Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
TBH, the thing that hit me the hardest from the quarterly update was the picture of the paragon stuff they just slipped right in. I know they talked before about the paragon boards and whatever, but seeing it pictured gave me a waaaaay more visceral response than reading about it.

Seriously, what the hell is that garbage? Is that a loving search bar in your talent tree, Blizzard? What are you even doing!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Dysgenesis posted:

The old tal meteor build is one of my favourites of all time (along with holy shotgun and ue multushot) and I hope its as crazy as they think it will be as the last iteration with mempo wasn't tested on the ptr.
I went poking around maxroll and was rather surprised to find Meteor Tal in their projected S Tier.

Of course, it's a finicky Star Pact build which means a right pain in the rear end to actually play... but I imagine that means the much more friendly lightning build or whatever should be plenty capable.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Upgrade a wand for the cube power. If it's Serpent Sparker or the Frag then try to gamble sources for Winter Flurry. If it's anything else then gamble helms for Leo's Crown. Wizards don't have to worry too much about early gambles because as soon as you get Disintegrate all you need is a big rare 2H weapon to carry you to max level.
I look forward to my wizard-leveling-seasons a lot, because murdering everything with Disintegrate is very fun. Do recommend.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The Smoldering Core also helps a bunch on non-elite stuff, too, since it taunts them away from you. It also makes playing non-lightning meteors a lot more palatable, I find.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Single-digit trillions don't show up with Ts from what I've seen, they display as four-digit Bs (aka 1,000B not 1T).

That said, trillions are pretty easily possible. My Tal Meteors is delivering, like, 10-20 trillion damage shots without CoE to solitary targets. It's all very silly.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Tal's set dungeon is very easy and also incredibly infuriating.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i assume you had the same experience as me where it was a total cakewalk and then you got rockwormed at the very end
I think it took me four or five times to master it this season because I'd keep getting hit by different freakin' worms.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'll be honest, I enjoy the concept of set dungeons. Little puzzles to figure out, based on how the powers you get change up your abilities. Riddles to even figure out their locations. I don't even totally hate the idea of having to gear down in some of them so as not to obliterate everything because you need to be more precise.

But, man, I do not enjoy actually doing them. If I had to guess, it's probably because they're too disconnected from the rest of the game. There are literally no rewards, which is anathema in this game. Throw something at me for mastering one the first time each season!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, the hardest part of The Thrill nowadays is remembering to save a legendary for enough slots so that you don't have to scramble to get something together when you decide you want to do a conquest.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm still entirely confused as to where the idea that D2 "isn't colourful" comes from. Game has plenty of colour!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The other day Wowhead did a write-up of the D4 sorc, and their conclusion was basically "it's exactly what you expect it to be" and I think that's just... kinda sad. One thing I think D3 did a pretty good job at was making skill references to D2 while not being exactly the same, and having new stuff at the same time.

For example, here is a list of the fire skills the sorc apparently has in D4. It might look familiar:
Firebolt
Fireball
Incinerate (aka Inferno)
Flame Shield
Hydra
Meteor
Firewall
Ultimate: Inferno (the fire snake)

They thought of one new thing outside of the mandatory-in-modern-games defensive ability. One! We've even kept the ol' Firebolt/Fireball dichotomy in the Year of Our Lord 2023 because we can't be assed to think up a different filler fire spell.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
To be fair, the sorc's other two spell schools do seem to have a couple more new ideas, but that fire tree... woof. Couldn't even be bothered to bring back, say, that running-fire-man spell whose name I can't remember from D1 to give it a little bit of flavour.

BurningBeard posted:

I have no interest in endgame for it, but a once-through with all the classes would probably take a good while no? What would you guys say to someone who’d somehow missed that particular train, coming to it now?
D2 is one of the classics for a reason, and a couple casual playthroughs can be a worthwhile experience.

HOWEVER.

Be warned that even with D2R's improvements, it is very much a game of its time and if you can't handle 2000-era game design you will probably struggle with it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The thing that I always come back to, personally, is elemental immunities. Being effectively unable to play the game because gently caress you is generally not A Thing anymore.

exquisite tea posted:

Stamina becomes a total non-issue as soon as you build up some Vitality (oh yeah, I hope you figured out that every other stat except Vitality is pretty much pointless outside of being able to wear armor and gimmick builds).
Unless you accidentally equip some heavy armour, especially on a caster. A sorc in the 40s can totally run into stamina problems with the wrong equipment!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Eyeballing it, trap DH is just gonna use 2pc Shadow and be another Strafe build, which seems lame.

DarkMatt posted:

Does look like you get to pick and choose which bonuses you get first, so thankfully the really nasty grinds won't feel mandatory because it'll be for the bonuses you didn't want. Smart. Like it.
Depends on how mandatory you feel the wings are, I suppose. :v:

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

sometimes i imagine what d3 would have become if they'd just kept adding content to it like 4 years ago

also lowkey this seems like a bunch of reused stuff from a scrapped premium pass that got made into an event or something, particularly the pet autopickup/autosalvage stuff. whatever the case, cool to see D3 getting new stuff
The real problem with this stuff is that I'm going to want it for forever.

...although I guess this season will probably last until D4 comes out, at which point D3 likely never receives another meaningful update.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What advantage would a trap DH have to using Strafe.
Mostly it's one of the few skills you can use with S2 and hits rapidly to set and trigger the traps.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Last week Wowhead posted a... well, they called it an "updated game overview with info from the December press preview build". Whatever.

At the very end they've got a couple little notes: Runes, runewords, and set items will not be in D4 at launch because, y'know, they want to take the time to do them right. And I'm just sitting over here screaming internally.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Lid posted:

Well in D3 sets are required for builds and non set LoD builds while sometimes better are so impossible to get to without effort vs D2 where all but like one set are useless and thus built around unique. It's likely they're trying to find a medium and entirely failing.
Yeah, a friend of mine sees "no sets" as a good thing, because he's one of those people who blame sets wholesale for how D3 ended up. Personally, even if you DO believe that I don't see how "we're delivering just the barest-bones itemization strategy we can get away with" is anything to be celebrated.

It was very, very obvious through their quarterly updates that they were struggling hard with items and redesigned the system wholesale at least a couple of times, but man. It's just so disappointing.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Well I expect them to have enough server capacity this time
A big ol' laffo at that.

Actually, wait. That paid early access thing is going to be a hilarious shitshow, isn't it? Oh my god.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I have no interest in playing any Diablo that's not 3.
TBH I bought the GoG version of D1 a while back, and if you can accept it as a game of its time it's actually a pretty good play.

People go on about D2's atmosphere, particularly as compared to D3's, but it has nothing on D1 imo.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Opt-in PvP in an otherwise-PvE game is fine so long as it a) does not reward significant PvE power, b) does not force PvE design to conform to PvP ideals and/or balance, and c) does not drain development resources from PvE content.

There's an approximately zero percent chance that all three of those are going to be true in a Blizzard game.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm thinkin' necro this season. Spear and Nova are both good and fun builds, and the class is far and away the most fun to level (even IF levelling will be shorter due to the seasonal thinger).

If only Masquerade wasn't such rear end as a Gift set.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
My big issue with the WD is one of feel. Most of its abilities just don't have that sort of visceral impact that so many of the other classes' do.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

I feel like that's just ranged characters/builds in general. It's just not going to feel the same as bashing heads with a melee character.
I dunno, the wizard has some pretty pop-y stuff. Disintegrate feels (and sounds!) amazing, Meteor is great, even something like Magic Missile has a bit of weight to it that, imo, WD spells just don't have.

Special shoutout to Arcane Orb - Obliteration for most wasted potential.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
PoJ Lightning Tempest Rush is a better WW build than WW itself is, imotbqh.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mind over Matter posted:

I haven't played close enough attention, what will make it trivial this season? Is there a good early node in the tree?
One of the choices for the second node is "gear has no level requirements". You can get it at level 18 or so, I believe.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

including a big one, I was using the wrong blood siphon rune through 141, and not taking advantage of the extra 200% damage.
If you're playing Trag's, at least, the 2pc gives Siphon all runes. Inarius and LoD will want to be careful, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

necro with the boots that give bonus speed for 10 seconds after you use your dash is also super fast
The absolute worst part of switching from speed to push is losing Stuart's, yeah. Those things are great.