Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hailthefish posted:

Now I'm lusting after the Keychron Q5, am I turning into a keyboard weirdo?

I want to get the barebones version of this with the knob soon, right now I'm on the full-sized C2 since I love a numpad but want to build something custom to celebrate landing my new job. Gateron browns are my go-to switch since I type for a living and don't play competitive FPS games but I know milky yellows are what all the Youtube enthusiasts are losing their poo poo over. Should I switch to them? It's all the same price but I'm worried about losing the tactile feedback of the bump in changing to linear switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really like the keycaps Niz includes with their boards, but they don't sell them separately. Does anyone have suggestions on sets that are close to this? https://www.nizkeyboard.com/collections/peripherals/products/niz-2019-new-x87-electro-capacitive-bluetooth-keyboard-non-rgb-white-black

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The type 6 is pretty much exactly the height profile and type thickness I was looking for, thanks!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just got my Q5 from Keychron and am upgrading from the C2 (which I like a lot), here are my first impressions:

- Holy poo poo this thing is heavy. Like, noticeably. It won't be sliding around or anything.
- Not a big fan of the relatively low maximum angle, I had propped my C2 all the way up and this is a few degrees lower. I'm going to see if I can wedge something under the back end to raise it a bit. I understand why they didn't include adjustable legs as it wouldn't have been very stable, but still.
- Not the biggest fan of the sound! It's very comfortable to type on (I went with the prebuilt option and got the knob version and Gateron browns since it was only $20 more, cheaper than buying the same switches separately) but I miss the loud clack of the C2 with the same switches. It's actually too quiet IMO, I wish the experience was louder and less smooth? I could just be neurotic here. There's also a bit of a metallic ping if you really go all in at the center of the board while typing.
- The included quick start guide mentions that it should have shipped with an included key puller, hex key, and screwdriver but literally none of that was in the box

Also drat DHL kicked this thing around, the box was absolutely crumpled at the corners

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 27, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FistLips posted:

I’ve seen mentioned that these are in the very bottom of the box, under some foam or somwthing, so maybe check again?

Oops, you’re right: all four pieces were smushed under the bottom layer of foam

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

VelociBacon posted:

Best place online to find a coiled aviator style cable for my nerd keyboard? It must be pinku (that's Japanese for pink) or any other dope colour. It must come apart into two sekushon (that's Japanese for sections). Oh, it should be pretty long as I don't want my kēburu (cable) to touch other things (I have my water above my keyboard and it can get wet). Thanks goons.

CableMod?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I want to replace the knob on my Keychron Q5 with a knurled brass one, has anyone tried replacing theirs? (I assume it's the same across the other Q models) GMMK sells them but I'm not sure that it will fit, and I'm seeing conflicting posts on Reddit.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm trying to put together a guide for a friend on how to build a mechanical keyboard for gaming that's under $100, what are some good, cheap barebones boards to look into? I'm going to suggest the $24 70-pack of Gateron milky yellow switches but that's all that I'm set on so far. Unfortunately the GAMAKAY LK67 board with a knob that I like seems to have gone up in price to $69.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nestharken posted:

I actually just put together a keyboard as a gift using a Keychron K4 as the base and wound up leaving in the included G Pro Brown switches 'cause an upgrade would have been kinda marginal. A couple pieces of advice if you want to go down the customization route:

1) A switch sampler pack is a (relatively) cheap way to try out a bunch of different options for a lot less than a single full set. This is a decent cross-section of the currently trendy ones.

Woah, this is just what I needed for keyboard testing at work. I'm going to see if I can expense one of these

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Keychron boards and really like the Q5 but the typos/misspellings/errors all over their website drive me up the wall

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LionArcher posted:

okay, Keychron's new board's released announced are crazy tempting/I want one.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v1-qmk-via-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40026442170457

I love my Q5 but it must legitimately weigh like 10 pounds. I'm glad they're putting out a cheaper option

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So my old K4 finally gave it up, but just in time for the for Prime Day deals. I snatched up a k2 hotswappable from Amazon. Due to a snafu with Amazon, they sent me the wrong model, but instead of asking for a return/replace just gave me a refund and let me keep it. So free K2. However, it's brown switches, which are ok, but I'd like to swap out a few for blues. Can someone point me to some hotswappable blue rgb switches? I see a ton on amazon, but I can't quite determine if they are the right ones. I just wanted a few. Keychron sells them direct, but $45 with shipping is a bit steep I think.

You can get 88 Gateron blue switches for $22 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Switches-Underglow-Compatible-Mechanical-Transparent/dp/B07K82YQM4

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I bought a Cherry switch tester with 9 different varieties in it, and man those greys have hands. I can't imagine typing for extended periods of time on either the linear or tactile one, but they might be great for my caps lock, enter, and other keys I'm afraid of hitting by accident

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rexxed posted:

MX greys are usually seen in space bars for boards with MX Blacks. Similar to greens for blues, but I like to type on greens. It's not really done any more except for companies like Cherry.

I still game on this board and can't imagine putting a grey on the space bar. I'd feel like I'd miss at least one jump because I just brushed it and it didn't depress all the way

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm testing a 60% keyboard for work and god drat have I been spoiled by having a volume knob directly on my board

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I had the chance to mess around with Corsair's new wireless 60% K70 keyboard over the last few weeks (fully hot swappable with Speed Silver switches) and man it's so nice to use... apart from the lack of arrow keys, delete key, and physical volume controller. I'm a very light typer and if they had those three things included I probably would have kept it for myself as a daily driver. So close and yet so far...

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 29, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Razer has a whole line of expensive membrane keyboards built on the assumption that you won't have to deal with rebound from physical switches bouncing back into place

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just switched the Gateron Browns in my Q5 (only the letter keys) with Cherry Speed Silvers and it feels so good to type on.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Keychron just dropped the 40% Q9:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q9-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40139357749337

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I don't hate the look of it but I would like to see a keyboard that has all the keys on it that are in one long line rather than stacked.

Speaking of stacked, are there any mechanical keyboards that are set up like a typewriter's keys? As in stepped up?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/pop-keys-wireless-mechanical.920-010708.html

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you order from Keychron and the board turns out to be in any way defective, you're hosed. You really should order a Keychron board through Amazon--then at least you can return it if you need to.

They also now have boards from the Q series available through Prime (1-4, no Q5s and up yet) if you don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to get shipped from China

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gearman posted:

If there isn't a big rush, pre-orders for this are live now and they should be shipping in November. $139, TKL, hotswap, wireless, includes swirches and keycaps, and has a very clean aesthetic in a variety of colors.

https://store.monokei.co/products/monokei-standard?variant=43062815228129

drat this looks good, I love the indented caps key

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I like Gateron browns just fine

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

look at these fools with their opinions

people that like browns think they want a tactile switch, but ultimately just want a linear switch. There is very little difference.

I will admit to this though. I replaced all of the letter keys on my board with Cherry Speed Silvers and kept the browns for everything else other than the shift keys. There's very little difference but I can definitely feel the tactile bump on say, the numpad, because I'm not mashing those buttons.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is the GMMK 2 96 a decent choice (either barebones or prebuilt) if I want to try out a 96%/1800 layout keyboard? I don't care about RGB lighting and will be typing more than gaming.

The alternative would be something like an Akko which has a basic model that is cheaper but isn't hotswappable. I've ruled out keyboards like the Keychron K4 because I'd like some separation with the numpad rather than all the keys smooshed together in a big long block.

Yes, it's great. I have a prebuilt 96% board for a project I'm working on and it's pretty good for the price

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Here's a cool keyboard I saw on display at the industrial design section of the new National Museum in Oslo:

I guess it's like 150%?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

.Z. posted:

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this monstrosity, but drat is it expensive. $650 oof.
https://phenotype.us/products/gb-witf-case?variant=39460870717665

Keychron just launched something similar today for $200~ (no numpad though) https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zotix posted:

I'm considering getting a new keyboard. I currently have a corsair k70 that I've used for about 7 years. It's old, it's dirty, it probably should be replaced. I've seen the Wooting 60HE, but I have no idea when I'd actually get it due to the backorder. It is a 60% keyboard I believe, and I've always used a full size so that might be an issue, but I'm not sure. Seems odds, but I might love it.

What are some solid keyboards for ~$150? I'm not too interested in building my own. I should add, I'm mainly gaming on it. MMO's, RPG's, etc.

You can get a Corsair K70 Pro Mini Wireless (also 60%) for $140 open box on Amazon right now. I have one with Speed Silver switches and I love it, it would be my daily driver if it had dedicated arrow keys. Otherwise the K70 Pro-non mini is like $125 open box on Amazon

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really like the Keychron V1. It tilts up higher than my Q5 and do I need a numpad?

Built this one with Gateron Milky Yellows and experimented with taping the back of the board. I don't know if I actually like the sound more, I feel like the spacebar is muffled.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I finally discovered a third-party knob that's compatible with Keychron boards:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

other people posted:

I have never had a mechanical keyboard but I was always doing typos on the "international US" layout logitech mx keyboard I have so for some reason I bought a nuphy air75 because it looked kinda cool and I thought it might be nicer to type on. Well, I don't think I like it. It has the red switches and I tried the brown as well and compared to the logitech this nuphy is like typing on mush. I don't think my poor weak fingers can handle this.

I will force myself to use it for at least a week but I think I may be learning that mechanical keyboards are not for me.

Also the box has some anime lady on it???

To be fair, the Nuphy uses low-profile switches, right? I think those are generally bad across the board IME

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

drat, after messing around with the Keychron V1 for a few months, I think I'm actually ready to sell my Q5. No one man should have that much aluminum on their desk

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's happening: Keychron has finally announced wireless versions of the Q series https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-q1-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I want a wireless V1. I'm trying to sell my Q5 because it's too heavy, I don't really need a numpad, and I didn't realize that the Q series didn't have adjustable feet (which makes sense because of the weight, but it's still annoying IMO).

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 23, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why do people like low-profile keyboards? I tested out the Razer Deathstalker V2 Pro and it felt like rear end

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If anyone's looking for replacement knobs for their Keychron boards, I bought this one in gold and it fit both my V1 and Q5 perfectly: https://omegakeys.ca/products/encoder-knobs?variant=42679146283232

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Unsinkabear posted:

I think they were specifically talking about that slightly exploded 75% type of board layout. If you're looking at that and not throwing in 65% or different kinds of 75%, there's really not much that fits in 4 keys in the side column instead of just 3. Which is weird, because the space is there.

(KBD doesn't have an entry 75 that I'm aware of, and everything Royal Kludge and Nuphy make are compact layouts where everything is smooshed together into a single glorious but impractical rectangle)

The Asus Rog Azoth is a 75% board with 4 keys on the side, but it also has uninterrupted F keys because of the width of the OLED screen (also it's $250, so...)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I very much enjoy my V1, FWIW

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really liked the 60% Corsair K70 mini pro wireless when I tried it out but don't get a 60 if you're the kind of person who needs dedicated arrow keys (or a volume roller/knob, most don't have one). It was a dealbreaker for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mariooncrack posted:

A NK65 from novelkeys might be what you're looking for.

Speaking of, I caved and bought a bag of their mystery keys after seeing how many people on the mechanical keyboard subreddit got Gateron Ink Black switches