Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

depends on how you define workstation i guess. anything dual-socket will be legit, but there's not much of that. beyond that anything single socket that supports xeons and ecc should count, and gigabyte, asus, et al. have something it's just hard to find unless you go digging for it on their site.

in fairly sure workstation in this case means "cheaper than consumer tier motherboard without marketing I dislike", and not legitimate boards like $500 WS C621E SAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

no, workstation in my case would actually mean at least some variants support multiple sockets, ECC, and so on

like something equivalent to what would be in an oldschool Mac Pro, or an Intel-based Sun or SGI workstation

well, those are made just by almost any motherboard manufacturer that exists

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my appartment complex door code is abab so the buttons a and b are in markedly different colour than the rest

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

the #1 attribute I want to avoid is the assumption I’ll throw it away for something newer in a year so they don’t have to provide firmware updates

I’m also just fine without features like LED control and overclocking support that just makes things unstable

firmware updates are guaranteed to be a goner in 4-5 years, maybe even sooner - depends on the manufacturer. there's nothing inherently unstable about overclocking support however, unless you don't know what you do or got the first $99 cars you saw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what was thread consensus on telegram? im trying it out as a whatsapp replacement for sending cat photos to relatives and stupid jokes to friends and it seems ok + im happy to share less with facebook even if that means sharing more with less overreaching vk/kgb/whatever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

just use signal

i wont get anyone there and dont care that much i think, but yeah ive heard of signal and tox, especially of signal itt. i wouldnt care much more than whatsapp either, but i really dont like that they were acquired by facebook

on that note, apparently russian linux community has some homegrown messenger that needs in-person meeting with mutual qr code scanning to add someone to your contacts. :eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this sort of thing has been a lug staple as long as long as there has been lugs

it is clearly very tricky for people to inhabit the middle ground between "does not know or care about security at all" and "i need a stronger quantum guarantee on the randomness of my otps in case there exists a parallel dimension where a mustachioed version of me may have rolled these dice in the same way i did and now wants to read my spam email through a wormhole"

i completely don't get the first line

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

linux user group

ah, i was thinking of verb "lug" and completely overthinking this :cripes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

whatsapp is definitely more kgb secure than telegram if only because telegram doesn’t encrypt chats by default

i care much less about kgb security than i do about sharing any information with facebook

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm the implication that telegram encryption isn't broken by said agency

how on earth were you reading my post

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this a bit of a stretch to fear this though, as the content/chats themselves are encrypted, and it is a bit tinfoily to assume that facebook straight up lies about the encryption setup used, as it'd be a real pr blow when (and it likely is 'when', since the binary is there to be observed) found out

i dont think they read my chats or whatever, not do i care about security of cat pictures and video game chat specifically. i just don't like installing fb affiliated apps after ive seen some interesting "privacy" wonders on an absolutely unrelated to anything else i have throwaway instragram account, which did shamelessly recommend me all my real facebook friends straight away

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

looks like some estonian medical institution paid its way out of ransomware

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

people who are using telegram aren’t using it for group chats, right?

https://twitter.com/tqbf/status/951231270025158657

much like people using whatsapp or signal if the headlines are to be believed?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I’m pretty sure those encrypt group chats.

so was i

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

RE: signal, are you talking about the patched bug in the Android version that let someone attach random bits to the end of an encrypted attachment?

https://pwnaccelerator.github.io/2016/signal-part1.html
https://pwnaccelerator.github.io/2016/signal-part2.html

https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/713.pdf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://petermolnar.net/linkedin-public-settings-ignored/ lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

sounds like a mul-t-lock, but i've only ever seen those on mall shop doors and evidence vaults

my parents home has had a lock like that for at least a decade, in rural latvia. the only place that is able to forge a key like that is some fancy pants service centre in the capital

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

yeah macos is on a roll lately

was the development of it taken over by the itunes crew?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Details about two vulnerabilities in an adult-themed virtual reality (VR) application were available to the general public for five days before the vendor intervened and patched the security holes.

Research published by Digital Interruption, a UK-based cyber-security company, revealed that

nVR, a web-based service selling adult-themed VR applications, contained two vulnerabilities that would have allowed an attacker to download names, email addresses and device (PC) names for everyone with an account on the site or for people who purchased content using PayPal accounts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Honestly not sure but earlier/ a few weeks after the Malwarebytes email we all got emails to immidietly change our comp passwords, that the wifi/network passwords have all changed and that the dude who sent the Malwarebytes solution email was "no longer with the company" with an effective date in the middle of the week.

oh god laffo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Father Jack posted:

is there any consensus in this thread on how boned systems that aren't going to get microcode updates for spectre and meltdown are?

is it only a matter of time before exploits appear? or is it possible that software patches alone can secure them?

we're in a funny time where a 6 year old machine can actually be just fine for a lot of people, it'll be a shame if they all have to be trashed.

i wouldn't use those systems for anything important, and i think that a year is a very generous window for "real" hacks to appear

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Father Jack posted:

i'm thinking more about home users with an older laptop/desktop running w10 and getting patches as they come out.

is it probable they're going to need to upgrade just for this? or is it more likely to remain a thoeretical threat that never becomes a big thing?

i guess if you can pop a whole bunch of people with lower hanging fruit why bother with something more complex, but it's still unnerving.

everything of mine is flashed and patched except my ancient htpc. i was planning to upgrade it anyway, but i'd be wanting to now even it wasn't slow as balls.

maybe i'm being paranoid because of how much media attention this has got, so this seemed the place to ask.

no one will tell you "yeah dude there is no way in hell this relatively recent processor flaw will affect you in the slightest, ever"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Would it be feasible to write laws around having to make programs secure, similar to food/fire safety laws?
no

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

my favorite thing so far is when i asked why we don't pay for slack or run our own slack server and was told "well this way the messages automatically become inaccessible after a certain amount of time due to the usage limits" and i'm like "they're still there you just can't see them without paying" and was told "yeah but the auditors can't see them so they don't exist :downs:"

lmao we have the opposite problem, we don't pay for slack and use it to discuss everything important with the it so there basically is no paper trail because are programmers are imbeciles who find email to be too difficult to operate

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the rest of that thread is rad but what about the text file itself?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

*woop*woop* it’s the android police

*woop*woop* it’s a site for the obese

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It wasn't the aluminum tubes that brought us there, friendo.

mah steel beams

• Locked thread