Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I may be purchasing a thing

BUY IT :justpost:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Tales from the Borderlands.

Just a drunken adventure
Been on the fence about this one because I've never played an episodic game so I don't know what to expect. Enjoyed the regular Borderlands 1/2 and am keeping an eye out for them on xbox for multiplayer with the fiance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ferremit posted:

And super well equipped too!

:drat: that's one hell of a trailer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Best put it out.
Sorry we just finished rewatching The IT Crowd so this is all I could think of

Septic inspection on the possible new house today...since the current owners have no idea where the tank is and there's no record WTF? Have a massive list of measurements to get while I'm there as well so we can start planning furniture layout.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

... I just bought two more parts Rx-7's to finish a project. HELP ME I'M TURNING INTO CAT INTERCEPTOR!
You say that like its a bad thing

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fireworks chat: The trailer park yokels behind us managed to aim a rocket at the wall.

It's still completely loving bright out, sunset isn't for another few hours.
Our neighborhood was nearly silent...until 3 loving AM in the morning when they started launching mortars from the cul-de-sac making all the dogs go nuts. Great way to start the day :fuckoff:

Previa_fun posted:

Northwest Arkansas is similar. Think what you will about WalMart, but they have been a huge pillar of the economy here for the past several decades. Home prices in the major cities are rising like crazy and houses are going under contract sometimes within hours of being listed. The wife and I bought a house in a small town 8 miles south of the NWA metro area because it's so much cheaper down here and our commute to work is still only 20 minutes.
Seeing the same thing is East TN right now, most houses selling in under a week at asking price or better. We toured a house less than 48 hours after it hit the market, put in an offer right after the tour (we had walked around and decided we wanted it unless something was really off inside). By the end of that day they had four other tours and two other offers, luckily we put in a pretty aggressive offer and they took it. It needs some updates (kitchen/baths) and maintenance (deck/floors) but the price was right and the location is both amazing and ideal commute for both of us. Inspection tomorrow then hopefully closing at the end of the month.

LloydDobler posted:

As many reviews said, the new DooM is awesome. Been playing it all day.
Knew I was forgetting a game during this sale. Know the craptop won't play it but sim rig should. Does it play ok with a controller?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, it's official. The wife and I have done something really stupid.

Now to go enlist a friend to take some proper pictures for the Post Your Ride thread.
Looks like a properly AI stupid thing, well done.

House chat: when I called a mortgage company to see if they could compete with my credit union the guy was surprised how low of a price range we were shopping. He didn't take long to try recommending we shop in the 3x or more salary range at which point I nicely hung up on him. At our max limit we would be able to afford it if one of us lost our jobs, with both of us working and having good jobs it'll leave plenty left over for vacations and race cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

The SMG transmission is not a manual. I hate getting my hopes up with filtered searches only to be dashed with lies.
Is the E63 SMG as failure prone as the E46 SMG?

Add something to your search string to pull crap like that out. Most of my craigslist alerts have things like "-smg -automatic -paddle". Sure occasionally it'll filter out something incorrectly but it cuts down on how many ads you open only to be disappointed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.
Now that it's official, here's the official congrats. If your pig of a truck wasn't on the other side of the country I'd buy it as a tow rig. Don't think we have enough trucks going out that way anymore to smuggle it back either. If you're up for it I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see a project thread for the makerspace and all the other stuff you see over there.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hes a social eater so if you dont sit with him while he eats he wont eat then he'll puke bile on the floor by the bed but otherwise he's a pretty good boy
We're babysitting a social shitter....he will not take his morning dump unless you're standing there to observe it

Rhyno posted:

We're playing it by ear for now. And since I have free parking at mom's and dad's I figure I can do whatever I want car wise. I still want an Evo but realistically that's 1/4 the cost of a house. I can get a house and THEN get an EVo.
I hate to say don't buy a car but house then car is the way to go....most of the time. If you can get a garage space for the new toy at your current place that might be the way to go assuming you can tolerate whatever BS you're enduring for the 'nearly free housing'

cursedshitbox posted:

I've chatted with two ex-pats that live here. one has been here for almost 4 years, from rural TN. His biggest complaint? the random shutting the water off in his building for maint. The other is from LosAngeles. He had no major gripes, but his parents were from Russia.

oh did I mention we can visit CERN on the regular? :D
I'm in half-rural TN and water shut off for maintenance is a common occurrence, what a whiner. Think we still have a small system (and contacts) at CERN...I'll send some emails

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I need to start clearing out my two sheds of 'junk' so we have less poo poo to move. Tons of E21/E30/VW parts that I'll probably never use and aren't worth trying to sell. My brother hauled off a truck load of wheels and tires (mostly his) yesterday but still has a full load of his E30 parts stash. E21/E30 stuff not worth selling is going on relevant facebook groups for free and whoever shows up first to take it away gets it.

Also have to figure out the best way to get rid of a ton of R/C poo poo I haven't touched in years. Several helicopters, planes, cars/trucks along with enough spare engines and miscellaneous parts to last someone a while. Really don't want to sell things piece by piece so I'll probably end up selling it as one big lot for cheap-ish.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Copying from Kimbo's thread, in case there are some Lotus experts looking on a Saturday afternoon:

:siren:

I stopped at an estate sale near me today and found a '72 Elan. 59k miles, original dead owner. Passed at $19k, because I couldn't find reliable pricing... they want the car sold by 3 today... thoughts?

I'll send it to a friend with an Elan and let you know what he says, until then Hagerty puts it at 20-44k depending on condition - https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1972-Lotus-Elan-Sprint?id=57870

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Thanks, I agree... in looking, I think that 25k is right about where it's at. Leaves for about 5k profit, but not enough to make it worthwhile. When I first started looking, it seemed (seems?) like they bring a lot more money in England...

From my friend

quote:

Looks pretty clean. I suspect the headlight vacuum system has a leak based on the lights being up. S4s are probably the least sought, but that is a good price for a 1 owner at that mileage. They are not super complicated but can be finicky and parts can be hard to come by.

LMK if he needs any advice.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Well I finally got the stupid fuckin hold removed for fall registration and I'm officially enrolled in senior design 1.

:suspense:

Also taking heat transfer 2 (because I hate myself) and an elective called "small satellite payloads & integration". Should gel nicely with my extracurriculars.

The wild part is that for the first time in like 2 years, I've only got class 2 days a week... meaning I may even have the spare time for an internship, if I can get in to one.

Maybe... I won't crash and burn?

You got this :hfive: Senior design is fun and that elective sounds like way better stuff than my college offered.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

scuz posted:

In other news, I've become obsessed with MR2 AW11s because I
1.) already attempted to service a VW W8 so how hard could this be, and
2.) I like things that are angled, and
3.) I want my "race car" to not pull any punches and let me know just exactly how good/bad of a driver I am.
Do it, they're great cars. I've been thinking of one for a daily that isn't quite as ridiculous as a lotus 7

blk posted:

Am I out of my mind for thinking that this is a reasonable price for something I'd gladly drive to 300k?
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-318is-coupe-4/
drat that's clean. Expensive for an E30 but price isn't unreasonable considering options, year, etc. I wouldn't pay that for it but that seems to be the way the trend is going.

Fo3 posted:

E: Also does everyone else hate BAT listings now? Terribly written and all sorts of fluff and poo poo which is usually about Seller says their previous owner/the person they bought it from did/said this blah blah - So most of the time it's just some flipper chucking stuff up on BAT for their "investment". That's annoying in itself the fact but the main point is i) person who did the work or looked after it isn't selling it, ii)terrible writing - maybe because of that.
From kimbo's thread the listings are all pretty much the same because BAT writers are the ones doing it. If I remember right he wasn't really happy with the listing because it focused on crap that wasn't a huge deal while ignoring some important things that may have helped it sell higher. Honestly it seems like the auctions are declining in quality and it's the same poo poo every time for the most part but that's just IMO

House closing quickly approaching, need to get a few quotes for putting in flooring but also wondering if I should just do it myself. Going 'luxury' vinyl which seems easy as hell to install but I've never done it and obviously don't want to mess it up. May just go with the Home Depot contractors since we'll get the military discount and from when we got a fence quote they were competitive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If you spend most of your time focusing on things you really enjoy (to your own betterment) while politely/effortlessly shrugging off drama others would happily offload on you, it is certain you will be considered an rear end in a top hat merely because humans are jealous af. Other people will think you are really cool for focusing on thing - those people are your friends.
So true. I'm an rear end in a top hat because I refuse to get drawn into drama and bullshit that has nothing to do with me. Fiance is slowly getting better at ignoring things that don't matter but things still get to her a lot more than me.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My wife hates almost every car I love but I'm holding ok to the fact that one day when I can afford it I will own a GTR of some kind even if she hates it's guts
My mum used to call my dads 37 Ford his mistress because she hated the thing and he wouldn't get rid of it lol
Somehow I lucked out and my fiance actually enjoys most of the cars. She loves the Courier, wants the E30 in our wedding photos and loves cruising around the E28. She doesn't understand the 320i but understands it's sentimental and likes that I have the race car and other projects to keep me busy. Hell, she's the one that started looking for houses and insisted we had parking space for at least six cars inside.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hi, my name is Cat Interceptor and in case you missed it in that thread with waaaay too many goddamn Subarus I have a huge loving mental problem.

JFC why. WHY
The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second is embracing that problem. I'd say you're doing ok. Love that generation

So anyone have experience designing brake caliper mounting adapter brackets? Not sure if I'll mess with it before the move but I think it's time to reinstall a CAD program and start reteaching myself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do we still have a detailing thread in AI? I think Im going to need some ideas how to clean up one grotty as gently caress WRX

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Movie chat: Saw this earlier on imgur and it's relevant - https://imgur.com/gallery/GAqOU

Kingsman: Golden Circle looks like it'll be good in a fun action movie way. Had no idea about Bright until this morning but it looks decent as well.

Darchangel posted:

On a related note, just saw the teaser for Pacific Rim 2. I'm in. Love my giant robots, just not Michael Bay.

Also, Stranger Things 2!
Yes to these as well.

Even though I haven't bothered going to the theater for a movie in a while I may have to for some of these. Still want to see Baby Driver before it leaves theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Evangelicals will support anyone that gets them closer to a theocracy.
:golfclap:

cursedshitbox posted:

You need my bricknose.
I want your bricknose but it being on the other side of the country is going to be a bitch. That said I've checked with our trucking company to see what they'd charge me to load it out there and drop it off...it isn't much. They shipped the 928 for waffle house breakfast.

CommieGIR posted:

We filed all the paperwork for my wife's Passport and are working on German work visa's right now.
Nice, we'd love to end up there in a couple years. I'm at the top of the list to take over for several sites over there but those guys are in it for the long run so until someone retires or we get a new site there aren't slots available. There are plenty of spots in UK, India and a couple in Australia that we have considered.

Leperflesh posted:

If I was only ever going to play a single racing game on the PC from the last ten years, which one should I choose? And what would be the ideal controller to use with it?
Depends if you want to compete online, if so iRacing otherwise Assetto Corsa. Or if you want the best rally game get Dirt Rally (NOT dirt 1/2/3/4/etc). Controller of choice is steering wheel with pedals bolted to a cheap stand while sitting in a spare car seat.

• Locked thread