Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hello! I'd like a mechanical keyboard but I'm based in the UK. Can anyone recommend any UK outfits similar to WASD that do nice mechanical keyboards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's been my first time down the rabbit hole with an Akko 3068 that I really like, and I recently got my first set of custom keycaps. But the one thing I wish I could change out was the frame. I've had a look online and it doesn't look like you can get aftermarket frames for the Akko 3068 (a bit of digging suggests that standoffs are in the wrong place for other brands). It's currently a 90's lookin grey frame, which looked great with the original keycaps but not so much with my new ones. I'd love to paint it black. Would anyone be able to share any knowledge on spray painting plastic? Is that possible/even a good idea, or will I end up with a lumpy sticky frame that looks and feels bad?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Akko 3068 is a rebrand of Tada68, so you should look for a case for that. Tofu65 for example:
https://kbdfans.com/products/in-stocktofu-65-aluminum-case

Thanks - but this reddit thread seems to suggest that the standoffs don't match up? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ce0u42/does_anybody_know_if_this_case_will_fit_an_akko/

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Oh, I just assumed that what they're selling is this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akko-Maxkey-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Mechanical/dp/B07MW7QXD8
If it different, then yeah, the standoffs may be at different places.

I got a retro-themed Akko 3068, modded it with Gateron CAP Yellows and padded it with felt. It feels amazing to type on.

I have the same retro-themed model. It's great (but as its my first mechanical keyboard I got overexcited and bought some new keycaps to customize it a little).
I'd be curious to know more about what you mean exactly when you say padded it with felt.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 10, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Now I'm going into the office a lil more - and would like something I can use between my PC and my iPad - I'm looking at the Keychron K7. Anyone got any experience with it? Those mint/banana switches seem fun. What's it like sizewise compared to your average Akko/Ducky 65%?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nestharken posted:

If you don't get a lemon, it's a nice portable keyboard, but if you do... well, this thread and the Internet at large are full of horror stories about Keychron's infamously bad customer service. The standard recommendation seems to be to buy from Amazon so that you have some protection if you get a dud.

Size-wise, it's got the same footprint as any other 65% with a minimal bezel, but it is very thin--a little bit thicker than your average tablet with case, and almost exactly as thick as most laptops these days. I carry a tablet and the K7 together in an A4 folio pouch and it doesn't feel bulky at all. As far as switches go, I got one with the banana switches and an extra set of the mint ones 'cause I couldn't decide between the two. I'd suggest going with the banana switches unless you like tactiles that are *really* loud and heavy.

Your other option with the same approximate feature set is the Nuphy Air60, but it *just* came out this week, so reviews are spotty, and it has a more... distinctive aesthetic sense.

Just chiming into say I absolutely fell in love with the look of the Nuphy Air60 following your post, and although it's out of stock on their website with the browns I've just found one brand new on Ebay for RRP, along with that really nice folio case/ipad stand. Reviews seemed solid, so just went for it. Will report back once it arrives this week.

It's also gonna be my first hotswappable keyboard (the ekko I've been using for a couple years is all soldered in) - are gateron/keychron low profile switches interchangeable? It'd be fun to start trying out some other switches - and although the low profile market isn't exactly huge at the moment, it might be fun to try out banana optical switches if compatible.

Either way I'm keen to finally give reds a go, just out of curiosity. Not blues, obviously, because I'm not a degenerate.

edit: Oh, if anyone else is curious, I found an answer, which is that Keychron use a slightly diff design than Gatereon so they're not interchangeable. Are Red/Blue/Brown currently the only low profile MX switches that Gateron do?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Just to chime in that my nuphy60 arrived today and I'm really loving it so far. Right shift is smaller than i'm used to but it only took a little bit of typing to get acclimatised. Feels and sounds great, and the low profile/size/wireless keeps the desk space nice and quiet. I'm sure keyboard obsessives will find something to wanna tweak in it all but so far so good for me. A huge step up from my ekko in a lotta ways. Keys and case look fantastic too.

Their windows software seems a lil fussy - doesn't seem to detect the keyboard in wireless mode - but it sounds like they update firmware for their kbs on the reg.

Screama posted:

This got lost in the Exit Strat Chat, but I don't believe Gateron do, but other brands like Kailh have heaps, and Cherry have two.

Thanks! They threw in a few free samples of different coloured gaterons, so I can sit there clicking the blue switch in my fingers (with all the lights off and curtains drawn, obviously)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Just got my nuphy air 60 in today and so far I love it. It's... bigger than I thought it would be? But very needs-suiting. The itty bitty right shift will take some getting used to but cost of doing business with small keyboards. Feels nice.

Had mine for a couple weeks and I absolutely adore it. Battery has yet to need a recharge. I really like the folio case, which works well with the iPad (although I wish it could raise the tablet up a little like the official apple keyboard case does). The little right shift key takes some getting used to. What switches did you get? These are my first gateron browns and I just can’t imagine going back to cherry browns now.
I only wish I could use the fn key to switch the number row into a function row, which is something other similar sized keyboards do. You have to do a hard toggle with this one, which is a pain. Nuphy seem on it with the firmware updates however.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

I bought a Keychron C2 as an intermediate step and so far I'm honestly not a huge fan? It doesn't seem to be a lemon, but maybe I just got too used to my massive mushy surfboard of a Logitech g510. I have to learn to type all over again and it's very awkward and the keyboard's weird combination of missing features I would like and having a bunch of features I have no use for is perplexing. I got the gateron browns and they're also surprisingly loud but hopefully I'll get used to them eventually. It just feels and sounds.. cheap, I guess? I might try some different keycaps at some point.

And if I still hate it at the end of all that, it wasn't exactly a hugely expensive one. So it might very well feel cheap because it is cheap.

Reds might be more up your street if you like 'em mushy.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If anyone's been holding out for one of those new Nuphy keyboards, they're back in stock, as are the low profile Gateron switches and alternate keycaps.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard for writing, both text and code. There'd be basically no gaming happening on this keyboard. What should I be looking for if I want a keyboard with the features (in order of priority):

- Portable (Specifically portable enough that it can fit in some kind of carrying pouch that I can carry around in my backpack and it won't get banged up)
- Works with Linux
- Ergonomic
- Wireless
- Mechanical
- Backlighting

I checked out a few popular keyboards like the Ducky One 2, the Anne Pro 2, and this group buy Monokei that people were talking about a few posts ago, and those look really good except I'd really like an ergonomic form factor. Does such a keyboard exist?

This might be a bit late a reply, but if you're still working it out, I really recommend one of the Nuphy portable keyboards. I have a Nuphy Air60 + Folio which is now the only keyboard I use - I take it between work and home. It hits all the points in your post - super ergonomic, proper mechanical keys, backlighting if you want it, and designed with portability in mind. They do a 75 key version which has all the function keys. Can't recommend it enough.

(I have no idea about Linux though. It has a physical switch to go between Windows and Mac - I can only assume the Windows switch will work with Linux well enough?)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Thanks for the reply, I still haven't bought anything so it's not too late at all. This does look nice. The folio case is really appealing. I'm curious about your comment on the ergonomics though, since it looks like the standard keyboard layout. What makes it especially ergonomic?

Oh, by ergonomic do you mean one of those weird lil split keyboards? If so then yes this is just a standard layout,, although it’s a special kind of mechanical keyboard with shorter keys so it’s more portable. I probably used the wrong terminology - it’s just very compact. Does come with little risers to raise the back a bit though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It looks Vaporwave as gently caress and I love it. The knob, the number keys, everything. It should come with a free crate of Fiji water.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

looks like a bad skeumorphic UI from 2003

Yeah. That’s why it’s good.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DeusIgnis posted:

Other than Keychron, I feel like the mechanical keyboard world isn’t very friendly to Apple users. Anyone know of any other brands that support the bitten fruit?

Nuphy is what you're looking for! Really gorgeous keyboard designs, good prices, good options for keycaps and switches, looks nice and clean on a desk with a splash of colour here and there. I've got their low profile Air60 and I use it across both Windows, MacOS, and sometimes when on the go with a tablet. Really happy with it! My only regret is not going for the 70key version which has all the proper function keys with macos icons.

The packaging has a big ol anime lady on it though, so you may need to open it in secret, away from your loved ones or housemates.

DeusIgnis posted:

Anyone else carry a keyboard with them in their bag? If so, do you use a case for it?

Also the nuphy Air60 comes with a nice folio case that doubles as an ipad stand.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DeusIgnis posted:

Thank you to all that responded about my Apple question. I guess I left out my main concern, in that a lot of keycap packages tend to leave out the Command keycap.

Nuphy ones come with command and option keys by default yeah. They come with windows equivalents you can swap out but they're Apple keyboards first and foremost. If you go for a model with function keys they're more or less the same as the function keys you'd get on a magic keyboard in terms of media/brightness/etc icons

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I love my Air60, but as it's almost entirely used for when my laptop is docked at my desk nowadays, I'm kind of missing the lack of function/media keys. I don't really want to go out and get a whole new keyboard, but an (ideally wireless) knob + buttons would be ideal. Just something I can set up on my desk and use as a media remote. Would need to work with MacOS. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's the kind of thing where Amazon/Ebay/Etsy are absolutely flooded with cheap looking suggestions so I can't really trust Google on this one.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

Isn’t the Air 60 qmk compatible? If so you could just do media controls with layers.

I don't know what either of those things mean, but like it does have media controls via the fn key and the number keys. But it's kind of an awkward manoeuvre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Love my Air60 but I think it's time for a function row and full size keys again. I see Nuphy have started preorders for their Halo75, which looks great, and I've been really happy with the balance of price and quality before with them.

But does anyone have any experience with their new switches? The listed types are some Gatereon collab, including Mint, Banana, and some other type of flavour probably.

I'm using the compact/flat version of Gatereon browns on this Air60 and I'm pretty happy with them if that helps contextualise what I'm looking for.

edit: wait, the switch types are 'mint' 'raspberry', 'lemon'.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 3, 2024