Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I like how to OP is worded makes it sound like Bray Wyatt challenged Curt Hawkins to a PPV match.

At least he'd probably win that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dimebags Brain posted:

Brock/Joe and Neville/Tozawa what the gently caress WWE why are you putting in matches I actually want to see? Why couldn't you have done this for the past three years?

Tozawa/Neville better just be 14 minutes of insane Dragon Gate spots.

HAHAHAHA

Neville is a heel now. So it's going to be slow, mat based, and focus on targeting a limb. Really show off what the cruiserweights are known for!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

On the opposite end, he saw Reigns (a guy he likes and fully supports) struggling to get cheers and thought the solution was he needed a Better Heel to beat

So he got a Rumble win and a world title. And still couldn't put over Reigns enough that the fans loved him.

There's some good things about that HHH thing in theory. 3 things that stand out of it being awful were how HHH was allowed to make Roman bleed (when no one else on the card can), HHH didn't cheat or do dastardly things in ring, and who the hell booked their mania match to be 27 minutes.

I actually can get that there are HHH fans out there who love to see him wrestle once a year, and get his big entrance. But he shouldn't have the biggest entrance of Wrestlemania, and he shouldn't be going beyond 15 minutes maximum.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hunter is not perfect by any means but there's like no way it can be a worse product when Vince dies. It's not possible.

Systemic problems are very difficult to defeat. Hell, RAW desperately needs to not be 3 hours, but they have multi year contracts locked into it being that length. They shouldn't have done that in the first place, but now its hard to undo that can of worms.

They might be able to change some of the nature of the WWE (is it a sport? entertainment? what style of pro wrestling is it?), but they won't replace the writing staff, agents, production people (Kevin Dunn and his ludicrous paycheque), etc.

VJeff posted:

Look, I know you don't watch NXT, but there's two things about it that stick out above everything else.
1) The storytelling is simple, long-term and doesn't try to insult or outsmart the audience. It's just simple pro wrestling storytelling.
2) The wrestlers wrestle in the style that got them over on the outside.

There's a bunch of other stuff (championship matches always feel like a big deal, champions are kept very strong even if they're heels, sometimes the show will even start with a match and not a goddamn 20 minute promo, there's little to no 50/50 booking) but If just those two things hold over on when he gets control of the main roster, it'll get about a million times better.

I think one of the biggest problems in NXT and WWE generally is all the loving rematches. It feels like Nakamura for example faced Zayn, Aries, then faced Joe for 6 months, then Roode for 3 months. NXT for a year and he only really had 4 feuds.

A fantasy booking dream I have is that they institute a policy of no rematches between PPVs. Just MAKE them shake up the loving matches. Jinder has been feuding with Orton since April 18, and no one else has touched the possibility of a WWE title match in that time.

kinetic77 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's done. NXT Bayley vs WWE Bayley are not the same. See also Sami Zayn, American Alpha, Enzo and Cass, all the cruiser weights, etc.

I'll disagree on Enzo and Cass, to some extent. Letting Enzo talk more freely has sometimes been the best part of their appearances, his spiels really are entertaining, and their matches are a bit basic, but a solidly done tag match is always good. True, they should have booked Enzo to seem like a competant wrestler who had his own talent pool that complemented Cass to form a better team together, rather than the story for the past year that Enzo is holding Cass back. And no chicken loving, and not have Enzo be an rear end in a top hat all the time (flashing Lana, for example). Wait, they really did gently caress up the team, didn't they?
Still stupid in NXT they didn't just end the plotline of Enzo wanting to gently caress Carmella by having him discover Cass with Carmella and backing off because he won't hit on his friend's girl. Instead....the plotline just stopped and then Carmella was just hanging out with them always.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I mean, say what you want about Roman's character and booking, 85% of it has been terrible, but at the very least they got the kids 'n soccer moms portion of it right. It's the easiest section of the fanbase to get over with, they like the person that wins a lot and looks strong when they do it.

Bayley was tailor-made for that bit of the fanbase, and they screwed her up so much the kids were apparently cheering Bliss during their kendo stick match.

Character that's basically female Cena doesn't have a clean singles win on the main roster in like 7 months, gets the title handed to her by her friend, really only has one major clean successful defense of it at Mania in a multi match, then gets made to look like a schmuck in her first major defense feud and promptly loses it in her hometown THEN gets destroyed in the rematch where she refuses to go :ssj:.

That's like the complete opposite way to book someone to get over with their intended demographic, or ANY wrestling demo really.

Their ability to gently caress up everything with Bayley's plotline astounds me. Like the cane match so many variations would have been better- example have Bayley manage to get the cane, hit Bliss once, and then Bliss begs Bayley to stop. Bayley can't hit a person protesting in this way and tries to return to wrestling, but hypocrite Bliss uses the cane and manages to win with that. But all of the storytelling has been so off, including the in-ring storytelling.

Vaguido posted:

The main issue with booking right now that's been talked about to death is something that Bryan Alverez recently ranted about on the most recent free WOR. WWE is more focused on heat for heels than they are making babyfaces cool and likeable. This ends up with heels who are cheered because they're the only ones who can get poo poo done, and babyfaces can't get anyone behind them because they are constantly booked to look like idiots, losers and fools.

And assholes! Almost all the faces are complete rear end in a top hat jerks, so it's hard to cheer them. Even Zayn was a jerk to Mike and Maria this week! Roman, Dean, Seth, AJ, Cena (in the past, he's been pretty good of late) are so hard to support because they're egotistical, selfish assholes. When a shield brother is being beaten up, do the others help? Think of how rare it is for a face to come out and try and stop someone being beaten up because it's the right thing to do.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 29, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

Regarding Writer/Vince/HHH chat earlier in the thread, I have a stupid question:

Do you think WWE could, if they so chose, hire the showrunner of a successful "prestige TV" show to come do a "season" of WWE and help unfuck all the dumb writing and bad planning? Like would the skills translate? I'm thinking, like, could you throw some money at Game of Thrones' David Benioff and have him point WWE in the right direction? I mean, he runs a show with like 50 main characters where the whole point is people fighting and betraying each other. Do you think that would make him able to write WWE better?

If not an outside showrunner, who would you have replace HHH/Vince as the heads of Creative?

A few factors would prevent this, including WWE is poison on a serious resume; WWE doesn't pay people well generally (except for Kevin Dunn's baffling $4.7 million a year); 3. They don't really have that kind of chain of command. Like Vince and/or Hunter wouldn't let some outside run things. People aren't kidding about edicts from on high that drastically change storylines, whether long term or short term, at astoundingly short notice. If I recall correctly, it's very rare for RAW to be completely written an hour beforehand, without any changes from then.

WWE would almost certainly be way too unprofessional an environment for serious writers. And giving up control, giving a good wage, and creating a good working environment (doubtful they would let a star writer just write from a single location, they might insanely have them follow them around the world on WWEs travels).

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Hey, the build to Sting-HHH was alright! But then bafflingly the match was completely different from the story they'd told up to that point.

Dias posted:

You know what, I'll bite even though I know there's 0% chance of me getting a non-ironic answer: why do you think Roman Reigns is a legitimate great wrestler? You, not Meltzer or whatever. I think he's a perfectly OK dude that has had the benefit of instant heat from being always in the title contendership and the chance to work with some amazing talent. The issue isn't that his moveset is limited, is that it's uninteresting, his power offense looks like a struggle, his brawling is limited to superman punches and the drive-by. His spear is a good finisher but it's also overplayed, so he doesn't even get the Stunner/RKO boost there. He's booked to be at the same time this unbeatable monster and the full-of-heart babyface. There's no drama in Roman matches, he takes extended heat, makes the comeback a la Cena and either gets screwed or hits a spear. Outside of the ring, dude is not a good promo, and WWE has built his character up to be as generic as possible. LIke, I don't think he's horrible or unsalvageable, but what is the FIRE psychology Roman brings to the table, what is the unique personality and character work, what's the technical element?

He has good pacing, and knows how to make drama in matches. He's not amazing, but he's had way too many matches I've enjoyed to claim I don't like his in-ring work. Someone earlier said that he's rarely going to elevate opponents, but he can hold his own end of the bargain against the best. I would like a more varied moveset, and gently caress the spear as his finisher, but he is a good wrestler.

• Locked thread