Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shifty Pony posted:

did they figure out what it was actually supposed to be?

poorly-conceived anti-analysis tech was the prevailing assumption afaik.

malware sandboxes typically send stock "yes it exists" replies to dns queries for a bunch of reasons. so you make a request to a bogus domain name that's never gonna be registered, and if dns claims it exists then you're probably in a malware sandbox so you should bail out to avoid leaking your secrets.

sounds like a good idea until you notice the kill-switch potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
passwords rotated by 360 degrees

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just lol if you can't do zero-downtime updates

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there are orgs that get pentested to this degree, mainly ones with nation states after them already

While there's a lot of value to "if you've got an exploit against this target, how much lateral movement do you get to non-vulnerable targets, and how quickly is the intrusion identified?", I don't see what you get by using actual 0-days rather than just, say, giving the pentesters local root on a particular box to jump off from.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
can't wait for the FW: Fw: Fw: FW: Fw: email chains about this

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's almost like having the opsec thread as containment for the security-relevant-yet-somewhat-d&dish discussions was actually a good thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

maskenfreiheit posted:

AMA about using my phone at def con

actual 4g coverage, or is someone there running a stingray?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also: the judge said it was void because they overstepped in questioning, and did it for too long (kept it up until midnight instead of stopping at 8pm like the order said). The implication being that if they hadn't done that, it would have been totally legal and the guy would have had no recourse whatsoever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

communism bitch posted:

I know this is a vague follow-up but if somebody hreaks into the wifi what's the reasonable worst they could do? Cause if it's just boosting free wifi i don't think anybody would care.

Can your company computer, when connected to the wifi, access any internal company services?

If so, what authentication do those services use?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

b0red posted:

Is MacKeeper now an actual company? I could've swore 5 years ago they were bloatware crap that always side installed itself with things from sourceforge.

afaik they're a bloatware company that employs a bunch of security professionals to give their crap a veneer of respectability.

their security professionals are actually pretty good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
co-opting the language of fascism for petty bullshit was a whole lot funnier before there were literal nazis marching in the street

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mrmcd posted:

The PC gaming master race joke was making fun of stupid pc gamer elitism, it had nothing to do with Trump, but w/e.

right, they were about nazis, and co-opting their language for petty bullshit was pretty funny.

it's a lot less funny these days, if you're a human being that actually interacts with the world at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the joke still means literally the same thing it used to mean. it was always a reference to the "aryan master race" idea common in nazi propaganda.

the recent resurgence in nazi ideology is what makes it a lot less funny than it used to be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cocoa Crispies posted:

reddit pc gamers were never coöpting the language of fascism

they were always fascists

this is possibly true.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you're thinking of rm -rf /

* blows away everything in the current directory

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the whole situation would be trivially solved with legislation. the phone companies already know who they're going to bill for a call, independent of the actual caller id

all you need to do is shuffle liability around to give them an actual incentive to solve it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you could compute the hashes on your own, then the person who's stolen your nudes could do exactly the same thing and figure out how much they need to tweak the image until it no longer matches.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

State actors are going to have a field day with that one

Well, the ones that didn't have an exploit already will.

e: I guess the ones that already have one will be more willing to go ham with it, since it's now less valuable to keep secret.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the days of unexpected emails are long past. nowadays phishing is super specific.

the phishing exercise im complaining about is both timing and subject specific. the users 120% expect the kinds of emails that were sent.

So the anti-phishing exercise is mimicking exactly what a spearphisher targeting your organisation is going to try?

This is a bad thing why?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in general yes, i'd assume that someone who has an actual employment relationship with a business that digitizes receipts is at least very slightly more trustworthy than an anonymous person visiting the mechanical turk website.

like, you can accept these tasks and look at people's receipts and stuff without even logging in.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"and what's the big deal with all these companies leaving user data in publicly-accessible s3 buckets? it's not any worse than if the data was only accessible to the outsourcing agency hired to process that data" - fishmech

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I guess that's one way you can claim to respond quickly to every security email you get.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

emoji posted:

Hasn't utorrent itself explicitly been malware for many years?

Maybe he found a vulnerability in 2.4.4 or whatever everyone recommends as "the last version before they crapped it up"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want people to think you're making a joke you should try being funny.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah, if you look back at the previous days, it's shaping up to be "print out a colourful christmas tree"

or at least, that's what it's going to look like it's done...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you need an iot id to sign into an id:iot account

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The_Franz posted:

they didn't directly include anything, but it had so many security holes that for many people it ended up looking like this after 5 minutes:

your picture doesn't have bonzi buddy so i don't believe you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean it's just a redirect to other (presumably SSL'd?) information right, what would SSL really get you there

e: domain validation maybe i guess?

An attacker could mitm the shortlink to point to a phishing site.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
FWIW, all you actually need for that is DNS.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Daman posted:

to be fair, his first submissions are garbage begbounty style poo poo and probably set the tone for how the engineer would read his future reports

"We already knew about this, and we also don't plan to fix it any time soon" is an incredibly bullshit reason to not pay out a bounty.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fwiw, this article is "this seemed promising, but didn't end up with any concrete results"

it does seem likely that someone found a way to actually leak useful information with this mechanism, but it's not the way described in this article

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The difference is probably whether or not you're high-level enough that the company would back you up instead of throwing you under the bus.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i would venture that most democracies are bad at investigating and punishing crimes of people with money, because if they were good at it the people with money would lobby to make them bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cinci zoo sniper posted:

itll be very microsoft for virtualisation security issue to affect windows 10 home. also what articles are you seeing with embargo still up?

stuff that lets you leak memory from other vms on the same host also lets you leak memory from just other stuff on your machine, not sure why you'd think that's unusual.

there aren't any articles really, people are just reading between the lines.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so whom are you leaking your memory to on a local machine? or is it non-vm apps that are leaking?

are you one of those templeos proponents who doesn't believe in process isolation or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
then maybe you can figure out on your own why leaking kernel memory to a user-space process is a bad thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
were you looking for a tweet of someone saying "thing bad" in 140 characters or less?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
context switching already trashes your userspace tlb caches, i doubt the new effects from pti are going to be significantly measurable compared to that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess if you nuked the branch predictor state across security boundaries that would mitigate it? Perhaps make it exportable and importable and let the os kernel switch it out along with the rest of the thread state.

So there's probably a reasonable way to design an architecture that still gets the benefits of speculative execution without having it leak information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

James Baud posted:

If you're executing arbitrary code to exploit the side channel, you're already 99% of the way to everything that matters in most of the world.

most of the world disables javascript?

• Locked thread