Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CT going after LaF's unhealthy obsession with internet points received from starting monthly chat threads.

Bajaha posted:

Speaking of alcoholism,

Two cases of Kirkland French vodka fit comfortably in the back of boxster

Not pictured is the case of rum in the frunk.

Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

I'm going to talk about dogs

By far the superior pet.

What's the difference between cats and dogs?

Dogs see you feeding them, petting them, taking care of them and they think "This person must be a god."
Cats see you feeding them, petting them, taking care of them and they thing "I must be a god."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Good thing your wife still has her bike. ( :D Take her car.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I haven't been keeping up with your thread... you've come a long way with that. :cheers:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

beep-beep car is go posted:

Look at this scrub who has never lived where it snows. My gas and water meters are in my basement. Electrical is on the outside though.

It snows here, but my house was built within the past 20 years. With that, main gas shutoff on side of house, electric meter on side of house (no shutoff switch, but break the seal and pull the meter and it's a disconnect), water is ~2' underground, underground and tough to get to, but possible, certainly so with a situation like TT's.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DJ Commie posted:

What sort of backwater NEC-ignoring shithole is this in? I know they make meter-only enclosures but they are supposed to be tied in directly into a main panel with a disconnect.

It's Ohio, we have our own rules. Honestly, though, I just went out and looked. There's a box, probably with some type of disconnect inside, and the meter sticks through the face of the box. Either way, open the box to disconnect power. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, it's official. The wife and I have done something really stupid.

Now to go enlist a friend to take some proper pictures for the Post Your Ride thread.

You god damned tease.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Antique radio chat -- I've got a mid-'60s solid state Magnavox console radio that my grandparents bought new. It's been dead reliable, playing digital stuffs through its Aux input for years.

However, it developed a steady 60Hz hum through all inputs. I'm assuming it's capacitors, since everything is 50 years old. I took the chassis out and there is a "regular" circuit board with about 8 capacitors on it that I assume is the processing board. There are also about 8 larger capacitors in an absolute rats nest of wiring, where each component is soldered in a mass to 2-5 other components.

I am not a soldering pro, nor can I read much from an electrical schematic. I have no problem replacing caps on a board like I see on the regular board, but I really don't want to deal with the mess of spaghetti. What are the chances of replacing the caps on the regular board taking the hum away? I have a quote from a well-known antique repair place for $200, but that seems a bit steep for $25 of caps...

Here's what I'm looking at:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Why would I care about the window when it has a second garage door?

Not that it matters, we're not gonna buy a house til after the wedding. But hey, my fiance's probably getting offered the in town promotion on monday! So we can start sacking away $500 a month towards the house down payment!

Would her promotion still let you keep the rent-free apartment? I'd ride that poo poo into the ground, putting away all the rent/mortgage money you would be paying into a fund to eventually just pay cash for a house. Mortgage-free house would be primo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I've kind of muddied the details but basically she was the community manager here. That came with a free apartment. Then her father got cancer and she needed to be there for him so she stepped down to the leasing agent position. This meant our rent was $800 a month but that's fine, it's roughly what we paid for a place half this size and here we get a garage and driveway.
The promotion will put her in charge of the community on the other side of town but drops our rent back to sub $100 a month. So yeah, we could stay here forever if we wanted. But the community rules have been tightened quite a bit. I'm now not allowed to work on cars with the garage door open and they don't even want people washing their cars in their driveways. There's a few other things that are starting to be annoying so I'm all for getting gone. We have no timetable on house buying but since we're probably gonna stay here we both are leaning in that direction.

Realistically, starting April 1st I am pretty much debt free and could sack away $500 a month towards a house.

Gotcha. In that case, what about keeping your free housing position, then rent a section of a garage or pole barn somewhere to do car stuff? Should be way cheaper than a mortgage and still let you pocket some good, long-term gravy.

Comedy option, since you're in Fort Wayne, would be to buy this place:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5501-W-Hamilton-Rd-S_Fort-Wayne_IN_46814_M42479-19209

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

More like "Help, I need a shipping container."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You sure it's not a ground loop?

Nope, I'm not sure of that at all. Whatever it is, it's strong. The hum is much louder than the input. So there's probably a single point of failure that I may or may not fix with a shotgun recapping.

Raluek posted:

Disagree, save it if you can. meatpimp, you're on the right track with the capacitors idea, but yeah that does look like a mess. It's probably a power supply capacitor, which looks like those big blue ones. It shouldn't be too hard to replace them, or even pull them one at a time to test them, but I understand not wanting to dive into that spaghetti mess.
To complicate, there's also a big silver can on the other side that contains (I think) the power supply capacitors... it's like a bundle of somethings shoved into a can.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I have no idea why anyone would open up an old electronic device and expect to find the issue without offering a sacrifice to the gods first

Solder for the solder god.

McTinkerson posted:

All pre integrated circuit electronics are super easy to diagnose. You really just need your eyes, nose and a multimeter. Maybe an oscilloscope in the very rare case. Once chips started showing up, then things get much more difficult.

So how do I get on the track of learning to diagnose that stuff? Go to the other sub that GnarlyCharlie4u linked and ask? Is there a good learning web site?

Edit: Nevermind. I don't have time to track down a bunch of random failures on decades-old equipment. Where's this coming from? Well, I had my Mirage subwoofer, circa 1993 start making some nasty poo poo noises. I threw a couple main caps at that to see what it would do... nothing. I am not going to take time to replace the IC or power amp, so I'm just replacing the whole damned thing with a Klipsch wireless one, since I wanted to get a wireless kit for the sub, anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

IMO, you should just pitch the guts and replace it with a Sonos or something. If you're really sentimentally attached to it then... RIP your freetime and enjoy your new retirement project.

What Sonos would you suggest? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but there's gobs of space in the console. I could get any plate amp and put it in there, along with some type of bluetooth controller and probably be good.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 7, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.

So many questions... why Ukraine? Is "The Ukraine" insensitive? On a scale of "incredibly to unbelievably," how different is the cost of living between Ukraine and the Bay Area? What are you filling your maker space with? How are you sourcing the tools? Is the market open, or do you have to pay off the government to do business?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

beep-beep car is go posted:

Look, if nobody else is going to say it, I will:

This looks awesome and I'm jealous.

Absolutely. Please start a thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fo3 posted:

While it looks like everyone else is having fun I was doing boring poo poo like a front end rebuild today.
What does everyone do to hold the rubber pads/spring mounts in place on a mcpherson strut? I was doing that today and there's no way I could keep them in place while uncompressing the spring while keeping an eye on both the top and bottom ones at the same time and while holding the rattle gun and strut.

I was going to use tape or glue but that needs the rubber to be clean and degreasing the rubber just made it swell up and it doesn't fit anymore :lol: . But I'm still asking because I wasted 3 hrs today on one side anyway, still have to do the other side properly tomorrow. (thinking about getting new rubbers of course but they're $30 ea here. Still might redo todays job so replace both, but wondering what other people do out of curiosity because these people didn't when they fitted lowered spring on blown shocks ).
This car, this loving car has drat lowered springs but completely hosed everything else, who the gently caress replaces springs but (e: does) no other maintenance?

The biggest thing to remember for me is to keep the spring and strut mount indexed with the strut.

For reassembly, I put the compressed spring over the strut, then the strut mount I barely push onto the shaft and put the nut on. That holds everything in place, and then slowly decompress the spring, keeping the partses in line. Am I missing the operative part of your question?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Some realtor's assistant is getting loving fired.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7022-Laver-Ln_Westerville_OH_43082_M48109-37228

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

They fixed it, whatever it was. You have a print screen button.

nm posted:

They fixed it, whatever it was. You have a print screen button.

Yup, and I'd be banned for posting it directly. It's changed now, show's over. But drat, I've never seen a fuckup that bad published publicly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I took a Michigan left and my car sputtered out and died, wouldn't turn over.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I floored it in second gear when it gave out which is why I at first thought I blew my engine up so blech

It was probably flooded

It was the universe punishing you for driving like a dick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Terrible Robot posted:

Wish it would punish you for being such a sanctimonious rear end in a top hat all the time.

Because not yielding right of way and turning in front of oncoming traffic is such a laudable action? :bravo:

I may be an rear end in a top hat, but I'll admit when I'm wrong. :wink:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 10, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

:vince:

Not sure how you got that from his words. Do you know what a Michigan left is?

Nope, I'm a dumbass. I assumed it was an appropriation of the Pittsburgh Left colloquialism!

Sorry, TT!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it was an empty highway with a 55mph speedlimit so why not??? :thunk:

there was no oncoming traffic and obv i yielded.

See above, sorry TT!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cursedshitbox posted:

Six hours from now I board a train that takes me to Kiev then to Pripyat/Chernobyl.

Do you get to see the elephant's foot?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Well I hoped for better but yes he seems really proud of his lifestyle "choice" wish things would have worked out different, we tried

Yup.

The descent is eerily similar to my cousin, who I just watched die over the past 2 years from brain cancer. Just a steady-state decline that nobody else can do anything about, with everyone knowing it's a one-way road. poo poo, he's even thinning out like she did.

Except his death is entirely preventable, and a whole and fulfilling life is entirely possible. But it's not up to us. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Copying from Kimbo's thread, in case there are some Lotus experts looking on a Saturday afternoon:

:siren:

I stopped at an estate sale near me today and found a '72 Elan. 59k miles, original dead owner. Passed at $19k, because I couldn't find reliable pricing... they want the car sold by 3 today... thoughts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

http://bringatrailer.com/search/elan/

I am not Lotus expert but probably about what it's worth

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll send it to a friend with an Elan and let you know what he says, until then Hagerty puts it at 20-44k depending on condition - https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1972-Lotus-Elan-Sprint?id=57870

Thanks, I agree... in looking, I think that 25k is right about where it's at. Leaves for about 5k profit, but not enough to make it worthwhile. When I first started looking, it seemed (seems?) like they bring a lot more money in England...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gratdolances.

Get ready for that doge to be sooooo jealous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

You got the dog pregnant?

:laugh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

IT'S BECAUSE I'M HANDSOME

More like HAMsome.

:btroll:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nothing incredible, a woman at work I've always had a bit of a crush on, we got thrown to working together and after talking shop she mentions casually she's always fancied me but lucky for our SO's we're both married. Moments later she just as casually asks if my department has had the pleasure of the recent influx of Italian graduates. The words "greasy workshy wop" were used. No boner.

Torn between:

a) Italians are a race?

and

b) Awwww, she's old-fashioned.

:D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 19, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

mother gently caress i am in full on rage mode today

didn't help that I had dipshits loving with me on the road. Oh, here's a miata who thinks he's loving Senna passing three cars and then nearly ripping off my front bumper cutting in front of me, just to immediately stop and wait for 2 full cycles of the light before we both got through the turn. Here's a GTO who's loving pacing me for some reason, driving 10 under until I get over to pass at which point he starts pacing me up to 60; I slow and get back behind him, rinse and repeat. Here's some idiot in a rav4 who's matching speed with slow traffic even though our lane is fully clear, and randomly stepping on the brakes every couple seconds.

And since I have no actual outlet for anger I post about it here! enjoy, kids

We're all here to helpfully listen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh my Gawd I feel I just stepped into a rabbit hole

Detailing never ends.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hey you gaming nerds... Amazon has the Razer Death Adder Elite Multi-Color on sale for $49.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Elite-Multi-Color-Comfortable/dp/B01LXC1QL0

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

Boobs are great but the point about nursing was more than I needed.

Clearly the opinion of a guy having no experience with boobs in full function. (They're great.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

Or possibly an internet comedy forum.

Or possibly they were just really nice tits.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KakerMix posted:

I am jealous of your car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Hey guys, I just finished installing my intercooler......

....:catstare: What the hell happened in here.

Started the month talking about cats, looks like we'll end the month talking about pussies.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

clearly thats kristin bells nipple while she was nursing

Lolling at a Cage post. Truly end times. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

scuz posted:

Pro-tip: If you're gonna break your ankle, make it the fibula. Bonus points for the left foot.

Christ, that's a nasty break. Will they have to use hardware to fix it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nerds.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I was eating dinner last night, having baked tilapia. It was as good as tilapia can be, I guess... There I was, minding my own god damned business, chewing my food and I bit down, immediately finding a bone. Now that's not unheard of with tilapia, but certainly uncommon. But that's not the strange bit. How I found it was the strange bit. I was chewing like normal and bit down on my molars. Immediately I felt a stabbing pain above my upper jaw.

The first I noticed the bone was as I was biting down, driving the bone directly between two molars and through my gum. :wtf:

I reached back and pulled and got about 3/8" and it snapped. Luckily, there was enough left to still grab. I got a pair of tweezers and proceeded to pull out another half loving inch of bone with a nice blood stain showing that it was fully 1/4"+ embedded into my upper jaw.

That's some weird poo poo.

I rinsed like crazy with Listerine and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to infection. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I used to eat Tilapia until I found out where most of it comes from :)

It comes from the store. :D (Really my daughter pointed it out and wondered why we had never had it before. I told her we had, but she wanted to try anyway.) I don't object to it, but I agree that it's tasteless and needs to be well seasoned.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's a trash fish

just get cod, it's almost as cheap and tastes a million times better

Cod has never been on my radar... what's the best source?

• Locked thread