Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

There was a streamer that set out to get every item. It took him 2 years. 6 months for all but one and then another 18 months for the last item.

I don't know if that included runes or just wearable gear.

Just gear. And even after all of that he had the galaxy brain take that QoL stuff would make the game too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm at Paragon 580 and found 9 etherals - 2 GFs, 2 Doombringers, 4 Glimmersheds (including one at level 20 or so) and an Arioc's Needle. They really started dropping once T16 rifts and higher level Greater Rifts went under way.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This is only my second season but uh Inna's is super fun and easy to play.

Also the puzzle ring farming thing is a pretty neat thing even without the ethereal drop rate on greed is there anything else like that I should know? Also I'm actually getting 3 legendary drops at 31 (broken promise ring, lol) did I do something weird or was I just not paying attention? I'm using a witch doctor. Its still reasonably effective but I'm on switch if that matters.

The initial video has an error and there are 3 legendary rings at level 31, not 2 (the author straightened it out in the comments).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Jelly posted:

I honestly don't know if that's rationally possible with the limitations to Act II Normal difficulty. I imagine Countess runs would yield the most likelihood but I bet it's close to zero.

(I finished my post which I accidentally hit submit on)

Nah, even hell countess can drop something like Lo at the very highest end. You'd need to cube a shitton of runes if you were grinding at normal only (the number of gems would be pretty substantial too I guess).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Respecs are craftable/farmable in D2. You just need to beat act bosses in hell difficulty until each spits out an item (Andy and Duriel share theirs I think).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Khorne posted:

People also figured out how to quest glitch duriel which makes certain things like arach way easier to drop.

Is the Duriel quest glitch similar to Andy's? I'm assuming you want to go via Summoner to get the symbols first, right?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Try throwing like 20 shards on the ground, pretty cool effects :v:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Boatswain posted:

Any euros around next week/end? Fan of Knives is a pain to level :sun:

As in around for powerleveling? I might be around, built up a DH over the weekend and it's capable of running around on T16 already, so should be pretty fast. Though tbh, I'll proooobably have my fill of D3 within the 2 weeks before Christmas, so sooner is better than later.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bleh, rolled dex Tasker and Theo for my guaranteed primal, dropped another primal today and it's another Tasker and Theo (except with even worse rolls).

bamhand posted:

How are you getting gems for your augments? I'm super low on gems. And I've converted all the types I don't use already too.

Run T16 Greed with a Broken Crown + any actual gem.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I think it's the same recipe as with legendary gems, except you put shards instead of them. Higher level shards give a larger bonus.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

On the other hand, Uliana's can eat a bowl of dicks. Inna's is also kind of inconvenient now since if you wear anything except the set and a weapon, your planar dudes will kill everything before you have a chance to activate them :saddowns:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

RodShaft posted:

Inna's set dungeon is impossible. I'm unable to keep my allies from murdering everything even when wearing nothing but Inna's and frost boots with no paragon.

Guess I'm doing monkey king.

I think I managed to do it with Inna+In-geom and literally nothing else, dismissed follower, removed offensive paragon points. Still took a couple of tries. Don't remember the setup in the cube.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Do melee characters (Barb, Monk and I guess Crusader now?) get that automatic 30% damage reduction or was that removed?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Good thing d2r season starts a couple weeks after.

Considering how much I played the original D2 not only back in the day, but also literally like a year before, I'm honestly surprised how I bounced off from D2R during the open beta and didn't bother buying it. The D3 loot system (that I only play like once or twice a year for a week anyway) spoiled me :( .

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW launch D3 did have personal/instanced loot. What it took multiple patch cycles to resolve was identifying items (you used to need to ID magic blue and rare yellows!) and markers for legendaries.

I think most OG legendaries were garbage anyway, since they didn't roll for your level - they were specific items like in D2.

I also remember playing for the first time on Inferno (Barbarian) with my friend (Demon Hunter). Act 1 was somewhat doable, if tedious - I think the only viable thing I could do was keep spamming Revenge for HP regeneration and all the +Health party boosts, while the DH whittled down mobs. A2 bugs just slaughtered us, I think we barely made it into town.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

If you just want to play around, then Normal + Nightmare is fine for most classes with minimal grinding. Hell requires actual builds + there are immunes everywhere, so some classes can get shafted hard. Farming usually looks like putting 2-3 minutes of your life on a loop for a chance to get something vaguely useful (for any class, not necessarily yours) every 50 tries or so.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yea, I did the boss rush one this season with Crusader, I'd just recommending leaving either Diablo or Mathael for last since they take their sweet time dying, blocking you from TPing away.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

There's only two possible relics for each follower. It's 50/50 shot of getting the one you want if you use the cube to upgrade crafted yellow relics from the blacksmith.

There's three: 50% cooldown/immortal/all skill.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Bounties are more annoying than set dungeons, IMO.

Eh, I did a class worth of set dungeons for the past 6 seasons (for the ~achievement~) and the 4/class were far more annoying to master than just opening a public game and zooming around in an act or two and murdering mobs. Though tbh I only play to Paragon ~800, so maybe I don't use enough materials per season to have to grind an absolute fuckton of them.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Huh weird. I was looking around the No Six PIece Set leaderboards on EU and noticed that the top two spaces on the Demon Hunter are just Shadow set impale DHs. No other class has something like this.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Race who bots the fastest to 99.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mailer posted:

Hah that would be really idiotic and completely ignorant of technology even in 1999. No, seriously, what was the competition for?

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=77291134&f=21 posted:

After seeing how the first season went down, Blizzard decided to perform its first ladder reset on July 7th, 2004 with a promotional contest called "When Worlds Collide," as World of Warcraft was scheduled to be released the following year. The contest began for all users that had a legitimate registered account (for recovery) for all 5 Realms, and it was a ladder race to be the first to reach level 99. The first character to reach level 99 on the ladder, regardless of being on classic or expansion, hardcore or not, would be awarded a prize containing a Blizzard T-Shirt, a signed copy of World of Warcraft Collector's Edition, a toy statue, and a Blizzard North CD Wallet. The Ruststorm program was run during this season once, and several users complained that their items had been erased unfairly. This season also introduced several new exclusive "ladder-only" Rune Words later after the ladder race had come to an end just before 2005.

I started playing around this time (before the runewords like Spirit and Insight came online) and I vaguely remember seeing this contest on either Arreat Summit or Battle.net .
EDIT: I think I got into some botting like within a year and it was fairly straightforward, even for a dumb teenager. Setting up public Baalruns with multiple bots, or just MFing, etc. Especially the former was really common, the vast majority of baalrun games in Hell were hosted by bots.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 7, 2023

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

My only contact with PVP in D2 was seeing how quickly I can press Escape + Save/Exit in a HC game after someone else turns hostile.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I swear to god, this wheel can read minds

Wizard it is!

Yeah, it only took me three tries to roll the class I wanted.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

does the whisper of atonement have to be exactly 125 or does it just have to be at least 125?

125 is the max value it gets, so either/or.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

There's no particular trick for getting a Staff of Herding other than just farming Chiltara and that mysterious cave in Dalghur Oasis a lot, right? Does higher Torment increase those drop rates?

Nope

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think 7-8 years ago Diablo 3 did switch over to a 64-bit client, probably in part to help manage the swelling damage numbers at that point. The old client would probably CTD as soon as you zoned into a GR120 these days.

You can still use 64 bit numbers in a 32 bit executable. What the switch to 64b allows you to do is to use more memory.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

You won’t be able to hit 70 in under an hour on your first character solo

This season you actually can.

EDIT: I guess for a first time player it's a bit of a jump in convolutedness, in which case there's definitely no need to short-circuit your funtime if you enjoy leveling.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Decided to make this my first (and only season) to get to GR 150, finally doing it at paragon 1506. My non-ladder paragon is at 1080, how the gently caress people go through the grind in less overpowered seasons, I have no idea.

Edit: got some great primals that actually matter (Nilfur and CoE) too. https://eu.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/mkay-2817/hero/154813007

mmkay fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 6, 2023