was just completely nuts enough that they had to reject it, and then that set sort of an unfortunately low standard.

edit: I forgot that they sort of blessed all the post-Kovalchuk contracts https://www.nhl.com/news/kovy-deal-registered-as-nhl-nhlpa-reach-settlement/c-536524

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

The NHL was pushing for this, not the players. The NHL is the owners. They didn't accidentally add this during the last lockout & CBA negotiations.

Though I bet certain owners are super pissed about it.

• Locked thread