Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
3do didn't have any kind of drm did it?

my old fz-1 is finicky, but it'll play burned discs without any mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lain Iwakura posted:

zero

it just has a really wonky disc format that required me to setup a linux vm running kernel 2.6 to properly read them

operafs for win32 is still floating around, what were you using on linux that's so kernel specific?

e: never mind, yeah i see the linux version still only has up to 2.6 support

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ars has a peice on the anti-malware engine exploits tavis found

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a breathless and poorly written piece on the petya variant that hit recently

tl;dr: it's not really ransomware as it straight up overwrites the boot sector and subsequent blocks, there's no way to decrypt them because they weren't actually encrypted at all, presumably this is by design.

for some reason it ignores the existence of low level file recovery tools like testdisk and photorec, which will likely recover the file data regardless of mbr and mft damage

e: the implication being this is a state-level attack disguised to look like ransomware to generate a different narrative

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 28, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

were there any vulns found in apple's SMB implementation? they rolled their own sometime after 10.6 iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another live fire exercise on Ukranian infrastructure, with a side of collateral damage, made to be plausibly connected to previous ransomware attacks?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey, guys, guys, guys.

cyberwar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you really think someone would do that? just go on the internet and tell lies?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jfc

this is better than the bitcoin wallet inspector

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You don't put your actual password in those, you use something of the same length and characteristics.

yes, a password inspector. don't use your actual password (any of them, for anything), just one you might use.

cool, no problem, and definitely something a layperson worried about wizardsec would use in the manner in which its intended.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I dunno, I found them useful to demonstrate to people the importance of complexity.

what kind of complexity? how does it work?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Short vs. Long, use of special characters, numbers, capitals. People are really dumb, and having something to show them to say "look, this simple change gives you way more protection without making your life more difficult" is useful. The thing just evaluates attack space and compares to brute force speed to get approximate time to crack.

okay, so the issue is a "complex" password isn't necessarily a harder to crack password. assuming you're going for a human memorable password, you probably just want a long phrase rather than something that has a bunch of special characters in it. but also, if the thing just scores Name<birthyear> as complex* it's not very good either

*microsoft online services, i'm looking at you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because a tool that says "check your password here" is a stupid tool*.

look at this website: http://www.speedypassword.com (http!!!)

do you think "Test your password below to check its strength and find out how secure it is!" suggests you should enter your actual password?

a site that offers to generate username and password pairs for you?

seriously?

*to be clear, i'm talking specifically about this password inspector website (you know, the one the tweet was about), password strength indicators in general can be useful assuming they're part of the service you're creating an account for, and properly weight things. telling someone to put their password into a random website probably isn't doing them any favours though

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 19, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

> e.- StartCom has developed a new CMS system and website, using a new
> language, PHP, from scratch.

:discourse:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

unfortunately i don't think that'd fit in the thread title

cis autodrag posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - you're too busy hyperventilating to read sentences correctly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

correct battery horse staple

oh no! my brainwallet! how did they figure out my unhackable password?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i bet now you'll think twice before committing a terror

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i thought FTDI was more of a "we're going to push an update that breaks knock-off chips"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

presumably that's why they did it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

my echo is useless

it still works as a speaker in some fashion though doesn't it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s also important to note that OP believes that he never agreed to the FCC.gov TOS because he never applied for an API key, he just managed to get the URL through their faulty comment system, no hacking involved.

Ya' boy is hosed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so how hard do we laugh when they're charged with a felony for this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lain Iwakura posted:

on the subject of hdd destruction, my approach is going to take me a while

i have about 30 drives left

are you making an art? cause otherwise i just use a drill press, you can go through a stack of drives in five minutes

keep those magnets tho, just in case you ever have the need to attach a car to your ceiling or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the only downside is modern drives have tiny magnets compared to the old ide drives. real old school mfm drives had magnets that could break fingers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, so basically the inspiration for the office 2003 ui?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask peter watts about that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because it's convenient, but you don't want the police to be able to rifle through your phone?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually they should do detailed and in-depth industry consultations, then implement the exact opposite of whatever recommendations they were given

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SVR Tracking leaks thousands of account credentials for vehicle tracking service, via everyone's favourite, unprotected amazon s3 bucket

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

having worked with point of sale vendors i can assure you they know sweet gently caress all about security

the fact that there aren’t more high profile breaches of retail chains like target is purely because of the laziness of criminals

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Any credit/debit card infrastructure/procedural changes are part of the eternal battle between banks and merchants to foist any and all costs and liabilities onto the other.

capitalists duking it out among themselves over their ability to externalize costs to eachother will forever be the most beautiful part of capitalism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're rotating at 15k rpm, so yeah vibration is bad

e: it surprising how resilient they are given the sensitivity

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 30, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

no it was just one rogue engineer! i totally heard him walking around the office loudly yelling HA HA HA THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET MY BONER ROCK HARD IS BY LIVING ON THE EDGE AND NEVER PATCHING SOFTWARE!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT PEOPLE'S DATA AND HITLER HAD GOOD IDEAS! HAIL SATAN

i tried to stop him but i'm just a good honest american christian CEO, what could i have done???

Equifax hired James Damore?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

the biggest risk in infosec is your self-important fuckhead users who won't report when something is wrong until months later http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/john-kelly-cell-phone-compromised-243514

remember when this was predicted back in january?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

turns out letting people with security clearance byod is exactly as loving stupid as anyone with the least bit of sense assumed.

letting people with security clearance use android is just that much worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, the article says that his phone was issued, so it's probably not byod.

and in the image it's an iphone, so i'm 0 for 2 so far.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

yeah i have a envelope for my wife in a fireproof safe, labeled "open in the event of my death or long term mental incapacitation"

so how long ago did she open it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how else do you track your billables?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

from the pc you use to send the file to the printer?

yeah, but sometimes you gotta photocopy, or god forbid, fax

gotta itemize that poo poo somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, no, you use a client code, or user specific access card

• Locked thread